ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeper teams

easternNCfan41

Jun 29, 2020
What’s some sleeper teams that is not ranked that y’all think might can win a playoff game or two this year?

Andrew's is who came to my mind as well. Saw them play Hayesville last Oct. Loaded with raw talent. Overshadowed in the SMC by Murphy & Robbinsville. And they're 1A, around 225 kids I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
207 last yr.
They beat Robbinsville when they was Junior High(7th,8th,9th).

True, however, Nobody should ever try and guage the Robbinsville jv teams if they are getting beat up on. This years State Championship team was 4-3 on jvs
..The varsity staff turns the boys into different animals..The jv teams moving up to varsity could and should be so much better.
Andrews, Hayesville come to mind as sleepers..Thomas Jefferson and WSP are starting to worry me also.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I wouldn’t call TJ a sleeper any more, after they went to the regional final last year. Especially since they bring back a 4-star recruit WR and his QB.

I agree that Andrews is the sleeper. Really junior heavy last year with undefeated JV team moving up.

True, however, Nobody should ever try and guage the Robbinsville jv teams if they are getting beat up on. This years State Championship team was 4-3 on jvs
..The varsity staff turns the boys into different animals..The jv teams moving up to varsity could and should be so much.
Andrews, Hayesville come to mind as sleepers..Thomas Jefferson and WSP are starting to worry me also.

If WSP can come up with some defense, look out. They will be a big threat come playoff time if that happens.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
I wouldn’t call TJ a sleeper any more, after they went to the regional final last year. Especially since they bring back a 4-star recruit WR and his QB.

I agree that Andrews is the sleeper. Really junior heavy last year with undefeated JV team moving up.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the QB from TJ transfer?

Agree on Andrews they are do for a nice spell.. it seems like it happens every 10 years for them. Ironic part is the last time they were super good was in 2011 so it's def their time. Hope they can make a run and stay stable. Hayesville's very due for a run they haven't been great since when Setzer was there.

Good call on WSP.. if they can keep the Clemson kid there for the season and they can keep the kids interested and healthy they will be a force this year potentially. Their D and Lineplay's gotta keep getting better and their HC needs to quit doing dumb moves (their lost to South Stokes never shoulda happened last year.) If they can make it deep one year they will become a constant.

South Stokes I think could make it a round or two if they stay small 1A. They have Coach Diamont there who always get the kids prepped right and I really like that Carrick kid they got; he will be a force this year as their mobile QB. They need to improve their depth and lineplay.. they can't stay at just barely 20 kids to make a serious run but i gotta good feeling for them. It would be great to see Dave get a serious crack at a title game for once one day before he quits.

Agree on Andrews they are do for a nice spell.. it seems like it happens every 10 years for them. Ironic part is the last time they were super good was in 2011 so it's def their time. Hope they can make a run and stay stable. Hayesville's very due for a run they haven't been great since when Setzer was there.

Good call on WSP.. if they can keep the Clemson kid there for the season and they can keep the kids interested and healthy they will be a force this year potentially. Their D and Lineplay's gotta keep getting better and their HC needs to quit doing dumb moves (their lost to South Stokes never shoulda happened last year.) If they can make it deep one year they will become a constant.

South Stokes I think could make it a round or two if they stay small 1A. They have Coach Diamont there who always get the kids prepped right and I really like that Carrick kid they got; he will be a force this year as their mobile QB. They need to improve their depth and lineplay.. they can't stay at just barely 20 kids to make a serious run but i gotta good feeling for them. It would be great to see Dave get a serious crack at a title game for once one day before he quits.

Mount Airy could be in for a dog fight for 2nd place this year with South and Prep.

Ofcouse he went through the lottery

Funny how TO lost their QB and picked one up through the lottery.
Another lucky athlete. Lmao

Incredibly funny how those athletes get through the lottery isn't it? Like when Lincoln Charter gets all those great tennis and basketball players.

I think charter schools have more power to do things than they let on.

Reactions: UNC91 and BK13T-$
Yes sir, I agree 100%

Doesn't matter anyway. Their style of football will come up short in the end.
TJ run game was about like Northampton's run game. Non existent

Yes sir, I agree 100%

Doesn't matter anyway. Their style of football will come up short in the end.
TJ run game was about like Northampton's run game. Non existent

A solid running game should be the foundation for any team. The air raid doesn't work in college, is non existant in the NFL, no clue why high schools think they can run it with 30 kids.

People are talking about Andrews, let's not forget Hayesville beat them last year. Hayesville brings back the majority of their team. As well bring back the best receiving threat in the conference who was injured all of last year.

People are talking about Andrews, let's not forget Hayesville beat them last year. Hayesville brings back the majority of their team. As well bring back the best receiving threat in the conference who was injured all of last year.
#1 Andrews has way more help arriving from the JV ranks than Hayesville does. #2 Last I heard Andrews has the O'Dell boy playing this season, would be a big boost to their line. #3 Andrews has Hayesville at home (of course without fans I'm not sure how much that would matter).

My honest opinion is that if Rattler and Christenson had stayed at Andrews, then Andrews would've been a real threat to Murphy and Robbinsville in the conference this year. The only thing they would be missing is a natural QB.

Last edited:
#1 Andrews has way more help arriving from the JV ranks than Hayesville does. #2 Andrews has the O'Dell boy playing this season, should be a big boost to their line. #3 Andrews has Hayesville at home (of course without fans I'm not sure how much that will matter).

My honest opinion is that if Rattler and Christenson had stayed at Andrews, then Andrews would've been a real threat to Murphy and Robbinsville in the conference this year. The only thing they would be missing is a natural QB.
Hayesville did pull up the two best players from their JV squad (Gillis and Lunsford) both were impact players on the varsity! I think it will be a great game, if it ever gets to happen, between the two.

Reactions: BK13T-$

I wouldn't give Setzer that much credit lol make no mistake about it. Setzer was listed the head coach but Dee Walsh ran the team

Hayesville did pull up the two best players from their JV squad (Gillis and Lunsford) both were impact players on the varsity!
Thats a fair point, with that said Martin and Weaver would've had big impacts on varsity had they been pulled up too. Either way there's no doubt Andrews has the stronger sophomore class top to bottom though.

Most are also forgetting Hayesville gets back the best receiving threat in the conference in McTaggart.

Reactions: Smctrain
Andrews and Hayesville should be close in terms of skill people: Andrews will have Holloway, Wilson, Martin, Gillespie and Weaver. Haynesville will have H McClure, B McClure, McTaggart, Gillis and Lunsford. I would give Hayesville the slight edge overall. McTaggart is the difference, Andrews will have very good speed at receiver but they nor anyone else will have a target like McTaggart.

Up front and defensively I give Andrews the edge. Andrews will be the more complete team in my opinion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT