ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball SE Regional

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
The SE Regional begins Wednesday, August 2 in Asheboro, NC. The following teams will be there:
Florence, SC
Wheeling, W. Va.
Covington, Ga.
Shelbyville, Ky.
Tallahassee, Fla.
Troy, Ala.
Wilmington, NC
Randolph, NC (host)

A lot of familiar faces. Only team I don't think I've seen is Shelbyville. Should be a good tourney nonetheless. I wonder if Randolph can finally seal the deal........

Randolph is playing their best baseball at the right time of the year. Good luck to both Randolph and Wilmington.

Wednesday's Schedule
9:30 West Virginia vs Georgia
12:30 Kentucky vs Florence, SC
4:30 Alabama vs Wiimington, NC
7:30 Fla vs Randolph County

Wednesday's Schedule
9:30 West Virginia vs Georgia
12:30 Kentucky vs Florence, SC
4:30 Alabama vs Wiimington, NC
7:30 Fla vs Randolph County

***ADJUSTMENT***
9:30 is correct
12:30 is correct
4:30 Troy, AL vs Randolph Co
7:30 Tallahassee, FL vs Wilmington

Not sure if Randolph was given the opportunity to chose or if National aka the Tournament Director dictated this; however, this is the official schedule. Good luck to Post 45!! Would love to see you guys in Shelby!!

***ADJUSTMENT***
9:30 is correct
12:30 is correct
4:30 Troy, AL vs Randolph Co
7:30 Tallahassee, FL vs Wilmington

Not sure if Randolph was given the opportunity to chose or if National aka the Tournament Director dictated this; however, this is the official schedule. Good luck to Post 45!! Would love to see you guys in Shelby!!
Must have been dictated. Asheboro NEVER plays an afternoon game at Mcrary. Sun is horrible to right side of defense that time of day.

Must have been dictated. Asheboro NEVER plays an afternoon game at Mcrary. Sun is horrible to right side of defense that time of day.
Well, here we go again. One schedule gets published then a different one a day or two later. They just like causing confusion. This is the first time I have ever seen a state or regional tournament in which the host team was not scheduled to play last on day 1. According to the "official schedule" it looks like if Randolph wins they will also play the 3rd game on day 2. Why would you do that....so less fans can see the host team games the first two nights??? It makes no sense to me.

I don't know so I'm speculating.......but if given the opportunity, I would definitely choose to be on the WV, GA, & AL side of the bracket instead of the SC, FL, & KY side. KY & WV are newer to the Southeast Regional, but we've played the best WV teams in the past and it's not the same level of competition. You don't have to beat everybody in a double elimination tournament, you just can't lose twice. Having a team that is easier to beat is almost like a day off in one of these tournaments. Most of the teams that historically participate in the Regional's and believe me there are normal participants, they expect NC or SC to win the Southeast Regional. We played a team in the World Series that could not compete in Area 3. I assure you that team would have finished dead last in our conference that year. There is not a single person in Asheboro that is more concerned about the gate than they are winning the tournament. Do I believe it's an advantage to play the weaker teams early in a tournament....absolutely. If I have a deeper pitching staff like Post 45, then that only becomes a larger advantage. AL teams are historically strong and game tested, but not as polished from top to bottom. GA normally has a couple plus arms and limited scoring which forces them to win a low scoring game and even in Regional play, is fairly rare. If FL is legal, then I would be surprised to see them around late. Florence is solid because they are always solid and very well coached. I don't know anything about KY historically. Heck, I don't know anything about the out of state teams other than what Florence did in the NC\SC Challenge and there could always be a very good surprise team, but I would put Post 45 as the favorite, with SC or Wilmington as the other options to win. I don't have a clue of the other teams records, but you can't read much into any of them. We played a 61-3 team that was very good, and another team that had a similar record that was just ok in the World Series. Some of these Legion teams are high school teams that start Legion when HS is over and continue to count their record. They recruit also and make no bones about it. The Las Vegas coach told me that he recruited the entire state for his high school team that starts Legion upon completion.

Who does the sun hurt more, someone who has practiced in those conditions or someone who is experiencing it for the first time?? It's the coaches job to put their team in the most advantageous position possible, short of cheating. Just as before......100% pure speculation on my part.

I feel as though states with less teams have advantages. For example I know the TexaArkana team last year had guys from 3 different states and had players communicating 2 plus hours to games! Having 7-9 high schools drawn from.

I don't know so I'm speculating.......but if given the opportunity, I would definitely choose to be on the WV, GA, & AL side of the bracket instead of the SC, FL, & KY side. KY & WV are newer to the Southeast Regional, but we've played the best WV teams in the past and it's not the same level of competition. You don't have to beat everybody in a double elimination tournament, you just can't lose twice. Having a team that is easier to beat is almost like a day off in one of these tournaments. Most of the teams that historically participate in the Regional's and believe me there are normal participants, they expect NC or SC to win the Southeast Regional. We played a team in the World Series that could not compete in Area 3. I assure you that team would have finished dead last in our conference that year. There is not a single person in Asheboro that is more concerned about the gate than they are winning the tournament. Do I believe it's an advantage to play the weaker teams early in a tournament....absolutely. If I have a deeper pitching staff like Post 45, then that only becomes a larger advantage. AL teams are historically strong and game tested, but not as polished from top to bottom. GA normally has a couple plus arms and limited scoring which forces them to win a low scoring game and even in Regional play, is fairly rare. If FL is legal, then I would be surprised to see them around late. Florence is solid because they are always solid and very well coached. I don't know anything about KY historically. Heck, I don't know anything about the out of state teams other than what Florence did in the NC\SC Challenge and there could always be a very good surprise team, but I would put Post 45 as the favorite, with SC or Wilmington as the other options to win. I don't have a clue of the other teams records, but you can't read much into any of them. We played a 61-3 team that was very good, and another team that had a similar record that was just ok in the World Series. Some of these Legion teams are high school teams that start Legion when HS is over and continue to count their record. They recruit also and make no bones about it. The Las Vegas coach told me that he recruited the entire state for his high school team that starts Legion upon completion.
I agree that it is an advantage to play the weaker teams early in a tournament.....probably even more this year with the pitch count rules. If you get ahead in the game very early it gives you an opportunity to better manage the pitch count for your pitchers to your advantage. Since either a NC or SC team has won the regional 8 of the past 9 years I expect Randolph and Florence are the best teams and it would be best for them not to meet until day 3. But you could schedule the tournament for that to happen without having Randolph play 4:30 games on the first two days. Maybe someone who knows can give us a reason....still makes no sense to me.

Who does the sun hurt more, someone who has practiced in those conditions or someone who is experiencing it for the first time?? It's the coaches job to put their team in the most advantageous position possible, short of cheating. Just as before......100% pure speculation on my part.
Makes sense what you are saying but look at Easter tourney or fall HS baseball schedule or Asheboro HS schedule at anytime. Every other team that participates plays in afternoon.

Not Asheboro. Just the way they set it up.

I agree that it is an advantage to play the weaker teams early in a tournament.....probably even more this year with the pitch count rules. If you get ahead in the game very early it gives you an opportunity to better manage the pitch count for your pitchers to your advantage. Since either a NC or SC team has won the regional 8 of the past 9 years I expect Randolph and Florence are the best teams and it would be best for them not to meet until day 3. But you could schedule the tournament for that to happen without having Randolph play 4:30 games on the first two days. Maybe someone who knows can give us a reason....still makes no sense to me.

I know there was discussion for Post 45 to go in as the state champions or in the host spot. Structure and rules normally get handled by the book at the National level. There is a tournament chairman from outside the represented states that has been assigned by National to run every Regional Tournament. He will also have a couple folks from outside to assist him and rule as a committee on any issues. Still speculating, but I would assume they would not change the schedule, but only swap the NC teams out of respect for those travelling from other states to watch their kids play.

Day 1 Results:
GM1: Georgia 6 West Va 2

GM2: South Carolina 12 Kentucky 1 (7 innings)

GM3: Randolph County 10 Alabama 4

GM4: Florida 4 Wilmington, NC 1

Day 2 Schedule:
9:10 West Va vs Alabama

12:10 Kentucky vs Wilmington

4:10 Randolph County vs Georgia

7:10 South Carolina vs Florida

Last edited:
Thursday's Results

Alabama 8 West Va 1

West Va is eliminated

Wilmington 9 Kentucky 1
Kentucky is eliminated

Randolph County 4 Georgia 0

Florida 1 Florence 0

Last edited:
Friday's Schedule
12:30 Wilmington vs Georgia
4:30 South Carolina vs Alabama
7:30 Randolph County vs Florida

Friday's Results

Wilmington 10 Georgia 7
Georgia is eliminated

South Carolina 11 Alabama 1 (7 innings)
Alabama is eliminated

Randolph County 5 Florida 4
With the win Randolph is now assured of playing in the championship game on Sunday

Last edited:
I feel as though states with less teams have advantages. For example I know the TexaArkana team last year had guys from 3 different states and had players communicating 2 plus hours to games! Having 7-9 high schools drawn from.
at the jr level, area 4 has 12 teams , area 2, 6 teams and area 1, 9 teams for total of 27 teams, area 3 has 25 teams almost has many teams as the other 3 area combined. doesnt make sense.

Saturday's Schedule

4:30 Wilmington vs Florida
Elimination game

7:30 Randolph County vs South Carolina

Saturday's Results
Florida 10 Wilmington 7

Wilmington is eliminated

Randolph County 1 South Carolina 0
South Carolina is eliminated

Sunday's Championship Day Schedule

1:30 Randolph County vs. Florida

Florida would have to defeat Randolph County twice to win the championship...if Florida wins the 1:30 game there will be second game 40 minutes following the completion of the 1:30 game

Last edited:
Randolph County is the SE Regional Champion!

Randolph County 15 Florida 2 (7 innings)

Randolph County is a hot team heading into the ALWS having won 12 straight games against tough competition. I'm looking forward to seeing them in Shelby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Post 45's headin' to Shelby. They play Thurs, Sat, and Sunday for certain.

Trevor Marsh got MVP. Batted .632 for the tourney.

Randolph County is the SE Regional Champion!

Randolph County 15 Florida 2 (7 innings)

Randolph County is a hot team heading into the ALWS having won 12 straight games against tough competition. I'm looking forward to seeing them in Shelby.

Me too. I'm looking forward to seeing the crowd as much as I am the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT