ADVERTISEMENT

So does East Surry fail again to live up to expectations?

WHChoops

Oct 11, 2018
We hear it every year. We’re gonna win the ship in football, gonna win the ship in basketball,. The birds are always on the forums chirping. Are they that good this year? Scores say so, they say so. Murphy handed it to them 2 yrs ago, heck Avery beat them as a 2-15 in 2014. Overrated is a tag they’ve earned. Is this year the same as always or is this East’s year?

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Pilotcards you need to answer the call out it's not my responsibility I'm a Mt Airy fan as far as I'm concerned I think in 2 weeks if they can beat Reildsville they have a chance but I highly doubt that task but they will win NW confrence and make the championship then it's the BIG TARBORO

West stokes has them this week. This is the most talent I've seen on the offensive side of the ball in Stokes and Surry. Looking at their roster they have at least five receivers that are 6'2 and around 200 pounds that are talented. They have a 6'8 quarterback that is accurate. They may not win a championship but they are good. Can West keep them under fifty?

West stokes has them this week. This is the most talent I've seen on the offensive side of the ball in Stokes and Surry. Looking at their roster they have at least five receivers that are 6'2 and around 200 pounds that are talented. They have a 6'8 quarterback that is accurate. They may not win a championship but they are good. Can West keep them under fifty?
I’m a cardinal fan all the way but the only WR with that size is Gosnell, Stevens is tall but not near 200 and none of the others are over 6 foot but all are fast and make plays!! Yes this East Surry team is legit can they beat Tarboro or Reidsville is yet to be seen but getting to the state Title game is almost a given as weak as the rest of the 1A west is right now.

Reactions: ESguro
I know a little about this East Surry team. They are very talented and deep. Their weight program over the years has made them much stronger up front. They have so much depth they can platoon in the trenches. They took their knocks last year and are better for it! Yes, they have several future college players but what you don't see is their depth. They have some young men playing special teams who would be starting at neighboring schools. And some of the most annoying Cardinal posters are not a good example of their fans. You can debate and compare but I am hoping they enjoy the journey.

I still think a few of the posters on this board are not true ES fans and are trolls. East Surry is very good, but I don’t think they beat Tarboro if they play. I think they are better than everyone else in the 1A division though. They have a very accurate QB, and they have very good WR in both Gosnell kids, Stevens, Mosley, Jessup. Their defense is also very good & they have a great kicker who can make it even harder.

Reactions: NWWatchdog
Remember, it's 1a ball. All it takes is an injury to a key cog to derail any championship hopes. ES is very good, but it will also take a lot of luck for them to get to the ship.

Reactions: Realfreedom
I think they do even though they're schedule is kind of weak. Reidsville will be a BIG test for them. I don't think they'll win but i think it'll be a 28-10 game with Reidsville coming out on top.

It will take a monumental upset for this Cardinal team not to make it to the championship. What I have seen, this team is MUCH better than they were last year. To me it’s not even close. I think they will give Reidsville and Tarboro all they can handle.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
It will take a monumental upset for this Cardinal team not to make it to the championship. What I have seen, this team is MUCH better than they were last year. To me it’s not even close. I think they will give Reidsville and Tarboro all they can handle.
Careful for what you wish for!

I’m a cardinal fan all the way but the only WR with that size is Gosnell, Stevens is tall but not near 200 and none of the others are over 6 foot but all are fast and make plays!! Yes this East Surry team is legit can they beat Tarboro or Reidsville is yet to be seen but getting to the state Title game is almost a given as weak as the rest of the 1A west is right now.

I don’t see 1A west as weak this year. In fact, with Swain, Robbinsville, Polk, Murphy, Mitchell, and Avery having good seasons so far, the west might be as strong as it’s been in a while. At least from top to bottom. I know that most “off the mountain fans” discredit “on the mountain teams and style of play” but in 1a football that style has been pretty successful. And historically that style of play gives East problems. In 14 an East Surry team as an undefeated (maybe 1 loss, I can’t remember) 2 seed lost to a 15 seed Avery that finished below 500 in the WHC. Avery then went on to lose to Swain at Swain in a hard fought pretty close game.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. A team turning the ball over or just a good matchup. A team like Murphy with a good offensive line could control a game

We hear it every year. We’re gonna win the ship in football, gonna win the ship in basketball,. The birds are always on the forums chirping. Are they that good this year? Scores say so, they say so. Murphy handed it to them 2 yrs ago, heck Avery beat them as a 2-15 in 2014. Overrated is a tag they’ve earned. Is this year the same as always or is this East’s year?
I am not one of the ridiculous, obnoxious, new East Surry posters, but I can firmly vouch that this team isn’t the 2014 Cardinals. This team is more talented than that group (no disrespect to those kids - they had some very talented kids on that team). If there’s a more talented 1A team in the West, I’d love to see them. Does that mean they are unbeatable? Absolutely not. There are several other teams who could win the west. That being said, East should be the favorite to repeat and head back to the 1AA state finals. Tarboro is also the unquestionable favorite to repeat as 1AA state champions. If the Cardinals can get back to a rematch with Tarboro, I think they would give them a much better game. But I also think Tarboro is more talented and would ultimately win (even though I’d be pulling for the Cardinals like crazy).

Reactions: fan44life
East Surry is really good. No question. Last year's team made it to the championship, and played thru the weakest bracket the 1aa West has had since split classifications in 01. 1aa West will be tougher this year.

After the game with Reidsville you will be able to see just how good East is. Expecting a great game. Not sure if the game is at East Surry or Reidsville. If it is in Reidsville, it is a very tough place to get a win.

It's at Reildsville done checked Friday night at half time according to Maxprep Mt Airy is at Reildsville also

East Surry visits Community Stadium in Reidsville on Friday Sept. 27th....and your right Heritage 84...its a very tough place for a road team to win...……….Rams have won 30 straight at home...…………….

I am lucky enough to have had a son on the 2014 team that lost to Avery and one on last years team. They overlooked Avery and were already looking to play Mt Airy the next week. My oldest son that played on that team told me as he was coming off the field that he'd never get to play football again. I told him it would be alright. He grabbed my arm and said Daddy do you know how long forever is!?! That's a moment I'll never forget. This stuff we get on here and mouth and growl about is real to the kids that are playing. That was probably one of the coldest ballgames I've ever been to in Pilot Mtn. Last year with all the coaching change and learning a new system my youngest said all year that nobody outside of Pilot Mtn believed that they could do what they did. A history of laying down in the playoffs is hard to overcome by some. Maybe a new coach can help with that in the years to come. A great bunch of athletes who buy into everything they are doing doesn't hurt. Whatever they do I'll be proud to be a Cardinal, win, lose or draw.

I'm hoping to see the cardinals play west this Friday and planning on going to the Reidsville game next week. West beat them last year.

Last edited:
I am lucky enough to have had a son on the 2014 team that lost to Avery and one on last years team. They overlooked Avery and were already looking to play Mt Airy the next week. My oldest son that played on that team told me as he was coming off the field that he'd never get to play football again. I told him it would be alright. He grabbed my arm and said Daddy do you know how long forever is!?! That's a moment I'll never forget. This stuff we get on here and mouth and growl about is real to the kids that are playing. That was probably one of the coldest ballgames I've ever been to in Pilot Mtn. Last year with all the coaching change and learning a new system my youngest said all year that nobody outside of Pilot Mtn believed that they could do what they did. A history of laying down in the playoffs is hard to overcome by some. Maybe a new coach can help with that in the years to come. A great bunch of athletes who buy into everything they are doing doesn't hurt. Whatever they do I'll be proud to be a Cardinal, win, lose or draw.

Great post, and I meant no disrespect. To your son, you, or the cards. We get on these forums and snap back and forth and it’s fun banter. I know your pain, my son was on Mitchell’s team that lost to the the 1a champions the past 2 yrs. And now he’s graduated, I have no one to watch. But I still love 1a football and I love talking about it.

No problem WHChoops. I'm not that thin skinned. I can take the truth along with some good stabs along the way. I have a confession to make. I'm actually ESOD. The original ESOD not the imitation ESODcards. I got a new phone and tried for almost a month and a half to log in here and never could get my password reset. So I made a new account. Proud to be a Cardinal and proud of our community and the young men who represent us on Friday nights.

East Surry visits Community Stadium in Reidsville on Friday Sept. 27th....and your right Heritage 84...its a very tough place for a road team to win...……….Rams have won 30 straight at home...…………….

heritage almost had em.

Remember, it's 1a ball. All it takes is an injury to a key cog to derail any championship hopes. ES is very good, but it will also take a lot of luck for them to get to the ship.
It will take no luck for them to get to the ship. It will take luck for anyone else in the west to get to the ship over them!

It takes a lot of luck and preparation to get to the ship, regardless of what you think. If a key player like Gosnell or Boaz goes down....each of those guys are so good...you dont make it to the ship with one of those pieces not there. Just ask Mt.Airy what happened last year. Within 4 weeks they went from shew in..to getting blown out..because they were umfortunate ( unlucky) enough to lose two key cogs. Its still 1a. Face it. East Surry is amazing. Without Gosnell and Boaz..there just good. Never say that it doesn't take some luck to get there. It most certainly does take some luck.

It takes a lot of luck and preparation to get to the ship, regardless of what you think. If a key player like Gosnell or Boaz goes down....each of those guys are so good...you dont make it to the ship with one of those pieces not there. Just ask Mt.Airy what happened last year. Within 4 weeks they went from shew in..to getting blown out..because they were umfortunate ( unlucky) enough to lose two key cogs. Its still 1a. Face it. East Surry is amazing. Without Gosnell and Boaz..there just good. Never say that it doesn't take some luck to get there. It most certainly does take some luck.
Yes, Mount Airy lost Greene to Swain and Smith was hurt and played the next game at only around 60% in the game against East Surry the week after losing to Swain but won the conference with no one injured .

Last edited:
They only beat East Surry by 1 score last year before the injury. The gap between East Surry and the rest of the west this year is head and shoulders greater than MA last year, even at full strength if the bears and cardinals played 10 times last season it would’ve been a 5/5 series.

They only beat East Surry by 1 score last year before the injury. The gap between East Surry and the rest of the west this year is head and shoulders greater than MA last year, even at full strength if the bears and cardinals played 10 times last season it would’ve been a 5/5 series.
Got to agree at 90%, just not 100% sure though. Could be that one would be 6/4.Just beware of Swain, they can hurt someone.

I agree with you completely that injuries can derail a solid team quickly...however you are way off saying MA was a shoe in for the state finals last year had Greene and Smith not gotten injured. Heck, it took a last minute TD by MA as well as 2 VERY fortuitous calls/no calls in the Bear’s favor to beat ES the 1st time. That’s not meant to discredit the accomplishment of the Bears - they won the conference in the first matchup and no one can take that away. That being said, don’t act like they were an unstoppable force at full strength - ES was every bit as good as MA last season even when they were at full strength.

I agree with you completely that injuries can derail a solid team quickly...however you are way off saying MA was a shoe in for the state finals last year had Greene and Smith not gotten injured. Heck, it took a last minute TD by MA as well as 2 VERY fortuitous calls/no calls in the Bear’s favor to beat ES the 1st time. That’s not meant to discredit the accomplishment of the Bears - they won the conference in the first matchup and no one can take that away. That being said, don’t act like they were an unstoppable force at full strength - ES was every bit as good as MA last season even when they were at full strength.
East would most likely have won if Mount Airy had been 100% but a much closer game with no shutout based on history, 2013 & 2016.

2013 Reg, season Mount Airy won 34-13 then lost to East Surry in round 2 of the playoffs 20-10.
2016 Reg, season East Surry won 21-10 then lost to Mount Airy in round 2 of the playoffs 49-06

Last edited:
East would most likely have won if Mount Airy had been 100% but a much closer game with no shutout based on history, 2013 & 2016.

2013 Reg, season Mount Airy won 34-13 then lost to East Surry in round 2 of the playoffs 20-10.
2016 Reg, season East Surry won 21-10 then lost to Mount Airy in round 2 of the playoffs 49-06
It’s a rivalry. Damn near impossible for one to beat the other twice in the same season unless the talent gap is just huge!!

#freezingcoldtakes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT