ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Monday Games

Robbinsville girls 50 Hayesville 36 (hayesville couldnt make a shot)
Hayesville Boys 59 Robbinsville 21

I was pulling for Andrews boys at the start of the swain game but by the end i was hoping swain beat them. Andrews got away with multiple hand jesters during the game. This isnt the nba. Keep that thuggish crap out of the smc. Andrews coach seemed ok with it too. You can watch this display on maroon devil network.

Robbinsville girls are young but should finish 3rd atleast. Next year Rville girls will be much better and the 3 years after should be favored to win smc

Last edited:
Andrew's coach while he is a longtime coach has never been about discipline and teaching the boys character or how to act the right way. His own son was one of the worst with screaming at fans and acted like a fool and seemed to have that way of acting encouraged. He is certainly not on the level of a Coach Cottrell as far as teaching discipline.

Reactions: GreyGod623
I was pulling for Andrews boys at the start of the swain game but by the end i was hoping swain beat them. Andrews got away with multiple hand jesters during the game. This isnt the nba. Keep that thuggish crap out of the smc. Andrews coach seemed ok with it too. You can watch this display on maroon devil network.
Since when is showing enthusiasm in a highly contested game thuggish ? I watched the game and have seen most every game this season and our kids are not thuggish ! What’s the difference in a SMC football team scoring a TD and jumping in the air and chest bumping, what about flexing after making a sack. What about other basketball teams hitting a 3 pointer and leaving their hand in the air ! In my opinion I see nothing but pure emotion coming out in a game that was tight to the bitter end, it was the only time I seen that all season and I don’t think you should be calling young men thuggish after one incident. And as your comment about our coach he doesn’t condone such and it was addressed after the game !!! Before you make such a comment about our players and coaches you better know more about our team than just judging by the play at the end of one game

Not judging the Andrews team whatsoever but your head coach is not a disciplinarian. I remember being at a Swain game when his son was in school and after Swain won his son turned and started cussing at fans and tried to jump over the bench but was held back by assistants. It's my opinion but he condones inappropriate behavior and has for a while. He is a good coach in the aspect his teams are competitive but that doesn't mean he does it the right way.

Andrew's coach while he is a longtime coach has never been about discipline and teaching the boys character or how to act the right way. His own son was one of the worst with screaming at fans and acted like a fool and seemed to have that way of acting encouraged. He is certainly not on the level of a Coach Cottrell as far as teaching discipline.
I guess we all see things through different lenses because that’s how I see Cottrel and his youngest son. Lol. Different opinions from different sides of the court

Josh definitely had more of a swagger than Zach but the Maenles routinely crossed it one could argue that when Hayesville and Swain got in a football brawl his senior he was one of the main instigators. The Cottrell boys always had respect for officials and opponents.

Josh definitely had more of a swagger than Zach but the Maenles routinely crossed it one could argue that when Hayesville and Swain got in a football brawl his senior he was one of the main instigators. The Cottrell boys always had respect for officials and opponents.
Zach was always respectful and Josh was more wired. Don’t get me wrong those young men were ballers. Total respect for their game. But opposing fans always find something wrong with the top players in any sport. It’s part of the game. The same goes for coaches, we’re going to hate on each other’s coaches especially when they are winning. Different style coaching and the top players are always going to take criticism. What one might say is just being aggressive the other side will say they play dirty. What one might say a player plays with a lot of heart and enthusiasm the other side will say they’re cocky. It will always be a part of the game

Reactions: MRC3
Kid looked at swain fans and did some kind of sign.
The only thing I can think of until I go back and watch the game over is he made a 3 and did the 3 point hand sign. Trust me some people might not catch it but a lot of smack talk goes on during a game from all teams. Some times it spills over into emotions. It’s like when Kurt Odom did his gesture on the football field. Was Kurt a thug, NO Just emotions got the best of him. I’m sure Dee addressed that and Coach Maennle addressed this after the game. He doesn’t condone it all. Will anyone see this again this season from any team or players ? Probably, if it’s a intense game with a lot on the line and some smack talk going on you probably will

Reactions: CatDad312
Robbinsville girls are young but should finish 3rd atleast. Next year Rville girls will be much better and the 3 years after should be favored to win smc

Robbinsville girls are prob the 3rd best team but i see them finishing 4th because if Murphy beats them twice Hayesville will be ahead of them, and hayesville already played Murphy and Cherokee twice

Reactions: BK13T-$
It looked like a W sign to me. It also looked like another kid flexed after an and 1 basket to seal it. There was some emotion on display, but I heard the announcers complain about it more than I saw it.
Yes the announcers pointed it out. Understandable being from Swain. I like listening to those guys, they do a good job but like any other broadcasters they represent their school. Having said that I recall the game last year that was riddled with fouls and technicals where the Swain player looked at the Andrews crowd and pointed at the score board. They were ahead at that point but Andrews came back and won. I wasn’t upset. He was a kid in a very tough game and emotions spilled over. I’ve watched that same player several games and he has never done anything that was Unsportsmanlike.

I saw some emotional kids, but nothing too over the top like Dahntay Jones from Duke doing pushups when he dunked on a UVA player back in the day or anything. (Of course I'm a UNC fan so I'll take any opportunity to call out Duke). I will also say that the Andrews-Swain game was really physical and of the Andrews kids got fouled really hard with about a minute left (2:37:30 on the video) that probably got him a little riled up and a lot of kids probably would have responded to with more than a hand sign. Personally I like it when players have some fire, and it bugs me when NBA players act like best friends these days...although there is a fine line to be careful not to cross.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I saw some emotional kids, but nothing too over the top like Dahntay Jones from Duke doing pushups when he dunked on a UVA player back in the day or anything. (Of course I'm a UNC fan so I'll take any opportunity to call out Duke). I will also say that the Andrews-Swain game was really physical and of the Andrews kids got fouled really hard with about a minute left (2:37:30 on the video) that probably got him a little riled up and a lot of kids probably would have responded to with more than a hand sign. Personally I like it when players have some fire, and it bugs me when NBA players act like best friends these days...although there is a fine line to be careful not to cross.
Exactly, a fine line. The coach has it hard trying to find that line without taking anything away from his players. The play you were talking about must have been the Swain big man having our player on the court in a headlock. By the way I’m a Tarheel all the way. Lol

Wildcats still down to 7 players?
Yes, I heard one will be back but that was second hand knowledge. The two off the bench are getting more time and coming along nicely. The Martinez kid played limited minutes at Swain but ended up being the leading rebounder. He is a hustler. He also played good ball last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT