ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball SE Region Results

Linkman

Jun 14, 2009
Wednesday Results

Kentucky 11 West Virginia 1
Alabama 7 Sumter, SC 4
Florida 2 Wilmington, NC 1
Chapen/Newberry, SC vs Randolph, NC (ppd until 9:00AM Thursday morning)

Wilmington and Sumter , the NC and SC state champions respectfully , are both knocked out of tourney after two games, leaving some fans shocked as a herd of discombobulated goats at the lotsy dotsy country club soiree, causing some of the country clubbers to stand back as the goatlings gobble up the hors d'oeuvres of caviar , Velveeta, fried Spam slices, small pieces of watermelon , and pickled pig's feet from the fancy eatin' table.

. .

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
Randolph has a very good team again this year. I'm just not sure that they will have enough pitching to make it through the 5 days of games. That was the slight difference in the Rowan and Randolph series in the Area 3 finals. I don't like the fact that a team gets an automatic bid to the regional's but I understand that it is the best or only way to get teams to host. Randolph has always showed good since they have been the host team. I hope Randolph can find a way to win the regional and keep the streak of NC being in the World Series.

Friday Results:
Florida 10 Sumter 2 (Sumter eliminated)
Alabama 6 West Virginia 2 (West Virginia eliminated)
Randolph County leads Kentucky 7-2 after 6 innings in the winner's bracket game.

It does look like Randolph is going to be in the driver's seat to win the SE Regional

Reactions: Post 36
Saturday Results
Alabama 7 Kentucky 0
Randolph County 11 Florida 1

Randolph County remains undefeated in the tournament and in the driver's seat. Alabama will have to defeat Randolph County twice tomorrow to win the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Post 36
area 3 must be one of best areas in the southeast regional. 4 teams from area 3 has played in the world series in the last 10 years. rowan twice, Kernersville and Randolph , this year Randolph didnt make it to area finals because of all the good teams in the area 3,

Reactions: Sportsnut17
area 3 must be one of best areas in the southeast regional. 4 teams from area 3 has played in the world series in the last 10 years. rowan twice, Kernersville and Randolph , this year Randolph didnt make it to area finals because of all the good teams in the area 3,

NC and SC are two of the strongest states in the country for Legion baseball. The common difference between how we do things here versus the teams that regularly field teams in the World Series is not well know. A great number of the regular World Series teams are high schools that openly admit that they recruit players regionally for their team and play high school games until they lose, and then switch straight into a legion format. These teams meet the requirements for Legion under the base school as they only pull from one high school, their high school which is their base school. States with very low numbers of teams also have an advantage. They can skip many schools to cherry pick good players from small schools which we can't do around here. Area III is absolutely one of the strongest Areas anywhere. Failure is the best teacher if you are willing to endure the storm to learn from it. It's not a coincidence the 3 programs you mentioned have also historically played the most regular season games per season. We always tried to schedule 30 regular season games against the best competition possible. Well tested makes for better prepared. Coach Pugh & Coach Gantt do a great job of preparing their guys through practice, but still nothing prepares teams better than the challenge of repetitive, high level competition.

That's why those teams always have the biggest advantage. There are teams out there that may not have another legion team within 4 hours around them. Then there are teams that their base school is a private school. So they have some of the best players from around their state on that legion team since they go to that private high school and then the local area high schools.

I will say this! National needs to hire people to go into Georgia Florida ect and all there full time job is to get teams back playing!

National would do good to clean-up the corruption in certain states; however, as the military goes, they will not break the chain of command, nor do they have the authority to remove state committee members. I've had national leadership tell me about corruption in certain states, but clarify that those states must take care of the problem, not national. People get to a point where they don't fight someone who can beat them down by decree. That's why Florida for example is in poor shape regarding number of teams. I don't know the story in Georgia so I won't speculate. Look at the records of teams in the World Series. Some of them don't try to hide the fact they recruit a high school team and then begin Legion. Oklahoma was 61-3 when we went to Spokanne for the WS. All the Vegas teams recruit. They had a kid from California & Oregon on their team if I heard their coach correctly. Imagine a high school coach asking for dorms for their players around here. We look at it as cheating and they look at it as their norm.

Randolph County wins the South East Regional defeating Alabama 3-2.

They won all 5 games they played in the tournament. Alabama played them 2 tight games losing earlier in the tournament by a 6-5 score.

Congratulations to Randolph for advancing the ALWS for the 2nd consecutive year.

Congratulations to Asheboro. (As you guys may or may not know I still cannot call them Randolph County). My son played with/and or against everyone on team for many years. I have coached a few of their players as well. Truly happy for them as most are fine young men who work at the game. For the most part the team is made up of HS players from Asheboro and Southwestern Randolph which I think helps with their chemistry. This year, and perhaps last year as well, the team has added Uwharrie Charter as a HS they can draw from. That means Asheboro legion is now much closer to being a true Randolph County team but that's a whole other story.

It also puts a end to South Carolina and North Carolina having great battles in the regional. I heard South Carolina champion next year will have to travel/fly all the way down to new orleans instead of make the couple hour treck to Asheboro

That's why those teams always have the biggest advantage. There are teams out there that may not have another legion team within 4 hours around them. Then there are teams that their base school is a private school. So they have some of the best players from around their state on that legion team since they go to that private high school and then the local area high schools.

I will say this! National needs to hire people to go into Georgia Florida ect and all there full time job is to get teams back playing!
all the teams in area 3 and area 4 are within 4 hours of each other , teams in area 1 and area 2 have to travel more. the longest a southern division of area 3 team has to travel is less than hour in regular season play. if every area 3 team played each other 1 time, travel would be less than 2 hours for every team

It also puts a end to South Carolina and North Carolina having great battles in the regional. I heard South Carolina champion next year will have to travel/fly all the way down to new orleans instead of make the couple hour treck to Asheboro
The Southeast Regional will be played in Tampa next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT