ADVERTISEMENT

Shall we go there

South View from about 1975 to like 1981 was a laughing stock. Usually went winless in conference and might win 1 game a year.

I've seen some bad teams but I've also coached with some idiot head coaches which leads to bad teams. I'm not going to name any names but once we were playing a very good team and they started the game kicking off to us. We ran 3 plays and with a negative result. So, we send in the punt team and of course it got blocked. Two plays later, they score. They kick off to us again and the same result happened, 3 plays and it's fourth down. I called for the punt team and the head coached overruled me and sent in a dive play right up the middle. I went nuts and called time out. The head coached was furious at me for calling a time out. (I figured he had lost count of downs). I told him it was forth down and we needed to punt. (here is where I realized the guy was nuts). He told me, "Punt? Why do you want to punt? I didn't work last time?". I just walked off...

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
Garinger: They just never have done much and they have some decent talents but just a revolving door there.

North Iredell: They have fallen on hard times past 3-4 season. 3 0-11 season in that span. North Iredell #s overall are down. I think North Iredell would be better in 2A.

Walkertown: Never been impressed with them. They aren't worst team in the world but they are not the best either.

Draughn, East Burke, Foard, Enka, and few others are all known not to be Powers in the football world.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
East Gaston, year before last. Worst HS defense I believe I've ever seen. Last year new Head Coach, more of the same. We'll be on our 3rd Head Coach in 3 years, this year.

Reactions: egwarrior65
Come on man!
Chris, I remembered the years they had before Carson was built. They had some good solid teams. I respect their program and would like to see them get back the use to be. I remembered the last really good season they had I seen them beat AL Brown back in 09 at their home stadium. I may even watch them play this year. HS just down the rd from me.

1998 Bessemer City
1999 East Gaston
2000 East Gaston
2001 Fred T Foard
2001 RS Central
2013 Parkland

In SE NC in the 4A ranks Ashley HS has to be one of the consistently worse programs in the state. In 19 years they have a 57-151 record, thats a 3-8 average record. They have 1 winning season in school history which was in 2004 when they went 8-5. They have 1 season with 5 wins which was their second best season. Things really have not progressed like everyone would have liked. Look at their stats from their 1st year to last year.
2001- 0-11 Avg points scored 4 -Avg points against 50
2019- 0-11 Avg points scored 4 -Avg points against 33

In SE NC in the 4A ranks Ashley HS has to be one of the consistently worse programs in the state. In 19 years they have a 57-151 record, thats a 3-8 average record. They have 1 winning season in school history which was in 2004 when they went 8-5. They have 1 season with 5 wins which was their second best season. Things really have not progressed like everyone would have liked. Look at their stats from their 1st year to last year.
2001- 0-11 Avg points scored 4 -Avg points against 50
2019- 0-11 Avg points scored 4 -Avg points against 33

Why is that? Back in 2015 Mooresville went to Ashley HS for a Baseball Tournament but I will say - Its a very large HS and Its baseball field was One of nicest i have seen but it is very large but Idk how their football field is but U would think Football would be a priority there since they have a nice facilities and they are large HS.

Why is that? Back in 2015 Mooresville went to Ashley HS for a Baseball Tournament but I will say - Its a very large HS and Its baseball field was One of nicest i have seen but it is very large but Idk how their football field is but U would think Football would be a priority there since they have a nice facilities and they are large HS.
Demographics’ interest.

• North Stanly during the late 1990's-early 2000's
  • Piedmont prior to Rusty Jester's second stint there
  • Garinger has been pretty weak most years.
  • Atkins is currently struggling

As mentioned, demographics are a factor. AHS demographics are similar to Hoggards. AHS has been able to complete is all the girls sports as well as boys basketball and baseball and many boy sports. Baseball has been really good until a few years back they have dropped off. Their facilities are great. As for football, they had some good players their first 5 seasons or so but because they didn't win the better talent has made their way to greener pastures. Just this year alone, NH's best WR and RB actually played at AHS before leaving. I thought Jeff Turner would be able to build something during his time but he just did not have the players. Not sure what the answer is. Someone is going to have to make a connection with the middle school kids about staying and building a program. Myrtle Grove Middle has great talent year in and year out so there is a chance. The record is misleading. AHS typically plays a weak non conf schedule trying to build the boys up before conf play, which I get. The MEC has been weak since the split conf was created. Most years they not only win just 3 games but they have one of the weakest scd in 4A. Its not just that they don't win, they don't compete against average or good teams.

A bit off the topic and not even the right sport but I will post the question here. I read or heard somewhere a few years back that the Westover baseball team had not won a single game in over 8 years before they finally broke that streak with a win. Does anybody know if this is actually true? If so I would imagine there were probably a number of forfeits in that streak and if true would that be the longest losing streak in all of NC high school sports?

Pinecrest was downright horrible for a few years as mentioned above, they nearly shut down the program as rumored back then. They are a little better now .

If we are looking from a cumulative standpoint, I’d have to go with South Davidson and perhaps Bartlett Yancey. Yes, B-Y went like 8-3 this past season, but it was the absolute weakest schedule I believe I have ever seen.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
McDowell is 50-154 since the 2002 season. They have had 1 winning record which was 8-4 in 2012. The have 2 zero win seasons and two 1 win seasons. They have made the playoffs 5 times because they were the only 4A team in their conf.

Ben L Smith had some tough ones from 2004-2008 don't think they won more than 2 games in 4 years. Those loses were always in the 35+ point range.

Can anybody shed light on my question about the Westover baseball team? Ive tried to google it and research it myself but without any success.

Central Davidson’s nearly 4 year losing streak deserves a mention. They are now on their way back to mediocrity though. They won a few games last year.

This begins and ends with a coin toss between Chatham Central and South Davidson..... Sad to say these two programs own the worst records in all of NCHSAA football. They are 1A so many of you aren't familiar with them. Add in the clown show at North Stanly, 1A/2A and you have another entry into the mix. I think there are less than 10 total combined playoff appearances between the three schools in their 60+ years of existance. And this is 10+ years in with damn near every school making the playoffs.

A bit off the topic and not even the right sport but I will post the question here. I read or heard somewhere a few years back that the Westover baseball team had not won a single game in over 8 years before they finally broke that streak with a win. Does anybody know if this is actually true? If so I would imagine there were probably a number of forfeits in that streak and if true would that be the longest losing streak in all of NC high school sports?

Westover was 3-172 from 2010 - 2019. They were winless from 2011 through 2017.
They won 1 game in 2010, and split with EE Smith in 2018 and 2019.

http://ncprepsports.net/baseball.htm

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Bartlett Yancey. They are pretty much terrible every year. They had a good team this past season but not a very good schedule.

In terms of varsity teams I've seen 2 super bad squads in person. I filmed this one on the broke tri-pod we had then. Up first is this Atkins team we played in 2015. We had them for homecoming as North Wilkes dropped us late in the pre-season and they were open. They played us tough for like 2-3 minutes because we weren't wide awake but once we did we put them away super fast. We scored 3-4 TD's in less than 5 minutes of game time.. first play we scored; then they epically messed up a punt and didn't bother to lay on the ball, it was sad. I couldn't even enjoy the homecoming stuff.. it's like when a nerd tried to fight a bully and even the bully's like "Man give it up please."

They scored 16 points on the bench somehow but we threw the ball in the 3rd because the clock was running and we were trying to stop scoring. If we had ran it we woulda score 62. We kept throwing to our fastest kid who couldn't catch it to save his life. They brought 10 people and the band.. they barely made a sound even when they score. Their intro had no fight music or people clapping.. it was very surreal. They had no luck that year; Mount Airy scored 72 on them a few weeks later and they had JV kids in.

I'll give Coach Hamlin there a lot of credit; he's really went through a lot of stuff and hard work to make them respectable in his run there. They were nuked beyond repair after 2014 and all of their drama but he made them solid in 3 years. On JV in 2017 they finished 2nd to us (they lost all those kids though except a few.) He's a good dude; if things don't work out there for him I hope he gets a 3A or 4A job because what he did there doesn't show in wins but he took them from being nuked out to being respectable in not too long a time.

We also played a really bad Elkin team the year I graduated in 2011. The last of the Richard Grissom era kids graduated my senior year (we had to scrum with them my last year to beat them,) and they were really, really young. They started their best athlete a freshman at QB and they had a really rough year as their line was super young.

They played us tough for a quarter and we led 10-7 at the end of 1, but we dropped the hammer hard on them after that and it got wild. We started blitzing them like crazy and one of the guys I played with did an old school ribs style tackle that was legal then. The QB got up and was bawling his eyes out because he got laid out. One of Elkin's coaches.. may have been their HC (can't 100% rember the face,) was like "SON, this high school Football. You gotta be a man and suck it up or sit you're a** down." That whole thing kinda freaked me out.. he's a 14 year old kid how was he supposed to act? Shoulda been on JV anyways where he belonged. They were decent there and they played us tough for 2 quarters before lightning cancelled it (we were up 14-7 and driving for another TD when it got bad and we went inside.) After that they gave up and we ran it a ton.. by the 4th we were up 51 points and we kneed it 8 straight times to run the clock out. Somehow the clock never ran which was crazy to me.

My sophmore year we beat Forbush 59-0 in a rainy mess.. I was on cruches as I tore my ACL into fragments then and couldn't fully walk. We put the game away after a quarter but Forbush wouldn't run the clock so we put lineman in to run the ball and time out as there was no need to score anymore. That was in the heyday of Pat Mitchell's run where he went from 11 wins in 2004 to 4 wins in 2007-2009; ouch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT