ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby High School

Get your money together, get your fan base support better, and quit making excuses why schools will not GIVE you charity to play them. National recognition comes with local support.

I spoke about this scheduling topic with an AD one night at a sporting event. His take on it was your coach and following has alienated many ADs across this state. Its true. But by all means keep presenting yourself as a school the same way and soon the whole state will not even answer the phone. MC is almost there. Good luck with your national prominence with eight games in the near future. You think people who dislike the tactics care if you call it fear, all the while the entire schools athletic funding continues to suffer?

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!.
You did not figure out MC's scheduling problems through @ 10 minute conversation with Phil Davanzo. You're not that smart. Palmieri is not making the calls. He leaves that to the AD. Has absolutely nothing to do with him alienating himself from coaches through out the state. Now you're making stuff up. If the game is not beneficial to the program, the game will not be played. It's works the same way with every program in the State. Not just Mallard Creek.

Mallard Creek funding regardless of the amount, has no interest in taking 15k out of it's budget to travel out of State for a game. Don't confuse funds available with funds willing to spend. So please explain to me when the entire schools athletic funds started suffering? You're trolling again!

Last edited:
All four schools were in the same class till the mid 80's and Crest moved to 4A which saw Crest greatly overmatched for a few years until some things changed internally with the program. Not sure right off hand what year Shelby moved to 2A, but I'm pretty sure Cleveland County didn't play years and years with 3 classes.

But his comment said since 2000. That would put 4 Teams in 2 classes with 3 being in one class. Let's be honest, in recent years, with exception of McDowell, 4AA west has looked like the Mecklenburg County invitational so wouldn't it stand to reason they have a pretty good chance of getting someone to the title game and then anything can happen. The stupid part of this thread is for somebody to get on here and complain about Cleveland County and its accomplishments because you have an issue with who they play. I wouldn't trade our football with anyone. Friday nights are still small town fun. The crowds are great. Watching the future Chargers, Golden Lions, Mountaineers, and Bulldogs playing on the hill and knowing that to these 6, 7, and 8 year olds are heroes that are 15, 16, and 17 year olds. I have nothing but respect for what Mecklenburg County or any where else in the State has done football wise. I just have a problem with trying to minimize what Cleveland County has done because of who they have played.

You're talking to the wrong guy, smashmouth. I wasn't the idiot that said that Cleveland Co was known for football championships and implied that Mecklenburg Co was not.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!.
You did not figure out MC's scheduling problems through @ 10 minute conversation with Phil Davanzo. You're not that smart. Palmieri is not making the calls. He leaves that up to the AD. Has absolutely nothing to do with him alienating himself from coaches through out the state. Now you're making stuff up. If the game is not beneficial to the program, the game will not be played. It's works the same way with every program in the State. Not just Mallard Creek.

Mallard Creek funding regardless of the amount, has no interest in taking 15k out of it's budget to travel out of State for a game. Don't confuse funds available with funds willing to spend. So please explain to me when the entire schools athletic funds started suffering? You're trolling again!

Who the hell is Phil Davanzo? And yes many conversations like these have come up. I don't live in your little backyard world. MC has no interest in coming out of the pocket for a national game? Then please stop the bullshit talk about needing national attention. If you haven't the finances the conversation is over.
If you aren't making money on football receipts the fact is the whole sports programs suffer. But you and your legions are the one's coming on here taunting Mallard Creek made the calls and everyone is scared. Its like going to a white table cloth restaurant and the manager coming over and saying "glad to see the less fortunate in here." They will not come back.

National teams don't lose to local schools in their own backyard, which MC did. They don't rally from behind in semifinals. You're a state champion program, nothing more, nothing less. You made your own point- "has no interest in taking 15k out". So its a mute point. Celebrate what you are, not what you think you are.

So you either had a conversation with the AD @ MC who happens to be Phil Davanzo or you had a conversation with a AD who is not affiliated with MC? Either one,you're to dumb to come up with a logical reason to who and what MC is attempting to accomplish. Dillon, Rock Hill(South Point) and Brynes and coming soon big program out of VA. Last i check, are all stiff competition. Stop with the stupid analogies. You have yet to make any since. You have proven on every post that you are clueless. How and Hell would you know anything about who's National?

National Team do lose to local Teams: Dematha lost to Gonzaga, Lasalle lost to Elder, Hell! IMG with 25 elite FBS guys on their roster, lost a game and there are many more. Please stop with the lecture's as if you know how it works. Just down right embarrassing!

It's like a guy looking at a Ferrari and can't afford a Corolla. Same old song. That athletic booster support must be really weak. Much like that Charlotte game ticket support. I've seen it. It sucks other than privates. If Mallard Creek has such a great ticket draw then the coffers should be full. I know a 2A school that always has $50,000 just sitting in the bank at the start of the year.

No sure what that has to do with my post you quoted? MC was willing to go play at Shelby or Crest and split the gate. That is standard on a one off or go home and home.

Here is my post that you quoted: They were willing to do a split the gate at Shelby or Crest. Since we then, I hear Ashbrook would have been glad to step aside for some cash as they could have set up another game and MC would have been glad to give up some of their split. I am not an MC guy but they have tried to schedule strong competition. I know for a fact they aggressively sought out games with Richmond and Scotland. I know they were in deep conversation with Colquitt County for a game in 2015. I do not base those statements on speaking with MC staff, which I did, but from speaking with staff from the potential opponents.

Clueless is you. 2500 students with relatives and 2A schools in rural areas pack the house and raise money all year with fundraisers. Lazy and self centered comes to mind.

Metro Charlotte has one million people, how come Mallard Creek doesn't draw 8000 every week being the state champions? Seems odd. BIG DREAMS, NO FINANCES. At least 4 of you posters go to the game. Real money machine. Maybe the government has a grant.

Most people in Cleveland County went to one of the four high schools and high schools sports are a focus in the media (radio and newspaper). In Charlotte many people are transplants and did not attend a local high school or they were forced to attend a few due to busing and redistricting as have some of their children. When a person goes home to Shelby or Newton Conover there is a good chance they will go to a home football game. Not usually happening in Charlotte. The percentage of the newspaper focused on a school's sport is extremely minimal as is the radio. Two different worlds.

National teams don't lose to local schools in their own backyard, which MC did. They don't rally from behind in semifinals.

I can assure you that those two things do happen to some of the best teams in the nation.

Having a conversation with Godsevilgo about Football in NC.
images
lenovo3.jpg

You need to bring your logic up to date, or just shut the hell up!

Who the hell is Phil Davanzo? And yes many conversations like these have come up. I don't live in your little backyard world. MC has no interest in coming out of the pocket for a national game? Then please stop the bullshit talk about needing national attention. If you haven't the finances the conversation is over.
If you aren't making money on football receipts the fact is the whole sports programs suffer. But you and your legions are the one's coming on here taunting Mallard Creek made the calls and everyone is scared. Its like going to a white table cloth restaurant and the manager coming over and saying "glad to see the less fortunate in here." They will not come back.

National teams don't lose to local schools in their own backyard, which MC did. They don't rally from behind in semifinals. You're a state champion program, nothing more, nothing less. You made your own point- "has no interest in taking 15k out". So its a mute point. Celebrate what you are, not what you think you are.

Needing National attention??? Don't need, already have. Thanks for the advice but we are doing just fine. Preseason ranked in the top 10 last year by every major poll without having to spend $20K to do so.

The fact that you think nationally ranked squads don't lose on their home turf is comical. Happens every year... shows how little you know.

Dematha lost to Gonzaga were top 10 in the country at the time

RH Northwestern lost to Byrnes

Grayson loses to Roswell

That's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head

No sure what that has to do with my post you quoted? MC was willing to go play at Shelby or Crest and split the gate. That is standard on a one off or go home and home.

Here is my post that you quoted: They were willing to do a split the gate at Shelby or Crest. Since we then, I hear Ashbrook would have been glad to step aside for some cash as they could have set up another game and MC would have been glad to give up some of their split. I am not an MC guy but they have tried to schedule strong competition. I know for a fact they aggressively sought out games with Richmond and Scotland. I know they were in deep conversation with Colquitt County for a game in 2015. I do not base those statements on speaking with MC staff, which I did, but from speaking with staff from the potential opponents.
Just too comical Btango. "He guys we will come play you if you give us your money or you can just keep all of it and play someone else." That's too funny. More btango logic. Just like Chazz Surratt is an average basketball player. Master of the layup you said, right. Stick to football Google history.

Just too comical Btango. "He guys we will come play you if you give us your money or you can just keep all of it and play someone else." That's too funny. More btango logic. Just like Chazz Surratt is an average basketball player. Master of the layup you said, right. Stick to football Google history.

Exactly how a guy who does not know what the Hell he's talking about responds. I'll just make stuff up and see if it sticks. If you don't know just say it! Stop pretending.

Happens all the time. Fun to watch a guy who clearly has zero idea about how the process works ramble on about it. Continue on with your thoughts please..

LOL well you can put a cat in the oven but that don't make it a biscuit...

You can use a picture of cute little kid wearing eye black as your aptar it's still does not protect you from being smashed for saying stupid stuff. LOL

Not familiar with the analogy. Here is the deal. By any measure you want to throw out Mallard Creek is a,nationally recognized program.

- Have been ranked in multiple national polls both pre and post season that last 3 years.
- Schedule and play other national ranked teams.
- Have a apparel contract with Under Armour.
- Maybe a handful of schools in the Southeast outside of Florida have put more kids in Division 1 programs over the past 5 years
- Multiple mentions on ESPN, NBC and the NFL network during prime time broadcast last year.
- Invited and finished 4th at National 7 on 7 competition at Hoover, AL.
- UNC and NC state annual hold practice on the Mallard Creek facilities.
- Rivals and Nike Opening camps held at Mallard Creek facilities

Everyone is welcome to their opinions. I will just stick with the facts. We don't call ourselves nationally prominent. The people who matter do.

Reactions: hokiemtc and nepsy7

I replied to your post where you wrote that I called Surratt a "layup player". Go back and read it.

Here is how high school football games usually work when it comes to contracts:
1. We will play you at our place in 2015 and travel to you in 2016.
2. You can come to our place and we will work out a financial arrangment which is normally a gate split of some percentage.

Do you think Crest or Shelby playing Mallard Creek brings a much larger gate and concessions than TC Roberson or Ashbrook? The additional profit probably comes close to offsetting the pay out.

Not familiar with the analogy. Here is the deal. By any measure you want to throw out Mallard Creek is a,nationally recognized program.

- Have been ranked in multiple national polls both pre and post season that last 3 years. And are dropping rapidly because you lose a couple during season
- Schedule and play other national ranked teams. And lose to them
- Have a apparel contract with Under Armour. Yipee we have one with Nike, big deal
- Maybe a handful of schools in the Southeast outside of Florida have put more kids in Division 1 programs over the past 5 years And cant even beat Byrnes nor Hough with them
- Multiple mentions on ESPN, NBC and the NFL network during prime time broadcast last year. Yipee, maybe Langston Wertz or Channel 3 can give you a mention award
- Invited and finished 4th at National 7 on 7 competition at Hoover, AL. Props on this one, but its 7 on 7 a scrimmage, big deal did you get a we're number four foam finger?
- UNC and NC state annual hold practice on the Mallard Creek facilities. Yay yet you cant get 150 people in the stands on a Friday night
- Rivals and Nike Opening camps held at Mallard Creek facilities We got the WORLD SERIES what you got... ok I stepped out on limb on this one

Everyone is welcome to their opinions. I will just stick with the facts. We don't call ourselves nationally prominent. The people who matter do.

Fact is, you are right, yall are scheduling a few big boys, but until you actually beat them... Just realize what GDG posted above, you are a NC state champion nothing more nothing less.... That sir, are the facts....

This is fun ......

Fact is, you are right, yall are scheduling a few big boys, but until you actually beat them... Just realize what GDG posted above, you are a NC state champion nothing more nothing less.... That sir, are the facts....

This is fun ......

You're from Shelby you don't get a Vote...real fun

This is fun ......

Actually we are the #33, #27 or #37 NATIONALLY RANKED TEAM. Depending on what non-bias site you are looking at. That sir is a fact. What you have is a opinion. .Now, I like you and I always enjoy your posts but if I have to choose between Max Preps, USA Today, Dallas Jackson, Jeff Fisher, ESPN, ABC, NBC, NFL Network, Under Armour and about 40 NCAA Head coaches and Shelby Lion....guess who I am going with.

Tell ya what. Why don't you make the ride out to The Creek this Sunday. NIKE ( that's the one with the swoop) will be putting on their regional Opening . Get to see what it's like when the top players from 4 or 5 states gather on your field and compete. I assume your boy Dax will be there like he was last Sunday. Come on out and get a taste of what big boy ball looks like. I'll buy ya some wings after.

MaxPreps Final 2015 Small Schools National Football Rankings

1. (last time 1) Trinity Christian Academy (Jacksonville, Fla.), 14-0, 66.7Florida 3A State Champion

2. (19) Central Catholic (Modesto, Calif.), 16-0, 61.3California Small Schools Open Division State Champion

3. (13) Trenton (Fla.), 14-0, 59.9Florida Class 1A State Champion

4. (12) Heritage Hall (Oklahoma City), 15-0, 58.7Oklahoma Class 3A State Champion

5. (2) Coldwater (Ohio), 15-0, 57.5Ohio Division V State Champion

6. (10) Canadian (Texas), 16-0, 56.9Texas Class 2A-Division I State Champion

7. (NR) Brock (Texas), 16-0, 54.5Texas Class 3A-Division I State Champion

8. (NR) Elkhorn South (Neb.), 13-0, 53.1Nebraska Class B State Champion

9. (4) Amherst (Wis.), 14-0, 52.9Wisconsin Division 5 State Champion

10. (6) Scotus (Columbus, Neb.), 12-1, 52.6Nebraska Class C1 State Champion

11. (24) Belfry (Ky.), 14-1, 51.1Kentucky Class 3A State Champion

12. (5) American Heritage (Delray Beach, Fla.), 10-3, 50.3Florida Class 3A State Runner-up

13. (NR) Chenango Forks (Binghamton, N.Y.), 12-1, 50.1New York Class C State Champion

14. (NR) Aquinas (David City, Neb.), 12-1, 49.6Nebraska Class C2 State Champion

15. (NR) Caledonia (Minn.), 14-0, 48.4Minnesota Class 2A State Champion

16. (NR) Waskom (Texas), 16-0, 47.9Texas Class 3A-Division II State Champion

17. (NR) Bishop McNamara (Kankakee, Ill.), 13-1, 47.7Illinois Class 3A State Champion

18. "(20) Dilllon, SC 14-0, 47.7South Carolina Class AA Division I State Champion"

19. (3) Marion Local (Maria Stein, Ohio), 13-2, 47.3Ohio Division VI Runner-up

20. (NR) Cazenovia (N.Y.), 13-0, 47.3New York Class B State Champion

21. (NR) Bishop Guilfoyle (Altoona, Pa.), 16-0, 47.1Pennsylvania Class A State Champion

22. (15) Collins (Miss.), 15-1, 46.6Mississippi Class 3A State Champion

23. (17) Cameron Yoe (Cameron, Texas), 14-2, 46.3Texas Class 3A-Division I Runner-up

24. (NR) Lafayette Central Catholic (Ind.), 15-0, 46.3Indiana Class 1A State Champion

25. (NR) Appomattox County (Appomattox, Va.), 15-0, 46.2

DUDE WINGS?????? Im there...... :)

I couldn't even get a bite with the "We got the World series, what yall got" ???? I must be losing my touch.... Ha ha ha

Good luck gang, regardless of the nonsense I post, I honestly hope what Mallard Creek is doing does nothing but help NC football as a whole..

I'd rather go to Northlake Mall and watch your residents gun each other down. Draws a bigger crowd.

Coming soon! 2017, Battle of The Border, Starting off with 3 Teams:

Dillon vs Shelby
Crest vs Rock Hill South Point
Mallard Creek vs Dutch Fork or Northwestern .

Games played on Saturday @ UNCC: 12 noon, 3pm & 6 pm game time.

You can use a picture of cute little kid wearing eye black as your aptar it's still does not protect you from being smashed for saying stupid stuff. LOL

Watch it clown that's my son your talking about there....Don't make me send him down there to show yall what real linebacker/fullback play Is :)

Watch it clown that's my son your talking about there....Don't make me send him down there to show yall what real linebacker/fullback play Is :)

Your son has Stud written all over him. I can see him now playing at The Creek :)

I'd rather go to Northlake Mall and watch your residents gun each other down. Draws a bigger crowd.
You don't need to come here to see people being gunned down. Cleveland Co's 6.2% murder rate is one of the highest murder rates in the entire state, and puts to shame anything that has ever happened at Northlake Mall.

Stay home and enjoy the show happening all around you every day and save yourself the trouble of a road trip.

Hate to break it to you but their your residents as well. Trust..plenty of Cleveland county travelers in Northlake on the weekends. Probably has something to do with nobody opening an actual retail establishment there since 1974. I guess that's why people move TO Charlotte and move away from Shelby..

I don't live anywhere remotely close to Cleveland County. Never have. I'm close to you neighbor.

Last edited:
No chest beating! It is what it is. In 2009 when the Creek was trying to win State Championships. There was a lot of laughter. You don't play anybody! Weak schedule! Coaches can't Coach. 3 State Championships later. Next step National top 5. Started off the season ranked in the top 10 Nationally last 2 years, Tough schedule last year. Fell Short. Started really putting it together at the end of the season. It's a process! I can assure you Mallard Creek will make top 10 team Nationally decades before Shelby or Crest schedule a elite team anywhere.
Well regarding Shelby and the Creek both on the down low are suppose to be in contact with the organizer of the Corky Kell Classic in Atlanta for the 18/19 season. Here is an opportunity for both to bring their game to the "A" to play with the big boy's and see where they are in comparison to top teams in Georgia. So we will see if they make it happen. Later.

Hey Shelby Lion, I guess you are still coaching youth football. I have a coaches bag, drill cones, and two or three blocking dummies in the garage from my coaching days. Let me know if you are interested in the stuff and I will drive down that way and give you the stuff. Would love to meet you since we didn't connect at the Crest vs Shelby game. Maybe it will help bring the Burns program back when your son gets to high school and whip the Shelby Golden Kitty Cats. But it's not gonna be next year, it's a four peat.

Actually we are the #33, #27 or #37 NATIONALLY RANKED TEAM. Depending on what non-bias site you are looking at. That sir is a fact. What you have is a opinion. .Now, I like you and I always enjoy your posts but if I have to choose between Max Preps, USA Today, Dallas Jackson, Jeff Fisher, ESPN, ABC, NBC, NFL Network, Under Armour and about 40 NCAA Head coaches and Shelby Lion....guess who I am going with.

Tell ya what. Why don't you make the ride out to The Creek this Sunday. NIKE ( that's the one with the swoop) will be putting on their regional Opening . Get to see what it's like when the top players from 4 or 5 states gather on your field and compete. I assume your boy Dax will be there like he was last Sunday. Come on out and get a taste of what big boy ball looks like. I'll buy ya some wings after.
I will be out at Mallard Creek Sunday with my nephew. Looking forward to seeing all these beasts in one place!

I would want to play them if I were Clinch County but that was not the question. In a hypothetical scenario you are the person that is going to select the representative from Georgia to play the very best team from Texas or California, you would select Clinch County to represent the state? I feel confident that would not be the case.

I am all for Shelby traveling to play a team in Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, or any destination or any high school team getting the opportunity to travel and play a game. More prefer Shelby playing a top team from SC such as Dillon as it is an even comparison of the two states football classifications. I think most people are more interested in seeing NC v SC unless they are from the northern or far western border areas with Tennessee and Virginia. With that said, I would prefer to see Shelby and Crest play Mallard Creek.
If Clinch County has the better team than a Colquitt County,Camden County, or North Gwinett and hypothetical I was to pick a team to represent Georgia then more power to Clinch County go and do your thing. I just don't look at the number of players on a roster because most of it is dead weight so to speak anyway just to look intimidating to the team with lest players I look at the totality of the whole team mind set and capability on the field. Now back to Shelby and Mallard Creek both AD's and head coach at both schools have Mr. Hunter phone number if they are serious about trying to play in the Corky Kell Classic in Atlanta to test their true strength of their football program if they want to play on the national level. They suppose to be talking regarding the 18/19 season classic and if the fans in both area of Shelby and Mallard Creek would continuously put the question to the power to be maybe one day they will with constant pressure from their fans step up and make something happen. Sometime to get to the next level you are going to have to spend some money to get their before you start making money in the future. Later.

I doubt very seriously any team from NC feels that playing in the Corky Kell will get you to next level. Where ever that is? They all can stay home or cross the boarder into SC and get the same games.

If Clinch County has the better team than a Colquitt County,Camden County, or North Gwinett and hypothetical I was to pick a team to represent Georgia then more power to Clinch County go and do your thing. I just don't look at the number of players on a roster because most of it is dead weight so to speak anyway just to look intimidating to the team with lest players I look at the totality of the whole team mind set and capability on the field.r.

How do you determine who has the best team if they do not play? Are you taking Colquitt in 2015 to rep the state or are you taking an undefeated state champ from a lower class?

NC schedule runs on two year contracts. 2017 is the first year of the next scheduling period. A team that wants to schedule a one off in 2018 will need to be careful on how they set their 2017 schedule and doing so with no promise for a game in 2018 unless the CK would contract a year ahead. People I have talked to in GA do not see the Kell cutting back the number of GA teams so they will need to expand.

I prefer to see NC teams go after the best games they can in SC first. Mallard Creek has did a great job with Byrnes and now South Pointe. This season should be year one for SC's contract period which has been a problem in some instances in the past.

Reactions: shutdownD24
NC schedule runs on two year contracts. 2017 is the first year of the next scheduling period. A team that wants to schedule a one off in 2018 will need to be careful on how they set their 2017 schedule and doing so with no promise for a game in 2018 unless the CK would contract a year ahead. People I have talked to in GA do not see the Kell cutting back the number of GA teams so they will need to expand.

I prefer to see NC teams go after the best games they can in SC first. Mallard Creek has did a great job with Byrnes and now South Pointe. This season should be year one for SC's contract period which has been a problem in some instances in the past.
I agree with wanting to see more South Carolina vs North Carolina matchups especially classification against classification. This would be great on a lot of different levels I believe.

A trip to the Corky Kell would be great if it makes sense financially. I am always up for a night in Buckhead. However there is no reason to break the bank because of a perceived " next level".

Plenty of great games to be had inside of 200 miles of Charlotte. Even if they don't get a great opponent for WK 5 they are already playing one of the tougher schedules in the Southeast minus Florida. Especially when you consider Dillon, Butler and RH Spointe are all on the road.

As a fan and supporter I am thrilled with the jod Palmieri and Davanzo have done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT