ADVERTISEMENT

1A SMC GIRLS

BravesGWY

Jan 5, 2015
after a few games what's everyone's thoughts

Cherokee looked dominate against a team that beat Andrews if I remember correctly. Very young but dang fun to watch. Looks like could be another big year for the lady braves. Great thing is they are deep and fast

Robbinsville seems everyone counted them out but they looking solid with a big win at swain

Murphy supposed to be good but no games to see

Swain didn't see them losing to robbinsville

Andrews seemed everyone thought they be high up but a couple of bad losses seem to calm the expectations

6-7not sure Hayesville returns a lot not sure anout rosman

What you think ?

I'll be surprised if anyone beats the Lady Braves, except maybe a much larger school in the Christmas tournaments!

The Lady Braves pipeline seems to be deep too. Lots of younger girls very good also!!

Andrews very jittery in 1st game. 2 Seniors and a lot of playing time for 2 freshman. Poor shooting and foul trouble on 3 starters. I hope I can write that game off as 1st game jitters. 2nd game we won over a very improved Hayesville team but we still looked sluggish in the first half but finally woke up and played better in the 2nd half. We were without one of our two seniors for the whole game. She was missed sorely especially on offense. I'm disappointed but hope we improve as the season goes on like we did last year. We were able to knock off a high ranked Lincoln Charter in the 1st round and gave up a 1 point lead to East Wilkes with 30 seconds left in the game in the 2nd round. Who knows what will happen this season for the Wildcats
I still think it will be Cherokee & Murphy at the top and with Robbinsville winning over Swain already who knows which team will finish 3 rd place. To early to tell but that's why you play the game

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
after a few games what's everyone's thoughts

Cherokee looked dominate against a team that beat Andrews if I remember correctly. Very young but dang fun to watch. Looks like could be another big year for the lady braves. Great thing is they are deep and fast

Robbinsville seems everyone counted them out but they looking solid with a big win at swain

Murphy supposed to be good but no games to see

Swain didn't see them losing to robbinsville

Andrews seemed everyone thought they be high up but a couple of bad losses seem to calm the expectations

6-7not sure Hayesville returns a lot not sure anout rosman

What you think ?
Not that it matters but 1 win 1 loss so far this season for the Wildcats. Lol

All I can say about the very young Lady Cats is disappointment. I knew they would not win a conference championship but I really thought a 3rd place finish was very possible. Unless they rally the troops we will end up next to last in front of Rosman

I also thought they would be tougher than they have been. I knew they had a lot of underclassmen, but thought that since many of them played varsity as 9th and10th graders last year, that experience would offset their youth. Ultimately, their center has been as good as advertised, but I figured some of the guards who were role players as freshmen/sophomores last year would break out and complement her and balance their scoring attack, and it just hasn't happened. But the season isn't over and young teams sometimes come on late, so don't give up Wildcat.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I also thought they would be tougher than they have been. I knew they had a lot of underclassmen, but thought that since many of them played varsity as 9th and10th graders last year, that experience would offset their youth. Ultimately, their center has been as good as advertised, but I figured some of the guards who were role players as freshmen/sophomores last year would break out and complement her and balance their scoring attack, and it just hasn't happened. But the season isn't over and young teams sometimes come on late, so don't give up Wildcat.
Thanks, i'm really down. My daughter is the center and she is a senior. I wanted to see them go a little farther than last year. Maybe they will gel before the playoffs.

Thanks, i'm really down. My daughter is the center and she is a senior. I wanted to see them go a little farther than last year. Maybe they will gel before the playoffs.

Looks like your Cats beat a team by 30 tonight that they lost to earlier, so maybe they are getting on the right track. I wouldn't lose hope, Andrews is still .500 in the league, and it seems like Cherokee and Murphy are in another class from the rest of the league and Rosman may not win a league game, but everything in between is wide open at this point.

Last edited:
Looks like your Cats beat a team by 30 tonight that they lost to earlier, so maybe they are getting on the right track. I wouldn't lose hope, Andrews is still .500 in the league, and it seems like Cherokee and Murphy are in another class from the rest of the league and Rosman may not win a league game, but everything in between is wide open at this point.
the first game blew my mind but we also had 3 starters fouled out that night. Our starters played half a quarter each quarter last night but we still have a way to go. We need a signature win over one of the middle of the pack teams to build confidence. Cherokee & Murphy are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone. It will be interesting to see who will win that game. Cherokee with speed, constant pressure and great passing against Murphy with 3 ladies 6'0 and A quality outside shooter. May I add that the conference as a whole is made up of a lot of underclassmen. Very few seniors on each team. I'm going to pick Cherokee because of their quality programs over the past many years and I believe those players play travel ball every year. Their freshman & sophomores come in playing like seniors. We will see what unfolds

I would say Cherokee is the favorite with their track record and proven success. But I wouldn't be surprised if the two teams split the home and home.

Cherokee has the advantage when it comes to guard play but Murphy has the post advantage. In high school ball especially, guard play usually wins out, so Cherokee should be favored. But Murphy probably has the most talented overall player in Clapsaddle, who is a guard and only a sophomore, so Murphy will be in the mix the next couple of years.

Last edited:
I don't think you can say that pooh king isn't the most talented player. Player of the year and can do about anything she wants. It should be a great one against Murphy and their size haven't seen them play but I know the lady Braves are playing at a high level right now.

I have seen both teams play. I think you be hard pressed making an argument that there are any better all around players than king. The way she sees the floor is unreal. Also teesateskie is best shooter ive seen all year. 23 for murphy is solid and both 15 and 25 have great size. But i dont think they can play with cherokees speed and multiple weapons. I was very impressed with cherokee and the discipline they have as a team.

I have seen both teams play. I think you be hard pressed making an argument that there are any better all around players than king. The way she sees the floor is unreal. Also teesateskie is best shooter ive seen all year. 23 for murphy is solid and both 15 and 25 have great size. But i dont think they can play with cherokees speed and multiple weapons. I was very impressed with cherokee and the discipline they have as a team.
I agree, and also I think Cherokee's bench is stronger. The flow of the game does not change when the 2nd 5 come in. They still have speed, pressure and very good passing even with the 2nd 5 players. Will be interesting to see

A little overzealous on my part to say Clapsaddle is better right now, but again she is only a sophomore. 19 points, 4 assists, 4 rebounds and 3 steals a game for a 10th grader on a top 10 team is nothing to sneeze at. I think calling her simply "solid" is a disservice to her talent.

The bottomline is guard play wins out more times than not in high school and the lady Braves are clearly superior in that area and as such should be favored over Murphy. I think the lady 'Dogs might have a chance to steal one at home but on the road and during the conference tourney I fully expect Cherokee to win.

Wow definitely big time numbers. I haven't seen them play yet as this seems the slowest conference season in history. Lady braves will really struggle with Murphy size as I hear they are huge hopefully have a great shooting night so rebounds won't matter. Anyway looking forward to just watching games.

Something we all need to keep in mind about scoring is a lot of the top players in the conference don't always get a lot of minutes when they are blowing another team out. It doesn't show how many minutes players get a game. It really drags a avg down when you don't play a half a game

Robbinsville held andrews best player to 5 points in a win this week.

Robbinsville held andrews best player to 5 points in a win this week.
lol. That had to be the ugliest game I have ever watched on a high school level. Both teams were pitiful. Scoring in the 20's after 3 qtrs is pitiful and both teams has had games that finished in the 20's. BK it's going to be a very very short season for both our teams. Both teams still have to play Cherokee & Murphy. It's time to put our big boy pants on and take it like a man when we lose.

We weren't expected to be that good this season anyhow.
In about 2 or 3 season we will put the SMC on lock down. At least I got that to look forward to.

In about 2 or 3 season we will put the SMC on lock down. At least I got that to look forward to.
Yeah because your record for this year is shocking after watching them play. I can't believe that team beat some of the ones they did. When Hayesville beat you 29 to 27 I knew something wasn't right. And we lost our opener to Highlands by 3 then beat them by 30 later. Its shocking as our girls were suppose to be a little better this year. But like I said the records are deceiving and we both have to play Murphy & Cherokee. I can't believe Robbinsville beat SWAIN after watching them and having played both. It will be a early exit in playoffs and SMC Tournament for both teams

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$

I do believe that lockdown will run through Cherokee!!!

We destroyed you both times. Like I said in 3 or 4 years the lock down will begin. Feeder schools will help the rest of the conference but it won't be enough.

You destroyed who both times? Our middle school blew a 17 pt lead on robbinsville and lost missed a last second shot to win the other day. Please don't say you are unbeatable. Cherokee will be fine as they don't wait for groups the regroup every year. You will see soon enough Bk

44-40 robbinsville.
Braves did have a big lead which is even more impressive. #5peat

We have 2 6th graders on the team. Next year we should be better.

BK either lives in the past or the future. I like to live in the PRESENT!!

You forget to tell people that you don't play youth league with cherokee so you can't say 70 in a row counts for the future. Cherokee dominates their league and both games were close not to mention the varsity team is mostly freshman and Soph already dominating at high school level.

Reactions: Oldbravesfan
Anyone heard the results of the middle school SMC tourney in Bryson City Saturday night?

Semifinals in boys today are Murphy v. Hayesville and Andrews v. Towns (GA)...not sure about the girls.

Hayesville and Andrews both have very good groups coming in to the high school next year if they continue developing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT