ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby / Carver updates

Originally posted by JoPastillmyhero:
Quite embarrassed as a Carver fan and alumni by the pregame antics and during the game. When I Attended Carver 2000-2004 never had to do stuff like this unless it was a rival like Dudley or N. Forsyth usually both sides participated. If I coached I wouldn't allow such behavior, Carver has a rich football tradition and that doesn't need to be included. More than likely it fired the Lions up even more, major back fire. And I was there for that Ashville game that wasn't a pretty game.
Sounds like you are a good fan and poster and your exactly right as I do believe it fired up Shelby more than they already were.

The coach for Carver played in the NFL as a receiver. With that experience its hard to believe he would allow this kind of thing before the game. You need to sneak up on teams that are favorites not motivate them.

Originally posted by kingbluedevil:
The coach for Carver played in the NFL as a receiver. With that experience its hard to believe he would allow this kind of thing before the game. You need to sneak up on teams that are favorites not motivate them.
But that's exactly how they act in the NFL. It's much easier to observe now with the on field mics.

Carver sounds like they treat every game like a rivalry game with extra antics. It probably wouldn't be so bad if they exhibited more sportsmanship during the game. On the positive side the announcers said there alot of handshakes, pats on the back, and hugs after the game so it seems to have had a gentleman's ending.

Let someone tell it who was ACTUALLY on the field last night. I'll address what was said in the order the events happened. Our coach brought the players through Shelby's side unbeknownst to the other available entry. We ourselves as coaches entered through Shelby's gate without incident and NO one said anything in fact we engaged some of the Shelby coaches at the gate. What u seen our team do in pre game with the coach is something we've done every game at our goal post. Did we turn and begin to talk and say things toward Shelby? Yes we did and Shelby had NO problem jaw jacking and responding the same. Were we at midfield? Absolutely BUT so was Shelby and their coaches were right there in the middle and also did nothing to keep it from happening. Their players met ours too and we chalked it up to some good ole' fashion talking before the game. Neither staff at least to us saw nothing wrong and we even kidded about it during hand shakes. It's debatable whether the antics fired up Shelby but I believe they were ready to play anyhow. I've read this board for years and only today am I disgusted enough to join and set the record straight about Carver. A REAL supporter of Carver would understand that's how we've always done pre game but know Coach Crowell is attempting to build a class program. A real supporter of Carver would understand and seen that Shelby's kids were playing physical and got up jaw jacking at our sideline every bit as much as we did. Did we back up our talk? Absolutely NOT!! But we also tipped our hats to Shelby and moved forward. Believe me things are changing at Carver but it's a cultural change that needs to take place not just the football program. Watched our coaches work to the bone taking kids home from practice, feeding them, going to tend to situations beyond football (family). No issue with u guys talking about how we got taken 2 the woodshed but I won't allow people who DONT really know be it Shelby homers or so called Carver supporters disparage what I KNOW they're attempting 2 change at Carver. Anyone with good sense and eyes saw both teams engage at midfield. It's amazing how many people talk football apparently DONT really know football otherwise u would've recognized exactly what happened last night A PHYSICAL BALLGAME. Again Shelby congratulations and we at Carver tip our hats to u and continued success next Friday night. U can question coaching decisions fine. U can question other things as well as it comes with the territory but I draw a line when u talk about having class. The same assertions ur making about Carver from some of u alls perspective we could make about Shelby but we understood it 2 be football and nothing more. We would've been ignorant 2 believe pre game antics would intimidate a 6X State Champ!! It was just fun between young men gentlemen really!!

This post was edited on 11/22 3:22 PM by Veejay4

Guess I'm from a different generation....I don't believe jawboning back and forth between high school kids is called for

The game itself is what players and coaches need to focus on..........

Make your statements on the scoreboard. Ever seen a mouth gain a yard or make a tackle?

My comments weren't about right or wrong but you're perspective toward what happened before the game. Had we won we'd be saying the same to you. I responded to your perception that Carver was considered classless based on what some of your "homer" post perceived as gamesmanship by us before the game. Only when I stated that that Shelby were willing participants do u all NOW say jaw jacking never wins games and etc.... I even joked to a coach last night about staying off the message boards because they're gonna kill us BUT I again took exception 2 the notion we're classless. Of course were all from a different generation and I can agree with some of what u all said but too attribute some pre game banter and physical play to us being classless is unacceptable. If u read my original post we never made excuses or justified the pre game antics nor did we figure any advantage would be attained. Whatever era or generation u played in because u didn't participate in a certain pre game manner doesn't make it wrong. It never crossed anyone's mind there would be fisticuffs when talking transpired at midfield. It's called the game within the game if we or Shelby and anyone else could gain a psychological advantage over someone in pre game then why not? Again keep it to our butts being handed to us we readily admit that but our young men are NOT a bunch of hooligans as some seem to allude to. It would be no more fair than to assume Shelby's program lacks class because of some of the things we heard on the sidelines last night also. Again don't make it any more or any less than what it truly was and that's harmless banter. It's always a few in any fan base that take things further than they need to go. By the way we addressed our kids at half time on the very same thing. If ur talking we sure as heck need 2 be walking in it and we didnt. Again much respect to the Shelby program. Lets keep it as such. Still waiting 4 someone 2 address Shelby's participation in the pre game back and forth. Only when I put the real out there did we move on to the scoreboard comments. If it was good to call out Carver u gotta call Shelby on it too but we (Carver) understand. Been dealing with it all year.

This post was edited on 11/22 5:24 PM by Veejay4

Lol.............Does that make you or your program feel better?...You must be a coach...and your right u havent posted on here....
IF u feel what happened at mid feild was justified due to something Shelby did then whatever..
But I was on our sideline when your no.4 and no 17 were jaw jacking with players and even our coaches during the series that play had been stopped.....And if u think our coaching staff lets this go on ....then im sorry but it dont...I saw coach Ware move players back on sideline..he also yelled at our players that if any opened there mouth they be sent to field house.....But in all facts. Comming into Shelby to disrespect us is dumb to do....

Man Vee jay where you been all week, I needed you haha. Like I said we've done stuff before games and the other team participates. The way it was presented we were the only ones participating in the talking. But clearly it wasn't that serious if there was mutual respect after the game. I can understand during the game, the opposition is that the opposition. With Coach Crowell coming in I can see we will be competitive on a consistent basis and I think next year will be the year we make it deep in the playoffs contending for a state title. This game against Shelby will Mos Def build experience and motivate the guys into next season. Now it's time for Raslin season, mat room is calling my name. #CarverNation

Pretty much like the world on the street. Shyte talkers do so because they aren't tough enough to back it up and hope you will submit. No smack talking team ever rises to the big game. Posers at best. But nice eloquent post sir, just not popular with programs that consistently win without being drama queens.

Originally posted by shelbyfan1:
Lol.............Does that make you or your program feel better?...You must be a coach...and your right u havent posted on here....
IF u feel what happened at mid feild was justified due to something Shelby did then whatever..
But I was on our sideline when your no.4 and no 17 were jaw jacking with players and even our coaches during the series that play had been stopped.....And if u think our coaching staff lets this go on ....then im sorry but it dont...I saw coach Ware move players back on sideline..he also yelled at our players that if any opened there mouth they be sent to field house.....But in all facts. Comming into Shelby to disrespect us is dumb to do....
+1

Let me say it slowly once and for all. Its apparent comprehension of what I stated is at a minimum. As I stated in a previously EASY to read post no one intended for what happened to be a tool of intimidation or disrespect. With the exception of Dudley, Tabor and I believe West Stokes no one engaged us in pre game banter like u all did last night. It was fun old school pre game at its best before people began to take fun out of football on every level. Again, it was nothing more than playoff excitement at its best. U talk about our players engaging ur players on the sidelines? Thats exactly what ur players were doing on our sideline but the difference is in the perspective u all present the details in. I would tread lightly on using the word dumb when clearly my explanation of the events that happened does NOT reflect your perspective. That word dumb could be tossed around quite a bit. I appreciate the coaches and the vast majority of Shelby followers that were more than accommodating to us and were first class but again u have those select few that sneak through in anyones fan base. Read the post carefully before u comment please!! I never justified or said we attempted to intimidate, disrespect anyone. The comment about drama queens is hilarious but really speaks to the ignorance some are clueless about with what REALLY goes on the football field. Again some choose to engage but some don't. Like I said I won't let a couple blind homers attempt to displace the fault of participation of teams AND coaches on one program. U say ur coaches don't condone that activity them last night was a first. Joepa I love most of the folks and content on here but I just drew a line when our class came into play and no one knows any of these coaches and players and who they really are. I really have a problem with the so called supporters who come on here with one foot for Carver then back up this nonsense SOME of the jokers were spewing. If that's a Carver supporter we don't need it. We have enough issues already trying to right the program. U can actually take a page from Shelby supporters on how to rightfully support a program. I will credit them for that. I simply stated another perspective of what happened from our vantage point. I thought homers were just blind but at a deficit comprehending too!! SMH

This post was edited on 11/23 12:31 AM by Veejay4

I'm just getting home for the weekend as I decided to stay in Charlotte after the game. Let me first congratulate Shelby on a thorough win. We were beat in every phase of the game! When I got to the game both teams were already into their pregame warmups so I can't comment on anything happening pregame. Now I'm very familiar with our pregame and we do "get crunk" to excite ourselves and if engaged we will willingly participate in trash talk. Again I wasn't there this past Friday but I've seen us in the past. Now during the game I witnessed alot of trash talk from both teams and my only problem was with our kids talking trash and we were getting our butts kicked. Trash talk isn't void of the game and to be honest it doesn't bother me to an extent. Cause the best way to deal with trash talk is the next play. So I too have a problem with our class being questioned but at the same time I couldn't understand us talking while we were getting creamed. Now please don't take my opinion as saying that trash talk is good, I'm just saying that I don't have a problem with it. So on to Bball and I will be back next year.

Utbb01..nice post...theses are 14-15-16-17 year old kids.
so im sure trashtalk going happen...I also agree dont undrrstand when your getting beat why keep it up... I still belive let your play on field do the talking...Anyway its all over good luck in BB.

This post was edited on 11/23 12:49 PM by shelbyfan1

I think the problem with all the extracurricular antic and severe trash talk is it encourages bad behavior. If these kids are encouraged by coaches to show their butts trying to intimidate an opponent then shame on the coaches. They are not preparing these kids for life after football.

Kids today need to learn how to win and lose with class.

I thought game officials were clamping down on taunting, showboating and stuff like that? Any flags thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct during the game?

TGT, officials for Shelby/Carver did not have enough sense to get out of a shower of Shyte.

Uttb1 and Shelbyfan1 I can roll with your accessments of what took place and Shelbyfan1 I also appreciate u seemingly be able 2 c it for what it was. Uttb1 we've played teams and were handing it to them and some of their players continued talking 4 whatever reason. Thats an individual thing and thats definitely the culture now led by ESPNs self promoting antics. In the end these are 14-18 years olds as suggested and they don't always do as we ask of them. I dont agree with the poster that trash talk brings on bad behavior or whatever was expressed. Trash talk is as much a part of football as anything else but as with anything done in excess or the wrong time it can b perceived differently.

This post was edited on 11/24 9:02 PM by Veejay4

N/M link removed due to inappropriate language.
This post was edited on 11/24 3:03 PM by Lincolnton

Originally posted by utbb01:
I'm just getting home for the weekend as I decided to stay in Charlotte after the game. Let me first congratulate Shelby on a thorough win. We were beat in every phase of the game! When I got to the game both teams were already into their pregame warmups so I can't comment on anything happening pregame. Now I'm very familiar with our pregame and we do "get crunk" to excite ourselves and if engaged we will willingly participate in trash talk. Again I wasn't there this past Friday but I've seen us in the past. Now during the game I witnessed alot of trash talk from both teams and my only problem was with our kids talking trash and we were getting our butts kicked. Trash talk isn't void of the game and to be honest it doesn't bother me to an extent. Cause the best way to deal with trash talk is the next play. So I too have a problem with our class being questioned but at the same time I couldn't understand us talking while we were getting creamed. Now please don't take my opinion as saying that trash talk is good, I'm just saying that I don't have a problem with it. So on to Bball and I will be back next year.
Well put, bro. I share the same perspective. I didn't make it to this game due to having to work, however, I talked to a couple of kids who absolutely loved everything that took place that game, the whole atmosphere of it all. They spoke of how they had never been so hype for a game, and that they were both very much willing participants whenever they saw the Carver players approaching. The pre game thing, along with you all's amazing band, made it a memorable night and experience for many of these kids. The important thing is that good sportmanship was displayed after game, w/ the players dapping each other up, shaking hands, and showing mutual respect for one another. Maybe, it is a cultural thing, but at least there were no actual fighting like you so often see on ESPN in baseball games and hockey matches, which are so often dismissed as "Boys will be boys" and not anything negative and sterotypical. Anyway, you bros take it easy. I'm sure we will be seeing more Carver versus Shelby games in the future, two historic powerhouse football programs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT