ADVERTISEMENT

SMC predictions

Yeah all this Division 1 players doesn’t make sense. In my opinion why would a good local athlete want to go to a Division 1 school to set on the bench or just avg 3 minutes a game. Isn’t playing sports at the next level about continuing to play a game you love and being on the court or is it just a bragging right so you can tell everyone you play Division 1. I’ve watched Division 1 through 3 basketball and I don’t see anyone in our conference that is Division 1 and maybe not Division 2. Personally I would go where I stood a great chance of playing the game

As far as I know . I do know the younger has to have knee surgury and will miss some time

Close game tuesday between 2 top 3 teams from last year in rosman vs swain. Rosman by 3. Thomas 42 points, 9 rebounds to lead rosman. Bradley 19 pts, 12 rebounds, 6 assists.

Sam how can you can he will out coach anyone . He had a division 1 player in the smc last year and almost finished last. Cherokee beat them by 50+ both times

It’s like this. Last year Jackets were definitely down, but beat Murpy, Robbinsville, Rosman and Andrews. Took Swain County (11-1 in SMC) to OT. Lost to Cherokee by 32 and 39. (definitely took a good beating here).

Year before that when Cherokee was loaded with their D-1 players, Jackwts beat them by 24 at home. Then at Cherokee in the SMC Conference Championship they lost to Cherokee by 6 or 7 points, I watched that game. Cherokee had by far the better team, but was out coached. It should have been a blowout by the Braves. So yeah, I’ll take Cottrell over any other SMC Coach. No disrespect to them, but Cottrell has proven himself for over 20 years. I’ll bet the house that he has won more games in the last 20 yrs. than any other team in SMC.

Yeah all this Division 1 players doesn’t make sense. In my opinion why would a good local athlete want to go to a Division 1 school to set on the bench or just avg 3 minutes a game. Isn’t playing sports at the next level about continuing to play a game you love and being on the court or is it just a bragging right so you can tell everyone you play Division 1. I’ve watched Division 1 through 3 basketball and I don’t see anyone in our conference that is Division 1 and maybe not Division 2. Personally I would go where I stood a great chance of playing the game

I think for most players the choice should be focused on the school not the basketball program. Most will never play the game again after college, but will hopefully use a degree to lead a productive life. Many times if the choice is only about basketball and they see little playing time then they quit or transfer. I know a young man who turned down several mid majors to walk on at UNC and be part of one of the best programs in the nation. He worked hard got some playing time, his degree and the experience of a lifetime. As for being a D-1 or D-2 school that is an individual choice. Most players coming out of high school believe they can play at a high level. Many want the challenge of competing against the best. Many want a small school lifestyle. Others want to stay close to home. One advantage of D-1 is the perks that come with it: better facilities, bigger support staff, usually cost of attendance stipends, more travel, bigger crowds, increased chance to be on tv, more media attention, etc.. in the end it is a personal choice.

Reactions: BravesGWY
I think for most players the choice should be focused on the school not the basketball program. Most will never play the game again after college, but will hopefully use a degree to lead a productive life. Many times if the choice is only about basketball and they see little playing time then they quit or transfer. I know a young man who turned down several mid majors to walk on at UNC and be part of one of the best programs in the nation. He worked hard got some playing time, his degree and the experience of a lifetime. As for being a D-1 or D-2 school that is an individual choice. Most players coming out of high school believe they can play at a high level. Many want the challenge of competing against the best. Many want a small school lifestyle. Others want to stay close to home. One advantage of D-1 is the perks that come with it: better facilities, bigger support staff, usually cost of attendance stipends, more travel, bigger crowds, increased chance to be on tv, more media attention, etc.. in the end it is a personal choice.
I can see all that but again I guess i’m just seeing it from my point of view. It’s a lot of hard work and very time consuming just to set on the bench. The main thing is the education and I totally agree with that. To each his own and I wish all our local athletes the best and I try to keep up with those who are blessed to go on

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Well it’s finally b-ball season for the braves . I think both Cherokee teams will be very good . Prob be a rough start since everyone prob played 8-10 games

It’s like this. Last year Jackets were definitely down, but beat Murpy, Robbinsville, Rosman and Andrews. Took Swain County (11-1 in SMC) to OT. Lost to Cherokee by 32 and 39. (definitely took a good beating here).

Year before that when Cherokee was loaded with their D-1 players, Jackwts beat them by 24 at home. Then at Cherokee in the SMC Conference Championship they lost to Cherokee by 6 or 7 points, I watched that game. Cherokee had by far the better team, but was out coached. It should have been a blowout by the Braves. So yeah, I’ll take Cottrell over any other SMC Coach. No disrespect to them, but Cottrell has proven himself for over 20 years. I’ll bet the house that he has won more games in the last 20 yrs. than any other team in SMC.
Well is it his coaching or just a very well coached youth program which has been a open pipeline that feeds the Varsity with good talent that are ready to play as soon as he gets them. I’m sorry but I lost a lot of respect for your coach that I once had. During his many winning seasons I thought he conducted himself very well but after watching him lose last year and even seen him kicked out of the Andrews at Hayesville game, well let’s just say it’s easy to look good when your winning but quite a difference when your having a off season. It’s easy to show class when you win but show the same class when you lose

Reactions: TigerDen1
Well is it his coaching or just a very well coached youth program which has been a open pipeline that feeds the Varsity with good talent that are ready to play as soon as he gets them. I’m sorry but I lost a lot of respect for your coach that I once had. During his many winning seasons I thought he conducted himself very well but after watching him lose last year and even seen him kicked out of the Andrews at Hayesville game, well let’s just say it’s easy to look good when your winning but quite a difference when your having a off season. It’s easy to show class when you win but show the same class when you lose

You may be right, but do you think your CURRENT coach has never acted out. WOW! He is the poster child for bad behavior in the SMC!!

Sam has to bash everyone. It's just like he was bashing Murphy on the football boards about how they can't win in 1aa. You bash Murphys football program but yet Hayesville wins on average around a game or two a year. I'm from Andrews so I can't say much on the football but I can say this. When Hayesville starts beating Murphy in football, then you can run your mouth about Murphy not winning in 1aa. As for basketball, Our basketball coach has out coached your basketball coach and has smc conference championships. That doesn't happen by not having some fire under people's hindends. So this "bad behavior" you speak of, is irrelevant. As for cottrell, he got into a confrontation with a fan at the Andrews game THIS YEAR. He had to be restrained. So let that speak for itself. Oh and one more thing.... Better tell the jackets to bring their A game when the wildcats come to town. This time the 3 freshman starters will have a lot under their belts and will not blow a 20 point lead. Look out cause Andrews won't go down easy for ANY team in the next 4 years.

Sam has to bash everyone. It's just like he was bashing Murphy on the football boards about how they can't win in 1aa. You bash Murphys football program but yet Hayesville wins on average around a game or two a year. I'm from Andrews so I can't say much on the football but I can say this. When Hayesville starts beating Murphy in football, then you can run your mouth about Murphy not winning in 1aa. As for basketball, Our basketball coach has out coached your basketball coach and has smc conference championships. That doesn't happen by not having some fire under people's hindends. So this "bad behavior" you speak of, is irrelevant. As for cottrell, he got into a confrontation with a fan at the Andrews game THIS YEAR. He had to be restrained. So let that speak for itself. Oh and one more thing.... Better tell the jackets to bring their A game when the wildcats come to town. This time the 3 freshman starters will have a lot under their belts and will not blow a 20 point lead. Look out cause Andrews won't go down easy for ANY team in the next 4 years.
Well the fan approached him on the court after shaking hands! He didn’t have to be restrained I watched the whole thing. After he walked away that same fan said something to another coach! You talk about class but yet when a coach feels threatened he is not supposed to defend himself! Get real!! The fault lies with your administration and AD (who by the way didn’t leave his chair) for not intervening in the situation! When Cottrell got spit on at Cherokee last year after losing by 39 he did the same thing walked away! So before u bring up class don’t look through your rose colored glass, actually find out what went on and who the aggressor was and who didn’t show class!!! It was a great game by some great athletes on both teams (which I know kids from both personally and they are all good kids) so leave it at that! I hope for another great game when they play at Hayesville!!!!

Last edited:
I can see all that but again I guess i’m just seeing it from my point of view. It’s a lot of hard work and very time consuming just to set on the bench. The main thing is the education and I totally agree with that. To each his own and I wish all our local athletes the best and I try to keep up with those who are blessed to go on

I guess it depends on what the kids goals are. Splinters on the hind end for a few years can be worth it in the right situation. For a kid who wants to get into coaching, I think the time and sweat involved in riding the bench as a walk-on at a big-time school is worth it for the connections they'll make--don't look at it as working hard for no playing time, but working hard to develop a network and resume. Similar principle for a kid who rides the bench at a place like Davidson or an Ivy League or some really prestigious D3s (Emory/Sewanee, etc.) where being an athlete can get you in the door for a very profitable degree, or kids who want to go to law school/med school/dental school and need to set their application apart. Beyond those situations, though, I agree with your stance--if you aren't playing and it is costing you, it rarely makes sense to do it.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what the kids goals are. Splinters on the hind end for a few years can be worth it in the right situation. For a kid who wants to get into coaching, I think the time and sweat involved in riding the bench as a walk-on at a big-time school is worth it for the connections they'll make--don't look at it as working hard for no playing time, but working hard to develop a network and resume. Similar principle for a kid who rides the bench at a place like Davidson or an Ivy League or some really prestigious D3s (Emory/Sewanee, etc.) where being an athlete can get you in the door for a very profitable degree, or kids who want to go to law school/med school/dental school and need to set their application apart. Beyond those situations, though, I agree with your stance--if you aren't playing and it is costing you, it rarely makes sense to do it.
Very good points also. It’s good that some of us can shine light with different opinions without offending someone

Reactions: recycled2

This post is so ridiculous, it does not even deserve a comment!!

Well the fan approached him on the court after shaking hands! He didn’t have to be restrained I watched the whole thing. After he walked away that same fan said something to another coach! You talk about class but yet when a coach feels threatened he is not supposed to defend himself! Get real!! The fault lies with your administration and AD (who by the way didn’t leave his chair) for not intervening in the situation! When Cottrell got spit on at Cherokee last year after losing by 39 he did the same thing walked away! So before u bring up class don’t look through your rose colored glass, actually find out what went on and who the aggressor was and who didn’t show class!!! It was a great game by some great athletes on both teams (which I know kids from both personally and they are all good kids) so leave it at that! I hope for another great game when they play at Hayesville!!!!

Amen! Excellent post!!

Thanks wildcat, sounds like good game, how did Tigers look?
Very good as usual but maybe not as strong as last year. Seems to only use 1 man off the bench so maybe thin there. Your big man is deadly like always but had early foul trouble. Well coached and solid defense. Most of all very clean cut young men and great sportsmanship was shown all night. The game was tied up with 25 seconds so yes it was a good game. I really thought the game would have been a high scoring game.

Reactions: MRC3 and TigerDen1

It can be a very profitable part time job, especially if they are on a full ride which all D-1 basketball signees are on.

Very good as usual but maybe not as strong as last year. Seems to only use 1 man off the bench so maybe thin there. Your big man is deadly like always but had early foul trouble. Well coached and solid defense. Most of all very clean cut young men and great sportsmanship was shown all night. The game was tied up with 25 seconds so yes it was a good game. I really thought the game would have been a high scoring game.
Thanks, we look pretty good defense wise, pretty solid, we just need to find ways on offense to get Thomas brothers the ball. Hopefully will get Chappell back in Jan. We have two more kids who come off bench but they have Mono. So right now we are short on bench play.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Wildcat did you guys knock off Swain?
Yes 81 to 80. We came back from 20 down and went ahead with about 15 seconds. I must say that Swain is a very good team. We didn’t play good defense in the 3rd quarter but finally woke up. In my 45 years of watching basketball I have never witnessed a game that was officiated like this one. At least 6 technicals 1 fan ejected. This one referee who left the Asheville Association to come officiate in our conference took the game from the players and made it all about him. This is the 2nd game we have had him and a Swain fan said they have had him 3 games. Swain had 3 top players in the first half in foul trouble and then we got it in the 2nd half. One last note if you play at Swain and the game is on the line, watch the Clock official. He flat out cheated by not running the clock the last 5 seconds. The official had to go over two times but both times Swain ended up with more time. We were lucky to get out of there with a win. One thing for sure the athletes from both sides got cheated tonight

Of course in all the football frenzy I neglected to see that Day is back from Mississippi. That hands down makes Cherokee the team to beat. IMO after the firing of Tullos and the departure of Day, it was big wrench and what would of been an easy repeat of Conference champs. Cherokee still managed to hang around with their talent but when you lose a 20+ scorer that’s hard to replicate. Mintz is a big body and Straughan is a shifty scorer but now the team has someone who can take over a game just like Johnson and Mcmillian did in the previous year. It will take time for Cherokee to get out of football mode but giving Day focuses on B-ball and Cherokee is rich of shooters the adjustment won’t be that long. They have a good facilitator in Lossiah who handles very well. All I wonder is their coach still there?? Is there someone new taking over the duties? But like I’ve stated Cherokee will be hard to beat now that have added a proven baller back to their roster.

I was told same thing about Cherokee, that they had new Coach. Last year's coach is back at Asheville, but was told the new Coach knows nothing about bball. But I don't know if that's true or rumor.

I was told same thing about Cherokee, that they had new Coach. Last year's coach is back at Asheville, but was told the new Coach knows nothing about bball. But I don't know if that's true or rumor.
Wow that would be surprising if the rumor is true. Of course I agree with your skepticism giving the facilities and talent. But I have not heard anything from Cherokee fans. I guess R’ville will see this Tuesday. If the rumor that the new coach doesn’t know b-ball it might be because unlike volleyball, track, xc and other lesser watched high school sports it would be hard get away with coaching without having degree or being in the teaching profession.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I think Braves will have best team in conference either way.lol They are loaded on this basketball team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT