ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby, back to back Title Games for six decades.

'98 State Champion

Nov 29, 2007
Last year, after the Title game, the Shelby Golden Lions, for the SIXTH consecutive decade,

had won the State Championship. But Shelby High's football history just got more

remarkable and unique. No other high school program in the state had even been to the

Title Game in each of the previous FIVE decades. And Shelby had made it multiple times to

the Title Game in each of those previous decades.

But now, with this weekend's trip back to the Title game, the Golden Lions have set another

record that may never be broken and is even more amazing. What do 68-69, 74-75-76, 86-

87-88, 97-98, 04-05-06-07, and 13-14 have in common? All were years of Title Game trips

and all were back to back. FOR SIX CONSECUTIVE DECADES. #1 in the state with 12 Titles

in 20 appearances over the past 47 years. Based on that, the Golden Lions HAVE

AVERAGED making the Title game 43% OF THE TIME, and winning it all 26% of those 47

years ! Shelby's playoff winning percentage, #1 in the state at 80% over that same period,

indicates they average making the Title Game EVERY PLAYOFF YEAR!

An unbelievable run of sustained success by anyone's standards. No one else is even close,

in any classification. Congratulations to Head Coach Lance Ware, his staff, and a great

group of players for maintaining Shelby's statewide football dominance into this current

decade and next generation.

Now might be a good time to remind all readers here that we do not create our posts in an

effort to be boastful or braggarts. We present factual information to support the definition of

The Shelby Golden Lions as The True Dynasty in North Carolina high school football. We

actually liked it better years ago, before all the social media took over, when programs were

known by reputation. But unfortunately, in today's media frenzy, if you don't speak up, the

truth can be buried by the want to be's. That is also why we quickly respond to others initial

posts, claiming positions they have not earned. We accept corrections, as you have

observed in our previous threads.

Always impressive, one thing I don't understand:

You say we have averaged reaching the title game 43% of the time.

The next sentence you say we average reaching the title game every year.

Can't be both.

Originally posted by whitemilesdavis:
Always impressive, one thing I don't understand:

You say we have averaged reaching the title game 43% of the time.

The next sentence you say we average reaching the title game every year.

Can't be both.
Great question miles...

In ACTUAL HISTORY, Shelby has played in the Title Game 20 times in the last 47 years. That is 43% of the actual games played.

80% is the playoff winning percentage for Shelby over those same 47 years. Winning 4 of 5 playoff rounds, or 80 %, puts you in the title game every time. 5 of 5 is 100 percent. We don't win them all. We just win more than anyone else.

Oh Ok, so you are saying the years that we make the playoffs, we generally go to the title game. Is that it?

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade as Shelby has a great program but a couple of things about the original post are wrong. Swain County has won at least 1 state title in each of the last 5 decades (79,85,88,89,90, 01, 04,11) and holds the highest playoff winning percentage regardless of classification in NC. We also played in 3 more title games but we don't like to talk about those. Shelby is a top notch program and not trying to compare little ol 1A Swain to Shelby just throwing out a couple things to discuss.

Re: Shelby, back to back Title Games for six decades.
ReidsvilleRam90 posted on 12/9/2014...
Sustained... Translated means....we're playing catch up.

18>12

Can't believe you're in here talking after the two ass whippings we've put on you guys 2 years in a row. Didn't score an offensive touchdown in either game. Enjoy Shelby repeating as chsmpion this weekend.

I like to use the old drag racing mantra, you are only as good as your last trip down the track. The last time dow n the track, you pulled away from us down the stretch.

That does not change my point, you are playing catch up.

18>12

And if my math is correct, and you guys win Saturday....

18>13

I think Shelby wins on Saturday and I will be rooting for them. But I wouldn't call that game a butt whooping, I know we didn't score a offensive td, but we were still right in the game.

Reidsville, Swain, Shelby == 3 great programs over the years

If we like Factual Information, then you forgot a major one...

Fact: NO ONE CARES OUTSIDE OF SHELBY. NO ONE.

Great accomplishments, don't get me wrong, but a few of you Shelby fans need to get over yourselves.

There are too many wonderful people and fans from Shelby to let a few ignorant cornholes give all football fans a bad name.

From last year:

Nice catch Swain County fans, and we certainly meant no disrespect to your outstanding program.

But a point of clarification may help you understand our statement, and defend our "no one else is close" position. A "decade" is 10 years, no matter how you slice it. Most consider that a new decade begins with a year ending in a zero. While Swain County also has a title game appearance in the 60's (1964, a loss), and one in the 70's (1979, a win), that is a 15 year gap and may be why you Swain Co. fans only considered 1979 to 2012 as your "five decades". In our reference to the previous "five decades" we appeared from 1963 to 2007, with no more than a 9 year gap between appearances. Now, in 2013 we are here again for a sixth consecutive decade. While that is a record Swain Co. can't go back and fix, we certainly give huge props to your program as next behind Shelby in sustained success for generations.

With that understanding, it is the overall consistent performance within those six decades that clearly separates Shelby from other successful programs. In Swain Co.'s case, you won the title 8 times in 12 appearances from 1964 to 2011. And both the appearances and the wins were evenly spread over that period. Shelby has won the title 11 times in 20 appearances from 1963 to 2013, also evenly spread over the years. Hopefully we add a 12th title Saturday.

While you may not want to consider Swain Co. a distant second, you must agree it would take decades to catch the Golden Lions under the best conditions. Thus the "no one else is close" position. And we haven't even mentioned that Shelby is #1 in all-time wins, appeared in the 1924 state title game and own a 1947 State Championship.

The good news is, you probably are in second place in historic sustained success. Robbinsville has 12 titles, but none since 1992. Murphy has 7 titles in 12 appearances from 1961 to 2012, but was a no show from 1997 to 2009. Thomasville has a deep history. Reidsville has the most titles at 18, but was a no show from even an appearance from 1971 to 2001, 31 consecutive years. That is why we challenge their "Football capital of NC" bogus claim. And of course the "johnny come lately's" that think their recent success gets them in this conversation. Independence, Butler, even SW Onslow with tremendous recent success had no titles before 1999. And Shelby's bitter rival Crest had no titles just twenty years ago.

But Richmond Co posters get the prize for biggest boasters with the weakest record. Only 6 titles from 1978 to 1998 and a gift win over Britt in the title game of 2008. Yet they claim to be the historically best program in the state. Just ask them. They love to make the case that 4A football eliminates the lower classifications claims because Richmond Co would defeat them. With that absurd logic, there are some higher classified schools in the state that would beat them- UNC, NC State, ECU. Meanwhile, lately they keep going out in the second round of the playoffs and posting nonsense on the 4A board to keep the Richmond Co. name on the "new" list. Other than 2008, Richmond Co. has been irrelevant for the last 15 years. And they know it.

Could you please provide playoff results proving that Swain's playoff winning percentage is better than Shelby's.

Is it all about the rings or is it all about the also-rans?
Also-rans are not bad but the they don't hang the big banners or reserve the prime spots in the trophy case for seconds.

Re: Shelby, back to back Title Games for six decades.
The Ram Tough posted on 12/9/2014...
If we like Factual Information, then you forgot a major one...

Fact: NO ONE CARES OUTSIDE OF SHELBY. NO ONE.

Great accomplishments, don't get me wrong, but a few of you Shelby fans need to get over yourselves.

There are too many wonderful people and fans from Shelby to let a few ignorant cornholes give all football fans a bad name.

Funny thing is, you Reidsville guys are the same way. Rambbq posts that same thread every season, "Winningest Programs Since 1999" to beat his chest regarding Reidsville being on top, AS IF ANYONE OUTSIDE OF REIDSVILLE CARES. If you ask me, the Reidsville and Shelby posters mirror each other.

Great accomplishments, don't get me wrong, but a few of you Reidsville fans need to get over yourselves.
There are too many wonderful people and fans from Reidsville to let a few ignorant & hypocritical cornholes give all football fans a bad name.

This post was edited on 12/9 10:29 PM by Lion Attack

Championships are the only thing that matter, I've never felt happy about the end of a Reidsville season that didn't end with a win in a state championship game.
"If you're not first you're last" - Ricky Bobby

Great accomplishments, don't get me wrong, but a few of you Reidsville fans need to get over yourselves.
There are too many wonderful people and fans from Reidsville to let a few ignorant & hypocritical cornholes give all football fans a bad name.

This post was edited on 12/9 10:29 PM by Lion Attack
Wasn't referring to you. You do not discredit and disrespect the accomplishments of every successful team in NC history. Your trash talk is fine.

Yes, there are some Reidsville fans that return the disrespect, but if you are insinuating that I am in that minority, you are mistaken and/or can not read. I do not post essays and troll message boards with belittlement to any team that could contend for the mythical, valueless, "who really cares" title of dynasty, capital, or all out craphole of NC just to show off admirable achievements of my school.

Lol... All good, Ram Tough. *electronic dap up*

This post was edited on 12/9 11:57 PM by Lion Attack

Hey...,leave my name out of this thread....I have nothing to say and nothing but respect for all the top programs in NC...Shelby is certainly one and so is Reidsville...Good luck Sat....As I stated earlier...I'm still pulling for you guys.........

i don't think this counts 2013 though. Shelby may have passed Swain with last year and this year. Idk

This post was edited on 12/10 1:45 AM by Deana_King

HS playoff records

Hey that's great, a lot of programs have a tremendous playoff legacy, but come Saturday, it's just history. This is 2014 and these guys on both sides are interested in writing their own history. Don't know about your guys but our guys are #ringchasing!

Originally posted by Deana_King:
i don't think this counts 2013 though. Shelby may have passed Swain with last year and this year. Idk

Thanks Deanna.

Originally posted by Deana_King:

Deana … These NCHSAA records are flawed. One needs to look no further than the column for ties. Have there really been that many co-championships?? I believe they've had playoffs in the championship games since 1972.

I know for a fact, they've got Reidsville's record wrong with the 58-23-1 mark. There was one co-championship in Reidsville history -- the 0-0 game with Brevard in 1963 (but this listing is since 1972). I went back and checked (and Ram BBQ please double check), but Reidsville's playoff record since 1972 is 58-22 (73%) counting this year -- that's 27 appearances with 5 state titles. If you don't count this year, it's 26 appearances and 56-21.

The listing in the NCHSAA record book has Reidsville with 27 appearances and 23 losses (and the mysterious tie). With five playoff runs ending at 5-0, the most losses a team can have in 27 appearances is 22.

This post was edited on 12/10 2:32 PM by TGT

This fellow is obsessed with RSHS... Ya think?

Since Richmond Senior is a baby school (born in the seventies) and he wants to use stats from the beginning of time maybe he should research Rockingham HS they might have a few championships (first one in 1924). Hamlet HS might have some too I don't know... Rohanen even has one.

http://www.nchsaa.org/sports/record-book how many times is Shelby mentioned (could it be a mediocre team playing worse than mediocre completion)?

I think Shelby is a school with a rich football tradition - that being said I don't see Gardner-Web beating UNC either.

I think Shelby is a school with a rich football tradition - that being said I don't see Gardner-Web beating UNC either.
Are you saying Richmond has more scholarships to offer than Shelby?!? Weird comparison.

http://www.nchsaa.org/sports/record-book how many times is Shelby mentioned (could it be a mediocre team playing worse than mediocre completion)?
I don't understand this link either, or what it supposed to mean. In the football records, Shelby is mentioned 6 times vs Richmond mentioned 9 times. That said, 4 of Richmonds records were for Michael Wadell Touchdown returns. What are you trying to prove with this?

Pretty much all schools are consolidated schools - especially the ones that go by compass points in their names. Other examples are like Richmond Senior. Others became one school at the time of integration, i.e., Shelby merged with Cleveland, Reidsville with BT Washington in the late 60s.

Obviously the schools that kept the town name in such a merger have an advantage in the record books over the ones that changed names. If Richmond had just kept Rockingham HS as the school name ??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT