ADVERTISEMENT

SMC scores

Sounds like Murphy is a tad bit overrated.
Talent wise they are not, 'Dogs returned 15 starters off a team that manhandled everyone they played last season minus Franklin. But this is a clear cut case of: talent doesn't always equal success. This year's Murphy team lacks the fire, the leadership and the attitude that last year's team had, especially defensively.

First off, huge congrats to Swain County tonight as they knock off Murphy. Sounds like the Bulldogs were very undisciplined as far as penalties go and have a lot of work to do on defense if they want to represent the West this year come playoffs. I hate to see it unraveling like this for Murphy as we head down the stretch. Not sure if they are a Top 10 team right now with as much talent as there is in 1A football this year. We'll see how far they drop in next weeks' poll?

Big win tonight for Hayesville on Homecoming Night over visiting Andrews 21-9. Jackets have a chance to finish strong and pick up a couple of conference wins with Rosman still on the schedule.

Man, Cherokee just keeps on winning as they keep Robbinsville out of the endzone holding them to 3 field goals tonight at Ray Kinsland Stadium. Not sure when the last time the Black Knights were blanked and failed to score a single touchdown in a game? Maybe some of the Graham County faithful can fill us in on that stat?

Cherokee is definitely in the drivers seat. If they come into the Murphy game undefeated then it could set up at least a share of the crown. Playoffs should be interesting. No clear favorite with tonight’s game. It’ll be a dog fight. Hopefully R’ville doesn’t tailspin they still have a lot to play for. They have been in the game in their conference losses. Let’s win out and recharge for a deep run.

Have not really followed SMC football much (although I agree you guys do it right and usually the best in 1A) but very proud of what Coach Briggs is doing at Cherokee. Looking at their past records they had only won 3 conference games in the 6 years before he took over. He was assigned as my recruiter when I decided to walk on at WCU in 1984 from the eastern part of the state. He is a great guy and a great coach. Really happy for the success he is having now.
Best of luck to all the SMC teams as you close out the season. Everyone else in the State knows you will be bringing fundamental hard hitting football whether they are facing Murphy or Andrews come playoff time even if they will not admit it.

I like your optimism Nole, but I don't see us getting past this loss. The wheels have gradually been working their way loose over time. Our defense is having a lot of trouble containing any type of run game. Last night was just waiting to happen. Anyone with any knowledge of swain/murphy rivalry knows what this game means. Swain can be winless and will be more than ready to take us behind the woodshed when we visit Bryson City (winless since 2005) As my buddy told me, a championship caliber team will go to Swain and take care of business. We have indeed done well in years past after losing to Swain. That's previous teams who had a fire under their rear end tho. Last night was a prime example that the offense is not always going to be able to bail the D out. This particular team has a lot of potential but cant seem to get the "total" package on the field. A loss to cherokee or a possible 3 way tie for 2nd, could potentially put Murphy all the way back 4th pending coin flip or however they do it. A lot yet to be decided in the next 2 weeks. I hope for the best, but imo basketball season could be about on schedule this season. I dont see a deep playoff run for this team.

Last edited:
Last night was sloppy (the past few weeks have been sloppy), but before people start shoveling the dirt on top of Murphy for this season, let me remind you that four times in the past ('87, '91, '11, '13) Murphy lost at Swain but then went on to win the state championship at the end of the season. So I'd slow down on the "Murphy is overrated" talk. This is still a loaded team and it will ( well, should) only grow and get better now that Creelman is back in the fold and as he gets back into playing shape, just in time for Cherokee and the playoffs. This season is far from over. The Dogs ain't dead yet. Perhaps losing to Swain was the wake up call they needed.

I stick by my overrated talk. Murphy went from #1 in SMC to now fighting for 3rd place. So yes, overrated.

Look Clemson lost to Syracuse and does anyone think they aren’t a top 5 team. No . Murphy is still the favorite in 1a

I would be concerned if I was the rest of the State. I believe what happened against Swain has woken a sleeping bear. You probably will see a very agressive defense the rest of the way for Murphy. Don’t count them out yet. The Cherokee game should tell everyone what Murphy will do come playoffs

The sleeping giant analogy sounds good. Sounds like Murphy believed the hype instead of living up to it. Im sure they are still Murphy and they are still good..Mt.Airy is on another level if they are 1a or 1aa.

Murphy's season is at a crossroads. Either this loss wakes them up and they start playing with a focus, a fire and an intensity defensively that's been missing for a month.. OR they fold like a cheap tent and go thru the motions on their way to an early playoff exit.

It's up the players, not the coaches, to decide if they want this badly enough. Some of these seniors need to step up as leaders and let their teammates know that this isn't acceptable, it isn't what Murphy football is all about. Talent is not and has not been the problem, when Murphy plays their best there isn't a team in the west 1A or 1AA that would beat them, but that Murphy team hasn't taken the field yet (not even against Franklin).

We'll see how badly these boys want it, starting next week.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Everyone has not gave Swain any credit. Swain has a huge line on Offense & Defense. When these two teams play you can throw out season records. It’s not like Murphy got beat by a no name team. It’s Swain. Just keep everything in perspective here

Everyone has not gave Swain any credit. Swain has a huge line on Offense & Defense. When these two teams play you can throw out season records. It’s not like Murphy got beat by a no name team. It’s Swain. Just keep everything in perspective here
I'd buy that Wildcat if this was a blip, but the way Murphy has been playing on the defensive side of the football the last month was building towards something like this.

Well everyone said when we drilled Swain that this was worst Swain team ever. When smokey played us close it was smokey was awful but yet they play Hendersonville to the final minute and beat brevard. Lol now Swain is great I get it .

What's up gwy!! I came on here so you and a couple others won't be alone!! Murphy fan's are alot more respectful then robinsville fan's, not all but alot of you guys just floor me from robinsville!! I've got some great friends from robinsville to!! Really believe you guys are just gonna be teachin history lessons till that mite team gets up there!!

Not sure where I seen it but tha question was, is that new transfer rule got anything to do with swains football program!?? And 1 swain person said, o no it ain't got anythang to do with it!! Hahahaha!!! It has everythang to do with it!!!! Minus tha enrolled members from your jv and varsity and tell me what you get!!!

Murphy might need 50 points to even be in the game at Cherokee with this defense. You cant win in November with half a team...

The good thing is that Murphy is more than capable of putting up those kind of numbers....The team that I saw on TV against Pisgah would blow through the 1A like a Hurricane, yet something happened after that loss to Franklin....Best I remember there were a few seniors that got suspended or something for pulling a Senior Prank after the loss to Franklin.....Most Seniors wait until the end of the year to pull those type of shenanigans, so I wondered then what the leadership structure of the Bulldogs was after that happened?

Don't really expect Rosman to be much of a challenge to Murphy this friday as the Bulldogs will undoubtedly be fired up, and the Tigers defense hasn't really stopped anybody all year, but that final game at Cherokee as someone mentioned above will be a better indicator of what to expect from the Bulldogs moving forward...

Roar Tigers Roar!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT