ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Tournament

What a season for the SMC. I think everyone called it right being a down season. I stood by my early year prediction saying that come Tournament time that any team could win. Well Murphy wins championship with a 8-18 record. It might be safe to say we might not have a team get out of the 1st round. I hope we do ! Wishing all the SMC teams good luck

Prelim brackets are out. Tough draw for andrews with Union Academy, and for Cherokee with North Rowan. Highlands gets Highland Tech, which may be SMC's best hope. Hayesville gets Piedmont Community, which had to forfeit all but two wins this season but is a good team. Anybody know how MaxPreps treats forfeits?

Revised prelims just posted, taking Piedmony out. Hayesville now gets Highland Tech, Highlands gets Langtree Charter, and Cherokee now going to Lincoln Charter. Still no bid for HDHS, Murphy still going to WS Prep and Andrews still hosting Union Acad. Really tough draws for Andrews and Cherokee. Could see Hayesville and Highlands winning.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Revised prelims just posted, taking Piedmony out. Hayesville now gets Highland Tech, Highlands gets Langtree Charter, and Cherokee now going to Lincoln Charter. Still no bid for HDHS, Murphy still going to WS Prep and Andrews still hosting Union Acad. Really tough draws for Andrews and Cherokee. Could see Hayesville and Highlands winning.
Maybe the long trip to the mountains will take a toll on them

I hope so, too. Union Academy is 16th best statewide according to MaxPreps, but seeded 19th on west because even though they beat a lot of the 2A and 3A teams around Monroe non conference (Cuthbertson, Piedmont, Anson, CATA), they struggled some in their conference full of Charlotte charters. Good guards and home court mean a lot in playoffs and Andrews has both of those, but they're playing a good team.

Last edited:
I hope so, too. Union Academy is 16th best statewide according to MaxPreps, but seeded 19th on west because even though they beat a lot of the 2A and 3A teams around Monroe non conference (Cuthbertson, Piedmont, Anson, CATA), they struggled some in their conference full of Charlotte charters. Good guards and home court mean a lot in playoffs and Andrews has both of those, but they're playing a good team.
Big team, 6’8 6’6 6’4 a bunch of 6’3 players. Didn’t look fast but big. We’ve got a tough road ahead of us. Again it will be the little things. Boxing out, crisp passes, hustle plays and drive & kick out. I always love a challenge especially on our home court

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Big team, 6’8 6’6 6’4 a bunch of 6’3 players. Didn’t look fast but big. We’ve got a tough road ahead of us. Again it will be the little things. Boxing out, crisp passes, hustle plays and drive & kick out. I always love a challenge especially on our home court

The good news for Andrews is, when you look at UA's stat sheet, it doesn't look like the 6-8 kid from the roster has been playing in games this year. The bad news is it looks like their starting front line goes 6-3, 6-4, and 6-6, so still a good bit bigger than Andrews.

A few other things of note--they only shoot 24% from 3 as a team (without a single player even cracking 30%), but average over 10 steals a game. So it looks like taking care of the ball and protecting the lane will be huge for Andrews.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Union is a really good team. They were good last season and have everyone back. They are a tough draw for teams as they are quick, big and athletic as most Charlotte teams. You are right in they can't shoot it great but they are better than their seed. They could make some noise in that bracket. Good luck to all teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT