ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby vs South Pointe....thoughts

Early, and there are a handful of key players that neither team can afford to lose especially Shelby. If both are healthy I hope for a win or be within two tds.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Lower scoring. Both defenses excellent. Well coached. Shelby wont get a call in SC. Southpointe with one of the best kickers in the country. Big advantage with field position and FG. Shelby will have to go the distance to score.

Southpointe coming off huge game with Buford. Could be a let down game.

Thinking SP 20 Shelby 14. Long way off though. Could go either way with a injury or turnover.

Last edited:
Outcome of this game will have lot to do with how well offense line for Shelby develops durning weeks before.
We all know Shelbys D will be steller.
Even though these 2 teams have played several close games in 7 on 7, i belive game will be high 29s low 30s score.
Shelby 31- South Pointe 28

We have Elijah Adams VT commit who gave Mallard Creek nightmares! Nobody can stop Devion Kendrick! Our defensive backs are led by some of the top player in Sc 2018 and 2019 class!

Lower scoring. Both defenses excellent. Well coached. Shelby wont get a call in SC. Southpointe with one of the best kickers in the country. Big advantage with field position and FG. Shelby will have to go the distance to score.

I think the field position and the ability to kick long field goals are huge positives for SP.

How Shelby deals with the DL for SP is going be a big key.

My biggest worry.Plus just coming off playing AC,Freedom,Crest,KM,and Burns.

They play RH Northwesten, a good Nations Ford program, rivarly game with Rock Hill and one of the best programs in the country in Buford, GA. They have a long way to go before they get to Shelby. They could drop any of those 4 and are probably underdogs against Buford.....maybe

Outcome of this game will have lot to do with how well offense line for Shelby develops durning weeks before.
Even though these 2 teams have played several close games in 7 on 7, i belive game will be high 29s low 30s score.

I just cant see either team getting close to 30 on each other unless some early season injuries take place. Shelby may have one of the best linebacking groups in the southeast and when SP puts Kendrick in at safety they have one of the best DB groups.

Just too well coached and to much recovery speed for any fluke big plays.

Reactions: 72 State Champion
B and G...you have gained my respect. You post logical, sound football opinions. So many people are quick to judge, jump and bash. I like your approach.

Defense wins championships. I like our chances in this game. I think we will have a defensive scheme in place to combat Kendrick. I've heard we will be good on the D-Line as well. As is obvious you have to score to win and the goal in this game may be to just score because it is going to be really hard to do for both teams.

I think our offense could be electric. They just can't let the hype of this game get to them. Dada will be playing out of his mind this year. He is very tough to tackle and his speed out of the backfield is amazing....excellent receiver as well. I am glad Malik at qb has a year under his belt plus 5 more games before this one. Can't wait to see his poise and moxie this year and in this game.

Like I said...I like our chances. Could be an epic win for the most successful, sustained, winning football program in the history of NC high school football.

Keep sleeping on them other players. They have alot more then DK.
Quit sleeping on us. We're going to be explosive. You've been to enough 7 on 7s that we were in to know this. My brother just met you recently at the Powerade 7 on 7. As many Shelby players and fans you're cool with and interact with on Facebook, I was beginning to think you were an undercover Shelby fan, seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: coondog8585
Logically I think South Pointe will be dangerous regardless! I see DK being able to pass it just about anywhere because Shelby has great “blitzing linebackers not coverage. I didn’t see where the DB’s for Shelby were all that great but nice DL. Defensively South Pointe a traditionally dogs!!!! Knocked off a great Vance, Northwestern(sc), South Aiken(sc), Hartsville(sc), and Mallard Creek! We have Great defensive backs and a scary D-line and linebackers are young but have played varsity and after northwestern and Buford we should be fine even with any injuries but god forbid that happen to anyone!

Reactions: 72 State Champion
Logically I think South Pointe will be dangerous regardless! I see DK being able to pass it just about anywhere because Shelby has great “blitzing linebackers not coverage. I didn’t see where the DB’s for Shelby were all that great but nice DL. Defensively South Pointe a traditionally dogs!!!! Knocked off a great Vance, Northwestern(sc), South Aiken(sc), Hartsville(sc), and Mallard Creek! We have Great defensive backs and a scary D-line and linebackers are young but have played varsity and after northwestern and Buford we should be fine even with any injuries but god forbid that happen to anyone!

Lost to a average Vance team as well.

We will know a lot more about these two teams come September 22 with both teams playing extremely tough non-conference schedules.

You think your DEF is stellar until you run into D. Kendrick. I'm not a big 'they have that one guy' type person, but that one guy is better than anyone in NC or SC on a football field. Big Eli will dominate as well. I think SPe jumps out to early lead and cruises. They have way more than those two...but those are the two you will walk away from the game talking about.
SPe 38
Shelby 17 (maybe)

Lol. Right. Kendrick is good but he's a poor man's version of Rico Dwiedle who's now a rb at South Carolina. You RH ppl be careful this isn't your typical 2a school. Shelby players, coaches and community wants to be respected on a national level don't be shocked if they bust your bubble and beat you at home. I can guarantee you or your athletes wont intimidate them.

Y'all know I'm a Shelby superfan, but can I be honest? I see them outlasting us. No shame, they're good and a bigger school. I'm betting on a wicked physical first half, tied up 12-12. We wear down some in the second half and they get a late score to win it 22-15.

Lol. Right. Kendrick is good but he's a poor man's version of Rico Dwiedle who's now a rb at South Carolina. You RH ppl be careful this isn't your typical 2a school. Shelby players, coaches and community wants to be respected on a national level don't be shocked if they bust your bubble and beat you at home. I can guarantee you or your athletes wont intimidate them.
that’s what Vance and mallard creek said before they met Eli, Kendrick, and the whole south pointe team. We have the #1 kicker in the nation and stephon Gilmore’s little brother!

Y'all know I'm a Shelby superfan, but can I be honest? I see them outlasting us. No shame, they're good and a bigger school. I'm betting on a wicked physical first half, tied up 12-12. We wear down some in the second half and they get a late score to win it 22-15.
Yeah, that has been the case w/ us versus bigger schools in the past, Gaffney comes to mind. We'd go toe to toe w/ them, and tire later in the second half due to their depth and size, same applied to us versus some Crest teams. Generally speaking, that's what often happens when smaller schools play larger schools and classifications, period.

We have some quality, high character young men on this Shelby team. They want this challenge. They believe they can win. I certainly think they will compete.

Yeah, that has been the case w/ us versus bigger schools in the past, Gaffney comes to mind. We'd go toe to toe w/ them, and tire later in the second half due to their depth and size, same applied to us versus some Crest teams. Generally speaking, that's what often happens when smaller schools play larger schools and classifications, period.

We have some quality, high character young men on this Shelby team. They want this challenge. They believe they can win. I certainly think they will compete.

Last year the number of players on your roster was more than most of small 4A. Not saying the depth level is the same, but it looks like you get the most out of the elligble talent pool.

Last edited:
Last year the number of players on your roster was more than over half of small 4A. Not saying the depth level is the same, but it looks like you get the most out of the elligble talent pool.
True, we do, but the players are still bigger at larger schools. The all important lines, offensively and defensively, are much bigger. That's were the biggest impact shows, in the trenches, whenever smaller classifications player bigger ones.

It's not often that we get a 6'1 235 pound linebacker like Dax or Jalen Scott who you will be hearing about soon. The average 2A linebacker is probably about 5'10 180.

The best player on our team last season, Jayden Borders, was 5'11" 170. He was under recruited due to size, despite being one of the best receivers in the state w/ 4.4 speed.

Whats abput that receiver #5. Dude was a beast.

But to answer your question. Last year Mallard Creek struggled with spread/mobile qbs. Kendrick wasn't the only mobile qb to hurt them.

As I stated Kendrick is good but Rico was much better. Much faster and a much accurate passer. Funny thing is Shelby's defense is suited very well to handle mobile qbs. The way more film I watch. The more I'm liking Shelby's chances. Jaylen and Dax are a rare breed. Lol you'll see

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT