ADVERTISEMENT

South Fork week 12

Burkeforreal

Aug 21, 2006
For 12 weeks I've been happy to have been your South Fork conference posting DJ and I must say this seems to been the fastest season gone by. I don't know were time goes anymore. Appreciate all the area viewers and posts. Wscribb, I hope I didn't make you mad guy, come on back to posting. Lincolnton, good seeing you finally on. Hope your not overworked ha ha. Wolf, you helped keep it going, love hearing your views. Im happy to see I influenced or help influence 2 viewers to make user names and join the fun. Beamer, the Hibriten outsider who chimes in, keep em' coming. Can't wait to see North POSSIBLY take a crack at the big cats 4 weeks from now. Anyone else I might left off, shout out to you and you and you. I'll have a playoff SF post but reg season hate to see it end.

Lets hear ya'lls views and playoff talk

Lincolnton and Maiden: I can see the Wolves get one last howl and pull one off here. If they're playing tough now I wouldn't expect things to go easy for Maiden. A classic matchup going probably way back to the 50's. Could go down to the wire either way but I got a feeling Lincolnton will get one more W for the people dispite a hard road. Lincolnton by 7 or less.

Newton Conover and East Lincoln: this is were you experts need to step in. I'm guessing one will play another game and the other will start dribbling. Looking at the standings and the predicting brackets that's what I figure. I see Newton taking this one after scoring hard and playing tough Thrus night.

West Lincoln and LNC: Playoff prep never came at a better time for Sain and the boys.

Bandys and North Lincoln: I think so much has been said bout this one that theres not much I can add. But folks this one is one for the records and one that in the beginning nobody saw coming. You guys didn't give North much of a chance to finish 4th and had Bandys lower than that. My favorite phrase to hear- that's why we play the game.

Key to victory for North: keep Cribb coming, keep running lanes blocked off on D, screens to Williams and Sorrus extremely helpful if executed, and of course mistake free ball. It'll have to be flawless for North to stand a chance.
Key for Bandys: use that speed well, you'll need it. Flawless mistake free ball.

One of these guys will have a chance at Hibriten or should anyway if the brackets are what we see. Who knows NCHSAA may have something slightly different. Conference winner will have a nice home field advantage. As far as who wins this one....could go either way, plain and simple. May the best man win. Injury free ball fellas.

A thread within a thread. A lot of talk bout North and East going 3A next realignment. Figured I'd give my spin on that. AD and coaches at North would prob love this one- how bout North go to NW4A/3A and East join the Gaston co area teams since they're closer to that??

Its the perfect fit. None of these schools are too far away from North...except Watauga ha ha. ACentral already in, they play them all the time anyway. Hickory and Saint not far away. South not a bad drive up 321..... West Caldwell has got to go. Should be 2A next alignment cause they do have the numbers for it I THINK, don't quote me on that, and McDowell could be with the mtn area schools. Just my 2 cents if North has to jump to 3A. Along with this post what ya'll think bout that set up?

A thread within a thread. A lot of talk bout North and East going 3A next realignment. Figured I'd give my spin on that. AD and coaches at North would prob love this one- how bout North go to NW4A/3A... Just my 2 cents if North has to jump to 3A. Along with this post what ya'll think bout that set up?

North and East would slide into a 3A conference with the Iredell county 3As. No way they'd be taking those long mountain trips.

It's been an interesting season to say the least. A lot of surprises have taken place and it has flew by quickly. Thank you Burke for keeping the south fork relevant on here. As for the final week predictions:
I'll take Newton over East. What a disappointing season it has been for East given they got Dollar back and have the weapons on the outside, qb is too inconsistent. West vs. LNC, West.
My wolves against Maiden, I'm going to say we finally play a complete game and end this nightmare of a season with a win and give our young guys something to build on for next season.
As for Bandys and North, I'll take Bandys by 10 in this one. Neither team is really fast but they play sound football and don't beat themselves. Bandys defense is better against the run than North is. We went big bone Thursday night and North couldn't stop it so I believe Howard will have a nice day against this Knight defense.

As for the realignment coming, North is for sure going to move back to 3A and most likely be in the conference with South Iredell. East will be close but there are a lot of new housing developments being built right near the high school so I see them moving up just by the skin of their teeth as well. As for Lincolnton and West, the population is slowly declining due to the fact that there is nothing to do in the city of Lincolnton and people are preferring Denver because of proximity to things and more places to eat and do things down that way. City council needs to get with it and usher Lincolnton towards the 21st century and away from the good ole boy mentality of "we're never changing". Got to give people a reason to want to live here.

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
Yeah I figured it’d be Iredell co 3As with East and North mixed in but dang they’d be just as close/far away with the NW4A/3A schools as they would some of the Iredells. Watauga be the only distance thing. Wouldn’t be as hectic football wise not too hard not too soft. Lincolnton is a pretty town and they should give people a reason to stay.

I just suggested as fan of the NW 4A/3A to have North aboard because one it mixes it up alittle and it’s an old conference with a lot of tradition. Many schools have been in and out of this conference that distance wise are just as far away from the reg schools that are in it as North would be. Schools such as Huss and Ashbrook and Asheville in the 70s and 80s. Crest has been in it, AC Reynolds has been in it. East Lincoln wasn’t in it BUT they were in a conference with Hickory and Saint Stephens who are in it now and North is closer to these schools than East is.

Trust me I have nothing to gain at all from it or any agendas nor is my alma mater in this conference. They was at one time before Draughn was built but that’s not why lol. I just think McDowell and West Caldwell would have to go due to distance and numbers and North would make a good replacement. It may not and prob won’t happen just think it’s an interesting idea.

To Wolf, thank you for the appreciation you gave me for making the South Fork revelvant on the boards. Hibritens conference has no mention of it other than how good Hibriten is how they’ll stomp everybody blah blah blah and of course how crappy their competition is. No mention of the other schools except what we may say on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolf4Lyfe
More than twice the number of homes going up in the East district according to developer numbers. They're quickly closing in on North's enrollment. They are projected to pass North's numbers in only the next two years. Lincolntons enrollment shrinking. West will grow only slightly. Realignment will have East as largest Lincoln County school.

Lincolnton if they stay on the ground. Power football they showed this week will work. I’ll go with East and west might give up a score or two but won’t be close.

Obviously I’m going North all the way;)
Things I’d like to see... Cribb at LB, Ty getting involved.

Our D has given up yards but make plays when it counts. They will get some yards on ground but so will we. No turnovers and 200+ between Cribb,Soorus, and Beard we win the game.

I fully expect big night on D for key players.. The boys will be ready.

FYI.... Bandys Jv is undefeated. That will be a great game too. We have to make up Maiden game but I think the challenge is Bandy’s

Lincolnton if they stay on the ground. Power football they showed this week will work. I’ll go with East and west might give up a score or two but won’t be close.

Obviously I’m going North all the way;)
Things I’d like to see... Cribb at LB, Ty getting involved.

Our D has given up yards but make plays when it counts. They will get some yards on ground but so will we. No turnovers and 200+ between Cribb,Soorus, and Beard we win the game.

I fully expect big night on D for key players.. The boys will be ready.

FYI.... Bandys Jv is undefeated. That will be a great game too. We have to make up Maiden game but I think the challenge is Bandy’s
Will they use Williams in the JV game or will North just take their chances in JV loss and keep Williams varsity?

Id just go ahead and move williams up full-time. I think Bandys will be able to run all over the North defense given what I saw Thursday night.

Ty only saw one play Thursday night so I don’t think his quarters are up yet. My guess is he’ll do both.

And in the end.. lucky for us they judge the winner off scoreboard... not rushing yards allowed:)

Reactions: Burkeforreal
Ok guys; not meaning to ruffle any feathers here but coming from someone who just witnessed a loss from Bandys, there is not a defense in the South fork 2A that will stop Ethan Howard. Slow him down maybe just a little but nothing of significance. He is a hoss and not just a big body. He has quick feet beetween the tackles and a heads up runner. He's not just gonna run it down your throat like you would expect. By far best RB in conference. Also it helps that Bandys will be the dirtiest team you will play all season (look at the penalty yards per game).North has to score and answer every score to have a shot. My pick is Bandys

Lincolnton over Maiden. Lincolnton has came on at the end of the year. They are quick and fast on defence. Speed makes up for lack in size to an extent.

West of course over LKN as long as we dont look past to two weeks. I Don't think that will happen given what's on the line (best record in school history) and the pride the 2019 and 2020 class has.

Newton-Conover over East, Certain players on the East side I think have given up but you could say the same about Newton. It's hard to go from the best to the worse and I Don't think either team handled it well this season. Honestly, this game is a toss up in my mind but I have to give the edge to Newton.

No offence to anyone.

None taken. Pretty self explanatory. I believe you on the running back Howard. That’s one thing we could always count on and that’s Bandys to have the backfield. Chris Dougless was prob best they had 98’ . Done well at Duke and made NFL at least a practice squad or 2.

In this game the one thing I can look to for inspiration is the EB/Freedom game in 98’ We kept Sheffield in check for over half the game. He was a centerfold RB in the conference and EB wasn’t that good. North can prob find a way to keep Howard limited as well. It can happen.

Not sure Bandys is the dirtiest team in the league, probably have to go with West with that. They probably get that award every year. Most of Bandys' flags comes from holds and most of the time they are on the outside players too. They have probably set a school record for pentalty yardage in yards. Most of their games have been pretty lopsided in penalty yardage.

Hopefully North will bring a big crowd because Bandys travels well, probably have some tailgaters out there.

Not sure Bandys is the dirtiest team in the league, probably have to go with West with that. They probably get that award every year. Most of Bandys' flags comes from holds and most of the time they are on the outside players too. They have probably set a school record for pentalty yardage in yards. Most of their games have been pretty lopsided in penalty yardage.

Hopefully North will bring a big crowd because Bandys travels well, probably have some tailgaters out there.

Were can folks get advanced tickets? Got a feeling this is gonna be a standing room only game. Last one of those at North I seen was Lincolnton game 07’ North brought a nasty defense and had opportunity after opportunity to move downfield and score but Lincolntons D was even better. Lincolnton won 21 to 7.

LEt me tell ya there was a CROWD. This one for the conference it’s gonna get even more crowded as I’m sure there will be other schools fans coming to see this one and game hoppers looking for a good one, for foothills area this is the place. No crowd at Hibriten as usual or any school that’s out of playoff/conference hunt. Get there early.

Reactions: Flyrod55
I would agree that West is the dirtiest team by far. As for the game it's self I think Bandys will be able to shut down that North offense and if Bandys runs away from 18 and 2 they should have some success. North has got to throw the ball a little bit more to open up the run game against a stout Bandys defense.

Game of mirrors. North and Bandys run the same offenses and defenses. Much larger linemen for Bandys. I believe tickets go on sale at North Monday. I'm still not sold on who has the advantage, but the storyline is great considering how far both teams have come since last year.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
Have not faced Bandy’s but West was worst for us.... of course most directed to player having war of words at Jv game/Snapchat etc..
Yes teams have focused to our weak side all year. If they see it again they will make the needed changes. I agree our qb has to make some plays... and I think he will. a few big completion to keep drives going will be huge. Just no big sacks/ interceptions!

I can understand how the majority are picking the Wolves over Maiden, but I'm still picking my Blue Devils. Yeah we're having a down year, due to an inability to finish games.

Maiden had the lead at halftime vs Bandys and North. Special teams play killed us during those games as well as questionable play calling and not being able to flip momentum to our side. West was the only team that dominated us from the get go....we were extremely flat vs them and only decided to play in the 4th quarter.

All that being said, I'll never count Lincolnton out. We play weak vs power run teams and haven't handled speed well this year. Lincolnton has always played better as the weather gets colder. It's a must win for us to secure a playoff spot, I believe we'll make it happen.

Bandys wins, Ethan Howard is the real deal. By 10.

West wins, +20 or more.

Newton steals one from East late, by 3 or less.

Good luck to all teams!!!

I can understand how the majority are picking the Wolves over Maiden, but I'm still picking my Blue Devils. Yeah we're having a down year, due to an inability to finish games.

Maiden had the lead at halftime vs Bandys and North. Special teams play killed us during those games as well as questionable play calling and not being able to flip momentum to our side. West was the only team that dominated us from the get go....we were extremely flat vs them and only decided to play in the 4th quarter.

All that being said, I'll never count Lincolnton out. We play weak vs power run teams and haven't handled speed well this year. Lincolnton has always played better as the weather gets colder. It's a must win for us to secure a playoff spot, I believe we'll make it happen.

Bandys wins, Ethan Howard is the real deal. By 10.

West wins, +20 or more.

Newton steals one from East late, by 3 or less.

Good luck to all teams!!!
We have problems finishing games as well. Should have beat North Gaston earlier this season, was in the game against Bandys, lose to West on a last minute picking the end zone, and have the lead and the ball against North and piss it away by questionable play calling and a false start penalty that cost us. If the ball bounces the other way here and there we are pushing for the playoffs which is something that should be a given at Lincolnton. Hate to see my Wolves and your Devils struggling this season but I believe we will both be okay in the long run.

Carolina Varsity has West projected as a 9 seed going to East Rutherford. That would be a tough draw for the Rebels

Carolina Varsity has West projected as a 9 seed going to East Rutherford. That would be a tough draw for the Rebels

Ouch. Good luck to the Rebs. ER has a nasty RB that can get at it. Defense kinda weak. They allowed a struggling South Caldwell a lot of yards and TDs that’s for sure. South can move the ball on people this year. Shoulda saw the Hickory game lol. But defense for them is lack. Sorta like for North last year.

This post died quick. Guess everything was said that needed to be said lol.

Was kinda wondering if any posters saw the Hickory/Bandys game? Hickory wasn’t impressive at all against a South Caldwell RB and Oline that’s supposivly isn’t as good as Bandys so penalties musta killed it for em’ Hickory gave Bandys their only loss btw. A buddy of mine saw this game and he did mention a lot of penalities commited by Bandys but my friend is not as observate as prob some of you guys that mighta seen it or got a lot of info bout it.

All that being said Cribb and crew might step out and be better against them than what y’all think. I hate I’m missing this one too. Work calls, but hey, North Lincoln ain’t paying my light bill.

I am not looking forward to an ER draw. Though I have seen some highlights on them and judging by the paper stats they do give up quiet a few points. They will be tough to stop defensively just for the simple fact West historically slower than everyone else. We have overcome that this year with aggressive play and not allowing any teams to get outside the tackles effectively. We have allowed the fewest points this year in our conference and 119 yards away from two 1000 yard rusher again this year. Nonetheless; ER will be tough but alot os of things can change in two more weeks. The east side of the state where a few of our bracket is coming from is still a week behind. As for North; we can talk about thier defence all day long until we're blur in the face and it isn't gonna matter. They have to score tit for tat or they will not have a chance. I hate to say that but it's the truth. Good luck to them men.

In my personal opinion; Bandys defence isn't as good as ours they just score and score often. It is hard to stop a 245 lb running back that has moment. Newton's law comes in to play. Gang up stop him at the line with multiple people, keep Bandys defence on the field and score as many as you can and you win.

I am not looking forward to an ER draw. Though I have seen some highlights on them and judging by the paper stats they do give up quiet a few points. They will be tough to stop defensively just for the simple fact West historically slower than everyone else. We have overcome that this year with aggressive play and not allowing any teams to get outside the tackles effectively. We have allowed the fewest points this year in our conference and 119 yards away from two 1000 yard rusher again this year. Nonetheless; ER will be tough but alot os of things can change in two more weeks. The east side of the state where a few of our bracket is coming from is still a week behind. As for North; we can talk about thier defence all day long until we're blur in the face and it isn't gonna matter. They have to score tit for tat or they will not have a chance. I hate to say that but it's the truth. Good luck to them men.
ER should be a lot better than what they are, they have the athletes to compete with anyone. Running back is committed to play at Purdue and is lightening quick. A lot of folks believe they are the dark horse in small 2a to upset Reidsville and I certainly see why. If Im a west fan I believe I'd be pulling for a lower seed and hopefully get to go to Carborro as I have seen projected. They are terrible.

Yes I'm hoping for carrboro but it looks like we may have a shot to creep up into the top 8 and if ER ends up top 8 we should be good. We will see; one milestone at a time this year at West Lincoln. I'm extremely proud of them men. No on had them picked to finish higher than 6 in conference. In the end we were one point, one wrong defensive stunt and one half of football away from finishing second or first. Huge turn around and am just glad and sad at the same time I only have one more year to enjoy it.

But then again carrboro could be put out by Cummings this week. It's still all up in the air.

In my personal opinion; Bandys defence isn't as good as ours they just score and score often. It is hard to stop a 245 lb running back that has moment. Newton's law comes in to play. Gang up stop him at the line with multiple people, keep Bandys defence on the field and score as many as you can and you win.

Your prob a student it sounds like or a parent of a student. Just going by what u say when you say u have 1 year left. Anyway this Howard fella at Bandys apprears to be like a similar version of Tyler Shatley. Shatley was pretty much the best thing that happened to East Burke. Shrine bowl player at full back, voted NC HSschool best athlete. Played for Clemson and now plays for Jacksonville. They made a Olinemen out of him but in HS he was a nasty full back and defensive end.

Howard got any offers or looks from big D1s? If he’s like Shatley he oughta be going somewere huge.

Do not know if he has offers. Obviously Lincoln county here and very seldom hear about kids from other counties. Is he a big D1 fullback? Probably not but really how many are? Small D1 or D2? D2 for sure, maybe small D1 but then maybe not a fullback. He is a college level player. There are so many variables when it comes to D1,D2,D3. Variables that we won't know or understand. I mean people can argue that Cribb is going D1 and he is and good for him he is going to a great start turned school and will receive a second to none education. He is going to West point, which is a military school with a commitment afterwards. Is he going because he was recruited as a football player or a student first the a football player. I Don't know? I do know he will get a top notch education and be a fine upstanding member of society when done. Congratulations to him. But you see where I'm coming from. I rambled just to say, he's a fine RB and better than most from this area.

Howard is no where near the athlete that Shatley was imo. He is a solid high school full back and runs hard but pretty slow. Out of all the teams I have seen in this conference Dollar from East is the only legit D1 talent I have seen and he just committed to play basketball at Lees McCrae.

Come on now wolf lol. Dollar? You take away his success as a sophomore and Junior and look at what he's done this year. Do you still say he is D1? To his defense; he is a legit D1 basketball player and a tremendous athlete but I think he knew all along that basketball is his ticket.

For that matter not even his junior year; he was injured. Fresman year catching passes from chazz and sophmore year catching passes from Graham. Is he truly a D1 football recruit after the last two years?

Reactions: wecribb
Come on now wolf lol. Dollar? You take away his success as a sophomore and Junior and look at what he's done this year. Do you still say he is D1? To his defense; he is a legit D1 basketball player and a tremendous athlete but I think he knew all along that basketball is his ticket.
He is most certainly a D1 player. Yes he hasn't put up numbers this year but East's qb play is awful. He did not play his junior year due to an injury, freshman and sophomore year he had Marcus Graham throwing him the ball who left for MICS and is now committed to play at the University of Wisconsin. Stats don't really matter when it comes to getting recruited, if you are a great athlete and have the right intangibles D1 coaches will develop that talent.

Hey burke, while we are on this topic. What happen to that little speed demon qb y'all had last year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT