ADVERTISEMENT

Slash's Week 2 Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
MA at East Surry

Game of the year already! Both teams need a good showing for trash talk and momentum purposes and it will be all over the place so the goal will be to not lay an egg. MA has been hyping theirselves up for months while East has been all out of sorts and even in the paper preview Lowman admitted to the team not being full together yet. That needs to happen in a hurry or else it’s gonna be a long night in Pilot. MA’s defense and speed is legit it’s not anything East has experienced yet and if they don’t come in ready to improvise and be coached then it will be over before they know it. I just don’t see the Cards keeping up and Lowman isn’t no Diamont in terms of exploiting MA. He knew how to make it hurt for Holder but I don’t think Lowman knows how to do so for Adkins. I could be wrong though.

East Wilkes at Surry Central

This one has an 8 PM start but besides that the Golden Eagles are prepping for a big matchup with the Ronda Cards and it will be the first 1-0 vs 1-0 matchup in a while. Central exploited Alleghany’s youth last week to make up for their many mistakes and are looking for a solid year defining win early vs the Ronda Cards. Meanwhile East is trying to prove their win isn’t a fluke so it’s two very similar teams matching up. Central has the age edge but East imo has the better talent and one of the best backs in the area so if they can even maintain a half of the anger they had last week they will be fine here. Expect a barn burner because these two always play hard. It could very well come to the last whistle.

Elkin at West Wilkes

Tale of two contrasting week one’s here. West layed an egg in Ronda as they weren’t ready for East’s built up anger and the transfer from WC had a career game as a result. Elkin meanwhile played quite awfully vs North Wilkes team ready to play with a wide open offense. NW came out to a 14-0 lead due to Elkin’s defensive incompetence before they remembered their own defense is even worse, and let Elkin stay around until they eventually found the lead for good. Awful game played by Elkin but they managed to win by sheer circumstance. This week is going to be much different as they will face a fired up West Wilkes in Miller’s Creek. West has been waiting for years for this game due to the fact Elkin benefited off the nuked landscape of the Blackhawks when the Godby kid left West for Elkin, and they lost a whole alignment full of potential down the drain. They got beat on for 3 years after and they want kharmatic and ironic justice. They have a great shot of doing so and I will pick them in the upset here.

Elkin needs to find more consistency on both ends of the ball and it will be a rough few weeks for them until they do. Both the Blackhawks and Greyhounds will want their number the next two weeks for the past few years.. ? is can the Elks answer the bell? If not it will be a longer year of that ahead as there are plenty of teams in the same boat.

Trinity at Forbush

The Bush rolled to a solid but not the sexiest win over a young NF team last week. This week they have their home opener vs an equally big Trinity squad with offensive woes. They looked real impressive at South Stokes’s scrimmage two weeks back only to come out and wet the bed last week in an ugly win vs Chatham Central. This game will show if the Bush can handle big teams across from them but the Falcons are too good for a building Bulldog team. Things will get tougher in two weeks as they will be facing Thomasville who looks to be much improved. ? is how they can handle that and rebound if things go south. They didn’t handle Mountain Heritage at all in the spring.

CSD at Starmount

The Rams layed an egg last week and it’s still quite runny. They face a very solid Community School team off a big win over Bessermer CIty one of their rivals so they have to be ready for the Spartans. I sense good upset potential here. CSD had a good season springtime and still have their momentum while the Rams are trying to find some after that opener. It’ll either be close or CSD runs away with it I think the chances of the latter are solid.

Bishop at South Stokes

Talk about a game of the blind facing the inept. It's like Ray Charles vs Mr Magoo here. Bishop apparently didn’t play last week for some reason (who knows why,) and South sure did a good job acting like they didn’t despite doing so vs West. Never before I have I seen a game where an opposing defense acted like bowling pins, but that’s certainly what South did vs the WIldcats as their defense struggled to base tackle all night ,and let West run at will all over them to look like a million bucks in that opener. South has got to find their spiritual center, and actually want to look like they want to play Football. I didn’t sense it at their scrimmage and they sure didn’t show it last week. They are too talented and Carrick is too good a back to be wasted like this. I think Dave and Co finally realize what they need to do, and will light the fire under these kids one way or another. Bishop I know jack crap about.. They are still really young but have some size. They have switched to what looks like the Hambone but not really fully but they are in the option now in a really close up form. Sort of like Central Davidson’s offense in terms of stance space in the wing but it’s an option version of it. If South isn’t ready they will have a rough night and might get upset but I’m going with South due to Carrick. He will be too much of a load for the Villains however there is upset potential here due to the sheer unknown.

North Stokes at North Moore

The Vikings won a rainy and foggy mess over a very low South Davidson at home last week to give Fortner a very rare opening win which is rare in N Stokes’s history. However this week they face a very different beast in North Moore who survived a scare last week in Winston and should be more focused in. The Mustangs are on the up and have the VIkings on their schedule for an easy win, so the Danbury kids shouldn’t roll in over arrogant a bit or else it will be a long night. The game will come down to the offences and which ones goes off the rails first. I think North Stokes has the better shot of it happening due to one dimensionality of their offense. It’s all about that QB.. if he is stopped they are screwed. North Moore meanwhile has several backs to run the ball and thud you. North Stokes needs to be ready to mix it up and hit or else it will be a long night.

Atkins at Carver

Carver has improved quite a bit under the new coaching staff and it showed last Friday especially the first half. Their gritty defense in the first quarter was quite killer as they stopped North Moore on the 1 on a 4th down before Blackburn had a 99 yard TD to open the scoring. NM’s experience and depth won out late for the win but Carver played their first legit game in several years and the turn is starting for the Jackets. Atkins meanwhile looked quite inept and didn’t really try after a little bit vs Walkertown and the Pack rolled all over them.

I’ll honestly be surprised if this is close.. The tide is turning on Hamlin at Atkins after he has worked hard to build it up. The program is too big for it’s own good and the numbers aren’t near nowhere they need to compete in 3A. He badly needs a win here to save face but Carver’s not the joke they have been. If they don’t win here then they probably won’t for the rest of the year. Embarrassingly they have 2 open dates the next two weeks due to not finding 2 more teams too play.. Ouch. I say they will probably find one due to Covid but ? is will there be much to play for if they don’t pull this out?

Carver meanwhile has a great shot to get a winning streak going as they play Atkins this week and Highland Tech next week both of those are winnable for them.

Walkertown
at Lexington

The Pack won without much effort last week as Atkins had flashbacks of the past 2 years and just rolled over for them. Expect more of the same this week as they face a down and out Lexington squad who is in the middle of a program rebuild from being nuked in the middle of a long losing streak. They had a moment of potential last week vs Central Davidson when they scored on their long opening drive with a pass CD wasn’t prepped for; only to fall apart and get thudded by that old school wing offense. The Pack run a newer but similar offense with WAY much more speed and size so I expect another blow out here.

Walkertown will look like a million bucks due to everything but time will tell if they have truly grown as a program or not. This week definitely won’t show that.

WS Prep at LN Charter

A drastically different Phoenix squad return to action after an opening break vs a very hard to figure Lake Norman Charter team. Their all star lineman has gone away to Clemson, and their stud QB transferred out to East Forsyth, so their DNA is gonna be drastically different from what they used to be. There is a ton of youth on that roster so it looks like they are gonna have to be patient and wait it out until they grow and the older kids step up. LNC won last week vs a meh at best private school so on paper that doesn’t give them much of an edge. I’m going to go with them due to their experience of playing a game.. I expect this one to be an ugly one all around.

Mt Tabor
at North Forsyth

It’s gonna be a rough night for the Vikings as they are the sacrificial lamb for the Spartans for gate money. That’s all I can say.. Does anyone have the JV score from last night?

Delayed/Cancelled due to Covid:

North Wilkes at Ashe County (Delayed until 9-24)

Avery County at Wilkes Central (Not sure. The Patton game has been postponed as well)

Enjoyed reading...No right up for alleghany vs Grayson? Avery county is playing at cherokee now fyi

Enjoyed reading...No right up for alleghany vs Grayson? Avery county is playing at cherokee now fyi

Dang man I forgot! I had to write this with irritations all around. I'll start on it just now. My apology man I didn't mean that against yall.

Grayson Co at Alleghany

I pulled a gooch and forgot this game (my apology KW!) This is one of the classic rivalries of that mountain chain so I expect a good matchup here as they always tend to play each other hard. Grayson’s depth appears to be quite low (it was low vs West Wilkes in 2019,) but there are enough seniors to provide leadership but they won’t have much of a depth edge so Alleghany will be okay there. There was no film to find on them but I did see on Hudl that their Middle Linebacker is a kid who used to play at Alleghany; so I expect some hard hitting from both sides. Ultimately I see game experience over none being a huge boost most of the time, and Alleghany definitely has that. They played a decent Surry Central team really hard last week and I think they will come out just as focused so I’m going with them. They just can’t afford foolish mistakes vs an unknown rival.

Grayson county has a new coach that has installed the spread offense...should be interesting.

Atkins at Carver

Carver has improved quite a bit under the new coaching staff and it showed last Friday especially the first half. Their gritty defense in the first quarter was quite killer as they stopped North Moore on the 1 on a 4th down before Blackburn had a 99 yard TD to open the scoring. NM’s experience and depth won out late for the win but Carver played their first legit game in several years and the turn is starting for the Jackets. Atkins meanwhile looked quite inept and didn’t really try after a little bit vs Walkertown and the Pack rolled all over them.

I’ll honestly be surprised if this is close.. The tide is turning on Hamlin at Atkins after he has worked hard to build it up. The program is too big for it’s own good and the numbers aren’t near nowhere they need to compete in 3A. He badly needs a win here to save face but Carver’s not the joke they have been. If they don’t win here then they probably won’t for the rest of the year. Embarrassingly they have 2 open dates the next two weeks due to not finding 2 more teams too play.. Ouch. I say they will probably find one due to Covid but ? is will there be much to play for if they don’t pull this out?

Carver meanwhile has a great shot to get a winning streak going as they play Atkins this week and Highland Tech next week both of those are winnable for them.

Walkertown
at Lexington

The Pack won without much effort last week as Atkins had flashbacks of the past 2 years and just rolled over for them. Expect more of the same this week as they face a down and out Lexington squad who is in the middle of a program rebuild from being nuked in the middle of a long losing streak. They had a moment of potential last week vs Central Davidson when they scored on their long opening drive with a pass CD wasn’t prepped for; only to fall apart and get thudded by that old school wing offense. The Pack run a newer but similar offense with WAY much more speed and size so I expect another blow out here.

Walkertown will look like a million bucks due to everything but time will tell if they have truly grown as a program or not. This week definitely won’t show that.

WS Prep at LN Charter

A drastically different Phoenix squad return to action after an opening break vs a very hard to figure Lake Norman Charter team. Their all star lineman has gone away to Clemson, and their stud QB transferred out to East Forsyth, so their DNA is gonna be drastically different from what they used to be. There is a ton of youth on that roster so it looks like they are gonna have to be patient and wait it out until they grow and the older kids step up. LNC won last week vs a meh at best private school so on paper that doesn’t give them much of an edge. I’m going to go with them due to their experience of playing a game.. I expect this one to be an ugly one all around.

Mt Tabor
at North Forsyth

It’s gonna be a rough night for the Vikings as they are the sacrificial lamb for the Spartans for gate money. That’s all I can say.. Does anyone have the JV score from last night?

Delayed/Cancelled due to Covid:

North Wilkes at Ashe County (Delayed until 9-24)

Avery County at Wilkes Central (Not sure. The Patton game has been postponed as well)
Money!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT