ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby vs South Pointe....thoughts

Games are about matchups and while I think Shelby is an underdog this is a close one. SP isnt getting 38 points. They would be lucky to get half. Southpointe isnt over powering physically like a Mallard Creek or a Dutch Fork. The offense is streetball with the best athlete with the ball in his hands. Pretty effective for sure but they only had 176 yards of offense against mallard creek and negative 21 yards rushing. Shelby's defense is in the same league as MC and maybe even better in the back end. I doubt Shelby has 16 penalties for 175 yards either.

Shelby's issues will be scoring points. First your gonna have to go 80 yards because there is gonna be no return. Then you have to deal with a great, very fast and long defense. Adams is a problem upfront and they will move him around so its hard to dbl him. By himself he completely destroyed the rhythm of the MC offense. Southpointe will also be coming off a huge game with Buford, GA. Hard to get high school kids up two weeks in a row.

I give Southpointe the edge because Kendrick is probably good for two scores on his own and the kicker is a great weapon in close low scoring games. 20-10 or 23-14 sounds about right.

Reactions: Crestuff
SP isnt getting 38 points. They would be lucky to get half.

I give Southpointe the edge because Kendrick is probably good for two scores on his own and the kicker is a great weapon in close low scoring games. 20-10 or 23-14 sounds about right.

I think SP will score some points off FGs and will get good field position several times. This will cause the score to go higher than many think. If Shelby gets the ball on the twenty a few times and goes three and out or does not move the ball much SP could get up quick. That is where I see the most likely problems for Shelby. MC matched up fairly well with their grind it out style which kept the score relatively low. Do not see Shelby doing that. Believe they need the big plays and a lot of 10 to 15 yard pickups.

Kendrick is too good to be contained the whole game, he will get some big plays. I do not see SP doing a lot up the middle though but if he gets outside a few times that could stretch Shelby out some.

Interesting matchups.

Whats abput that receiver #5. Dude was a beast.

But to answer your question. Last year Mallard Creek struggled with spread/mobile qbs. Kendrick wasn't the only mobile qb to hurt them.

As I stated Kendrick is good but Rico was much better. Much faster and a much accurate passer. Funny thing is Shelby's defense is suited very well to handle mobile qbs. The way more film I watch. The more I'm liking Shelby's chances. Jaylen and Dax are a rare breed. Lol you'll see

Good conversation on here...glad I posted it. Just looking at last year and what is coming back. Have to go with South Pointe. One of the NC posters (think it was a Shelby fan) stated that the Shelby OL vs the SP DL was the match-up he did not like and what would determine the outcome. I am a firm believer the games are won in the trenches. It's not "sexy" but it makes both sides of the ball "happen".

How did they lose any games last year. Serious question

Lost one game . They were young last year. Lot of juniors and sophmores. Traveled to Baltimore to take on St. Frances Academy which is a recruited up private that typically has 5-7 D1 kids. SP had them down most of the game but got worn down in 2nd half by a huge Oline. You take 16-17 year old kids on the road like that its a little different type of deal.

St Francis is a big time program and will conceibably be a top 50 or higher nationally ranked team by most polls this season! Lost 38-0 last game of the year to IMG at IMG's facility. Lost to Paramus Catholic out of Northern New Jersey by 18. They also beat some impressive teams, Gilman which is always a power, McDonough that lost to MC in 2015, Bishop Sullivan from VA Beach that was led by a running back that has family in Shelby.

Last edited:
Lol. Right. Kendrick is good but he's a poor man's version of Rico Dwiedle who's now a rb at South Carolina. You RH ppl be careful this isn't your typical 2a school. Shelby players, coaches and community wants to be respected on a national level don't be shocked if they bust your bubble and beat you at home. I can guarantee you or your athletes wont intimidate them.

Okay, I reluctantly agree with this just because champ knows his stuff. Those SC pretenders are going down! Hey champ, stay out of the newspapers, okay?

Lol. Good 1.

I'm very interested in this game. Is therw a chance a series could be developed or this is just a 1 time thing.

Lol. Good 1.

I'm very interested in this game. Is therw a chance a series could be developed or this is just a 1 time thing.

Evidently just 1 time. South Pointe really has nothing to gain from playing a 2A school and everything to lose (if they lose).

I have to go with S. Pointe in this one. I believe their D will be too much for this Lions team to deal with especially in the trenches. The Stallions have a player on D and a player on O that can wreck a game plan.

One goodthing, Shelby has 5 games before to get better, and against good teams, before playing SP Rockhill.

Im hearing our O-line has size and is comming together.
The Shelby D will hold its own.

Reactions: 72 State Champion
One goodthing, Shelby has 5 games before to get better, and against good teams, before playing SP Rockhill.

Im hearing our O-line has size and is comming together.
The Shelby D will hold its own.

Good teams, sure. None of them on par athletically with SP. One of the issues I think for Shelby is everytime they step on the field for the last 3-4 years they simply out athlete everyone with the exception on Crest. RH SP plays 2 or 3 games every year against teams with just as much athleticism as they have. RH NW, ST. Frances, Buford, Mallard Creek, Vance, York, Rock Hill

Doesnt mean Shelby doesnt win. Just means its a pretty big step up.

This years Freedom team will be better, then we play a Ac team thats ranked high in top 10 this yr and loaded with talent, which lost in western finals last yr to Weddington.
Then yes a down Burns but county rival.
Then Crest which is always a heck of game.
Then KM. Another team on rise ,,loaded on offense and the last 2 are rivials also.
I think that's pretty stiff.

AC Reynolds, Kings Mountain, Weddington, Burns all very good programs and teams. Not my point. Shelby is elite athletically . Some years better than others but when they step on the field with 95% of the teams they play they are gonna be athletically superior 1-30. You can make mistakes, have some turnovers and in some cases win by 20 still because of that advantage.

None of those schools have 5-6 D1 athletes on one side of the ball like RH SP has or play fairly often. Buford probably has 8-10 of those kids. Most years RH NW has 6-8 as does Mallard Creek. They are used to competing with that . Shelby isnt.

D1 talent alone doesnt win games and in some cases it can be a negative ( too many mouths, too many toys) but the advantage Shelby has in most games simply wont be there in this one. At best its a push.

Ware will have Shelby ready to compete and defensively Shelby can play with anyone. Can they get points....its my only question.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Nobody will look at SOuthpointe and be blown away with their size. In fact I thought they were undersized at the Oline position. Tons of fast long athletes in the 180-220 range. Adams is undersized DE but is a monster. Great strength and plays with great leverage. I don't know where he plays at VT but he is a football player. Gilmore, Kendrick, Currence all fast with high football IQ's.

Blue &Gold i belive everything u are saying.
Lets be real, i a realist person, i belive in my team and coaches, but i also know we have uphill battle.
But we will do what we do, and want back down, if we lose its with pride.
If we win we keep adding to our Legacy

Reactions: SHS LION
As B&G said...our defensive will be huge and should be able to do their job. Ware will have a solution for Kendrick....

The difference in this game will be DaDa Brooks....could possibly be the best back South Pointe sees all year....and Yes I realize who they play. What do you think shelbyfan1? DaDa will be on a mission.....all year.

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
As B&G said...our defensive will be huge and should be able to do their job. Ware will have a solution for Kendrick....

The difference in this game will be DaDa Brooks....could possibly be the best back South Pointe sees all year....and Yes I realize who they play. What do you think shelbyfan1? DaDa will be on a mission.....all year.
u will show alot of PRIDE THAT NIGHT WITH A BIG LOSS..............................

Coach Ware says he (dada) working harder then bout anyone, and i went by dada house he says he wants 2000 yrds this year.
So yes i belive he will

To be honest the best back South Pointe will see are the two from Buford! One is going to Michigan and the other Tennessee I believe.

Certainly pulling for the Lions but they will have their hands full. Shelby may have the best LB group in both Carolinas and defense always gives you a chance. Doubt that Shelby loses to two SP teams in one year, so South Pointe (pronounced South Pointay) is in trouble.

Wannabecoach, u know nothing, we know we have a challenge ahead, but we got 5 games before it to play, and to get better.
I hear you talk bout Shelby in every breath, do u have a team to talk about?
Anyway, RH South Pointe will be facing a Stout D. Shelby has

In the news paper it said South Pointe doesn't have any leaders right now just a bunch of talent players playing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT