ADVERTISEMENT

South Piedmont 2020 Outlook & Predictions

Chris_Hughes

Staff
Feb 13, 2004
Year in and year out the SPC is one of the best 3A conferences. What are your thoughts on this league for 2020? I feel Kannapolis (A.L. Brown) is the most talented and Central Cabarrus will be a tough team, but Cox Mill may be the team I'm really going to keep an eye out for.

Senior QB Varney Farhnbullah returns for the Chargers after passing for 2670 yards and 27 TD's to just 10 picks. He also had his best game passing against A.L. Brown as he torched the Wonders secondary for 348 yards.

Kannapolis also has a very solid quarterback in rising junior Cam Kromah who really came on late and passed for 1685 yards and 14 TD's.

I'm not ready to make my final predictions just yet, but here is how I'm leaning in May.

1. Kannapolis
2. Cox Mill
3. Central Cabarrus
4. NW Cabarrus
5. Concord
6. J.M. Robinson
7. West Cabarrus

A few other observations:
-I think Concord will be much improved but I just don't know if I can say that the Spiders are back.

-It's hard to really gauge NW Cabarrus with the coaching change and the graduation of a lot of talent. However, they've got a great new coach in Eric Morman so I wouldn't be shocked if the Trojans weren't still in the mix.

-In time, West Cabarrus may be the best school in the county, but my expectations aren't high with no senior class.

-I do think Central Cabarrus has the talent to compete in the Top-3 but with a coaching change and not having spring/summer workouts for Zach Bevilacua to install his system, they'll be a little behind where he expects them to be.

-The lack of the spring/summer programs is one reason I'm high on the Wonders. It's no secret that Todd Haglar has one of the best strength programs in NC, and I think they'll be a little ahead of some of the other schools for that reason.

1. Kannapolis
2. Cox Mill
3. NWC
4. Central Cabarrus
5. West Cabarrus
6. Concord
7. JM Robinson

My thought: Kannapolis returns a strong core back and has a great QB who has improved every yr. Look out for him to make a impact. Cox Mill is said to be good this yr, I don't know who they got back but they will be in the mix. NWC is going to be OK under new leadership but what did they lose to West Cabarrus is the question. West Cabarrus has a strong staff n a good solid base of talent and I could easily see them go 7-6 overall n finishing in the middle of the pack in conference. Concord is still trying figure things out, they have talent and all but Can they win in a tough conference that keeps getting better. JM Robinson is hit the most with the addition of West Cabarrus so I think its going to take a few years to catch up with everyone else.

I feel like AL Brown will be the favorite. The others it’s hard for me to say. Concord has to figure out how to get back. I would like to see this tradition of the Battle of the Bell get back to what it use to be.

AL BROWN
COX MILL

After these two I think you could see a shootout. One new program all together, and a three schools with new coaches. Tough to get things installed and get the kids prepared.
I think West could upset some teams with that being said. It seems as though the county is doing their best to set them up for success. We can discuss the future of this conference but I feel we may waste our time. With realignment looming many of these schools could very easily move to 4a soon.

Best guess for the rest.

NWC- I like Morman he will be ready
WC- Kids will find their way to the new thing
CC- Have a stud athlete returning, can Bev get them ready in time
JMR- New coach
CHS- I hope they’re better than my prediction honestly

Reactions: Chris_Hughes
1. Kannapolis
2. Cox Mill
3. NWC
4. Central Cabarrus
5. West Cabarrus
6. Concord
7. JM Robinson

My thought: Kannapolis returns a strong core back and has a great QB who has improved every yr. Look out for him to make a impact. Cox Mill is said to be good this yr, I don't know who they got back but they will be in the mix. NWC is going to be OK under new leadership but what did they lose to West Cabarrus is the question. West Cabarrus has a strong staff n a good solid base of talent and I could easily see them go 7-6 overall n finishing in the middle of the pack in conference. Concord is still trying figure things out, they have talent and all but Can they win in a tough conference that keeps getting better. JM Robinson is hit the most with the addition of West Cabarrus so I think its going to take a few years to catch up with everyone else.

There is room for you to jump on the wonders bus. You can bring your Vik-Val 86 buddy with you.

I think Kannapolis offense will be good, I don't know about the defense they lost a lot on that side of the ball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT