ADVERTISEMENT

Sign of the times???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is clear we are a state of inaction. North Carolina may lose more kids if our NCHSAA administration fails to make a definite plan. If I am correct NC and OR are the only two states without a definitive plan in place. Leadership is key during this time and unfortunately that is lacking at this time. Players, coaches, fans, and schools want and need sports. I know these are different times but let’s have some leadership and have a plan please. I do want to see our state lose athletes to other states due to our inaction.

I think SC and GA will get it started but less than a 20% chance they get more than a couple games in.

If FBS schools cant figure it out do you really think a HS in Columbia or Greenville are gonna do it? Doubtful

Yes sc will get it in Georgia was backed up 2 weeks but will still get 10 games and 5 playoff games. Nc is being over protective on this in my opinion.
According to the CDC, there have been a total of 76 US deaths between the ages of 1-14. There have been a total of 146 between the ages of 15-24. We all know that these numbers are not accurate. The real numbers could be half. To say NC is being over protective is a very mild statement.

MAC dropped today. MLB is on death watch as the ST Cardinals have played a grand total of 5 games so far.

Unless your gonna do what the NBA or NHL is doing OR you have the $$ of the NFL its not gonna happen.

Careful not careful??? I dont know, my gut feeling is you should make every attempt to get kids in schools and playing sports but I have lost a friend, still have an employee in rough shape and reading stories like Xavier Thomas at Clemson tells me its not just about who dies.

These are very tough calls

Reactions: paulraiderfan
MAC dropped today. MLB is on death watch as the ST Cardinals have played a grand total of 5 games so far.

Unless your gonna do what the NBA or NHL is doing OR you have the $$ of the NFL its not gonna happen.

Careful not careful??? I dont know, my gut feeling is you should make every attempt to get kids in schools and playing sports but I have lost a friend, still have an employee in rough shape and reading stories like Xavier Thomas at Clemson tells me its not just about who dies.

These are very tough calls
My comments are not meant to imply that Covid isnt nasty or something to take serious but there are many things that fall in that list. Those that do not want to go out or go to school or go to work do not have too. No need to shut down the whole state. H1N1 had 61 million cases in the US, covid has less than 5 million.

My comments are not meant to imply that Covid isnt nasty or something to take serious but there are many things that fall in that list. Those that do not want to go out or go to school or go to work do not have too. No need to shut down the whole state. H1N1 had 61 million cases in the US, covid has less than 5 million.

Far more deaths. If this was flu this would be moot.

I dont think states should shut down........only that I understand its a tougher call than just " being careful" and all these kids who are now running to SC are kidding themselves. If the MAC conference cant figure it out I doubt Dutch Fork or Brynes are going to. Hope I am wrong-

I dont think states should shut down........only that I understand its a tougher call than just " being careful" and all these kids who are now running to SC are kidding themselves. If the MAC conference cant figure it out I doubt Dutch Fork or Brynes are going to. Hope I am wrong-

Nothing to figure out for the MAC conference when the B1G and SEC cut out non-conference games. Take away those big payout games, no fans in the stands, no way they can afford the rigorous testing $ for the year like the big schools can.

This is laughable at best. MLB is on the fritz, the NBA is next, and the NFL won't get through 1/4 of the season before they shut down. NFL players, ENTIRE College Programs and other athletes are foregoing their seasons, but yet, this KID and his delusional parents think they can move to SC and play HS football this year. Good luck with that! Multi-BILLION dollar organizations can't protect their players, but yet somehow HS coaches in SC have it figured out. Good luck with that!

The US Centre for Disease and Control Prevention (CDC) estimated that 150, 000 to 575,000 people died from (H1N1) pandemic virus infection in the first year of the outbreak.
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Covid 19 in US
TOTAL CASES 4,920,369
TOTAL DEATHS 160,220
There is zero chances these number are not greatly inflated, zero.

The US Centre for Disease and Control Prevention (CDC) estimated that 150, 000 to 575,000 people died from (H1N1) pandemic virus infection in the first year of the outbreak.
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Covid 19 in US
TOTAL CASES 4,920,369
TOTAL DEATHS 160,220
There is zero chances these number are not greatly inflated, zero.

Port- I am a big fan so I say this with a ton of respect for your football knowledge.

You are looking at WORLDWIDE deaths over one year of H1N1.

US deaths were estimated at about 13K. 162K is inflated?? Maybe.....but if you cut the # in half over a 6 month time frame its still not even in the same stratosphere as Covid 19.

This thing is real. Hyped by some?? Sure. But its killing people by the thousands EVERY day.

Port- I am a big fan so I say this with a ton of respect for your football knowledge.

You are looking at WORLDWIDE deaths over one year of H1N1.

US deaths were estimated at about 13K. 162K is inflated?? Maybe.....but if you cut the # in half over a 6 month time frame its still not even in the same stratosphere as Covid 19.

This thing is real. Hyped by some?? Sure. But its killing people by the thousands EVERY day.
I agree, but not young people. I am not trying to start anything here. It is just frustrating to me, this is very similar to other things we deal with in life. No one has to leave their home if they do not want to. My frustration is states shutting things down. You can go to a rest and have a drink but not a bar. You can protest but you cant go to church. The states picking the winners and the losers. Remember that this all started to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. Well that hasn't happened and it is not going to but no one speaks of that anymore.
Open the schools and those that do not want to go do not have to go. Open the gyms and those that do not want to go do not have to. There is a way to make you happy and me happy.

I agree, but not young people. I am not trying to start anything here. It is just frustrating to me, this is very similar to other things we deal with in life. No one has to leave their home if they do not want to. My frustration is states shutting things down. You can go to a rest and have a drink but not a bar. You can protest but you cant go to church. The states picking the winners and the losers. Remember that this all started to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed. Well that hasn't happened and it is not going to but no one speaks of that anymore.
Open the schools and those that do not want to go do not have to go. Open the gyms and those that do not want to go do not have to. There is a way to make you happy and me happy.

Port - you are preaching to the choir. 50% capacity in a restaurant but I have flown on multiple full American flights in the last 30 days that are full to capacity. Health risk?

Couple of Meck county restaurants thumb their nose at the rules. Instead of punishing them they just pass a 10 pm alcohol ban on everyone.

I hate when government picks winners and losers. That is federal, state or local but some of that is due to an absolute void of direction on a national level. Covid task force says one thing....5 hours later the President undercuts them. No wonder we are a mess.

I want sports badly and I give the organizations who are trying to figure it out alot of credit. I know personally that trying to keep a company afloat is a daily street fight. NCHSAA needs to keep punching.

Reactions: araiderfan
Port - you are preaching to the choir. 50% capacity in a restaurant but I have flown on multiple full American flights in the last 30 days that are full to capacity. Health risk?

Couple of Meck county restaurants thumb their nose at the rules. Instead of punishing them they just pass a 10 pm alcohol ban on everyone.

I hate when government picks winners and losers. That is federal, state or local but some of that is due to an absolute void of direction on a national level. Covid task force says one thing....5 hours later the President undercuts them. No wonder we are a mess.

I want sports badly and I give the organizations who are trying to figure it out alot of credit. I know personally that trying to keep a company afloat is a daily street fight. NCHSAA needs to keep punching.
I am not aware of any federal mandates on this. This is a matter to be dealt with at the state level. I don’t trust any of them. I trust the CDC more than any politician and the politicians are doing what they want. I am all for getting accurate info and recommendations but this has never happened before and in my opinion shouldn’t be now. I lost my mother in May and we only had 15 people at her funeral. Many people wanted to pay their respects but we couldn’t allow it. George Floyd has 3 funerals with thousands of people at each one. Most had never met him. My remarks aren’t directed to GF, it’s about the hypocrisy. It’s about picking winners and loser.

What happens if you jump over to private in NC, they play 2 or 3 games, and shut it down. Can you go back to public and play in the Spring?

Nothing to figure out for the MAC conference when the B1G and SEC cut out non-conference games. Take away those big payout games, no fans in the stands, no way they can afford the rigorous testing $ for the year like the big schools can.

How bout the Big Ten. Those are pretty big schools . When they cancel does everyone else follow?

How bout the Big Ten. Those are pretty big schools . When they cancel does everyone else follow?

B1G, SEC, Big 12 and Pac 12 just need to shut down and let Clemson and UNC battle it out for the Natty. We've been working on that option for the 2 pt conversion and will execute better this go around.

In all seriousness, playing while campus is shut down is, IMO, the best way to go about it, but it also exposes the charade of the whole damn enterprise. Even if the players want to play and quality of life will decrease for many away from school.

Article on CBSSports.com quoting two Power Five AD’s who say that the PAC12, then the Big Ten, will cancel the fall season and are trying to determine if a spring season will work. If true, the dominos will fall. Both conferences have been meeting, but no announcements yet.
Update: ESPN is reporting that the “vast majority” of Big 10 presidents want to cancel. Power Five conferences meeting tonight.

Last edited:
Ole Roy Cooper gonna shut football down completely. He’s gonna keep pushing the start date back before ya know it will be to late. Roy sucked as attorney general and sucks worse as governor of this great state.

I am not aware of any federal mandates on this. This is a matter to be dealt with at the state level. I don’t trust any of them. I trust the CDC more than any politician and the politicians are doing what they want. I am all for getting accurate info and recommendations but this has never happened before and in my opinion shouldn’t be now. I lost my mother in May and we only had 15 people at her funeral. Many people wanted to pay their respects but we couldn’t allow it. George Floyd has 3 funerals with thousands of people at each one. Most had never met him. My remarks aren’t directed to GF, it’s about the hypocrisy. It’s about picking winners and loser.
Port sorry to hear about the lost of your mother. In regards to your comment about winners and losers - news flash this country has always picked winners and losers.

Its a virus. What happens if the players have long term effects that are not readily seen now? Say when they turn 35-40 and realize COVID exposure destroyed their lungs over time? Heart issues? Respiratory issues? In the grand scheme of things shutting down a few months and not playing football makes perfect sense. Then the high infection rate of children to parents. Schools are a big science experiment for germs. You want to spread a virus quickly, let children mix at school and then go back home. Why do you think most large infections occur in closed high capacity places like nursing homes, churches, bars, and gyms? A school is the perfect recipe for mass spread.

-Also you gotta be silly transferring now thinking SC will play and NC wont. Either they both play or they both wont play. The pressure from either side when a decision is made. North Paulding high just made it more difficult for any school in the south to have in person learning.

Portcity you mentioned GF funeral and protest. Had the same question asked by folks at church. GF funeral had thousands in the streets, not in the buildings. The buildings were restricted also.Look at the pictures of inside the services ,no one is in the pews. People were ushered in and out. Some funeral services were more easily to be restricted vs. others and depend on the type of funeral service, location of the funeral and the state of said funeral. I've worked many funerals during COVID and its very sad to see the restrictions and its confusing on how they are applied service to service and by funeral home to funeral home. Take GF out of it, and its still very confusing. Some of the most stringent restrictions were on bodies that had COVID or the number of COVID bodies at a facility. Just saying its not political all the time but science/timing of the funeral/common sense.

Its hard to discuss the church aspect vs. protest aspect. Protest shouldn;t have been allowed IMHO, but it is outside. Church should be restricted scientifically, but spiritually and legally you can;t stop people from gathering from worship.

Last edited:
But its ok to put kids in school buildings?
If kids go to school full time or part time the we should be able to gather "outside" for football.

If kids go to school full time or part time the we should be able to gather "outside" for football.

Reactions: PisgahCatamount07
Its a virus. What happens if the players have long term effects that are not readily seen now? Say when they turn 35-40 and realize COVID exposure destroyed their lungs over time? Heart issues? Respiratory issues? In the grand scheme of things shutting down a few months and not playing football makes perfect sense. Then the high infection rate of children to parents. Schools are a big science experiment for germs. You want to spread a virus quickly, let children mix at school and then go back home. Why do you think most large infections occur in closed high capacity places like nursing homes, churches, bars, and gyms? A school is the perfect recipe for mass spread.

-Also you gotta be silly transferring now thinking SC will play and NC wont. Either they both play or they both wont play. The pressure from either side when a decision is made. North Paulding high just made it more difficult for any school in the south to have in person learning.

Portcity you mentioned GF funeral and protest. Had the same question asked by folks at church. GF funeral had thousands in the streets, not in the buildings. The buildings were restricted also.Look at the pictures of inside the services ,no one is in the pews. People were ushered in and out. Some funeral services were more easily to be restricted vs. others and depend on the type of funeral service, location of the funeral and the state of said funeral. I've worked many funerals during COVID and its very sad to see the restrictions and its confusing on how they are applied service to service and by funeral home to funeral home. Take GF out of it, and its still very confusing. Some of the most stringent restrictions were on bodies that had COVID or the number of COVID bodies at a facility. Just saying its not political all the time but science/timing of the funeral/common sense.

Its hard to discuss the church aspect vs. protest aspect. Protest shouldn;t have been allowed IMHO, but it is outside. Church should be restricted scientifically, but spiritually and legally you can;t stop people from gathering from worship.
Brother you just said a mouth full and I was at the memorial service for GF and you are 100% right. Winners and Losers GF lost more than anyone on this forum so as much as I have respect for Port as it relates to football that is a bad example.

Reactions: bigdadd11103

The indoor school plan will be done and over with by Labor Day in 80% of the country. We are already seeing kids test positive and schools re-thinking the plan.

There may be some remote areas that feel like its still attainable but most will be remote until a vaccine comes together.

Never truly have understood the " kids dont get it" argument. Arent schools staffed by hundreds of adults? Teachers, Cafeteria Workers, Janitorial staff, Administrators?? Isnt space already very limited?

Could the pandemic lead to the Power 5 saying bye bye to the NCAA all together. Per the article above it would be a great time to jump ship!

Seems like the B1G is backtracking a tad, now delaying the season rather than cancelling.

I'd start the season the weekend of October 3rd. Play Oct, Nov, and Dec. Play rivalry games New Years Weekend (12/31 - 1/3). No Conference Championship games. Start the CFP through January. Super Bowl Weekend: Natty Championship game on Saturday with the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Reactions: Appvol
...and again...this Pinecrest KID and his delusional parents think HS football will occur in SC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT