ADVERTISEMENT

1A SMC - Big week

They’re also very up and down. Beat a good Franklin team, but lost to them by 30, too. Played Bishop McGuinness tough but lost to Swain. Guess it depends which Cherokee team shows up. Is Andrews full strength?

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I watched them play Robbinsville last night and although Robbinsville is sloppy, Cherokee should have won by 50+

We gave up 20 points on fast breaks not having anyone back and the Braves were sending 2 players down court. Our top scorer got 2 early fouls but came out after halftime on fire. Once we corrected that it was no contest. I think the 10 day layoff hurt us in 1st half. We played Wildcat basketball in 2nd half putting up 52 points. One game at a time and another tough game coming up Friday at Hayesville

Last edited:
Last night it was basically a tale of two halves, and I think a lot of that was that the game was a really loosely-called wild and physical game in the first half (about the only fouls that were called were the ones that got Andrews into the foul trouble Wildcat10fan mentioned), then it was called a lot tighter in the second half. The way it was called in the first half also benefited Cherokee's strategy for holding Ellis in check, in that they were able to deny him very tightly, push him off spots, etc. Didn't work the same when he was going to the free throw line over and over in the second half. Cherokee also didn't really have an answer for T. Holloway's athleticism attacking the basket--looks like he ended up with 36. He's always been very athletic, but he's really improved his ability to finish this year. I was pretty impressed with the sophomore guards for Cherokee--#4 especially hit some big shots. The Braves had trouble finishing around the rim all night, and it could have been a different game otherwise. On a side note, since there's a lot of talk on here about the guys who score a lot of points for Andrews, I just want to add that #12 from Andrews might be the best glue guy in the conference--he rebounds better than about anybody under 6 feet you'll find and he absolutely laid out a couple of people on screens last night.

Last edited:
Now much to say two really good teams we will find out on Friday which is better at this moment in time

If we win tomorrow night I will be on here bragging !! If we lose you want hear from me till next week. Lol
In all seriousness these two young teams have had quite a few battles from Middle School on up. Both top notch teams and should be another great game.

Reactions: GreyGod623
I would say if Hayesville can keep it to single digits coming into the 4th quarter they win because they will go to McTaggart who has become unstoppable late in games.

I’m gonna say Andrews by 10. Think their guard play is better and I think this is the best team Hayesville has seen yet. Cherokee gave Andrews a fight until halftime but couldn’t keep it close and ended up losing by 21.

I’m gonna say Andrews by 10. Think their guard play is better and I think this is the best team Hayesville has seen yet.

I think they will each be the best team the other has seen (although Franklin is pretty good). Point guard matchup will be great. Don’t know if Andrews has seen a really good post player yet and McTaggart has been almost unguardable when I’ve seen him this year—he will need to keep the ball high (lots of quick hands digging for Andrews) and stay out of foul trouble (which could be tough if Andrews attacks the rim as well as they did Tuesday), but could have a big night. Wildcat10fan pointed out that these groups have had a lot of great battles going back to middle school, but Hayesville won when these groups played in the middle school championship, and they won last year with the conference title on the line, so if I had to make a pick I guess I’d pick Hayesville, especially at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13bc9fc
I could point out a lot of reasons Andrews should win. I’ve watched Hayesville play in the Battle of the States and I could point out reasons from those games especially head to head against Towns County but I won’t. Both teams and coaches know each other well and it being on Hayesville home court is a advantage. Sometimes young athletes can get to pumped up and not play their game. Sometimes foul trouble can change a game. Hayesville has been the winner against Andrews for years going back to Middle School so to be the man you have to beat the man ! Andrews wins by 25

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Hayesville finally clicked Tuesday night and played great! They have been hot and cold all year, the Towns game at battle of the states was a nightmare. Towns scored 60% of their points from the line, they had one kid make more free throws than Hayesville shot the whole game. That is a big rivalry game for both schools and both games were exciting to watch. Best of luck to both teams tonight!!

Hayesville finally clicked Tuesday night and played great! They have been hot and cold all year, the Towns game at battle of the states was a nightmare. Towns scored 60% of their points from the line, they had one kid make more free throws than Hayesville shot the whole game. That is a big rivalry game for both schools and both games were exciting to watch. Best of luck to both teams tonight!!
Best of luck to both teams. I just like to talk a little smack before a big game.

Why in the world would any team put there cheerleaders on the visitors side ? Probably used up 30 seats for the visitors. Why not put them courtside or maybe in place of the big money donors. Lol

Can’t really sit court side at Hayesville’s pit—put chairs on the sideline and the home side can’t see them—and didn’t want to give up home side seats, I guess

Last edited:
Hayesville 27
Andrews 23
Halftime
Hayesville has taken Wildcats totally out of their game plus having us in foul trouble

Well I'll take my big dose of crow well done! Thought we'd take this one
No sense in eating crow two great teams play a heck of a ballgame. I know a lot of the Andrews kids and they are great kids! Hate either teams had to lose. Looking forward to another great battle at Andrews.

Last edited:
Why in the world would any team put there cheerleaders on the visitors side ? Probably used up 30 seats for the visitors. Why not put them courtside or maybe in place of the big money donors. Lol
The high school did that after we had some problems some visiting fans and our teams. I don’t like it either but I guess they have their reasons

Hated at the end that while Andrews players were class acts and showed great sportsmanship. The coaches and fans acted like complete turds. Listen the referees we're not great but were not horrible I have seen worse. I promise too they do not try to call one way or the other for a specific team. Do they make mistakes yes but sad after a instant classic type game that especially a head coach would act the way he did.

Good game in Hayesville. The difference in the game was fouls shots. Hayesville made theirs down the stretch and Andrews did not. If Andrews would have hit 70% like they have for the past few games, Andrews would have won by 8 or so

Hated at the end that while Andrews players were class acts and showed great sportsmanship. The coaches and fans acted like complete turds. Listen the referees we're not great but were not horrible I have seen worse. I promise too they do not try to call one way or the other for a specific team. Do they make mistakes yes but sad after a instant classic type game that especially a head coach would act the way he did.

A loss isn’t always the worst thing in the world for a team that’s been cruising.
You’re exactly right. I said the same thing. A team is going to have a night like this. As ugly as it was we still could have won. I’m not going to make excuses and on to the next game

Let’s not go there. The Andrews fans feel the same about your Coach and I don’t know what you mean about the fans. You have a bunch of obnoxious kids in a student section who think they are the Duke Crazies and you have the nerve to plant your cheerleaders on the visitors side which is just asking for a bad situation if the wrong people get around them and taking 3 rows of seats from the visitors. Then to top it off your nerdy sounding announcer should be on some AM talk radio show. Lmbo. Having traded blows now the game is over. In a heated battle you know as well as I know things sometimes get chippy in sporting events. It’s not always what we want to see but I’ve seen your coach show his tale plenty of times as well as your fans. The players played the game and a lot of these kids play travel ball together so we will meet again for sure at least one more time and I would bet it will be as intense as this one

Good game in Hayesville. The difference in the game was fouls shots. Hayesville made theirs down the stretch and Andrews did not. If Andrews would have hit 70% like they have for the past few games, Andrews would have won by 8 or so
Hayesville was 7 of 19 from the line.
Andrews was 5 of 15 from the line.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT