ADVERTISEMENT

Slash's Week 6 Area Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
East Surry at Reidsville

Battle of the century time. Props to East for scheduling this one, not many schools would but they are taking it head on. I think this matchup will be quite a fun watch. Both teams are quite good at what they do, East plays solid team Football without many weaklinks while they have 2 kids who get all the hype, while Reidsville thrives in a sucessfull system full of athletes left to right. This will be East's best challenge until the playoffs as besides Mount Airy and WS Prep they won't face
a team as loaded with athletes until late in the playoffs if they do what they need to do. East's been more challenged the past 2 games than in the first 3 so they won't be 100% over confident heading into the game but the question is Reidsville? Hard to say. This very well could be a game that comes down to has the ball last.. and I'm not sure who to pick here.

Surry Central at West Stokes

Despite their record Central's the best they have been in a couple of years thanks to a decent sized senior group and their sophomore class. However I see West's athletes in the skill spots being too much to handle for the Golden Eagles. The line will be where the game's determined, if Central can hold up there better it could be a long night but if West pushes them around it will be an solid win for West. I think the speed will just be much here.

Elkin at Starmount

Elkin's 3-1 despite not playing 100% perfect while Starmount's the same but have had more closer games so something's gotta happen here. Starmount's a little more experienced in some spots while Elkin's younger but very talented. When push comes to shove I trust Starmount's experience more than Elkin's talent but since it's a rivalry you can through traditonal stuff out the window and expect a thriller. But I'm putting my trust in for the Rams here. They played really gritty vs the Bush last week and I think that will come in handy here as that's what you need to beat this Elkin team.

Forbush at Atkins

Forbush is off a break while Atkins was embarrassed by Bishop last week as they were unable to use their athletes to score early and they allowed Bishop to hang around, enough to let them score late and win. Atkins's shutout streak is continuing at now 3 out of 4 games.. and it doesn't look very good this week as they host Forbush for homecoming. Forbush is a very physical but young squad however they played Starmount very hard in the 2nd half 2 weeks back and are quite upset and wanting a re-do. Atkins will be the perfect opportunity for that, and maybe a chance for another shutout on Atkins's homecoming.

North Stokes at Hobbton

The Vikings had a rough game last week as Patrick came out of the locker room ready to play and dominated the 2nd half to a comeback win. NS is reeling now after 2 tough losses and it won't get any easier as they have a long drive to a much improved Hobbton team. Hobbton's struggled quite a bit the past few years but they turned things around to a 5-6 record last year and will more than likely get win 5 this week. They are very athletic and big, and I see them being a ton for NS to handle.

East Wilkes at North Wilkes

East's very banged up after a very hard non conference slate where they had more dud's than triumphs but they fought hard in every game along the way. North meanwhile had a near perfect slate but were embarrassed quite handily by Avery two weeks back and badly wants redemption for it. This game's always been a hard one for North to win, Adkins always mostly had Chipman's number and Wilmoth had a nice win last year, Chipman badly wants to win this game (his one win over East was in 2013,) and I think he will get it. East's offense is very banged up and with their depth it's hard to overcome. If East is more healthy than before then I see them doing better but as of right now I feel confident in picking NW, they are due a win.

West Wilkes at Wilkes Central

West fought hard to force an OT last week vs a better team in Grayson but let it slip as they fell apart in OT. The new HC is doing a solid job with them, it's just gonna take a nice while before it shows as their talent level is down and they are young in quite a few spots. It will hurt them this week as they open conference vs a surging WC team who is on the rise after a very hard non conference slate but are battle tested and very talented. WC needs a boost into conference and I expect it to happen here, it could be quite ugly for West as a result.

Ashe at Alleghany

Ashe is back fresh off a bye and a nice shutout win. Alleghany meanwhile had a rough non conference slate but are rested and ready to play. Alleghany has a hard time stopping the pass but the run's a much better story so they are gonna have to get better on the former to get better at the latter, easier said than done. I think Ashe takes it here, they will be a little more experienced and have the better athletes. Alleghany needs to win on the line which is possible and force Ashe to run which they can stop.

Carver at NF

Oh boy this game.. both teams are quite bad so it's gonna be a battle of who wants to be less sucky. On paper it looks like Carver will be the favorite as they have 2 wins already but both of those wins are over 2 awful teams in Madison and South Davidson, the latter of which had Carver beat but couldn't seal it. NF meanwhile has only scored in 2 games and has given up a lot of points.. but they have played hard in every game minus the first one. I wouldn't be 100% surprised if NF breaks the losing streak here but I also wouldn't be surprised if Carver runs away with it too. This is a rivalry game after all and has always been a good one.. hard to pick a winner here.

WS Prep at Cummings

Prep is now in the hard part of their schedule after a solid but not great win over the Greensboro Panthers last week. This week they face a very athletic but down Cummings squad who has a very difficult schedule where they have taken it on the chin all year. They however have had some good offensive outings including dropping 30+ points on Eastern Alamance so they aren't no
dud team, just have a ridiclous schedule. Prep is their easiest non conference foe, they scheduled this one to get a W before conference starts.. and I think they will do so. They are the most complete team Prep has played so far and can match them with athletes and on the line. Prep's defense is what needs to be tested and improved.. they gave up too many points vs EW and especially versus GP last week, if you give 20 up vs them you are in rough shape. Prep I see getting knocked to earth this week barring a close win.

Bishop at Bartlett Yancy

Bishop managed to get their W last week with a very hard fought win over Atkins in the final few minutes as they litterally scored their last TD with a few minutes to go, and Atkins couldn't stay close. This week's gonna be much different as they head to Yanceyville to play BY who's literally in the middle of their best ever season. They are currently undefeated as they are 5-0 off a nice win over Kipp Pride and won a thriller vs East Chapel Hill 2 weeks before, and another win here will tie their 1994 season as they won 6 that year. Next week's game will be a big one for the Bucs, as a win over Prep will give them win 7 and their best season ever.. Caswell county will go wild.

Bishop is just in the way here.. it won't be a pretty game for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT