ADVERTISEMENT

South Davidson 12 Lexington 6

I woke up last night to go to work and saw the score. Thought hell had frozen over. Even with Lex losing kids to other schools I figured Jacket band and choir boys would be able to beat South. @PrepFanNC your prediction of the toilet bowl a few years ago has come to pass!

Heck of a win for South though.
I was shocked this morning when I saw that score. Is it possible to drop Lexington down to the middle school county league? Relegation, like the European soccer leagues do.

This is what happens when you mess around with your program like a bunch of goofs for a decade. It got nuked when the last incompetent dude was there and it still hasn't recovered yet. Be to be honest hiring those Tennessee dudes in the early 10's had a hand in starting this too. They were lucky to get Henderson but he got gone and it's been a mess since then. I agree with Kylar; until they do a whole athletic change and rebuild it won't get any better there until they do. This is worse than their drop in the 90's; just sad to see.

Congrats to South though! A month ago they couldn't even come to our scrimmage because they didn't have enough healthy kids out to play at that point. They've came a long way.

Sorry, but if you lose to South Davidson, you DO NOT have talent no matter who's coaching.

BTW, congrats to the Wildcats for that historic win last night! That community deserves it! Good job!
To the credit of SD, those kids and staff work as hard as anyone else does. Every Dog has its day and the Wildcats had their day. They barely lost to South Stanly two weeks ago and was winning that game late before losing on a long pass. Kuddos to the kids, they deserve some success and may not get many more wins but that was a good one whether Lexngton is bad or not. The reward for the Wildcats are back to back games against Salisbury and Thomasville where they will get mauled really bad. Salisbury may hurt some of those kids physically it is such a mismatch. LIke a NAIA college playing Alabama. Then they have Thomasville that just hung 59 on North Rowan that hung 58 on the Wildcats. Probably best to start prepping for East Davidson and West Davidson to finish out and try to sneak up on the Dragons and get another upset win over a team they may have never beaten.

As for Lexington, the AD and Admin need to figure out what the root causes of a program in shambles and work to correct that and rebuild. The middle school team barely fields a team and is losing also and that tranlates to the high school. Kids will transfer away from a bad program to a better situation (that is part of the process). There has got to be talent there in the hallways (enough to beat) East, West and South anyways but for now they continue to struggle. The TB from Lexington broke a 97 yard TD against East but cannot score on SD. Got to be a coaching, planning and execution issue somewhere.

This is what happens when you mess around with your program like a bunch of goofs for a decade. It got nuked when the last incompetent dude was there and it still hasn't recovered yet. Be to be honest hiring those Tennessee dudes in the early 10's had a hand in starting this too. They were lucky to get Henderson but he got gone and it's been a mess since then. I agree with Kylar; until they do a whole athletic change and rebuild it won't get any better there until they do. This is worse than their drop in the 90's; just sad to see.

Congrats to South though! A month ago they couldn't even come to our scrimmage because they didn't have enough healthy kids out to play at that point. They've came a long way.
Congrats to the Wildcats. Heard Lexington scored to tie it but had a penalty. Huge win for SD over a team they could only dream of beating in the past. I do not even know what to say about Lexington. They have talent but something bad is wrong down there right now.
Thank you slasher killer! We are down to about 25-27 kids from 4 grades after a fractured ankle last night and a knee surgery to come after last week. However, all of our kids including the underclassmen having to play Varsity battle and play hard.

I’d say the AD needs to go. The school has gotten rid of a couple of head cases, but most of the folks who were run off (probably not by the AD, but higher ups) should have stayed longer. Maybe they would have with better support. I’ve said it before, it says a lot when the town’s mayor and some of the elected officials won’t send their own kids to Lexington City Schools. Turmoil. Left and right.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I’d say the AD needs to go. The school has gotten rid of a couple of head cases, but most of the folks who were run off (probably not by the AD, but higher ups) should have stayed longer. Maybe they would have with better support. I’ve said it before, it says a lot when the town’s mayor and some of the elected officials won’t send their own kids to Lexington City Schools. Turmoil. Left and right.

Agreed. Most often than not when an AD doesn't support Football like he/she should it's just setting the entire program up to fail. Outsiders won't see it at first but insiders do and it's only a matter of time before it turns into a wildfire in terms of negative momentum. All of this started once Henderson left. He didn't set the world on fire but he gave them consistency they hadn't had since Deal left in 2009/10. It's just grown into such poison for that whole setup they have there that there is really no choice but a ground up rebuild.

I watched them for 2 quarters vs Central Davidson in the opener and honestly while they were awful there were signs of talent and potential there. They came out and moved the ball extremely well on CD and scored on that opening drive passing it. Then the HC proceeded to change everything up the next drive and it didn't work no more. It's going to be hard to see this guy keeping his job unless he manages to upset East or West Davidson but I just don't see it.

It's such a shame to see the Jackets like this.. they were one of the gold standards growing up as a kid. When we beat them in the 2006 opener that was huge for all of us in the community (I was 13 then,) Lexington was a legit program still. They still very can well be but they need an HC with experience at either college or HS level who is a tough cookie who won't put up with BS and is willing to fight to build the program up. They need more fighters for pride and dignity. That's what losing programs need most; kill off the woe is us attitude and start fighting to make something new and epic and prideful.

Thank you slasher killer! We are down to about 25-27 kids from 4 grades after a fractured ankle last night and a knee surgery to come after last week. However, all of our kids including the underclassmen having to play Varsity battle and play hard.

I enjoy seeing what you all are doing.. reminds me of the stuff we used to run when I first started helping on the staff at my school. It's a hard battle I know but you all aren't whining and begging for anything the kids go out and fight and you can't ask for anything more. South's program will benefit from that more than anyone knows.

Reactions: SDfan84
Sad for Lexington. Don't they have a couple of state championships from way back in the day?

Sad for Lexington. Don't they have a couple of state championships from way back in the day?
Lexington was a powerhouse in the old WNCHSAA. They won titles in 54, 56 and 67. When the NCHSAA absorbed those schools Lexington was 3A runner-up in 1980 and won 2A titles in 85 and 86.

Things started going downhill in the 90s and Lexingtons records against their rivals reflect that. North Davidson only beat Lexington twice before the 80s and Lexington had a dominant record over Tville as well. It has been a complete reversal since then, with Lexington only winning a handful of games against both and only 2 or 3 wins against Tville since the 90s started.

Lexington was a powerhouse in the old WNCHSAA. They won titles in 54, 56 and 67. When the NCHSAA absorbed those schools Lexington was 3A runner-up in 1980 and won 2A titles in 85 and 86.

Things started going downhill in the 90s and Lexingtons records against their rivals reflect that. North Davidson only beat Lexington twice before the 80s and Lexington had a dominant record over Tville as well. It has been a complete reversal since then, with Lexington only winning a handful of games against both and only 2 or 3 wins against Tville since the 90s started.
Thomasville 28-4 against Lexington beginning in 1990.

I won’t get into a plethora of detail…. But I know enough about the mayor to know that he isn’t against crashing an entire system if it gets in the way of his grand plan. I agree with some of his policies. But if he wants to crush something…. He’ll crush It. If he wants an elected school board in order to get his way.. He’s got the free time and the capital to see it to fruition.

I won’t get into a plethora of detail…. But I know enough about the mayor to know that he isn’t against crashing an entire system if it gets in the way of his grand plan. I agree with some of his policies. But if he wants to crush something…. He’ll crush It. If he wants an elected school board in order to get his way.. He’s got the free time and the capital to see it to fruition.
Sounds like you understand the grand plan. It will take another decade for it to happen, but eventually it will. Good or bad.

Reactions: PrepFanNC

Just sad to see a once very competitive school fall that far. I think Gary Whitman was the coach when they won those titles in the 1980s. Shocking that they could do such a 180. Seems like they would have some good athletes at Lexington. So I wonder what the problem is? Administration doesn't care? Bad coaching? Kids that are not willing to work and do not care?

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Just sad to see a once very competitive school fall that far. I think Gary Whitman was the coach when then won those titles in the 1980s. Shocking that they could do such a 180. Seems like they would have some good athletes at Lexington. So I wonder what the problem is? Administration doesn't care? Bad coaching? Kids that are not willing to work and do not care?

Yep, Whitman was the coach and came back in the mid 2000s but could only produce around a .500 record or so.

The answer is all of those and more :(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT