ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby vs Reidsville

Originally posted by CAVALIER DAVE:
well with my work schedule I did not attend any Cummings games this year and just have no been evolved with the school at all......only got to attend 2 games last year......new folks at Cummings don't even know who Cavalier Dave is or was......all good things always come to a end I can live with that........I will donate my six state championship rings to the school to put in the trophy case ....... but will pop up on here every now and then..................Dave
Us true fans know who CAVALIER Dave truly is.......I still have my one hundred dollar bill!

Dave is good people and always treated us well... Every time we went to Cummings or if I were on business trips out east for work I made it a point to ride by Dave's Wendys and see him and eat.... Always a class act..

"Where my manz and 'em at"... TGT, The Mule, Rambbq, and Stan? Shotgun Spread, what's good w/ you, young buck? I haven't heard from you since you told me to jump off a bridge in an earlier thread. Way too serious there, lil bruh. I have an APB out for you and The Ram Tough. You Reidsville guys are inauspiciously quiet. I guess it's a sign of respect for the quality of your opponent this week, them Shelby boys. It's mutual though, silence from the Shelby posters as well. You all were posting all day every day versus mighty Providence Grove and Polk County though.

Mule, question though. How come you don't have Reidsville favorite in this game? I have a memory like an elephant, and if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't it you that put everyone in 2A on notice at the very beginning of the season, saying that Reidsville would be the team to beat and may not lose a game, and quoted UNC Coach Fedora as saying, "Reidsville had a better recruiting year than UNC?", not in terms of actual recruits in regards to the Rams, but a few transfers that came in?
This post was edited on 11/26 10:03 AM by Lion Attack

The Mule said all year that Shelby was the favorite whether in 2A or 2AA....think he said Reidsville would be in the mix, (which we are)..Hope the weather is a lot nicer than the rain and 39 degrees which we have now....lol...

It is supposed to be cold around here again this friday nite...low in upper 20's but that's an improvement over the mid 20's it was during game time last week....

I really appreciate the Golden Lions fan base and the confidence that they have in their team. The intangible factor of this game will ironically be the shellacking the Golden Lions gave the Rams last year. The Reidsville coaching staff won't need to do too much motivational work this week. Our boys have pointing to this rematch for a year. Reidsville is a very physical team this year and I hope Shelby can match that physicality. My only fear is that the winner of this game will be so beat up that it will adversely affect them next week.

I'm predicting this game will end up like our game with Crest, very physical and low scoring. A lot of what we will be able to do will be based on Chad Reid's health and if we can slow down Reidsville's strong rushing attack. I noticed y'all ran for 400 on Polk. That's impressive against any team! I look for Reidsville to try and hit Shelby between the tackles and milk that clock. On a side note, QB play may determine this game on what I feel is probably two evenly matched teams.

It's just a third-round playoff game. What's all the hype about?

Originally posted by TGT:
Because both teams playing in this game know that there is a pretty good chance one of them will represent the West in 2A...unless Owen gets lucky...

Lion Attack im still hear just lurking in the shadows. Of course I have respect for shelby. Why wouldn't I ? Two of the greatest football teams will square off friday. So trash talk is pointless. My son plays for Reidsville and he said to me the other day "dad a good teams season is going to end this friday". This game really means a lot to him this year, because last year he got injured against Lincolnton in 4th qtr with a high ankle sprain, although he tried to play against shelby. He ended up going out for good in the 2nd Qtr. So he's been in a zone all week. Actually my son and the shelby's qb and linebacker. Are pretty good friends and have been talking on twitter all year. Gardner Webb is recruiting all of them. Shelby qb and my son talked last night. And wished each other luck. He actually told my son that reidsville looks strong on defense on film. So if two kids that's about to square off this friday can show that much respect for each other that makes all of us grown folks look like idiots with the trash talk on here. So that's the main reason I decided to fall back and let the game be decided on the field.

This post was edited on 11/26 2:33 PM by Stanimallector

Originally posted by crest91:
Originally posted by TGT:
Because both teams playing in this game know that there is a pretty good chance one of them will represent the West in 2A...unless Owen gets lucky...
91 ... that was a serious answer to a question that was meant to add a little levity to obviously a huge game between two of the best football towns in NC.

Originally posted by Stanimallector:
Lion Attack im still hear just lurking in the shadows. Of course I have respect for shelby. Why wouldn't I ? Two of the greatest football teams will square off friday. So trash talk is pointless. My son plays for Reidsville and he said to me the other day "dad a good teams season is going to end this friday". This game really means a lot to him this year, because last year he got injured against Lincolnton in 4th qtr with a high ankle sprain, although he tried to play against shelby. He ended up going out for good in the 2nd Qtr. So he's been in a zone all week. Actually my son and the shelby's qb and linebacker. Are pretty good friends and have been talking on twitter all year. Gardner Webb is recruiting all of them. Shelby qb and my son talked last night. And wished each other luck. He actually told my son that reidsville looks strong on defense on film. So if two kids that's about to square off this friday can show that much respect for each other that makes all of us grown folks look like idiots with the trash talk on here. So that's the main reason I decided to fall back and let the game be decided on the field.

+1

It goes without saying, many of the 'adults' on here are 'special'

Originally posted by HitmanT:

+1
Great post and good luck to your son.

there was a stretch when Reidsville had the longest winning streak in the country (I think it was 2007-2010) when we didn't hear a peep out of any loud mouth from Shelby...all of a sudden yall string together two good seasons and yall computers are working again...I cant wait til Friday so the Rams can bust every computer in the backwoods town yall call Shelby...

Besides the football teams both sort of looking alike, the towns themselves are probably pretty much the same...small town living at its best/// close enough to the big cities but not too close.......lol....safe travels to the Shelby crowd coming up...."Shelby Lion" are you gonna be able to attend the game??

rambbq posted on 11/26/2014...
Besides the football teams both sort of looking alike, the towns themselves are probably pretty much the same...small town living at its best/// close enough to the big cities but not too close.......lol....safe travels to the Shelby crowd coming up....

Exactly.^^^^

Where were all the Shelby posters 2006 thru 2012...did the computers stop working in Shelby or were yall stuck in "can't win crap ville"..please answer me that...

Game of the week regardless of classification IMO! I'll say "Other rams" 28 Shelby 21

We posted this last year. We felt it appropriate to send it again this year.

Well, well, well.

What have we here?

The Shelby Golden Lions at the Reidsville Rams.

The True Dynasty vs. The "Princeton" of NC High School Football.

The Most Successful, Sustained, Winning Program in all of North Carolina High School Football visiting the "No Show" Football Capital from 1971 to 2001.

And let's get this straight from the top. This ain't no "Rubber Game" resulting from 2005 and 2007 Title Game meetings, despite some previous Shelby posts.

First of all, it will take a lot more than defeating Shelby in another actual State title game to even come close to giving credibility to your bogus "capital" claim. The 31 consecutive recent years of Reidsville failing to even make the Title game eliminates that consideration.

But of course, leave it to you Reidsville faithful to try another of your usual "trick plays". As predictable as you are, a Rams win Friday over Shelby would probably launch you into another frenzy as it did after the 2007 win over the Golden Lions. Then, and only then, did you proceed with your bogus self-proclamation.

It will also not serve as any definitive "rubber game" for two other obvious reasons. It is on your field and it is not for all the marbles. We would, of course, see it the same way if Shelby was at home and, most importantly; this is regardless of the outcome of the game.

With all that clarified, we certainly respect Reidsville's program and overall history and relish with you the opportunity for Shelby and Reidsville; the #1 and #2 most-wins programs in North Carolina to face off in a rare meeting this Friday. We are confident that the Golden Lions have what it takes to win, as we are sure you feel the same for the Rams.

See you at "Princeton" Friday night.

Again clown where were you 2006-2012???...I see why you bump your gums so much...6 years worth of being irrelevant takes a toll I guess...now go back to your hole...and get ready to get smacked!!!

@Ramking2012, you do realize the last time Reidsville won a state title was in 2009. If you don't win it this year, you're going into next season, and it's 2015. Do the math, you clown.
This post was edited on 11/26 11:41 PM by Lion Attack

2006, believe Shelby was state champ after defeating Southern Vance in Winston Salem. 05,06 back to back

ramking2012 here are two posts from 2012. Enjoy.
And we were heavily involved on Rivals during our 04 to 07 title game run and thru your 2007 to 2009 win streak, challenging your weak level of competition, rarely playing up a classification, and in the weak East bracket. The "capital" thing came up once or twice.

Reidsville faithful, how does that feel?

I mean, really, not only did you prove to yourselves that you cannot honestly and factually claim to be "the football capital of NC", you statistically may not even be worthy of second place.

We do like you guys and we don't mean to disrespect, but it is a proven bogus claim. We keep reminding ourselves that "your politician went and got that for you". And we all know politicians don't tell the truth.

Now, quietly go and have that resolution rescinded as you know you must. Stop living a lie.

We will not publicize that. We will all pretend it never happened.

The records you mentioned above did.

Mule, we have been over this sooo many times now.

If your claim is ONLY regarding titles, even ancient ones, then Princeton University is the "Capital of College Football" with 28.

And most readers of this site don't even know where it is.

Along with that, Reidsville does have something else in common with Princeton. Several recent consecutive decades (1971 thru 2001) where you didn't even sniff a title game.

It is a bogus claim and you guys know it.

Once again, for readers new to this issue, Shelby does not claim to be "the football capital of NC".

That is for others to decide. But we know Reidsville isn't.

And so do they.

Nasram- You were not legitimately state proclaimed. You ran your usual trick play and had your state representative sneak it thru while others were tending to much more important issues. There was no discussion or debate, nor was there time for any for such nonsense. You might as well been going for your local TV station's "team of the week". Even your method of getting the resolution is suspect.

It is not a title for one city to claim as its own. If it is a title bestowed on one by an independent, fair minded, and informed broad based group, then so be it. Most in state government don't have a clue how their local programs stack up, much less can choose "the best". And they owe each other.

And finally, and this seals the deal, Reidsville had the most titles BEFORE Shelby defeated them in the 2005 finals, yet you waited until immediately after you defeated Shelby in the 2007 finals to pursue the claim.

If it was based on the number of titles, why the wait?

Because you knew you could not possibly make the claim with Shelby wearing the crown and having recently beat you. And if Shelby had won again over you in 2007, even with your titles after that, you would have never pursed the bogus resolution. The timing was priceless.

Self-proclaimed Dynasty? Dynasty is a word with a definition; "a family or group that maintains power for several generations". It is not a single decade run like Reidsville or Independence just had. It is for several generations. Reidsville had that from 1930 to 1970. But you can't go 0 for 31 from 1971 to 2001 and have no title game appearances and still qualify as a True Dynasty. Shelby has never had a gap like that. We played in the all-classification, everybody in title game in 1924. The Golden Lions lost the association state title game in 1944 and 1963, but were the Champs in 1947. And our performance in the NFL termed "modern era of football" since 1968 (44 years) is astounding and approached by no other program in the state. See the records at our website and we challenge anyone to prove we do not meet the definition. It is a definition earned, not proclaimed.

Rambbq- we were fine with the discussion until shotgun had to throw in the bogus claim. We don't start this, we end it.

Mule- Nice try. The Golden Lions have appeared in 7 Western Title games (semi-finals) out of the last 9 years, 2003-2011., missing out in 2008 and 2009. The last 2 years, we have led deep into the fourth quarter, only to lose heartbreakers on their fields to the EVENTUAL STATE CHAMPS. Can you say that?

And of course we made four straight trips to the finals 2004 to 2007, winning twice and losing twice. We don't win them all…….we just win more than anyone else.

What you need to wonder about, and this will keep you up at night, is how incredibly close the Golden Lions just came to back to back Title game appearances (and possibly two more titles) IN AN INCREDIBLE SIXTH CONSECUTIVE DECADE!

Game over

Classless?? You call US classless?!

As usual we will consult Webster;

Classless - adj. - boorish, crude insensitivity.

Has there ever been a better case of "crude insensitivity" than one writing and publishing a book entitled "Reidsville- High School Football Capital of North Carolina"?

Capital? Says who? The author? And he writes it after the Rams take the 2002 and 2003 split classification titles. What is odd about that? REIDSVILLE HAD NOT BEEN TO A TITLE GAME FOR 31 CONSECUTIVE YEARS FROM 1971 TO 2001 !! It is a completely bogus claim.

But there is more. And it is even a better case.

Curiously, five years later and immediately after defeating Shelby in the 2007 title game (Shelby had defeated Reidsville in the 2005 title game), the Reidsville faithful and their local representative, with book in hand, go to Raleigh and submit to none other than our State Legislators to proclaim Reidsville as "The High School Football Capital of North Carolina".

So all was considered in arriving at this claim, correct? Not hardly. Our State Legislators have more pressing matters. The proclamation was hurriedly approved in what amounted to a typical Rams trick play. No discussion. No debate. No analysis of any type. Crude insensitivity to others significantly more consistently successful. It was classless for sure, but we prefer to consider it actually completely bogus and untrue. A lie.

Their claim is based SOLELY on Reidsville's total number of state titles going back to the stone age of football, when they won their most. Not on wins. Not on overall playoff performance. Not even on winning percentage. Just titles, and mostly leather helmet ones. We have decided to name Princeton University, "The Capital of College Football" for a similar misrepresentation of the facts. Princeton owns the most National Championships. Who knew? There are other high school programs with double digit titles, and some with a higher rate of titles for their seasons played. At best, and again, primarily based on total number of titles, Reidsville historically qualifies as one of the better programs in the state. But certainly not the best. A program cannot go 31 consecutive recent years and never even make the title game and realistically defend their "capital" claim.

Why do we care? Not because we feel Shelby is the best. That should be for others to decide anyway. Not partisan fans and alumni. It bothers us because it is bogus claim and you know it, and it should never have happened. It is time for you Reidsville faithful to go and ask that the proclamation be corrected. If you have to, call yourselves "North Carolina's High School Football Titletown" , like Green Bay in the NFL. At least that makes some sense. The Golden Lions prefer to consistently earn and go by another definition. You Reidsville faithful already know it, and also know your "capital" claim timing truly depended on taking the crown from Shelby in 2007.

DYNASTY….and no one else is even close.

and my friends wonder why I like to go watch you two teams play each other....lol

Originally posted by ramking2012:
Again clown where were you 2006-2012???...I see why you bump your gums so much...6 years worth of being irrelevant takes a toll I guess...now go back to your hole...and get ready to get smacked!!!
2006 Shelby was 16 and 0,2007 Shelby was 14 and 2,2010 Shelby lost in the semifinals and 2011 Shelby lost in the semifinals.We were still around.Not irrelevant.

Does these clown really save posts that were made from Reidsville posters two years ago .,,man you obsessed with us ..,

A select few Shelby fans, not being satisfied with their impressive accomplishments, seek to enhance their team's accomplishments by attacking the records of other programs. '98 has been busy this week on the 4A board launch inning similar ad hominems aimed at Richmond Co. and Independence.

Attempting to prove someone else's wife is a whore doesn't make yours any more virtuous.

We are expecting a great game on Friday night in Reidsville. Last year's western final game has no bearing at all on Friday's game. In fact, I'm sure Reidsville wants to make amends for that performance by sending a message to Shelby this Friday.

I truly believe that we'll see the game come down to the 4th quarter if both teams bring their A games. If either brings their C game their season will end Friday night.

These two programs have such high expectations that someone on here mentioned Shelby being irrelevant from 2006-2012. Just to show how expectations can taint reality, check out what Shelby did from 2006-2012...made it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs all 7 years, 2 Western Finals losses, 2 State Championship games (including 1 title).

In the 6 years that Shelby did not win a state title, each game came down to the last possession of the game and was decided by 1 score. Bandys got a 2-pt conversion to beat Shelby in 2008, Salisbury came from 14 pts down in the 4th with the aid of an onsides kick to beat Shelby in 2010 Western finals, Shelby lost starting QB on the first series of the game and West Stokes scored with under a minute left to beat Shelby in 2011 Western finals. Some could argue that Shelby got bad breaks in both the 2010 and 2011 Western finals and would have gone on to the championship game.

Reidsville over the same time frame has 3 championships and 2 Eastern finals - pretty amazing stretch.

Shelby:
2006 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2007 - Lost in State Championship game to Reidsville 20-28
2008 - Lost in 2nd Rd to Bandys 21-22
2009 - Lost in 2nd Rd to Salisbury 26-34
2010 - Lost in Western Finals to Salisbury 14-21
2011 - Lost in Western Finals to West Stokes 29-32
2012 - Lost in 3rd Rd to Madison 21-28

Reidsville:
2006 - Lost in Eastern Finals to Cummings 21-39
2007 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2008 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2009 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2010 - Lost in 1st Rd to Randleman 35-38
2011 - Lost in Eastern Finals to Kinston 16-20
2012 - Lost in 3rd Rd to Carrboro 16-20

You mean to tell me Chapel Hill is telling SHELBY to go on the road ? This must be a misprint, and I foresee a protest by the Golden Kitties on the horizen. Kick them in they arses, Rams.
Reidsville by ten.

Physically beat down on each other so that if we win you have to forfeit to us lol. Just kidding be safe and hopefully we will see you next week. I know a lot of people are unhappy with the seeding process but our bracket has seed 1,2,3 and 4 in it so it worked well for us.

Originally posted by bralpa:

We are expecting a great game on Friday night in Reidsville. Last year's western final game has no bearing at all on Friday's game. In fact, I'm sure Reidsville wants to make amends for that performance by sending a message to Shelby this Friday.

I truly believe that we'll see the game come down to the 4th quarter if both teams bring their A games. If either brings their C game their season will end Friday night.

These two programs have such high expectations that someone on here mentioned Shelby being irrelevant from 2006-2012. Just to show how expectations can taint reality, check out what Shelby did from 2006-2012...made it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs all 7 years, 2 Western Finals losses, 2 State Championship games (including 1 title).

In the 6 years that Shelby did not win a state title, each game came down to the last possession of the game and was decided by 1 score. Bandys got a 2-pt conversion to beat Shelby in 2008, Salisbury came from 14 pts down in the 4th with the aid of an onsides kick to beat Shelby in 2010 Western finals, Shelby lost starting QB on the first series of the game and West Stokes scored with under a minute left to beat Shelby in 2011 Western finals. Some could argue that Shelby got bad breaks in both the 2010 and 2011 Western finals and would have gone on to the championship game.

Reidsville over the same time frame has 3 championships and 2 Eastern finals - pretty amazing stretch.

Shelby:
2006 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2007 - Lost in State Championship game to Reidsville 20-28
2008 - Lost in 2nd Rd to Bandys 21-22
2009 - Lost in 2nd Rd to Salisbury 26-34
2010 - Lost in Western Finals to Salisbury 14-21
2011 - Lost in Western Finals to West Stokes 29-32
2012 - Lost in 3rd Rd to Madison 21-28

Reidsville:
2006 - Lost in Eastern Finals to Cummings 21-39
2007 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2008 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2009 - State Champions (perfect 16-0 season)
2010 - Lost in 1st Rd to Randleman 35-38
2011 - Lost in Eastern Finals to Kinston 16-20
2012 - Lost in 3rd Rd to Carrboro 16-20
Amazing records by both teams in this most recent era and throughout history.

These records of wins may be a little off since information on the very early days of N.C. schoolboy football was limited, but here's what I have: Shelby 737 wins, Reidsville 697. Those numbers are 1-2 in the state. For state titles (including regional titles), Reidsville has 18 and Shelby 12.

Since the NCHSAA subdivided the playoffs in 2002, Reidsville has advanced to the final four every year except 2010 and 2012. The Rams are 6-4 in regional finals during that span and 5-1 in state championship games, the only state championship game loss coming to Shelby.

Another chapter in the two schools' great history will be written Friday night.

I haven't went nowhere Lion Attack I know shelby is good but I do believe the Rams will win this one. Be at the game at 6 tomorrow just left of the pressbox if you have any more questions.

Shelby could very well get beat..any team can any giving night..lets let the boys do the talking on the field.
all this talk on here heard it all last year too..And we know out come of it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT