ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Basketball

Dec 19, 2019
After viewing the other thread it appears very junky. Any ways I am the FYN clay county reporter, I will keep up with standings and game schedules on this thread. Feel free to make worthwhile comments but let's keep the talking about dunking to a minimum. It has little to do with the result in the games.
Boys
Andrews 6-0 (2-0)
Hayesville 3-1 (2-0)
Murphy 2-1 (1-0)
Cherokee 3-2 (1-1)
Swain 1-3 (1-2)
Rosman 0-7 (0-4)
Robbinsville 0-0

Girls
Murphy 3-0 (2-0)
Hayesville 2-1 (1-0)
Cherokee 5-2 (2-0)
Swain 1-3 (1-2)
Rosman 4-3 (1-3)
Andrews 1-5 (0-2)
Robbinsville 1-0

Schedule Thursday 12/19
Hayesville@Murphy
Towns Co.@Andrews
Cherokee @Heritage
Rosman@mitchell
Robbinsville@smoky mtn

Tonight has several interesting games on the boys side. Andrews has their first opponent with a winning record. Rivalry game for Hayesville-Murphy that should tell a lot about whether Murphy will be the type of team from the regular season last year or from the conference tourney last year. First look at what Robbinsville has this year...Smoky looks beatable but with three days of practice for a lot of the team it might be tough.

On the girls side, Robbinsville-Smoky is probably the game of the night. Black Knights already showed they'll be tough in beating Rabun Gap but they haven't played in a month, while Smoky is sitting at 5-1.

I wasn't there but it sounds like game changed after Dorsey needlessly fouled out with the tech in the 4th. Abling rolling his ankle not long after was the nail in the coffin.

I really hope Abling is ok, if he's out for any length of time it will hurt Murphy bad and it's a shame because 'Dogs have a competitive squad this season it seems.

Robbinsville boys varsity and jvs didnt look terrible considering the majority of their players just finished football Saturday, definitely have potential but got some work to do. Varsity girls are very impressive.

The Dorsey foul/technical foul was a 5-pt trip down the court which put Hayesville up. Turned the tide. Both the foul and technical were justified.

Reactions: 13bc9fc and MHS-88
After viewing the other thread it appears very junky. Any ways I am the FYN clay county reporter, I will keep up with standings and game schedules on this thread. Feel free to make worthwhile comments but let's keep the talking about dunking to a minimum. It has little to do with the result in the games.
Boys
Andrews 6-0 (2-0)
Hayesville 3-1 (2-0)
Murphy 2-1 (1-0)
Cherokee 3-2 (1-1)
Swain 1-3 (1-2)
Rosman 0-7 (0-4)
Robbinsville 0-0

Girls
Murphy 3-0 (2-0)
Hayesville 2-1 (1-0)
Cherokee 5-2 (2-0)
Swain 1-3 (1-2)
Rosman 4-3 (1-3)
Andrews 1-5 (0-2)
Robbinsville 1-0

Schedule Thursday 12/19
Hayesville@Murphy
Towns Co.@Andrews
Cherokee @Heritage
Rosman@mitchell
Robbinsville@smoky mtn

Lesson #1 as a new member. If posters wanna talk about dunking, they can. As far as the other thread being "junky", your wrong. You have a lot to learn...... Thats the great thing about preps, we can make junky threads, talk junk, and take junk. Appreciate you wanting to keep up with the conf, but your comments came off a bit arrogant. I do hope my comments were "worthwhile"

I really thought the tide turned when Murphys head coach got T'ed up at a terrible time. Their was about 2:30 left in the game Hayesville up 4 and Hayesvilles big guy has a clean block out of bounds. Murphys coach gets a technical and with Hayesville making two FT's and getting the ball that was a huge swing. It went from Murphy down 4 with the ball to Murphy down 6 without the ball. Inexperience showed you absolutely cant get a tech their really hurt his team.

Hope Appling is ok, the injury looked bad as he did not put any weight on it as he was helped off. Overall a fun game as the crowd was into the game for both sides.

Reactions: MHS-88 and 13bc9fc
I really thought the tide turned when Murphys head coach got T'ed up at a terrible time. Their was about 2:30 left in the game Hayesville up 4 and Hayesvilles big guy has a clean block out of bounds. Murphys coach gets a technical and with Hayesville making two FT's and getting the ball that was a huge swing. It went from Murphy down 4 with the ball to Murphy down 6 without the ball. Inexperience showed you absolutely cant get a tech their really hurt his team.
The "T" was on him, but I think it was a case of mistaken identity. Someone in the student section yelled at the ref (don't know what) and they thought it was Coach Laney. That's why he asked them several times if it was on HIM.

The "T" was on him, but I think it was a case of mistaken identity. Someone in the student section yelled at the ref (don't know what) and they thought it was Coach Laney. That's why he asked them several times if it was on HIM.
Not that it couldn’t ever happen in a heated battle but that doesn’t sound like Eric. I’ve not seen him lose his cool in his short stint as a head coach. He has always been a quit reserved man what little bit I was around him. Sort of like Coach Solesbee was like in Andrews

Not that it couldn’t ever happen in a heated battle but that doesn’t sound like Eric. I’ve not seen him lose his cool in his short stint as a head coach. He has always been a quit reserved man what little bit I was around him. Sort of like Coach Solesbee was like in Andrews

It's the quiet ones you have to look out for. JK.

So just curious. What are people’s thoughts on the Andrews and Hayesville coming up in a couple weeks? Who wins?

So just curious. What are people’s thoughts on the Andrews and Hayesville coming up in a couple weeks? Who wins?
I think Andrews wins handily. It's early in the season, but the Jackets don't look as fluid as last year. The size Andrews has added since last year will help them on the boards and their guards in my opinion are overall better. High scoring affair, maybe 86-78 Andrews.

Reactions: WickedStix9
Highlands 57 Murphy 53- Dogs fell apart last min of game. Down 55-53 had 2 huge turnovers in last 20 sec to eliminate any chance of a tie or win. This game was on the nfhs network.

Girls
Hayesville 66 Robbinsville 60 in OT
Franklin 68 Swain 48
Hiawassee Dam 44 Towns Co 33

Boys
Hayesville 66 Robbinsville 51
Highlands 57 Murphy 53
Franklin 84 Swain 40
Towns Co 69 Hiawassee Dam 49

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Christmas tourneys up next.

Murphy and Hayesville will be at Towns Co. Battle of the States. Murphy plays Lumpkin Co (GA) in the first round, Hayesville boys play Polk (TN) and girls play Hokes Bluff (AL). On the boys side, Walhalla (SC) looks like the toughest competition—4A and currently undefeated.

Swain will host Andrews, Brevard, and HD in a 4 team tourney. Don’t see anyone beating the Andrews boys in that, and Brevard will be their only shot this year to get a win over a larger class school, I believe.

Cherokee also hosting I think a 4 team tourney. They open it with defending champ Bishop McGuinness on the boys side, which should be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Christmas tourneys up next.

Murphy and Hayesville will be at Towns Co. Battle of the States. Murphy plays Lumpkin Co (GA) in the first round, Hayesville boys play Polk (TN) and girls play Hokes Bluff (AL). On the boys side, Walhalla (SC) looks like the toughest competition—4A and currently undefeated.

Swain will host Andrews, Brevard, and HD in a 4 team tourney. Don’t see anyone hanging with the Andrews boys in that.

Cherokee also hosting I think a 4 team tourney. They open it with defending champ Bishop McGuinness on the boys side, which should be interesting.
I wish I could be at all these games lol

Reactions: MHS-88
Murphy boys will be in touble without Abling, lost to a Highlands team last night that they would've beat fairly easily with Abling

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT