ADVERTISEMENT

SMC jv schedule

Murphy has plenty of them. I know some teachers over there.
Name all of them then, wise one. My point is that everyone points at these holdbacks like they are phenoms. The truth is that they are developmentally age appropriate and competing against kids younger than themselves. It evens out in high school but is a big deal in middle school age. Lasr year's Andrews JV team is a prime example. Were they good? Yup. But dang, they should have been. A bunch of 15-16 year olds playing against 13-14 year olds. For a fair assessment of a kid, find out his age, not his grade.

Last edited:
21-0 tha ville!! Our boys didn't play worth a crap!!! Neither 1 was impressive tho!!#20 ran ok!!

And robinsville fans I'm not tryin to be no way at all or take nothin away from unz win, just watchin Hooper last year run tha ball kinda puts others in slow mo!!!

Ive said all year we would be more smash than flash.

I noticed the score was 21-00 at halftime and end of game. Did Robbinsville let up and put subs in or did the Braves defense pick it up.

Name all of them then, wise one. My point is that everyone points at these holdbacks like they are phenoms. The truth is that they are developmentally age appropriate and competing against kids younger than themselves. It evens out in high school but is a big deal in middle school age. Lasr year's Andrews JV team is a prime example. Were they good? Yup. But dang, they should have been. A bunch of 15-16 year olds playing against 13-14 year olds. For a fair assessment of a kid, find out his age, not his grade.
Greygoose, the held back phenom as you call him is just 13 years old

Wrong, wrong, wrong. There were three, listen carefully so you don't sound stupid later, three 15 year olds. That's it, no "bunch" and not a single "16 year old". And to be fair, most years every team has one or two or a few that has been held back. Both Rumfelt kids are sophmores by age and are 15. I would wager there are a few more as well So don't act like Andrews had a bunch of older kids out there last year. To do so would be dishonest and asinine.
Wilson,
Right, the age of an 8th grader at the beginning of the school year. Thanks for proving my point and for putting the highest number you can count to in your profile name.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. There were three, listen carefully so you don't sound stupid later, three 15 year olds. That's it, no "bunch" and not a single "16 year old". And to be fair, most years every team has one or two or a few that has been held back. Both Rumfelt kids are sophmores by age and are 15. I would wager there are a few more as well So don't act like Andrews had a bunch of older kids out there last year. To do so would be dishonest and asinine.
Doesn't matter one way or the other, .500 at best in high school.

Wilson,

Right, the age of an 8th grader at the beginning of the school year. Thanks for proving my point and for putting the highest number you can count to in your profile name.
No grey goose you said he was 15 or 16 years old, he is barely 13 in the 7th grade

No grey goose you said he was 15 or 16 years old, he is barely 13 in the 7th grade
Ok moron, I said that about last years Andrews team. But yes, when your boy is a 9th grader, he will be solidly 15 going on 16. Go back and have your Mom read the post to you so that you won't be confused.

I noticed late in tha 4th tha changes, not tha whole half tho!!! Who cares I guess unz put tha beat down on us!!

Ok moron, I said that about last years Andrews team. But yes, when your boy is a 9th grader, he will be solidly 15 going on 16. Go back and have your Mom read the post to you so that you won't be confused.
Your right goosey, in the 9th grade he will be 15 just like all the other 9th graders

Reactions: CatDad312
It really doesn’t matter . I’m sure every school in the conference has kids who were held back at some time through the last several years whether it be for basketball or football etc. I personally don’t like it but that’s my opinion. I’ve never seen anything really positive come out of it other than a good high school career

I'm curious to hear about the games? Did Swain completely dominate the cats? Did Martin move the ball any? Did Cherokee have any offense at all?

It really doesn’t matter . I’m sure every school in the conference has kids who were held back at some time through the last several years whether it be for basketball or football etc. I personally don’t like it but that’s my opinion. I’ve never seen anything really positive come out of it other than a good high school career

There is a lot out there on how the oldest kids in a class tend to excel at higher rates, but at the end of the day you are still stuck with the genetic limitations you have. You could hold a short, stumpy, slow kid back as much as you want and it won't do much good, while Brad Daugherty entered UNC at 16 and was a star. Holding a kid back may give an edge to two kids who are close but it can't work magic. Ultimately though, I don't particularly care for my tax dollars going to pay for an extra year of school for a kid who doesn't need it academically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_age_effect

Last edited:
I'm curious to hear about the games? Did Swain completely dominate the cats? Did Martin move the ball any? Did Cherokee have any offense at all?
Our line has a lot of work to do that's for sure, and that's both sides of tha ball!! Everyone knows tha skilled position is just as good as there line!! I think they came out 2nd half and done better but that was against there 4th string I guess!! Tha kicker on there team will be all conference, he's really good!! He attempted like a 40 somethin yarder and just barely missed!! Winner outta Murphy and swain will be tha champs!! Imo!!

Reactions: Swaindad40
That is very impressive for a kicker at that level. Murphy can't look past Robbinsville. The dogs had a lot of room for improvement after that first game and I think they will improve. I've never really seen teams take their foot off the gas only up by 21 but who knows. The Dogs have Robbinsville next week at the hill. I expect the knights defense to be stingy but this Murphy offense can score points. Should be a good one.

I would be surprised if Andrews had 100 yards of total offense. They did have one good kick return to Swain 35yard line but could not move the ball.

1)Swain... 2)Murphy... 3)Robbinsville... 4) Andrews... 5)Cherokee... 6)Hayesville... 7) Rosman

I agree that every school has them. My point was just that you have to compare them to their real developmental age, not their class year. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, even at Murphy, "he's just a freshman!". Yes, he's a freshman, but he's 16 years old.

He will more than likely be on the varsity team in the 9th grade, my mom didn't go to school long enough to learn how to read.

I agree that every school has them. My point was just that you have to compare them to their real developmental age, not their class year. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, even at Murphy, "he's just a freshman!". Yes, he's a freshman, but he's 16 years old.
You started this whole "held back" kids are phenoms discussion, but what you didn't realize is the kid everyone was talking about is only 13, not some 16 year old freshman. You are the moron

I got a idea, How about instead of numbers on their jerseys lets put their birthday. I think it would work good on JV's. Give them a number when they move to varsity.

Reactions: rville20
I agree that every school has them. My point was just that you have to compare them to Yes, he's a freshman, but he's 16 years old.
kids that are held back dont turn 16 as freshman during football season or they would be ineligible as seniors I think. I know Deion Johnson and Seth Curtis were held back as little kids and neither one turned 19 until after sports seasons were over. I know Ibrahim Hall in the early 00's had to move to Alabama to keep playing football because he was going to be to old during football season.

Last edited:
kids that are held back dont turn 16 as freshman during football season or they would be ineligible as seniors I think. I know Deion Johnson and Serh Curtis were held back as little kids and neither one turned 19 until after sports seasons were over.
Actually as long as their birthday is after August 31 they could!

Reactions: golfwang8
Actually as long as their birthday is after August 31 they could!
thanks did not know that. So a kid could turn 19 on September 1st as a senior and still play football? There are some kids that are just turning 17 when schools starts there senior year so thats a little messed up. I know Byron Roberts that played for Murphy a couple of years ago turned 17 in October of his senior year, so he could have played 2 more years had he been held back? That's crazy because he was on varsity as a freshman at 13 before he quit that year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT