ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Tournament

Usually they play the semis Thurs-Sat after the regular season ends, the semis the next Mon-Tues, and the final the next Friday.

Hopefully i did this right-
Girls Boys
1 Murphy 1 Cherokee

4 Hayesville 4 Robbinsville
5 Swain 5 Murphy

3 Robbinsville 3 Swain
6 Rosman 6 Rosman

2 Cherokee 2 Hayesville
7 Andrews 7 Andrews

Varsity Girls
2/8: (4) Hayesville v. (5) Rosman
2/9: (2) Cherokee v. (7) Andrews
2/10: (3) Robbinsville v. (6) Swain
2/12: (1) Murphy v. Hayesville/Rosman
2/13: Cherokee/Andrews v. Robbinsville/Swain
2/16: Championship

Varsity Boys
2/8: (4) Murphy v. (5) Robbinsville
2/9: (2) Hayesville v. (7) Andrews
2/10: (3) Swain v. (6) Rosman
2/12: (1) Cherokee v. Robbinsville/Murphy
2/13: Hayesville/Andrews v. Rosman/Swain

On the boys' side, Rosman being a 6 seed but having Thomas back could make things interesting, though might be tough to beat Swain for a 3rd time with Maroon Devils playing much better the last month or so. Girls side I think will end up Murphy/Cherokee round 3 in the finals.

Last edited:
Varsity Girls
2/8: (4) Hayesville v. (5) Rosman
2/9: (2) Cherokee v. (7) Andrews
2/10: (3) Robbinsville v. (6) Swain
2/12: (1) Murphy v. Hayesville/Rosman
2/13: Cherokee/Andrews v. Robbinsville/Swain

Varsity Boys
2/8: (4) Murphy v. (5) Robbinsville
2/9: (2) Hayesville v. (7) Andrews
2/10: (3) Swain v. (6) Rosman
2/12: (1) Cherokee v. Robbinsville/Murphy
2/13: Hayesville/Andrews v. Rosman/Swain

On the boys' side, Rosman being a 6 seed but having Thomas back could make things interesting, though might be tough to beat Swain for a 3rd time with Maroon Devils playing much better the last month or so. Girls side I think will end up Murphy/Cherokee round 3 in the finals.

Thanks for cleaning up my mess. I had it spaced out, but when i posted it was a gobbled up mess.

Murphy wins by 18 in a very sloppy game. R’ville could not hit anything remotely close and beyond the arc wasn’t better. Murphy could have won by even more but rested up for Cherokee. Props to R’ville on the season. These boys made it despite character issues, injuries and our only big man gets the flu.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Congrats Wildcats, but how did you beat the greatest Coach?
We beat them handlely. Lead for the entire game and by as much as 26 points. Got tired towards the end but still won by double digits. We played the Box & 1 on Cottrell and he only had 4 points going into the 4th quarter. We had them by 18 at halftime at Andrews and give it away but not tonight. We had great fan support from Andrews and you could tell all the other fans from other schools were cheering for us. The win for our young team was awesome and hearing nothing but quiteness from the obnoxious Hayesville students section was just as good

Reactions: TigerDen1
I know this subject was talked about earlier this season but a word to the wise. You can set anywhere you want to but it would be wise to look and see which side your fans are setting on. If you think you can set amongst the opposing teams fans and run your mouth your asking for trouble. You know your going to hear things you don’t like so take your butt and set with your fans and they won’t be a issue. We will give it back if your dumb enough to go there.

Congrats wildcats 1out of 3 not bad
Lol. You know we handed the 1st game to you on a silver platter and since you went there it was so nice. After years of seeing your team leave the starters in all night and running the score up on everyone made it so nice. Every dog has its day and today was the day. Even with all the Duke flopping to get a call didn’t help tonight. Lol. The old Box & 1 defense shut your star down and held him to 4 points going into the 4th. Just keep in mind we started 3 Freshman and had a 4th one who played half or more of the game. Look forward to many more nights like this

Reactions: BravesGWY
Lol call it how you want. We obviously took it away from you not once but twice. And yes our 3 freshman were in there also so I guess they’ll be plenty of more times. Like i said 1 out of 3 this yr :)
We will meet again and we’re enjoying every moment of it tonight being the Conference tournament on a neutral court and seeing you didn’t have the officials from the SMC to bail you out. Till next year !!!

Reactions: Br549_
On to the State playoffs!! Maybe you can get us again there!
Good one ! I didn’t show any class with my posts last night but neither has your coach over the last several years. It’s funny how teams or fans don’t forget someone running the score up with their starters still in the game in the 4th. Anyone can take a loss but when you disrespect a team and their coach you don’t forget. Me and a fan from Robbinsville was talking about another coach and team that done that many years ago and they never forgot and continued to pay them back for many years. Enjoy your one game in the playoffs

Bottom line is that sometimes you lose in basketball. Even Puke and UNC have lost to cellar dwellers too. Not a good feeling, but it happens! No one goes undefeated in this game. One exception, think Hayesville is the only team in the SMC to ever go undefeated, 31-0.

Jackets have exceeded all expectations this year. Most predicted a 4th - 5th place finish hoping to play .500 ball. I’ll take 2nd and a trip to the Playoffs with this years team!

I’ve always wondered this is it ok for the losing team to have their starters in and playing hard late in game against the other teams 3rd string ? I see this all the time or is that excepted ?

Bottom line is that sometimes you lose in basketball. Even Puke and UNC have lost to cellar dwellers too. Not a good feeling, but it happens! No one goes undefeated in this game. One exception, think Hayesville is the only team in the SMC to ever go undefeated, 31-0.

Jackets have exceeded all expectations this year. Most predicted a 4th - 5th place finish hoping to play .500 ball. I’ll take 2nd and a trip to the Playoffs with this years team!
You have a great program for sure. Great players, great coaches but keep in mind class goes a long way. People don’t forget that and as you can tell by the many posters on here that have negative things to say about your program that it’s just not me. It’s also disrespectful to let your student section act the way they do. So much for reading the code of ethics about sportsmanship before the game. The Principal could and should put a stop to some of that nonsense. Your school is the only one in the conference that try to act like the Duke crazies. Again this a class thing. Going out and diving on the floor in pregame warmups, strutting around like a college team, running the score up and out of control students. Look around the conference and you will not see this from any other program. Just go play the game like all the other mountain teams and maybe you will get a little respect

Our bench plays almost every 4th qtr we aren’t like you guys . Our bench is good sorry you can’t stop them but you sure do keep your star in to get his points

Anyway I’ll keep the peace . You are invited to sit on our section for the championship night. We will even let you cheer for us

I’ve always wondered this is it ok for the losing team to have their starters in and playing hard late in game against the other teams 3rd string ? I see this all the time or is that excepted ?
That’s not right either. What is being accomplished either way. Back in the day coaches respected one another and cleared the bench. The only thing that has changed is because of the 3 point Shot you have to get a bigger lead. Before the 3 you could get a 20 point lead and clear the bench starting the 4th now with the 3 you need a little more cushion than 20 when your playing a good team. But no the losing team needs to pull their starters also and I’ve witnessed this and most all fans agree that it’s time to give the younger players playing time

Great win Andrews. Not a fan of how Hayesville acts in basketball. But I have to say I didn't like Braves play against us at home. They fouled a kid to stop the clock with seconds left to just drop 100 on us. Don't agree with that play either. But Hayesville does take the cake in basketball. Student section is ridiculous. I'm shocked as well as principal allows it.

Hey we’re sorry if y’all can’t find a classy way to warm up. Thing is when can warm up and still play. Last I recall you bunch of parents acting worse than the kids in our student section shows real class.
Actually 2 years ago one of your parents threw water bottle at our kids so your parents aren't any better.

I know this subject was talked about earlier this season but a word to the wise. You can set anywhere you want to but it would be wise to look and see which side your fans are setting on. If you think you can set amongst the opposing teams fans and run your mouth your asking for trouble. You know your going to hear things you don’t like so take your butt and set with your fans and they won’t be a issue. We will give it back if your dumb enough to go there.
Wildcat I also don't know why this happens. Why do people want to sit in different section? You know it's going to cause problems.

Had that problem at Hayesville this year an older man sat on our side and was causing a fuss and tried to fight our fans. But it’s expected at Hayesville as there fans always throw racial stuff into the mix when we play. But it is what it is . I been to probably 15 or 16 games this year and that was the only problem I’ve witnessed

Had that problem at Hayesville this year an older man sat on our side and was causing a fuss and tried to fight our fans. But it’s expected at Hayesville as there fans always throw racial stuff into the mix when we play. But it is what it is . I been to probably 15 or 16 games this year and that was the only problem I’ve witnessed
I’ve thought this for years and last night fans from opposing teams had words. It almost got real. Our fan made a comment about the officiating and low and behold a fan from the the other team was on our side. If your going to set amongst the fans from the other team you know your going to hear things so just go set with your own fans. A lot of jawing but he finally shut his pie whole when he realized he was out numbered. Lol

Lol. That was took all wrong the water bottle was thrown at the ref and not a kid. That parent was also not allowed back either. Then again no different than the parents sitting right above our kidson the bench and running their mouth. But either way no need in that type behavior period and shouldn’t be tolerated by either team.
She had terrible aim than.lol because it missed H. Reese by 3 steps. Should not been allowed at all. Woman should have been kicked out right than. Idon't agree with any of that behavior. I have even called out Rosman for bad behavior before. I'm not one to take up for anybody if they are in wrong.

Theme tournament is tough because some gsme your the home and the next your the away. I wasn’t there yesterday so I don’t how Murphy has it set up

She had terrible aim than.lol because it missed H. Reese by 3 steps. Should not been allowed at all. Woman should have been kicked out right than. Idon't agree with any of that behavior. I have even called out Rosman for bad behavior before. I'm not one to take up for anybody if they are in wrong.
I agree and I have never called out a player on the court and will not. It’s up to the officials to take care of that

Anyone know about forfeit loss cherokee has listed on maxpreps? just saw it today vs swain?

Even worse is when the losing team leaves their starters in presses the other teams 3rd team. I seen this happen too often.

As for teams playing their starter later, I had it happen to my teams many times. Here is the thing, it is up to us to stop them not them stop themselves. There are many reasons to play starters late in the game. Here are a few:

Teams are working new offenses or defense in game conditions against teams that don’t know the “play”.
Teams may have a player returning from illness/injury and need to get minutes for them to help develop chemistry.
To maintain conditioning for the team. Often in the second half of the year coaches count on games to help condition their players. This can be done in practice but often makes it tough for athletes to have their “legs” for games.
To punish the other team, maybe that were bad to “run it up” in the past on that coach or team. Maybe the other team runs their mouth or cheap shots players.
Perhaps to intimidate that team for future matchups or to intimidate other teams who “scoreboard watch”.

In the end the coach is charged with doing what he/she considers is best for his/her team.

Last edited:
Even worse is when the losing team leaves their starters in presses the other teams 3rd team. I seen this happen too often.

As for teams playing their starter later, I had it happen to my teams many times. Here is the thing, it is up to us to stop them not them start themselves. There are many reasons to play starters late in the game. Here are a few:

Teams are working new offenses or defense in game conditions against teams that don’t know the “play”.
Teams may have a player returning from illness/injury and need to get minutes for them to help develop chemistry.
To maintain conditioning for the team. Often in the second half of the year coaches count on games to help condition their players. This can be done in practice but often makes it tough for athletes to have their “legs” for games.
To punish the other team, maybe that were bad to “run it up” in the past on that coach or team. Maybe the other team runs their mouth or cheap shots players.
Perhaps to intimidate that team for future matchups or to intimidate other teams who “scoreboard watch”.

In the end the coach is charged with doing what he/she considers is best for his/her team.
That about covers every base. Sounds like a politician lol. It’s nothing but a respect thing. Either you want to show respect or you don’t. I’m sure any coach can come up with some excuse as to which one is is going to show. Lol that was some entertaining reasons though.

Anyone know about forfeit loss cherokee has listed on maxpreps? just saw it today vs swain?
The rumor mill has said Cherokee had an ineligible player. I heard it could have been 3 games forfeited but I personally don’t know. I know the Day boy didn’t have the grades when he transferred to play but if he is the guy then Cherokee would have known. I doubt this is the issue and just to reiterate I don’t know.

No it’s a kid who moved a month ago played in 2 games in mop up times. He is Cherokee and moved to take care of his terminally ill aunt . I heard they got the ok from the state played him then the state said no. A player said they appealing but idk what will come of it.

Well that clears that up. I hate the Day kids is out but Cherokee still stomped us without him. And with the forfeiture the only negative is the Maxpreps rankings. Which is bull. Home court goes a long way and traveling definitely inhibits play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT