ADVERTISEMENT

South Fork Athletic Conference

After watching Newton Conover vs Hibriten and seeing Alexander Central vs Watauga I think a matchup of N-C and A-C would be a battle where either one could come out a winner..... Red Devils defense is stronger then A-C defense but the offenses are pretty equal

I already suggested these 2 meet up in non conf play. Keep in mind a lot of coaches and maybe even ADs read these forums. Don’t be suprised if you see it on the schedule. Both teams return a lot and have super good JV teams. Well AC has one anyway. So can it happen. Probably :)

I already suggested these 2 meet up in non conf play. Keep in mind a lot of coaches and maybe even ADs read these forums. Don’t be suprised if you see it on the schedule. Both teams return a lot and have super good JV teams. Well AC has one anyway. So can it happen. Probably :)
Personally, i would like to play almost any team in Mecklenburg Co. that we could schedule.

Walking into charlotte and waxing a 4a school down there would certainly give us some attention, better yet give us a shot at South Pointe Rock Hill SC and see if we can score on them...

I think it would be easier to schedule a Freedom or a school like Mountain Heritage, maybe even Franklin. Those types of games where both fan bases are well established would make for fun non conference games. I like Hibriten match up, maybe even an East Rutherford on the schedule would be a fun game. I agree, something different from Foard, Hickory, Saint, and Bunker. Throw in a Mooresville or Statesville in the future. These are great warm up games where Newton would match up athletes and athletes.

I think it would be easier to schedule a Freedom or a school like Mountain Heritage, maybe even Franklin. Those types of games where both fan bases are well established would make for fun non conference games. I like Hibriten match up, maybe even an East Rutherford on the schedule would be a fun game. I agree, something different from Foard, Hickory, Saint, and Bunker. Throw in a Mooresville or Statesville in the future. These are great warm up games where Newton would match up athletes and athletes.

I like that idea as well- the normal Catawba Co non- conference slate is just not very much fun. The Hibriten games I hope stay and I would love to see us play Franklin or Statesville or Mooresville.

Do schools usually sign 2 year contracts where each team gets a home game or is it a year by year thing down here?? Just wondering if Hibriten will be going to N-C next year

I
Do schools usually sign 2 year contracts where each team gets a home game or is it a year by year thing down here?? Just wondering if Hibriten will be going to N-C next year
I think they are two year contracts but in a perfect world we could keep Hickory and Hibriten but replace East Burke and Bunker Hill next year for tougher non-conference competition.

I'd like to see NC schedule someone like Shelby and Kings Mountain every year. Possibly even throw Huss in there

The schools do 2 year contracts. A home and away. There is no chance for a different schedule from this year unless a team folds like Q foundation and then both teams would have to have an opening on the same week to play. Not likely.

Wasn’t sure bout the 2 year thing. 2010 Butler, when they was hot, still always been a pretty good Charlotte team but then they was hot.. they only played Hibriten at Lenior one time.

Newton needs games like that. That game was a packed house. I barley got a seat on the visitors side. Next year would be the year to do it though cause I’ve seen Newton have plenty of so so seasons and slump seasons. It happens, it’s just life. Seen Hibriten have same kinda seasons many a times til all of a sudden they got a good flow of super athletes and big men up front. Just seems to happen for them more often ha ha.

I wouldn’t pick on BH too bad lol, this school has talent walking all over those halls as opposed to EB who just don’t seem to have anything as far as stars and potential around Hilidebran ICard area. It’s just the way it is. Give BH the right coach’s and atmosphere and kids will come out and u may see a whole other side to em’

Reactions: red devil knight
The community at Bh doesn’t really look to develop its players in football. There is not much of a difference in turn out when the team is good and when the team is bad. Lot of thin over at bh and athletes. Not much up front at all. Where’s the beef?

The community at Bh doesn’t really look to develop its players in football. There is not much of a difference in turn out when the team is good and when the team is bad. Lot of thin over at bh and athletes. Not much up front at all. Where’s the beef?

If the right coach is hired, and he can encourage the atheletes there to buy into off season training and weight program, then they could become a competitive team but that would take years there to develop and get things turned around.

With two games remaining in the regular season we have a few scenarios that could happen, which would result in: 1)East Lincoln conference champs 2)Maiden conference champs 3)N-C conference champs 4)Three-way tie champs East/Maiden/N-C

Since the NCHSSA formulates playoff seedings using Maxpreps rankings, I suspect two other teams (Franklin & Mount Pleasant) in 2AA could affect the seedings of our three teams (East Lincoln, Maiden & N-C) in the South Fork heading into the playoffs. According to this week's rankings there are five teams that hold alot of importance going down the stretch in relation to current Strenght of schedule (SOS) and remaining games to be played with certain teams that could rise or fall in rankings depending on what happens over these next few weeks.

#10 Franklin (9-0) SOS (-2.4)
vs @ #26 Pisgah (5-4)
vs @ #45 Smoky Mtn (4-5)

#12 Mount Pleasant (7-2) SOS (1.9)
vs #33 East Montgomery (8-1)
vs @ #74 West Stanly (3-6)

#13 N-C (8-1) SOS (-3.5)
vs @ #22 Maiden (9-0)
vs #44 East Lincoln (5-4)

#22 Maiden (9-0) SOS (-8.8)
vs #13 N-C (8-1)
vs @ #48 Lincolnton (4-5)

#44 East Lincoln (5-4) SOS (-1.7)
vs #66 West Lincoln (3-6)
vs @ #13 N-C (8-1)

These games remaining give Maiden and N-C the most to gain because if one of us runs the table while beating good teams in the process, their SOS could allow that team to possibly jump both Franklin and Mount Pleasant in rankings. Below is an early projected playoff bracket for the Big 2AA that revised last week:

1-South Point vs 16-Bandys
8-Patton vs 9-West Stokes

4-Mount Pleasant vs 13-Smoky Mtn.
5-N-C vs 12-East Lincoln

3-Franklin vs 14-Forest Hills
6-Wilkes Central vs 11-Pisgah

2-Hibriten vs 15-West Iredell
7-Maiden vs 10-Foard

This is not taking in consideration if Shelby beats South Point, which would make them a second place finisher in their conference and dropping them in rankings and seedings below those respective conference champions in other 2AA conferences. This event would almost certainly put Hibriten as the #1 seed because nobody in their right mind sees them losing a conference game over these next two weeks anyway. This also could affect the teams in the South Fork's seedings. All of this makes for some fun and interesting weeks to come for our players, coaches, fans and communities. Survival of the fittest is where we are now ... hopefully our teams competing for the Conference championship are healthy, motivated, disciplined and hungry for the competition ahead - GO BIG RED!

Last edited:
With two games remaining in the regular season we have a few scenarios that could happen, which would result in: 1)East Lincoln conference champs 2)Maiden conference champs 3)N-C conference champs 4)Three-way tie champs East/Maiden/N-C

Since the NCHSSA formulates playoff seedings using Maxpreps rankings, I suspect two other teams (Franklin & Mount Pleasant) in 2AA could affect the seedings of our three teams (East Lincoln, Maiden & N-C) in the South Fork heading into the playoffs. According to this week's rankings there are five teams that hold alot of importance going down the stretch in relation to current Strenght of schedule (SOS) and remaining games to be played with certain teams that could rise or fall in rankings depending on what happens over these next few weeks.

#10 Franklin (9-0) SOS (-2.4)
vs @ #26 Pisgah (5-4)
vs @ #45 Smoky Mtn (4-5)

#12 Mount Pleasant (7-2) SOS (1.9)
vs #33 East Montgomery (8-1)
vs @ #74 West Stanly (3-6)

#13 N-C (8-1) SOS (-3.5)
vs @ #22 Maiden (9-0)
vs #44 East Lincoln (5-4)

#22 Maiden (9-0) SOS (-8.8)
vs #13 N-C (8-1)
vs @ #48 Lincolnton (4-5)

#44 East Lincoln (5-4) SOS (-1.7)
vs #66 West Lincoln (3-6)
vs @ #13 N-C (8-1)

These games remaining give Maiden and N-C the most to gain because if one of us runs the table while beating good teams in the process, their SOS could allow that team to possibly jump both Franklin and Mount Pleasant in rankings. Below is an early projected playoff bracket for the Big 2AA that revised last week:

1-South Point vs 16-Bandys
8-Patton vs 9-West Stokes

4-Mount Pleasant vs 13-Smoky Mtn.
5-N-C vs 12-East Lincoln

3-Franklin vs 14-Forest Hills
6-Wilkes Central vs 11-Pisgah

2-Hibriten vs 15-West Iredell
7-Maiden vs 10-Foard

This is not taking in consideration if Shelby beats South Point, which would make them a second place finisher in their conference and dropping them in rankings and seedings below those respective conference champions in other 2AA conferences. This event would almost certainly put Hibriten as the #1 seed because nobody in their right mind sees them losing a conference game over these next two weeks anyway. This also could affect the teams in the South Fork's seedings. All of this makes for some fun and interesting weeks to come for our players, coaches, fans and communities. Survival of the fittest is where we are now ... hopefully our teams competing for the Conference championship are healthy, motivated, disciplined and hungry for the competition ahead - GO BIG RED!

Just for a bit more clarity on the top seeds right now and positioned at #1 & #2 respectively are:

#1 South Point (9-0) SOS (8.5)
vs @ #103 Chase (1-8)
vs #2 Shelby (8-1)

#6 Hibriten (9-0) SOS (-1.9)
vs @ #58 West Iredell (5-4)
vs #24 Patton (7-2)

Last edited:
Personally, i would like to play almost any team in Mecklenburg Co. that we could schedule.

What would a Meck team gain from playing a 2A team? If they win, which they would do easily, then they are suppose to win. If they lose, well, then they get ridiculed. Most Meck teams, for the most part, would destroy any of the Catawba County/Lincoln County schools if they played. The depth alone would bee too much. Do you really think any team, and I'm assuming you mean NC, could match up to any 4A Meck. teams? I can see a 3A team from up North but Meck athletes are on a different level than any team in Catawba or Lincoln. Not saying it can't be done, but for most Meck teams it wouldn't even be close.

I believe NC and Hibriten would destroy Garinger. Victory Christian is not very good. Harding up until this year has had lots of losing seasons, ummm, let’s see, West Charlotte has also been struggling. South Meck would also lose to NC and Hibriten.
Indy would also lose to NC and Hibriten.
Also Hough and Hopewell are not doing too good and would lose to both these schools.

Butler in 2010 played Hibriten and barely walked away with a win. Talent is talent doesn’t matter were it sits. But I can completely see what your saying. It can vary though.

Reactions: N-C Red Devils
What would a Meck team gain from playing a 2A team? If they win, which they would do easily, then they are suppose to win. If they lose, well, then they get ridiculed. Most Meck teams, for the most part, would destroy any of the Catawba County/Lincoln County schools if they played. The depth alone would bee too much. Do you really think any team, and I'm assuming you mean NC, could match up to any 4A Meck. teams? I can see a 3A team from up North but Meck athletes are on a different level than any team in Catawba or Lincoln. Not saying it can't be done, but for most Meck teams it wouldn't even be close.
N-C walked the dog on Jay M. Robinson this year but it was just a scrimmage. And the only other team from that area was Berry a few years ago and we demolished them too. Im not saying we could run thru that county but im positive we could beat our share of teams from the area down there.

Boys while were on that thought, it’s not always the Charlotte schools bringing home the gold and rising the trophy. Winston Salem Greensboro Durham Raleigh area has a ton of talent floating around too. Can’t name the schools cause they are out of the FFN area so we don’t hear about them til deep playoff time. Newton could beat some of them too and some of them would beat Newton by 3 scores but prob not much more than that. Newton got it going on this year I gotta admit. Gonna be a nice journey in the postseason

I believe NC and Hibriten would destroy Garinger. Victory Christian is not very good. Harding up until this year has had lots of losing seasons, ummm, let’s see, West Charlotte has also been struggling. South Meck would also lose to NC and Hibriten.
Indy would also lose to NC and Hibriten.
Also Hough and Hopewell are not doing too good and would lose to both these schools.

Butler in 2010 played Hibriten and barely walked away with a win. Talent is talent doesn’t matter were it sits. But I can completely see what your saying. It can vary though.

Hibriten is not in Catawba or Lincoln Counties. And I'm not talking about the bottom feeders of Meck (Garinger,etc.). If NC, which has been down for awhile, really wants to prove itself, go play North Meck, Hough, etc. They are right around the corner from them. What would/could NC get out of playing Alexander Central other than to say the old coach and its a 4A? Personally, I would love to see 2A and 1A teams play bigger teams and risk a loss in order to get better and prepared for playoffs. I would also love to see a NC or any other Catawba/Lincoln teams beat Meck teams, but the reality is it wont happen. Meck teams wont play anybody less than them, rightfully so, and Catawba/Lincoln counties will continue to play in county non-conference games which is a joke. Where is the diversity of scheduling? Forcing teams to play in county non-conference is a joke. Forcing a match up of NC vs. Foard, well isn't intriguing and you know the final before the game is played. Now, NC vs. Hough....very intriguing even though it would be tough....people would come to watch that stuff. And I promise I'm not taking shots at NC or any other teams as I am a fan of the smaller leagues. Just some thought process of non-conference scheduling...

Year in year out smaller schools with the exception of Shelby cant compete with 4A powers. Sure there are certain years when you can but you definitely don't want to be going to Mallard Creek or Vance in a down year. And they definitely don't want to take a L from a 2A school.

Personally I don't think the talent level between Meck teams and teams from our area are that far off. Its the depth issue that will always be the kicker. However, there have been some years and a few classes at Lincolnton that I felt we could've played with just about anyone from Meck. 2010 and 2011 teams were loaded with talent. Had kids on the bench that could've been all conference elsewhere.

Newton wins handily tonight. not the rivalry game most people hope for. Conference Championship will come down to Newton and East Lincoln next week.

Doesn’t look like they are winning handily. Lots of potential upsets going on. East is getting taking to the woodshed by West. North is barley in the game but my do something. Newton better pick it up.

Whew upset city tonight lol

Byrne has beams number. As far as that’s concerned any big game has beams number. Once again the only coach in the final huddle was beam. Cover 0 on 3rd and thirty gets you beat in high school. Qb loafed when he got beat deep.

I’ll eat my words I knew most of the season was a charade due to poor competition. Hats off to maiden just hate it that maiden has the better coaching staff. Newton has potential but until the switch is flipped that’s all it is.

Lincolton acomplishes single game rushing
record against one of the worst defenses in the region. My hats off I won’t knock em but u gotta look at the strength of which that offense was against. Norths D was the death of them this season without question. I certainly hope that improves next year. A lot of weapons returning and a growing group of guys coming from a JV team. Future looks bright as long as QB play can be replaced.

Hate to see what happened to NC. That’s why it’s a rival game and anything goes there. They will get em next year or in playoffs this year. I got that confidence in em’ Sometimes good teams need a loss to see we’re the weaknesses are and patch em up.

East has a TON of players coming back and future looks bright there too. They survived well what everyone saw as a rebuilding year. Same for Lincolnton.

West may look bout the same next year, good job for them hanging with East but wasn’t meant to be. Musta been a heart felt loss for those fans that have seen their team getting stomped year after year by East.

This is Burke signing off for commentating for the most part on the South Fork. This season seemed to have came and gone quicker than usual. Correct me if I’m wrong or even sorta wrong on my comments.

Lincolton acomplishes single game rushing
record against one of the worst defenses in the region. My hats off I won’t knock em but u gotta look at the strength of which that offense was against. Norths D was the death of them this season without question. I certainly hope that improves next year. A lot of weapons returning and a growing group of guys coming from a JV team. Future looks bright as long as QB play can be replaced.

Hate to see what happened to NC. That’s why it’s a rival game and anything goes there. They will get em next year or in playoffs this year. I got that confidence in em’ Sometimes good teams need a loss to see we’re the weaknesses are and patch em up.

East has a TON of players coming back and future looks bright there too. They survived well what everyone saw as a rebuilding year. Same for Lincolnton.

West may look bout the same next year, good job for them hanging with East but wasn’t meant to be. Musta been a heart felt loss for those fans that have seen their team getting stomped year after year by East.

This is Burke signing off for commentating for the most part on the South Fork. This season seemed to have came and gone quicker than usual. Correct me if I’m wrong or even sorta wrong on my comments.

Maiden with the W... Newton was clearly shut down minus some busted plays by the D... Rushing was a non-factor 57 total yards. Passing game from newton was ok. Wasn't a lucky win by maiden. This easily could have been a dominate gain by maiden without the two turnovers. Newton dosent want to come back down to Maiden to play again this year, even though it is hard to beat a team twice.

Maiden with the W... Newton was clearly shut down minus some busted plays by the D... Rushing was a non-factor 57 total yards. Passing game from newton was ok. Wasn't a lucky win by maiden. This easily could have been a dominate gain by maiden without the two turnovers. Newton dosent want to come back down to Maiden to play again this year, even though it is hard to beat a team twice.
Please get real... congrats on your win but if you think Newton wouldn’t want to play you guys again you’re DELIRIOUS!!! 14 of your points were of idiot calls from our coaching, playing press man coverage at the end of the half and the end of the game!

Any sain person would have had 4 back in that situation. Newton’s athletes are not good enough in man coverage. Zone gives up plays underneath but in those two situations we would have been fine with a catch underneath and stop before end zone.

We have reached the final week of the regular season and these games will be very good match-ups to conclude the first year of the South Fork conf.

North Lincoln @ Bandys
Lake Norman Charter @ West Lincoln
Maiden @ Lincolnton
East Lincoln @ Newton-Conover

The
We have reached the final week of the regular season and these games will be very good match-ups to conclude the first year of the South Fork conf.

North Lincoln @ Bandys
Lake Norman Charter @ West Lincoln
Maiden @ Lincolnton
East Lincoln @ Newton-Conover

NL still loses. Bandys will eat through the pourous defense. Will be close but I’d sure like to see North end a season with a win cause that’s been a while it seems. Bandys by 14.

All West but with a smaller margin

Classic game but Maiden takes advantage of a down year of Lincolnton and wins by 21.

If Newton don’t win this one, there’s no need to follow them too deep in playoffs. Tre Newton boys and the fans will also be temporarily Lincolnton fans if you know what I mean ha ha. Could be a good game but they play with a chip in their shoulder and may take East by 2 scores and that’s bout it. Got faith that EL will keep it close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT