ADVERTISEMENT

South Fork

Burkeforreal

Aug 21, 2006
Surely someone woulda got the South Fork thread started but I guess y’all musta been waiting on me lol. Whoever y’all is, I think the hype of south fork kinda died or it’s an unmotivated conference, just kidding, let’s get it started. I don’t know as much bout it like many of the readers do I’m just getting y’all on the map.

NConover pushed to the top of conf rankings but has clearly fell. Still a talent though. North, ugh lost some MAJOR tallent but still well coached and should hold their own (but don’t expect a playoff run) from strong JVs couple years ago? Lincolnton is lincolnton and will be a rising force in conference. Those are my thoughts but due to COVID I’ve not been on my high school espn knowledge.
Your thoughts?

BFR, it’s surely good to hear from you. I know you’ll be cheering on your knights.
Thanks for making a South Fork thread. You might have seen it , but there was a little talk about it on the thread entitled 2A rankings 3/1.
This was begun by Maiden Creek, earlier in the week..
If you’ve had the covid virus I’m truly glad you’re up and around and I thank the Lord for seeing you through it.
Let us both enjoy the season, as short as it is.Maybe it will be special because of all the complications.

Last edited:
Thank you Burke for starting this thread. I thought about it but have kinda been unmotivated to do much outside of work recently.

I sorta see this season's standings ending up similar to last years. I do believe this will be one of the best years of defensive football that we've seen since the late 90s/early 2000s.

Here's my guestimate on how the conference will shake out:

8. LNC - this is an hones question...are they even playing football this year? I think I've only seen them on the schedule for Lincolnton... (Change - none)

7. Bandys - Solid defense, I just don't think they have enough speed to compete. (Change - minus 1)

6. East Lincoln - It's not that they've stepped back, I just think other teams have stepped forward. (Change - minus 2)

5. West Lincoln - Solid team, I just don't thing there's been much change to step forward. (Change - none)

4. Newton - Talented team that could run the conference, I just don't think they have found that cohesion to perform like that. I think the Lincolnton loss proves that. (Change - minus 1)

3. Lincolnton - Had a talented team last year that just couldn't get it's footing. It appears they've found it by beating Newton. (Change - plus 4)

2. Maiden - Up there with North. Have a better team than last years. Best QB in the conference and some receivers that'll go and get it. North is that monkey on there back...can they get it off? (Change - none)

1. North Lincoln - I think it's safe to say that this is North's conference to loose. They crave redemption for last year's loss at home to Burns. They'll get there Basketball players back and start hittin on all cylinders. (Change - none)

I believe 1 and 2 are interchangeable and 3 through 6 are as well. Within one game of each other. I think we'll have a lot of tie records with some funky tie breaking.

Good luck to you Burke, and you as well Mr. Lincolnton.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Thank you Burke for starting this thread. I thought about it but have kinda been unmotivated to do much outside of work recently.

I sorta see this season's standings ending up similar to last years. I do believe this will be one of the best years of defensive football that we've seen since the late 90s/early 2000s.

Here's my guestimate on how the conference will shake out:

8. LNC - this is an hones question...are they even playing football this year? I think I've only seen them on the schedule for Lincolnton... (Change - none)

7. Bandys - Solid defense, I just don't think they have enough speed to compete. (Change - minus 1)

6. East Lincoln - It's not that they've stepped back, I just think other teams have stepped forward. (Change - minus 2)

5. West Lincoln - Solid team, I just don't thing there's been much change to step forward. (Change - none)

4. Newton - Talented team that could run the conference, I just don't think they have found that cohesion to perform like that. I think the Lincolnton loss proves that. (Change - minus 1)

3. Lincolnton - Had a talented team last year that just couldn't get it's footing. It appears they've found it by beating Newton. (Change - plus 4)

2. Maiden - Up there with North. Have a better team than last years. Best QB in the conference and some receivers that'll go and get it. North is that monkey on there back...can they get it off? (Change - none)

1. North Lincoln - I think it's safe to say that this is North's conference to loose. They crave redemption for last year's loss at home to Burns. They'll get there Basketball players back and start hittin on all cylinders. (Change - none)

I believe 1 and 2 are interchangeable and 3 through 6 are as well. Within one game of each other. I think we'll have a lot of tie records with some funky tie breaking.

Good luck to you Burke, and you as well Mr. Lincolnton.
I know nothing about this conference, but I am sure getting educated with post like this. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks Burke!...for keeping it real. A friendly boot in the South Fork fans arse’s!
I saw some ugly football last week! Typical for the opening game....but this one took the cake. Maiden at Bandys was a Chinese fire drill for both offenses ...all night! I think we need some more practice! LOL!
However, I thought both defenses played well...especially against the run. There is some excitement here in Maiden about this years team. We have a bigger than average sized line for a Maiden Team and yet....Bandys line dwarfed us! Not surprised there. The Boom Devils skill players are everywhere and they can fly! Our QB will lead the conference in passing again, because we throw it everywhere!
It’s the Blue Devil Motto these days....When in doubt.....sling that puppy! Y’all know I love a good shootout! We’ll see tonight when West Lincoln rolls in! They’ve had our number lately! I’m expecting an EPIC game! This one is HUGE!

Frankly, I don't know enough about them, yet, to make a prediction. The one GrizzlyDevil posted appears to be sensible and fair.
North lost standout running back J.Soorus along with a very smart quarterback in L.Beard.

WLON carried North and West, last week. K.Kovalchuk and T.Rathbone seemed to be all over the field for the Knights. Rathbone chased down the deep man for West (can't recall his name) who almost returned a kickoff. The announcers were already saying, "he's gone", then Rathbone came out of no where top catch him. This would have given West the lead and possibly the game but they weren't able to score, which is a credit to a stingy North defense. I heard North has people still playing basketball. I do know the Carter brothers who play football are playing basketball. Surely, Maiden is really looking forward to North as the Blue Devils won nine games in 2019. They got NL week after next. Also curious as to how North will stack up against West Mecklenburg, tonight.

Last year was Coach Glass' first season here, at Lincolnton. We only won three games but I keep hearing around town that there is a good team chemistry and that the coaching staff has really worked hard. I can only hope. We got East, tonight, who knows what will happen in this one. No doubt, Coach Lubowicz, will have the Mustangs ready.

I'm sorry Lake Norman Charter isn't fielding a varsity team. It was fun to go to games, there. Everyone sat on the same side of the field and the fans could bring their dogs. I sat beside of a Boxer, once. It was an LKN fan.

GrizzlyDevil, all the best to Maiden. The newspaper, here, had a fairly large photo of Coach Brown on its sports page, Monday. He had on his white cap with a royal blue bill with the devil image. He had a big smile on his face as though one of his defenders had blindsided their opponents quarterback. The headlines said "Coach Brown passes".... It further said his record at maiden was something like 350-50 in 35 seasons (just going off memory, here), it's not so much the wins (around 10 wins per year) that I noticed but rather the number of losses per season. Counting in my head that's only one to two losses per season meaning when a team went up against him there was a really, really good chance that the Devils were going to win. I know his efforts meant a lot to Maiden.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mr. Lincolnton. Coach Brown was a good man. More than people realized. At his memorial service his son Brian told a story that not many people have ever heard. When Tom played for LR in college, his wife was back home in PA with their first child, he would get done with school on a Friday and would start walking north and hitchhike all the way back to PA to spend the weekend with his family...he did that every weekend...it's just an example of the kind of man he was. Don't get me wrong, he grabbed my facemask and chewed me out more than once, but I knew what he was trying to get out of me.

And yes, we never lost that much. In my 4 years there we only had 9 losses, including the playoffs. (1 - 4 - 1 - 3)

I am very fortunate to say I was coached by one of the very best. Hopefully Coach Will Byrne is able to harness some of Tom's old energy and motivate the boys this year in a way Maiden hasn't seen in a while.

Coach Brown will be missed and missed very much. To see him live sleep and breathe Maiden blue and end up wearing an East Burke hat years later was something to see. No doubt he was Maiden to the core even then. Took East Burke to 3rd round in 15’ to play East Lincoln. Many of y’all came out to that one I’m sure. Can’t see EB ever going that deep no time soon but they do have a new coach so maybe they’ll buy into a good system and bring that spirit back that’s been dead since Biggerstaff left the scene.

I know I pull for the Knights but I still got that EB/Burke Co pride tucked away in the pocket. Even got some mad respect for Newton Conover being that grandpas brother was the middle school principal for a very long time and people loved him. Some of y’allif your older might know who I’m talking bout but don’t blurt his name cause it’s a dead giveaway as to who I am ha ha.

I appreciate y’all’s appreciation to this thread, and thank you for the good wishes on the Covid recovery. I had it and flushed it out, felt like a cold and that’s it so it hits everybody differ. Good to see y’all again and espacially you Lincolnton my long time poster buddy. Crappy country we living in on this day and time but at least we got alittle football and Gods grace to keep us going strong.

North also lost Ty Williams to what I saw he moved to South Carolina? Whew I just hope they don’t fall down to what they was a few years ago.

Oh hey guys. What’s up with the ticket sales and who can get into the games? I read in Lenior News Topic that differ schools have differ policies on that. Like only one that’ll let anyone come in from gate and sale tickets is East Burke due to the stadium size. Everyone else is 35 40 percent or something ? Any info? I’m out of the loop help me out. I wouldn’t mind seeing North play a 4A Charlotte school. I don’t think they ever have it haven’t in a LONG time.

GrizzlyDevil, That's a great story about Coach Brown, thumbing to Pennsylvania to see his wife and child every weekend. There is no way he could've considered his own comfort leaving Hickory on Friday, thumbing to Pa., then being back at Lenoir Rhyne for class on Monday.
I also think to play for him, someone would have to become mentally tough as well as physically tough. He would get after his players. I've seen him do it in Maiden and here. It would have to be a blessing, though. Today, it seems like it is so hard for so many people to maintain a calm when confronted with tough talk, criticism, disappointment and discipline. You certainly have a reason to be proud of having played for Coach Brown.

Maiden and West Lincoln tied at 0 at the end of the first. Both teams have fumbled twice. Maiden lost both. We lost one. Maiden currently with the ball on WL 15.

Mr Lincolnton, thank you again for the kind words.

From the high school Mr. Burke.

Maiden helps WL by giving three 1st downs off of penalties. WL scores. Tied up 6-6 with 4:28 left in the half.

14-6 WL. They come out at half and drive it down Maiden's throat. 8:54 left in the third.

Any North Lincoln updates? First time they played a 4A Charlotte school from what I gather

Saw were LNC beat West Charlotte 40 to 8. Is that an error? If it ain’t does WC suck THAT bad???

Hard to believe that was at times a nationally ranked program. Talked bout West Charlotte

That was Lake Norman that beat them

Man I’m telling ya. In my day West Charlotte was more ruthless and competitive or as much as what Mallard Creek has been. I guess nobody better take LNC for granted. Push them up on the polls alittle...unless West Charlotte is just THAT bad. I can’t get over that Man U know they are an empty shell of their former selves but dang

East laying the smack down on Lincolnton. Guess give them the crown now and get it over with.

14-14 tie. 7:47 left in the 4th. Since the last score there has been 3 turnover on downs and WL whizzed a snap over the punters head to give Maiden good field position for their score.

Maiden scores. 20-20 with 31 seconds left. Have called a timeout. Appears to line up for an xp.....it's good!!!!

21-20 Maiden.

WL has an excellent kick return team. Let's see what they do...

Honestly, I couldn't tell you who the better team was. Both teams made A LOT of mistakes and both teams only took advantage of one mistake by the other team.

Maiden absolutely has to address their turnover problem immediately or this'll be the longest short season ever.

Congrats to the Blue Devils on their win over West.
We got blown out 41-0.

Just heard that Nort beat West Meck big. Can’t recall score but it was something like 37-0

Couldn’t agree more! Grizz! Turnovers are Brutal!
I’m Hating that West Lincoln is 0-2.... they’re GOOD!
Maiden very fortunate!

It sure ain’t the West Lincoln of old. Good to see those guys fighting and making a name for themselves in this conference

North Lincoln wiped the field with West Mecklenburg. Total domination, but a very sloppy game mistake-wise. 1st quarter took 40 minutes due to penalties. What stood out was how talented the Knights head coach is. His triple option is deadly even with this group. I did ask around and the Williams kid did move to SC at the beginning of the school year. He returned to North after Christmas but is not eligible. Still, North's coaching staff has done some amazing things the past two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT