ADVERTISEMENT

Slash's Week 3 Area Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Mount Airy at Elkin

This could be the first real matchup between these 2 in over a decade. MA's offense is a mess while Elkin rode a lucky streak last week to decent win, however when push comes to shove both these teams aren't really 100% known yet. As a result I can't really pick this one. MA has the better athletes while Elkin's line I see being better of the two but it's gonna come down to who has the ball for longer streatches. Elkin loves to take the ball away from people with the run and the option.. if MA forces them to pass then MA has broken their game plan. MA meanwhile needs momentum as their offense is all over the place, they need what help they can get. Last thing MA can do is have a fumble or important turnover because Elkin works by flukes.. one mistake and they get 14 points ahead out of nowhere.

Surry Central at Wilkes Central

Wilkes Central had a very solid performance last week despite a massive numbers difference and athlete difference WC played Alexander Central quite hard. In fact they came out of it with quite a bit of momentum heading into this week's game vs Surry Central. SC meanwhile let a game they dominated slip away as East Wilkes came back with a heroic effort which makes up for their dud from the start. SC meanwhile was humilated as their senior class let one slip. This week both will have a lot to prove vs each other, but when push comes to shove I see WC taking off due to their athletes. SC will need some lucky breaks and ball control to stay in this one.

Chatham Central at North Stokes

North Stokes has quite the momentum right now as they are 2-0 for the first time in ages while CC's had a hard time the past 2 weeks on paper. CC lost a double OT game to Atkins last week due a botched 2 point conversion and will be quite hungry, while the Vikes will be trying to manage the attention and winning streak.. this one could be a thriller due to the even talent.. besides in the QB spot where CC has the advantage. Michael Moore, their QB is one of the best QB's in 1A ball, regardless of school the kid can chunk it all over the place and drives that offense like a fine tuned machine. N Stokes's D will be on the ropes quite a bit.. can they overcome the pressure or will CC roll? I think it will be close but I see Moore carrying the Bears to what they need, unless N Stokes keeps the ball a ton. There's a solid chance of that happening too.

Even if N Stokes loses here there a few more shots at wins on the schedule.. they could very well make the small 1A playoffs this year if they keep this up.

Trinity at South Stokes

South Stokes is on a roll after a very solid start to the season, despite being 1-1 to come from where they were last year to know it's definitely a triumph so far. South let one slip last week at Walkertown after controlling the first half, they just couldn't handle WT's wing but when push came to shove they followed up their opening performance despite the loss. They are now in the more favorable portion of their non conference schedule as they host their annual rival Trinity who is very down and out. They haven't scored in 2 matchups and didn't field a JV team, that program's badly in need of a boost. Trintiy did play 2 good squads so I wouldn't call this one a game for South to overlook.. 2 years ago it went to OT before South pulled it out. South needs to do what they have been doing.. ball controlling people solidly.

South has a solid shot to win the next 2 and arrive at the Elkin game 3-1.

Forbush at East Wilkes

The Bush has had a great start to the season with a shutout and another near shutout.. however they haven't face that impressive of a schedule so far. This weeks game could be more interesting as EW will be coming in at 1-1. Forbush dominated this series at the start of the decade however East took control in 2015 and hasn't lost to the Bush since then. Last year almost changed that as FB played really hard for a half before East got hot and took off like a Cardinal outta hell. This year's game has a lot riding on the outcome: the winner of this game will win the series for the decade as EW has 5-4 lead. A win will give them the 6-4 lead but if not it will be 5-5. Bush has all
the momentum on their side however East is fired up after winning last week so it could go either way.. if EW can hang in or even win this one then they could be in the hunt but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Bishop at West Wilkes

The battle of the area's cellar dwellers this one could be quite the doozy if neither team wants to win it, and I say there's a solid chance of that happening.. Bishop had a much better performance last week after being humiliated by CD in week 1 as they ran for near 500 yards on Bishop. Instead in week 2 they managed to hold CSD off in the 2nd half but they had a dreadful first 2 quarters but managed to run for near 300 yards so there's been momentum on their side. West meanwhile scored on their first drive last week for their only points of the season before falling appart for an embarrassing game.. West is in really bad shape not gonna hide that. I think Bishop's the favorite because they have been more competent on offense but that's like saying I slightly like a grape icee over a peach one.. not saying much. West only really has 2 chances at a win.. and this is one. Yikes.

Walkertown at Alleghany

This is a matchup I have a hard time getting a feel on. Alleghany's much younger than last season however they have talent which should allow them to win a few games. Walkertown meanwhile has 2 wins already but neither were really convincing or spectacular. Vs. Lexington they managed to luck upinto a win very late as Lexington folded, and last week they had a few lucky plays get them points while South ball controlled them a lot of the night. They have still yet to put together a complete game yet, while Alleghany meanwhile won a 7-6 thriller last week over their heated rival Grayson. WT will be a little bit bigger but have the athletes to run away from Alleghany which is why I'm picking them.. I wouldn't be 100% surprised if Alleghany manages to stay in the game if they keep their hands on the ball and match the physicality.

Hibriten at Ashe

Jefferson Academy at Carver

Well it looks like the Jackets have somewhat of an offense this year with Blackburn at RB out of the Wing T. It has shown in the past 2 weeks after being beyond anemic last year, however the defense was missing in action last week as HPA scored at will to a 28 point 1st quarter and never looked back despite Carver scoring 20 to make up for it. It wasn't a fully desirable performance
for Carver who still seeks a statement. However it looks like next week vs an inept South Davidson might do that, this week however they face a small 1A mountain powerhouse in Jefferson Academy who are yearly contenders in small 1A.

Granted their opener was against a dud team this squad is no joke as they have won 10+ games the past few years and love to score a lot of points throwing it around.. it will be a great test for Carver's D which didn't answer the bell last week. TJA also has a huge line with a 390 lb nose guard.. it may be rough sleading for Carver if they aren't ready to play. I think TJA just has both too many horses and too many players in general for Carver to handle.

Hickory Hawks at WS Prep

WSP is freshly rested off a surprisingly one sided win over Asheville School in week 1 and look for a repeat vs a lowly Hickory Hawks team, a home school squad made up of kids from around Hickory. They were decimated by Jefferson Academy last week but they play real hard despite their flaws, they are a much better version of the Greensboro Panthers, who WSP plays in a few weeks. WSP should roll here.. the goal is to stay healthy and be responsible scoring.. their goal should be to get ready for East Wilkes next week which could be quite a good game. It could
either be WSP's coming out party or a failure.

Mount Airy at Elkin
Surry Central at Wilkes Central
Chatham Central at North Stokes
Trinity at South Stokes
Forbush
at East Wilkes
Bishop at West Wilkes
Hibriten at Ashe
Jefferson Academy at Carver
Hickory Hawks at WS Prep

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts