ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby 14 Freedom 7

Shelby Lion

Oct 3, 2002
Dirty Ankle, NC
Well what to say, glad to come away with a win after this one

Freedom led 7-0 until late into the third quarter... Gone is the "never trailed" mantra (which I'm glad of, no more pressure there" I believe it was an interception for a TD for them

Our defense played pretty good all night... Offense was stymied throwing the ball...Freedom put some pressure on our QB sacking him several times... New O line needs work... Da Da Brooks ran it well all night well over 100 yards...

We moved it down around their 30 a couple times early with no points, and several dropped passes, at least one a sure TD...

Freedom is vastly improved...We've got some work to do but we will be ok

Great game patriots, good luck rest of way

First off, Shelby Lion, if you have some form of contact w/ GDG, please tell him that I look forward to another occasion to formally meet him. He was one of my favorite posters on this site during his time on it. He introduced himself to me, I didn't realize it was him until he left, I was in La La land and lost my voice from all the dropped passes.The game was surreal to me, seriously. I couldn't believe what I was seeing out there. A win is a win, though.

Playing in the two back to back jamborees was a huge mistake, three total in a week. In that last Jamboree following the CC Jamboree, we sustained injuries to key players that I wasn't aware of until tonight. Isaac Greene gone for 8 weeks with a bum shoulder, Dax injured his ankle, and re injured it tonight. Receiver, Maleek McMullens, torn ligament in his pinky.

Credit to Freedom, too, though. They are vastly improved under their new coach.

Bright points, They never scored against our D.
I agree no pass rush on corners, and need more beef up front. Got pushef around some. Still good showing by D, with Dax on bench 2nd half.
Well we see ee got a running game, again, we have couple backs to go too.
And we showed not to lay down ehen behind tonight.
Other then that, we need work, back to drawing board.
Coaches will work it out, but we gotta do it fast.
Injurys worry me already.
Hats off to Freedom they were ready to play

Bright points, They never scored against our D.
I agree no pass rush on corners, and need more beef up front. Got pushef around some. Still good showing by D, with Dax on bench 2nd half.
Well we see ee got a running game, again, we have couple backs to go too.
And we showed not to lay down ehen behind tonight.
Other then that, we need work, back to drawing board.
Coaches will work it out, but we gotta do it fast.
Injurys worry me already.
Hats off to Freedom they were ready to play
Isaac Greene was some missing beef up front. Young man is a workout warrior, and weighs 240 now.

We miss Michael "Lil Boo" Carson pressuring the quarterback, too.
Yea we had him and Clay Husksey back to back and got spoiled. I am concerned that our back 7 will have to make a lot of tackles. Our Front four on D consists of 4 DE's and it shows with lack of penetration. Another concern for me is that Freedom is made up with a lot of soph and juniors starting, and they seemed better at execution than us.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Losing the whole line and all of our receivers was tough after all. I'm glad we won. Maybe we can get our expectations a little more realistic now. This ain't going to be easy.

Good game Freedom. Looks like you've got a good coach and a lot of talent in the pipe.

Reactions: seadog28
I have a concern for our defensive line. So we lost a sophomore defensive tackle to East Rutherford in Tywon Hill because one of the coaches wanted a smaller defensive line? I'm not a coach but it baffles me

Seriously?! Whatever, I'm done with this pansy bull crap. Losers lose, winners win, and there is going to be people who find that offensive. You win. I'm done with all message board liberal dictatorship. Best of luck to all fans....if you cuss your kids, just know, that doesn't make you a bad parent. I'm done.

Last edited:
Reactions: seadog28 and btango
Sometimes an early season scare is a good thing. I dont care how great the coaching staff is. They are 16 and 17 year olds and they can read. Everyone talking about " best team ever" has an effect.

Bet Ware has everyones attention om Monday.

Great game. Freedom had this for 3 quarters but failed to put it away. Both teams will do very well this season.

I posted awhile back that we lost 13 starters and they all were good players and the process for this team will take awhile. .I believe the Oline will improve with game experience and I believe the wide receivers will get better with routes and catching the ball.Defensive front worries me more than anything with lack of size and penetration.LA you said you were humbled last night and I believe a lot of others were too.We have been so spoiled the last few years and it gets in your mindset we are never going to loose which we didn't last night but it showed this team will go through some growing pains but hopefully down the road everything will work out.Go Lions.

Your seldom right on anything , but this time may be an exception.

You're

I'm the one who said Huss would give you trouble last year. :D

3A is the king of all classes this season. Your 3A games will most likely be losses and struggle wins at best if you get a win. Rock Hill South Pointe will crush you. You can win small 2A or 2AA, but there will be very few running clocks if any in 2AA.

Last edited:
Reactions: HitmanT
Welcome to the party, Chopper! My Shelby friends have put up a unified front, but saw reality last night. I'm not trying to be an a hole, but the Lions have their hands full, multiple losses are conceivable across the board. That said, the champs did what they had to do. A win is a win.

Reactions: Chopper747
Great game. Freedom had this for 3 quarters but failed to put it away. Both teams will do very well this season.

Pats, the plays that weren't made last night are coming soon. Hell, JBB can't Coach, throw and catch too! After last night, the process will accelerate. If I'm JBB, I congratulate the kids for their effort, but rip em a new one for the lost opportunity! High standards equal high results!

Oh and btw, how was the reception on the radio? Might have been hard to hear at a Burns game. Lol :)

Give me a break, if it wasnt for the take away, from shelby rec, and a 20 yrd run in endzone, Freedom wouldnt have scored.
Dax on bench 2nd half.
And lets not forget the 3 dropped passes for tds.
Dont get me wrong, Freedom much improved team, and seemed to want it more.
But we are going get better and better.

sf1, lighten up the grip my brother! Exhale and then kiss the ground saying, thank you, thank you thank you! Free advise.

Lets not forget the three times Freedom was inside the 25! Remember guys, brand new offense, wait till about week 6 or 7 and lookout.

Pats as i said, much improved team Freedom is, for yrs with the athletes you guys have fielded should have been much better, but we all knew coaching was your problem.
But in our defense, no excuse how we played,boys acted as if they didnt wanna play, ive always said i hate when there not in school.they like staying up late.
But again our starting DE was out, and Dax on bench 2nd half.
Our O line not to par yet, coaches will get us better. Good luck to Freedom rest of way.

Pats, I want to officially apologize for being wrong. However, we both know the outcome should the game be on the schedule say the middle of September or later!

Reactions: patsfball
What kind of shoulder injury does Greene have and how is the Axe doing?
i don't know, I was looking for Greene, and there he was with his arm in a sling. A guy that I ran into during halftime told me that he was out for 8 weeks due to a shoulder injury, didn't specify. Young man is a player with a great work ethic, 240 pounds now, and just a junior. I was told The Axe has a high ankle sprain, those can linger for awhile. McMullens, who had the ball taken from him, is wearing something on his pinky, which has a torn ligament. These guys got injured in that last scrimmage. That scrimmaged too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT