ADVERTISEMENT

Slash's Area Power Poll/Game Picks Week 2

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Well week 1 came in with a bang and left us feeling very entertained that’s for sure. We got to see a lot about some of the teams around and some not so much. I’ll be able to do a full poll now considering that. Let’s get started:

1.Mount Airy +/- 0. 28-7 Win over Starmount; next up at West Stokes

The Granite Bears had a comfortable win over the Rams; however Holder wasn’t very impressed with the Bears output. This week’s gonna be a better benchmark for MA as they play rival West Stokes in their early season battle for supremacy. MA leads 5-3 in the series dating back to 2009.

2.East Wilkes Cardinals +3. 36-20 Win over East Surry; next up at Surry Central.

The Ronda Cards proved to be the birds of Prey on Friday of the Cardinal variety with a dominating performance in Pilot. They still have two more games left with the birds. This week the Cards are out for revenge in Dobson vs. the young Golden Eagles.

3. Wilkes Central. -1. 21-0 Win over North Iredell; next up at home vs. Alexander Central.

WC had a solid yet not epic win over North Iredell on Friday. I’m sure many were disappointed in the lack of offense but on plus they got a shutout which is great to build confidence for their defense. This week an on the rise Alexander Central squad’s in town for a renewal of their series which dates back to the WNCHSAA days. This will be the start of Central’s increased challenges in non conference along with Watauga. How the Eagles fare in these 2 games will show their destiny for the year ahead.

It took me a while to rate the next 3 squads; I couldn’t so I decided to lump all three into 4th place.

4A. East Surry. +/-. 36-20 loss to East Wilkes; next up at home vs. Starmount.

The Pilot Cards had a disappointing go Friday night. They couldn’t stop the East Wilkes offensive juggernaut and despite putting points up they couldn’t catch up. I think while it hurts the Pilot boys short term long term it might open their eyes and make them better come November. However in the present they got to prep for a more competitive Starmount team coming to Pilot. Last year East struggled with them down in Boonville; it seems Johnson always preps his teams for the Cards. This game will be a better benchmark for the Pilot boys than the EW game which was a really a playoff game week 1.

4B.North Surry +1. 25-6 win over North Forsyth; next up at Elkin.

Originally I was gonna put North in 4th place by theirselves due to the magnitude of their win on Friday. Not only did they open the season with an endowment win but it’s North’s first varsity win over a big Forsyth school since beating RJR in the 1981 season opener as well as their first win over a 3 or 4A since 2000. That’s huge for the program. It was a stout defensive effort from the ‘Hounds all night; offensively it was solid but the muddy field slowed the offense down. North has on paper the least hardest contest but it could be a trap game for the ‘Hounds considering Elkin’s win and how North played in 2015 for a half. I expect North to take this week more serious this go ‘round.

4C.West Stokes +1. 35-14 win over South Stokes; next up at home vs. Mount Airy.

The Wildcats had a solid opener vs. county rival South Stokes in a game that was closer than the score indicated. South played hard for a half but ultimately the breaks and the skill player advantage won the day for the Wildcats. By default this is the easiest opener for any of these 3 schools but it’s not really that way at all. West’s offense took off like they wanted but they will receive a greater test this week as MA comes to Pinnacle. These two schools are battle hard and have become one of the area’s best rivalries since West’s glory run in 2011. Expect another hard fought game this year.

7. North Wilkes +/-. 40-6 win over Bishop McGuiness; next up at South Stokes.

The Vikings had a solid yet not much publicized much win over a rebuilding Bishop squad in the opener. It was everything someone expected from the Vikings; Grimes gets the ball over and over besides some theatrics from the QB. Nothing really flashy here just classic ground and pound football. This week brings NW’s first real challenge of the season:a ready to prove theirselves South Stokes squad. They return to Walnut Cove hungry for a win after a much closer effort vs. West Stokes. Last season South had a solid chance to beat the Vikings but the Sauras got too emotional and fell off the rails allowing the Vikes to escape. This year; maybe not. NW better not come in expecting it easy or else it may be a rough ride back to Hays.

8. West Wilkes +1. 45-17 win over Forbush; off week 2.

The Blackhawks blew a lot of folks minds with a dominating first half performance as they dropped 35 on Forbush to a comfortable win at home. But it didn’t surprise me that much. West is an under the radar squad in the MVAC; they could determine the conference by how they play. They return a great back in Ortiz so I expect them to be solid. They have the luck of an early bye but it’ll help them when they finish their non conference slate up with potentially 3 solid wins for them before they hit the grinder off the bat with the top Wilkes squads. They will have a winning season though as long as they stay on this path.. Making the Charlotte Observer’s prediction look silly.

9. Forbush -3. 45-17 loss to Forbush; at home vs. North Iredell.

The Falcons had a rough go last week to put it mildly. They gave up 35 points in the first half vs. West Wilkes and struggled to put points up besides two random runs and a botched punt off West’s part. It’s easy to say that got some improvements to make but it’s hard to say that this will be a recurring trend or not. Zane Johnson was “unavailable,” for the game and it showed big time. Will he be out for the long term or will he return and give a boost to the Falcons? This week they play their non con rivals in North Iredell who have had their share of wacky contests over the years. I have a feeling this will be another one of those.

10.South Stokes +1. 35-14 Loss to West Stokes; at home vs. North Wilkes.

The Sauras had a mixed bag of an opener vs. their western rivals. They played solid and with them for a half before dying out due to death and a skill advantage. However not all is dire for the Sauras. They have some hope that they can play perhaps and will return home this week for a contest with North Wilkes. This will be a needed test for South’s defense as they hope to make it a focal point for them in the next time to come. Their offense has to be able to produce as well; there isn’t much of a skill player advantage this time besides at RB and QB. I expect another down to the wire contest like last season where South played really a step higher than NW did and passed it all over them; only to let it go it late when their emotions got out of hand. South can possibly pull it off this year if they do what they need to do. If not the rest of the non conference slate will be much more to the Sauras favor.

11. Starmount Rams +1. 28-7 Loss to Mount Airy. At East Surry

The Rams managed to have a decent performance last week despite not having much of an offensive show. They came to play Mount Airy this year and managed to slow their offense down enough to the point of making it somewhat close. From what I heard their line managed to battle with MA; showing I wasn’t wrong. This week they go to Pilot to play East in what is usally a hard hitting affair and is a trap game for both. Last year East almost let the W slip away while in 2014 Starmount upset a heavily favored East squad which sent East reeling. I expect another hard hitting affair here; and if East slips up Starmount will be there to capitalize.

12. Ashe County -2. 56-35 Loss to Avery County. At home vs. Watauga.

The Huskies started their murder’s row stretch with a very disappointing outing vs. Avery in a game many including muah felt they had a shot. Their defense is still struggling while their offense put up a decent number; much like last year, This week it doesn’t get any easier as they play 3A Watauga at home to open up the tough stretch. The Huskies and Pioneers have always played a tough series despite Watauga’s domination and I expect it to continue here. Much like with Carver if Ashe can make it out of this stretch with no injuries and morale at a fine level they could hit conference play with a chance to do better. They will be solidly coached to make the most of what they have,

13.Elkin Buckin Elks +3. 31-14 win over Surry Central; at home vs. North Surry

The Elks finally managed to slip that huge monkey off their back with a surprisingly dominant performance vs. the Golden Eagles in Dobson. SC was unable to stop Elkin’s Mayes both at RB and in the slot and Elkin shut down Central’s option all night. Elkin made the most of their experience vs. a young Central squad and made up for their low depth. This week however it won’t be any easier as a hot and fired up North Surry squad rolls into town off a big time win in their opener. This game proved to be a trap game for a half before North took off 2 years ago for the ‘Hounds after their win over Ashe in the opener so North’s looking to have a better go this time. However Elkin will be motivated and wants the upset. Could be an interesting outing. Worst case this will give Elkin some experience for the big 2A schools in their conference. I expect Elkin to be more competitive this season in the MVAC,

14.Alleghany Trojans +1. 52-0 win over North Stokes; at home vs. Grayson County, Virginia

In week 1 it proved to be not much of a contest at all besides the opening quarter. Alleghany could do no wrong while North Stokes could do nothing right. In terms of an opener it was a terrible one for both sides. N Stokes didn’t prove much of anything and Alleghany had no challenge all night. This week however will be more of one for the Trojans as their cross state lines rival comes to town for Alleghany’s home opener. The Trojans have responded well so far but Grayson will be more competitive and it will show more of the Trojans.

15.Atkins Camels +/-. 35-6 win over Central Davidson; at home vs. RJR

Atkins’s win over CD in week 1 wasn’t totally unexpected in my mind; I considered their chances of winning at 50/50 but the margin of victory was very unexpected. I expected a much better outing from Central Davidson here. The Spartans have been 3A the last 4 years and should have been a little more battle tested; apparently not. Atkins did almost everything at will vs. the Spatans. I had a hard time telling if it was Atkins just simply being better or CD being that bad. This week will be way more of a test vs. a much improved RJR squad. Atkins will be out-athleted here and the Demons have more size on the line. RJR should win solidly but if Atkins performs well it may be a sign of something’s in the water down there and a sign of things to come.

16.Surry Central Golden Eagles -7. 31-14 loss vs. Elkin; at home vs. East Wilkes.

Last week quite frankly the Golden Eagles were embarrassed at home in their opener. Unlike 2016 where they dominated East in their opener; here they could literally do nothing right. Is it true that luck has caught up with SC or is just the talent down that much? Time will tell; but alas that opener is one of Central’s few easy games on their schedule. They have a very tough stretch coming up to round out the non conference slate before they open with Atkins after a bye. However this next stretch doesn’t start easy as East WIlkes comes to Dobson very hungry to avenge a last second loss that I’m sure has haunted them for a year. It might be a rough night for the Golden Eagles. However the coaching staff won’t allow them to quit they will improve thru the year but they will take their lumps though.

17.Walkertown Wolfpack +/- 44-6 loss vs. Lexington; at home vs. Glenn.

Like Central Walkertown had an embarrassing performance in the opener. Unlike Central though the Wolfpack were actually competing in this game. They played Lexington very close for the opening half. However a pick that went for a TD late in the 2nd quarter broke their spirits and the Jackets took the momentum which they never lost; scoring 31 points in the final two quarters. Needless to say it wasn’t the best debut on the 2A stage for the Wolfpack despite some potential in the opening bits of the game. However it won’t be getting easier for them as a solid Glenn team will be rolling into town to start a rough patch before conference. Besides 1A East Wilkes the Wolfpack won’t be playing smaller schools. Like Carver they expect the harder games to battle test them but also like Carver it won’t be easy for them as they play West Stokes and North Surry out the gate in conference play. The Wolfpack now just wants to survive and maybe upset East for momentum.

18.Carver Yellow Jackets +/-. 49-0 loss vs. Dudley; at West Forsyth

Carver had a very downer of an opener at home vs. the powder keg known as Dudley. The Panthers ran all over the Yellow Jackets as Carver couldn’t do anything much vs. the powerhouse. In what proved to be a somewhat close endowment game it’s grown to be a blowout win for Dudley the last few years. It won’t be getting any easier for Carver as they continue to descend on their murderer's row schedule with West Forsyth. Carver’s goal here is to quite frankly survive the brutality early and hope Forbush is in rough shape so they can get an easy win before they hit the rough patch of their conference schedule. It will build momentum and freak everyone out before they play them. However that’s easier said than done. Now they gotta see if they can produce any kind of scoring threats vs. the established powerhouses. If so it shows they can be a solid offense. Defensively they got to prevent schools into the 40’s. They did that vs. Dudley albeit 1 point from 50. If they manage to play Glenn or Parkland close all bets are off. Just gotta wait and see.

19.Bishop McGuiness Villains +/-. 40-6 loss vs. North Wilkes; at home vs. Trinity.

Hate to use a cliche here but the Villains needed saving last week in Hays. They couldn’t stop NW’s vaunted rushing attack and their O struggled. This week the Villains face an unknown Trinity squad who literally won without stepping on the field last week as South Davidson forfeited due to low #’s. The Bulldogs are an unknown squad and it will be tough for Bishop in that regard. However I expect Bishop to compete more these next few weeks. Besides West Wilkes none of their non conference schools are as solid as North Wilkes. Here in a few weeks Bishop will have some solid chances for W’s. The squad just needed a spiritual boost here; once that happens they will compete harder. I expect the year to end better than it started for the Villains.

20.North Stokes Vikings +/-. 52-0 loss vs. Alleghany; at North Moore.

Oh vey. The opener was not a good for one Coach Sessoms as his squad faced a buzzsaw apparently in Alleghany. After a close first quarter the Vikings fell apart and started getting banged up. They were shutout too; which wasn’t good for their morale. Broken into many pieces there is nowhere but the Vikings to go but upwards however it won’t be easy. This week they got a down but still competitive on the small 1A level North Moore team. Like an average Sessoms squad the Mustangs will be well coached in the fundamentals and will be ready to hit. Also like North Stokes they had a loss last week to the Community School of Davidson who passed it all over North Moore. The ? is here will the Vikings overcome their injuries and broken hearts for a better performance or will the season be an endurance test for the Vikings and Sessoms?

Not Ranked: WS Prep. They will be next week though.

I decided to merge both my threads every week now to prevent taking up space from everyone else.

I'll have my picks on by tomorrow morning.

Week 2 Game Picks:

Ah yes the time has come. Let’s do it:

GOW:

West Stokes at Mount Airy

Both squads had closer than expected openers last week. West had to deal with South for a half before their depth and skill players took over; while MA relied on it’s speed to overcome a fiesty Starmount squad. Both teams have room to grow though.

This series has always been a hard hitting one. MA’s had it’s wins as has West and both have had their lumps. I say there’s a serious chance this one will be a thriller. West has some athletes again this year in the backfield. It’ll come down ultimately to the defenses; especially MA’s. They got more to prove here vs. a better offense. West is the team with nothing to lose here and I expect them to keep it tough as long as their lineplay plays to what they expect.

MA just has a few more weapons; hence my pick.

Other Games:

Starmount at East Surry

Last week the Cards of Pilot had a rough go vs. their Ronda bird cousins. The second half was just killer to ES as Vestal had a career night on the ground and ES had no answer for the option. This week won’t get any easier for the Cards as feisty Starmount squad comes to Pilot lusting for an upset. It’s happened before; 2014 the Cards were favored and the Rams showed their potential for that year. Last year’s game was a doozy and ES pulled it out.

This year I expect the same. Ultimately it’s gonna come down to if East can put on a solid showing on both sides. East’s run defense has to step up to shut Starmount down as they focus their offense on that. Offensively East has got to find balance besides Ray in the backfield. Starmount’s going to be hyped up and ready to play so East has to match their intensity.

I think East can but a blow-a-way might not happen.

East Wilkes at Surry Central

Talk about a tail of two fates here. Last week East Wilkes came into enemy territory in an unaccustomed state and were ready to go and just ran it at will. The win was a huge statement win for the Cards when they badly needed it. Central on the other hand were given a black eye in their home opener vs. Elkin. The offense couldn’t move the ball consistently and their D struggled to stop Mayes all over the field from Elkin. Needless to say it wasn’t the debut the Golden Eagles wanted.

This week it’s East’s chance to have some revenge they have lusted on for a whole year as they head to Dobson for a rematch at the Golden Eagles place. SC has it’s struggles on defense especially vs. the run; while East Wilkes has a bit of a fumbling problem. Central’s best hope for a win is to improve on both sides and make the most if East starts fumbling. That means long ball control drives to stymie the Cards. At this point I just don’t see it; especially if East is 100% ready.

If so it may be 2015 all over again.

North Wilkes at South Stokes:

After a solid yet uneventful opener the Vikings are ready to prove theirselves. After a close affair for a half before falling off the Sauras are rather hungry. Tonight both teams will meet up with a lot to prove in Sauraland. This series has always been a rather interesting one. Both teams started playing in 2011 as 2 of the more down programs meeting up for a W. South dominated the first few years before NW’s came along solid the last couple of years. Last year’s contest was probably the best one played yet. South dominated North in the air while North dominated the ground. South had a solid chance to win however they managed to fall apart at the seems emotionally and NW took advantage and held on.

This year I expect another close outing. South as a whole is lot better in terms of talent and the new HC has improved their style a lot. I expect them to be more into the game here. This is another great test for South’s defense and NW’s first real test. South’s going to have to stop Grimes and the QB. That’s easier said than done. Ultimately I expect another close score like last year. However if South does shut the run down they can pull it out here. South’s passing game in my opinion is way better than North’s.

North Moore at North Stokes

It’s gonna be a battle of the Wing T’s in Danbury. North Moore had a first half lead on CSD before falling apart due to fumbles in the 2nd half while N Stokes struggled with Alleghany. Most people would pick North Moore easily here and I am myself but I do think this could be close perhaps. NM struggled with fumbles in the 2nd half; and if N Stokes can improve enough on D they can make a game out of it perhaps. I seen NM and they got some size so I expect that to be the difference maker.

Alexander Central at Wilkes Central

North Iredell at Forbush

This game is hard to pick due to Johnson’s status for Forbush. He makes their offense click fully with him playing and without him last week they struggled to be consistent on offense. If he plays I say they will probably win it but if not it could be a doozy. NI I seen during 7 on 7’s; they struggle with the pass on defense but they got a couple athletes. If Forbush is to win at 100% they gotta improve on defense and on offense production. It’s hard to say right now though due to Johnson’s iffy status but I’ll give Forbush the nod here anyways.

Watauga at Ashe
Carver at West Forsyth
Glenn
at Walkertown
WS Prep at Parkland
Trinity
at Bishop

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT