ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Playoffs

ObserveAndReport

Aug 18, 2009
Since the current SMC thread is 9 pages long, thought it might be good to start a new one for the playoffs. A few thoughts on tonight's games, hope others add to it:

Boys
(32) Highlands at (1) Lincoln Charter--Highlands stole a bid by winning their conference tournament, but I think their run stops tonight. Good news is Carrier (23 ppg) is only a sophomore and they're a pretty young team overall, so they'll be back and will have some playoff experience under their belt.

(28) Swain at (5) Hayesville--Never fun to draw a familiar opponent in the first round. Swain has shown they can play with Hayesville--they were up on them at the half at Swain. I think Hayesville takes it at home but it could be a close one.

(25) Andrews at (8) Mitchell--Andrews has lost 4 of 5 after a great start but I think has a shot at the upset in this one (if you'd call an 18-win team beating a 9-win team an upset). I've been reading that Mitchell has talented guards but not much size, which seems similar to Andrews, although Andrews does have some size now that B. Holloway is back from his injury. Only common opponent is Robbinsville, who played Andrews tight two of three times and who Mitchell destroyed by 40+--but Mitchell played Robbinsville about a week after the football state final so I'm not reading too much into that.

(24) Community School of Davidson at (9) Hiwassee Dam--Community School of Davidson is coming out of a tough conference with what looks like they a deep, balanced squad (only one player averages double digits, but 8 average at least four points) and ten seniors on the roster. There are some years when the Little Smoky Champ would also be a top Big Smoky team, but this HD team went 2-8 against Big Smoky teams.

(20) South Stokes at (13) Cherokee--Any NWC team is going to be tough team this year--although most of South Stokes league wins seem to have come from really having their rival North Stokes' number. I think this one will come down to which team can dictate the style. Cherokee averages over 70 points a game, while South Stokes has played some really good teams tight because they've kept things low scoring, but are 0-6 when the other team can get to 60 (and 2-11 when their opponent gets to 55).

Girls

(32) Pine Lake Prep at (1) Murphy--Pine Lake Prep performed pretty well in their league, but the fact that they didn't win a single non-conference game has me wondering how tough that league is. Long road trip for PLP. Union County--who Murphy beat by 25 with Addison out--playing tonight in GA's 2A quarterfinals is really driving home how good Murphy is this year.

(26) Bessemer City at (7) Highlands--For any Little Smoky skeptics, Highlands has beaten a 2A conference tournament champ (Brevard) and several other playoff teams (Rosman, Hayesville, Swain), and played some other really good teams (Franklin, Cherokee, Robbinsville) to within a basket. They're tough.

(24) Swain at (9) Cherokee-- They always say it's hard to beat a team three times, but based on how well Cherokee played in the SMC tournament, I don't expect a changed result from the regular season between these two.

(20) WS Prep at (13) Robbinsville-- Robbinsville has shown they're as good as anybody when they're healthy and clicking, but WS Prep's 10-14 record could be deceiving-- they're coming from a tough league and most of their non-conference was against larger schools.

(18) Polk County at (15) Hayesville--Tough game to call. Polk is coming out of a split conference with some really tough teams in it. Hayesville has been a little up and down, hope they are up tonight.

(17) Rosman at (16) Union Academy--I was really impressed with Union Academy when they came to Murphy two years ago. Obviously won't be the same players, but I thought they were a very well-coached program. Rosman is hard to get a read on, and is going into the playoffs on a four game skid.

Great overview of things O&R, you summed things up well. There are a couple of games that really pique my interest tonight:

Andrews at Mitchell

Will the 'Cats be able to put their late season swoon behind them? I don't have an answer for that, but I imagine a week off to recharge the batteries for a team that's been banged up down the stretch certainly didn't hurt things. If Andrews is healthy and the shots are falling this is a dangerous team.

South Stokes at Cherokee:

Everyone matches up differently but I am very curious to see how well an upper end SMC team performs against a competitive team from what is the best top to bottom boys conference (NWC) in 1A.

WS Prep at Robbinsville:

Will Trammell play? If so, is she anywhere near 100%? That's the big question for the Lady Knights. Robbinsville is a solid team but not much more than that without her, but WITH her they're talented enough to play with anybody in 1A.

Last edited:
Hayesville has a tough one playing swain for the fourth time, its gonna be a good game I have a feeling. Hayesville is the type of team that I could see them going to State or they could struggle tonight we will just have to wait and see.

Since the current SMC thread is 9 pages long, thought it might be good to start a new one for the playoffs. A few thoughts on tonight's games, hope others add to it:

Boys
(32) Highlands at (1) Lincoln Charter--Highlands stole a bid by winning their conference tournament, but I think their run stops tonight. Good news is Carrier (23 ppg) is only a sophomore and they're a pretty young team overall, so they'll be back and will have some playoff experience under their belt.

(28) Swain at (5) Hayesville--Never fun to draw a familiar opponent in the first round. Swain has shown they can play with Hayesville--they were up on them at the half at Swain. I think Hayesville takes it at home but it could be a close one.

(25) Andrews at (8) Mitchell--Andrews has lost 4 of 5 after a great start but I think has a shot at the upset in this one (if you'd call an 18-win team beating a 9-win team an upset). I've been reading that Mitchell has talented guards but not much size, which seems similar to Andrews, although Andrews does have some size now that B. Holloway is back from his injury. Only common opponent is Robbinsville, who played Andrews tight two of three times and who Mitchell destroyed by 40+--but Mitchell played Robbinsville about a week after the football state final so I'm not reading too much into that.

(24) Community School of Davidson at (9) Hiwassee Dam--Community School of Davidson is coming out of a tough conference with what looks like they a deep, balanced squad (only one player averages double digits, but 8 average at least four points) and ten seniors on the roster. There are some years when the Little Smoky Champ would also be a top Big Smoky team, but this HD team went 2-8 against Big Smoky teams.

(20) South Stokes at (13) Cherokee--Any NWC team is going to be tough team this year--although most of South Stokes league wins seem to have come from really having their rival North Stokes' number. I think this one will come down to which team can dictate the style. Cherokee averages over 70 points a game, while South Stokes has played some really good teams tight because they've kept things low scoring, but are 0-6 when the other team can get to 60 (and 2-11 when their opponent gets to 55).

Girls

(32) Pine Lake Prep at (1) Murphy--Pine Lake Prep performed pretty well in their league, but the fact that they didn't win a single non-conference game has me wondering how tough that league is. Long road trip for PLP. Union County--who Murphy beat by 25 with Addison out--playing tonight in GA's 2A quarterfinals is really driving home how good Murphy is this year.

(26) Bessemer City at (7) Highlands--For any Little Smoky skeptics, Highlands has beaten a 2A conference tournament champ (Brevard) and several other playoff teams (Rosman, Hayesville, Swain), and played some other really good teams (Franklin, Cherokee, Robbinsville) to within a basket. They're tough.

(24) Swain at (9) Cherokee-- They always say it's hard to beat a team three times, but based on how well Cherokee played in the SMC tournament, I don't expect a changed result from the regular season between these two.

(20) WS Prep at (13) Robbinsville-- Robbinsville has shown they're as good as anybody when they're healthy and clicking, but WS Prep's 10-14 record could be deceiving-- they're coming from a tough league and most of their non-conference was against larger schools.

(18) Polk County at (15) Hayesville--Tough game to call. Polk is coming out of a split conference with some really tough teams in it. Hayesville has been a little up and down, hope they are up tonight.

(17) Rosman at (16) Union Academy--I was really impressed with Union Academy when they came to Murphy two years ago. Obviously won't be the same players, but I thought they were a very well-coached program. Rosman is hard to get a read on, and is going into the playoffs on a four game skid.
Thank you and I concour on all

My thoughts on the Andrews at Mitchell game. With Mitchell having a great football team I expect a strong and fast team. Pittman was QB and Mckinney was a receiver and both had a lot of quickness and speed. I figure this team to be a lot like Murphy full of athletes. I think Andrews should try pressing them early and often or until we see if it works or doesn’t. I also like dropping out of the press into a zone if Mitchell is as athletic as I think they will be. Most of us knows what Andrews is capable of so I hope they are ready to play. I would like to see a more fluent offense and get away from so much iso. Don’t get me wrong we have the athletes to do it but if it’s not working you have to change it up.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Mitchell has alot of athletes but several of those are “football” players and not exactly basketball players. They play hard but sometimes that snt enough. Mitchell has a couple of guys who can on any give night hit multiple 3’s on other nights no so many. One of if not their best player is a non football guy. He can score and rebound pretty well, but like the entire team is inconsistent.
I know it sounds like I am bad mouthing this team but I’m not. Great bunch of young men. Just struggled at times closing out games. I wish them nothing but the best, but can see Andrews winning this one.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Mitchell has alot of athletes but several of those are “football” players and not exactly basketball players. They play hard but sometimes that snt enough. Mitchell has a couple of guys who can on any give night hit multiple 3’s on other nights no so many. One of if not their best player is a non football guy. He can score and rebound pretty well, but like the entire team is inconsistent.
I know it sounds like I am bad mouthing this team but I’m not. Great bunch of young men. Just struggled at times closing out games. I wish them nothing but the best, but can see Andrews winning this one.

Go Mountaineers
Sounds like both teams are about the same. And like you I’m not knocking my team either and i’m not trying to be a armchair Qb. I’m only stating what I see or would like to see from the bleachers. It will be a longer drive home if we lose. Lol

So our braves have a shot on Saturday? If they beat Lincoln charter?

Go Mountaineers
Congratulations to your Mountaineers
I really enjoyed listening to the game on WTOE. The announcers did a great job

I really think Robbinsville has a good chance at beating E. Surry. Maxpreps has East ranked 6th and Robbinsville 7th before last nights games.

Last edited:
Second Round Matchups

Boys
(12) Pine Lake Prep (18-9) at (5) Hayesville (24-3)
(13) Cherokee (18-9) at (4) Chatham Charter (29-1)

Girls
(16) Union Academy (18-8) at (1) Murphy (26-0)
(9) Cherokee (17-9) at (8) Lincoln Charter (21-5)
(21) Hiwassee Dam (10-16) at (5) Gray Stone Day (24-1)
(13) Robbinsville (22-6) at (4) East Surry (18-5)
(10) Langtree Charter (26-4) at (7) Highlands (16-11)
(15) Hayesville (16-12) at (2) Alleghany (25-3)

Robbinsville beat WSP by 39.
East beat them by an average of 20 over 3 games. 27 is the biggest margin east had over WSP. I know that doesn't always mean anything but its the only common opponent.

Good luck to all the Boys & Girls SMC teams tonight. I would appreciate any and all updates of scores. Thanks in advance

Cherokee 11 Chatham 23 end of 1st qtr....I should have went to girls game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT