ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby vs Reidsville

golden one

Oct 24, 2001
Two storied programs will be playing for the 4th time with Shelby with a 2-1 advantage in this seemingly yearly matchup as of late . Thoughts !

Originally posted by Shelby Lion:
We have to play substantially better next week to beat Reidsville this year
+1...you can say that again SL. I don't see Shelby beating Reidsville next week if they play like they did tonight. With that said, if Shelby steps up and plays like we all know they can (and limit the penalties) then I like Shelby's chances.

Should be a good one.

Sounds like Carver came more with trash talking than real fight. Glad the kids stayed cool.

Reidsville's 48-11 win over Polk was far from polished. 128 yards in penalties. Plus some screw-ups on special teams -- including a snap over punter's head and two blocked extra points. You won't get away with that garbage against a team like Shelby.

Perhaps both teams got to looking ahead a bit.

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
Sounds like Carver came more with trash talking than real fight. Glad the kids stayed cool.
We did pretty good keeping our cool but we sure lost offensive rhythm.We will have to have much improvement or we are going home with a loss next week.

Despite an endless amount of flags against Reidsville, the Rams beat the Simmons point spread for the sixth straight game, this time by 22 points.

Boy, that Simmons guy must be a VERY SLOW learner.
laugh.r191677.gif

We are sorry to our fellow Shelby posters but we're not really sure what game y'all were watching to say we played terrible. Shelby actually played a very complete game tonight from the coaching staff all the way to the trainers. Coach Ware had a great game plan coming into this one especially with the kicking game. Our defense played lights out and we were up 31-0 mid 3rd quarter. Its not like Carver was a push over team. They were 9-2 and on a 9 game winning streak. Played a close game with a #1 seed 4A team and whose only losses were to 2 4A teams. Really good chance had they beaten us they could have represented the West in the state championship. They had some very good athletes. Chad Reid had a heroic effort after twisting his ankle on his second play from scrimmage. Yes we had several sloppy penalties but overall we played a good game. Ussery ponied up when he had to. O-line did a good job. We are pleased with the effort tonight.

It should be noted that Shelby's two losses this season by a combined 13 points are to two teams that will be playing next week in the third round of the 3A playoffs...one having just knocked off undefeated Concord and the other unbeaten all year.

Originally posted by TheMule:
Despite an endless amount of flags against Reidsville, the Rams beat the Simmons point spread for the sixth straight game, this time by 22 points.

Boy, that Simmons guy must be a VERY SLOW learner.
laugh.r191677.gif
Can't wait to see the spread for next week. What are the chances the higher seed, home team is the underdog?

Originally posted by '98 State Champion:

We are sorry to our fellow Shelby posters but we're not really sure what game y'all were watching to say we played terrible.
I don't think anyone believes Shelby played terrible tonight. Clearly they play good enough to easily beat Carver and I agree with you that the coaching staff had a great game plan. Defense came to play tonight as well. However, there were too many penalties and turnovers for Shelby. It didn't hurt Shelby tonight...but they need to clean that up so it won't hurt them next week against Reidsville.

This post was edited on 11/22 12:22 AM by Golden_Lion_007

Originally posted by Shelby Lion:
We have to play substantially better next week to beat Reidsville this year....gonna be a tough one .
Good Luck to the Lions next week, Shelby Lion. If my Raiders hadn't made it, I might have been tempted to drive up the road a few miles to meet you and some of the other Lions.

Shelby by 14, I'm really thinking 20 though. Reidsville, despite running a spread offense, likes to run the ball more this season, and I can't see them being able to do that effectively versus our defense. Hammock and Raykin both have size and run w/ physicality, but they are far from burners. Hammock actually doubles as a nose guard. If we limit penalties and don't turn the ball over, we will handle business and advance to the 4th round.

Originally posted by Lion Attack:
Hammock actually doubles as a nose guard.
Actually Hammock has played very little on defense this season.
Rankin is the team's leading tackler from his inside linebacker post for the third straight season.

We are sorry to our fellow Shelby posters but we're not really sure what game y'all were watching to say we played terrible. Shelby actually played a very complete game tonight from the coaching staff all the way to the trainers. Coach Ware had a great game plan coming into this one especially with the kicking game. Our defense played lights out and we were up 31-0 mid 3rd quarter. Its not like Carver was a push over team. They were 9-2 and on a 9 game winning streak. Played a close game with a #1 seed 4A team and whose only losses were to 2 4A teams. Really good chance had they beaten us they could have represented the West in the state championship. They had some very good athletes. Chad Reid had a heroic effort after twisting his ankle on his second play from scrimmage. Yes we had several sloppy penalties but overall we played a good game. Ussery ponied up when he had to. O-line did a good job. We are pleased with the effort tonight.

It should be noted that Shelby's two losses this season by a combined 13 points are to two teams that will be playing next week in the third round of the 3A playoffs...one having just knocked off undefeated Concord and the other unbeaten all year.
I will agree that our defense played another fine game.I believe we had to many penalties,offensive line play was not good with RJ having no time and what in the world were we doing with our punting game.Bottom line is Reidsville will be a much tougher opponent.

TGT Rankin lead the team in tackles his freshmen year also so far this is his 4th straight year leading the team in tackles
This post was edited on 11/22 8:47 AM by Stanimallector

I always love going to watch these two teams play...especially after Thanksgiving because I go up the old way and enjoy looking at the Christmas lights...good luck to both teams next week...

Shs Lion. Lance knew Carver had returned a bunch of TDs this year on punts and kickoffs..so his
game plan was to make it where there were no way to return any kicks....
Great job by them.

Originally posted by shelbyfan1:
Shs Lion. Lance knew Carver had returned a bunch of TDs this year on punts and kickoffs..so his
game plan was to make it where there were no way to return any kicks....
Great job by them.
I understood that but punting it 5 and 10 yards does get it.That 4th down at midfield I even suggested just go for it but instead we had a 7 yard punt.

Carver knew the only way they could win would be with big plays so we eliminated that chance. Talked to wright after the game and he said he just missed that last one. Said his foot was frozen. I can't wait til Friday!!!

98, you are spot on with your assessment of Shelby/Carver game. Tell your fellow armchair quarterbacks to cool their jets. I wasnt there but the score and story in the paper tell the story. You beat a quality program regardless of their antics.

Good win.

Originally posted by ImaCrestFan:

98, you are spot on with your assessment of Shelby/Carver game. Tell your fellow armchair quarterbacks to cool their jets. I wasnt there but the score and story in the paper tell the story. You beat a quality program regardless of their antics.

Good win.
If you go and look at Carver's schedule you will notice they had a lot of close wins and some coming against teams that were not very good.They have some good athletes but none of them were in the backfield as I thought they were extremely slow.They may have ended with minus yards rushing.Not trying to be negative but we are not as good as last year on offense and we will have to play our best game to beat Reidsville.

Relax SHS Lion, You have too many weapons on offense and too much speed on D for Reidsville.

I would say good luck this week but honestly you don't need it.

Originally posted by Justafan56:

I was alot more worried about them last year than I am this year. Our defense is just absolutely incredible.

Originally posted by Justafan56:

I was alot more worried about them last year than I am this year. Our defense is just absolutely incredible.
That's crazy because our defense was playing in the playoffs last year just like they are this year.Reidsville is better this year and our offense is no where near as good as last year.

Originally posted by SHS LION:

That's crazy because our defense was playing in the playoffs last year just like they are this year.Reidsville is better this year and our offense is no where near as good as last year.
Confidence! ;-) I know these kids and they are more hungry this year than last. Plus Reidsville's toughest game was a Northern Guilford team that Crest handled easily during the jamboree (you can tell a little from a game situation scrimmage) and well....you saw how we hung with #1 3A Crest. As LionAttack mentioned earlier, Reidsville's schedule doesn't prepare them for the postseason. Looking forward for to his comments on this thread. LionAttack.....?

You're right....we're sorry...always have been...lucky to make playoffs...never play anybody...........but you guys still have to travel here...sorry about that...we should concede and let you have the home game because we don;t deserve to mentioned in the same breath with Shelby....what in the world are we thinking??

Originally posted by SHS LION:

Confidence! ;-) I know these kids and they are more hungry this year than last. Plus Reidsville's toughest game was a Northern Guilford team that Crest handled easily during the jamboree (you can tell a little from a game situation scrimmage) and well....you saw how we hung with #1 3A Crest. As LionAttack mentioned earlier, Reidsville's schedule doesn't prepare them for the postseason. Looking forward for to his comments on this thread. LionAttack.....?
98 you could teach a class on bulletin board material
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by rambbq:
You're right....we're sorry...always have been...lucky to make playoffs...never play anybody...........but you guys still have to travel here...sorry about that...we should concede and let you have the home game because we don;t deserve to mentioned in the same breath with Shelby....what in the world are we thinking??
You trying to be cute but Reidsville isn't going to beat Shelby this season. Reidsville has been talked up all year here but they're going to get a big dose of cold hard truth come Friday night.

You don't have to like it, but you will accept the reality of the preceding a*s whooping come 10:00 pm Friday

This post was edited on 11/23 7:36 PM by trendkill99

In the infamous words of Cavalier Dave ... I just hope we can score.

Mule...are u sure we're totally healthy??...how about #5 for the Rams..could hardly walk when he came to sideline. any word?

you can tell a little from a game situation scrimmage.

Sometimes you can but many times you cannot because a lot of teams use a scrimmage to find out a lot about their second string kids in a game situation.

Reidsville's schedule doesn't prepare them for the postseason.

Shelby only plays two teams of any significance. Reidsville also played two teams of significance.

This post was edited on 11/23 8:37 PM by No.1RamsFan

Hammock actually doubles as a nose guard.

One of the fastest HS kids I had on one of my teams was a nose. So, I don't get where you are coming from on this statement. Are you saying that because he is also a nose that relates to him being slow? He is probably a nose because he is able to cover from sideline to sideline. Being quick enough not to get blocked is an attribute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT