ADVERTISEMENT

Scotland @ Hoggard

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
SC (12-1) travels to Wilmington to take on Hoggard (12-0). SC powerful rushing attack averages 270 yards a game. They also add 100 yards a game in the air. They average 39 points per game and their defense gives up 15 points per game. Hoggard is lead by their defense which has given up 89 points for a 7 points per game average. The Viking offense is led by Keevin Thompson who has over 2100 yards rushing this year. The Vikes average 250 rushing per game and 93 yards per game passing and average 37 points per game. Hoggard has been solid on special team.
SC has played a much tougher schedule and are battled tested. Hoggard will need to play lights out and will be BIG underdogs in this one. I hope the Vikes can keep it close.

Really solid Hoggard team. They are good at every phase of the game. They will not beat themselves. Should be a good one.

HOGGARD AINT SHAT
DONT DARE STOP AT WALGREENS AND GET YOUR SLEEP MEDS

#5 ON DEFENSE FOR THE ROCKING SCOTTIES IS THE BIG SHOWand former Ram
3dgrin.r191677.gif

HE WILL KNOCK "THE SALT LIFE" OUT OF YOU

HE IS THE BEGINNING, YOUR FINISHER AND YOUR PLAY SPY, BUT THEN AGAIN HE IS THE FENCE (POUND FOR POUND)

HE'S GOING TO TAKE YOU TO YOUR FIRST, SECOND, THIRD, AND FOURTH PERIOD....

TO SCHOOL

THAT'S NOT A THREAT

THAT IS A PROMISE

This post was edited on 11/22 9:02 PM by swett2victory

Go get the win Scots Hoggard is most arrogant people
there in that stadium I ever seen. Believe me I been
to a lot of football games. Scots by 10.

I have seen both teams and I think this one could go either way. Absent the obvious (turnovers, injuries and penalties) this game will come down to two things: (1) Can Scotland slow down Thompson (they won't stop him) enough to limit his damage? and (2) Can Scotland score enough points against a good Hoggard defense?

If the Scots can force Hoggard to throw and can stop the little rollout run/pass option they run on third and medium then Scotland should win. Thompson is very special. Without a big game from him Hoggard's offense does not have enough fire power to put up many points against a defense like Scotland's. I expect Hoggard to try to get the ball in Smith's hands more than they have in previous games using handoffs to him in motion or quick passes. I am not impressed with Hoggard's passing game and I certainly don't expect them to do much damage through the air against Scotland. It has taken 13 weeks, but Hoggard finally faces an above average defense and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

On the other hand, I see Scotland struggling to score a lot of points. Reynolds is the best LB I have seen this year and there are some guys on Hoggard's defense that are sneaky good. They are disciplined and will not make any mental mistakes. They tackle and cover well. The Scots will have to earn what they get. It will not be an easy night for the Scots on offense and if they come to Wilmington and don't execute then they will not win.

Both teams have above average high school special teams and are sound in this phase. Special teams could always prove to be the difference in a game like this and I would not be surprised to see a big special teams play by someone Friday night.

Again, turnovers, injuries and penalties can never be predicted and all could decide the game, but based on what I have seen from both teams, I believe Scotland wins this one 27-21.

Originally posted by gotoblueg:
Go get the win Scots Hoggard is most arrogant people
there in that stadium I ever seen. Believe me I been
to a lot of football games. Scots by 10.
That's funny. I think you are taking their ability to use proper grammar and punctuation as arrogant.

Hello portcity FB does Hoggard play at the high school or at memorial stadium, i read some where that visitor seating was small.

I have been to a lot of football games in southeastern North Carolina through the years as well and I don't find Hoggard fans that arrogant. I think their fan base is less arrogant than some others I have been around ... The fans I have sat beside this year and in years past have been nice and not pounding their chest.

Diamonds gave a pretty good preview of this game in my opinion. I have watched Hoggard three times this year and I'm impressed of how well they play as a team. Not a lot of athletes, but a lot of heart and they are well coached. I will be there Friday night and looking forward to this one.

I have to disagree gotoblue. I have been to Hoggard multiple times to watch them play the stallions. I have never left there thinking Hoggard fans were "arrogant." There are a couple teams in our conference that I would view as more arrogant than Hoggard fans. Maybe your experience was different than mine.

I appreciate the posts from non Hoggard guys about the Hoggard crowd. Hoggard fans are not what I would call crazy about football. Hoggard is very good in many sports and until the Braswell era they had not had a lot of success in FB. I have seen my fair share of knuckle heads but as a whole it is mostly parents and family of current players. To me personally the worse fans to be around are ignorant fans that think they know the rules and the game. Those fans are found in every stadium in the world.

I also agree with Diamond, however I feel both teams can throw the ball they just prefer not to if they can run it. With Hoggards weak scd this year they haven't had to throw it. SC has multiple game where they have throw it as little as possible. Austin will be a major factor, he has looked sharp the last few games and that will need to continue. Austin will also be running more.
All the experts had us struggling the first two rounds against teams that aren't nearly as good as SC so Hoggard will have no chance to beat SC. Just hope we can keep it respectable.

Been to many Hoggard-New Bern battles at Wilmington and at New Bern. Never considered fans of Hoggard arrogant. The only arrogant Wildcat fan I have met is T Roy C.

Originally posted by theump:

Been to many Hoggard-New Bern battles at Wilmington and at New Bern. Never considered fans of Hoggard arrogant. The only arrogant Wildcat fan I have met is T Roy C.
I second that.

Very funny ump....and you are the most arrogant Rampant fan I've ever met. I'm gonna display some of that 'Wildcat' arrogance and tell gotoblueg to go crawl back under whatever rock he came out from under..and plaaaease take Mr.Swett with you.

Port - I am going to start calling you Lou "Port" Holtz. You are always playing down your team and making your opponents sound like the 1993 Dallas Cowboys. C'mon man! I am not an expert, but I certainly did not think that Hoggard would have ANY trouble with either South Central or Cape Fear. Nothing about the results of those games surprised me in the least. Hoggard's opponents are now a combined 56-82 and have given up an average of 31 points a game. No regular season opponent of Hoggard's won a playoff game. The Vikings have dismantled the following schedule:

Game 1 - Won 48-6 v. South Columbus Record 5-7 Points Allowed 361 State Ranking 296

Game 2 - Won 21-7 @ Conway, SC Record 2-9 Points Allowed 373 State Ranking (SC) 82

Game 3 - Won 35-0 @ Purnell Swett Record 4-7 Points Allowed 367 State Ranking 165

Game 4 - Won 35-7 v. Lumberton Record 5-6 Points Allowed 408 State Ranking 119

Game 5 - Won 41-7 @ Topsail Record 3-8 Points Allowed 351 State Ranking 322

Game 6 - Won 25-15 v. New Hanover Record 7-5 Points Allowed 316 State Ranking 85

Game 7 - Won 38-0 @ Ashley Record 0-10 Points Allowed 374 State Ranking 350

Game 8 - Won 35-13 v. Laney Record 5-6 Points Allowed 334 State Ranking 140

Game 9 - Won 35-0 @ West Brunswick Record 5-7 Points Allowed 360 State Ranking 194

Game 10 - Won 49-6 v. South Brunswick Record 4-8 Points Allowed 452 State Ranking 255

Game 11 PLAYOFFS - Won 49-21 v. South Central Record 7-5 Points Allowed 335 State Ranking 99

Game 12 PLAYOFFS - Won 38-7 v. Cape Fear Record 9-4 Points Allowed 236 State Ranking 84

That is only 3 teams with a winning record (only 1 opponent during the regular season with a winning record) and two of those teams were 7-5. The only North Carolina teams even ranked in the top 100 are Cape Fear at #84, New Hanover at #85 and South Central at #99. How would you believe that the #14 ranked Vikings would struggle in any of the games played to date? I wouldn't and they didn't.

HOWEVER[/B], the fact that Hoggard has played a cupcake schedule does not mean that Hoggard is not good. The Vikings are good and I don't think Hoggard is a "BIG underdog" in the Scotland game as Port posted above. Hoggard will have the best two players on the field (Thompson and Reynolds). In addition, Hoggard will have the best defense and will be playing at home. Those factors usually result in a win. Also, I am pretty sure the Hoggard coaches expected to see Scotland in the playoffs and, due to not having to spend much time preparing for many of their regular season opponents, the Hoggard staff has been scouting Scotland. For some reason, I don't think that the game plan for Scotland was created over the past weekend. I think it has existed for several weeks and that Hoggard will be very well prepared for this game.

I agree that Schoenleber will likely run it more this week simply because Scotland would rather see Schoenleber run it than Thompson and, as a result, Scotland will take the pitch away when Hoggard attacks the edge using their option package. With the exception of 3-5 wrinkles that I am certain Hoggard has been preparing for weeks to use against Scotland, I expect Hoggard to run the same stuff they always have and that will mean the QB is a critical part of the running game. I also expect to see Smith get more touches than he has been getting and he can do some damage against the Scotland defense. Smith is really a good player and he would have thrived in a program that got him the ball 8-12 times a night (although I would feature Thompson too if I was coaching). However, I don't think Hoggard can CONSISTENTLY move the ball unless Thompson has his usual big night. I am not sure how the game will go, but if Hoggard gets down by two scores and Thompson is being contained then I think the game will be over. Just my opinion.

Again, I have seen both teams live and on film and this game is ABSOLUTELY a toss-up. I expect Simmons will have Scotland as a 5-7 point favorite and, based on the respective schedules to date, Scotland probably should be a slight favorite if one were to set a point spread. However, I will not be surprised at all to see Hoggard win.

T Roy! You have hurt my feelings. You know if yall win this weekend and we do to, you are going to have to make the
trip out here to New Bern and sit with the crew during the game. Be like old times.

Zamir White the freshman running back for Scotland will be hands down the best player on the field. Period!

Scotland dismantled Richmond's potent running attack, and Richmond has athletes. If Hoggard can't throw the ball they wont win. Scots by 14.

Originally posted by ClemTigers83:
Zamir White the freshman running back for Scotland will be hands down the best player on the field. Period!

Scotland dismantled Richmond's potent running attack, and Richmond has athletes. If Hoggard can't throw the ball they wont win. Scots by 14.
White is special! I would think SC fans would say he is better and Hoggard fans would say Thompson is better. I have seen both play and they are both very good. SC did shut down RC running game. As mentioned by Diamond, they took away the pitch man and forced the QB to make a play and he just didn't have the explosiveness that the RB's had. Hoggard will run a speed option but they prefer to run more power football. If the O line gets a good push then Thompson and that line just wear you down, SC speed will be evident on film and I doubt Hoggard tries to get the edge much unless they see something during the game. I agree Hoggard will need to throw effectively. RC was not able to do that and they lost big. The same fate will exist here. I have been impressed with SC numbers in the 2nd half. They have had some tight games in the first half and they make great adjustments. SC has outscored their opp 91-21 in the 3rd qrt (I don't have the numbers for the Goldsboro game).

I hope everyone in the area appreciates this game Friday night and comes out to support the local team. Especially Hoggard fans. These type games at home don't come around a lot. Hoggard has hosted 5 other playoff games of this type magnitude in the past 20 plus plus years.

2014- (12-0) Hoggard vs (12-1) Scotland in the 3rd round. ??
2013- (12-1) Hoggard vs (11-2) Rose in the 3rd round. Rose drops their next game to SC.
2007- (13-0) Hoggard vs (10-4) Southern Durham in the 4th round. Hoggard goes on to beat Mt Tabor to win it all in 4A.
2005- (9-1) Hoggard vs (10-2) NB in 2nd round. NB falls to Indy in the championship game 4AA.
2003- (12-1) Hoggard vs (11-2) Rose in 3rd round. Rose goes on to win it all in 4A.
2002- (10-3) Hoogard vs (10-3) Northern Nash in 3rd round. NN falls to ACR in the finals of the 4A.

In 2003 Rose had Andre Brown and he was a man among boys. Probably the best running back I have ever seen on our field.
In 2002 NN had a DE that completely dominated the game. Probably most dominate defensive player I've seen on that field. Sorry I can't remember his name.

Originally posted by portcity FB:

In 2002 NN had a DE that completely dominated the game. Probably most dominate defensive player I've seen on that field. Sorry I can't remember his name.
Chad Green ... I was at that game and was very impressed as well. He signed with State, but grades put an end to his career there.

Originally posted by Screamin' Monk:

Originally posted by portcity FB:

Chad Green ... I was at that game and was very impressed as well. He signed with State, but grades put an end to his career there.
Thanks Monk. There were times when NN would put him on the weak side and take the weak side LB and put him over beside the strong side LB. Choose your poison. Too bad about his grades, he could of been great.

I think Hoggard is feeling a little disrespected. No one has really mentioned them much this year, they have been under the radar which makes them very dangerous. They want to make a statement this Friday.

Was at that NN game too, They also had a really good RB I think named Arrington or something like that. I wanted to hate NN because they knocked us out of playoffs my Jr. year but talked to some of their fans and really liked them. they told me they were very motivated to win it all because they missed the playoffs the year before with a 10-1 record. alao told me about the Nash Central HS coming soon that would knock them to 3A & kill their program and both happened.

Originally posted by Scots9000:
I think Hoggard is feeling a little disrespected. No one has really mentioned them much this year, they have been under the radar which makes them very dangerous. They want to make a statement this Friday.
I think you may be right. The players can't help who they play and they can only take care of the business in front of them. I would think they want to know how good they really are. Plus remember the disappointment of the CC game, those kids were looking forward to that challenge and they get to start it but not finish it. From a fan stand point I don't blame anyone for not putting Hoggard in the mix based on how their schedule turned out.

Me too, sort of. I'm kind of pulling for Vance. They've got that "rise from the ashes" thing going for them.

Hey Port,
Any truth to the rumors about this being Braswell's last year? I keep hearing about him trying to go to South Carolina. That he wanted to stay and coach this particular team because of their great talent level.
And if so, who do you see as the next coach?

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:
Hey Port,
Any truth to the rumors about this being Braswell's last year? I keep hearing about him trying to go to South Carolina. That he wanted to stay and coach this particular team because of their great talent level.
He will be a six figure coach in South Carolina. I have never seen his teams unprepared. They always are well coached.

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:
Hey Port,
I have heard things. I know he has put 2 kids thru college and one was a private school. I would think there is some debt there. If I were Braswell I would want to have that debt paid off before I retire. He could do that in half the time in SC. This whole experience with cancer may have changed things for him. The community really rallied behind him and has helped out any way they could. That carries weight too. Had he been at a new school when all this happened there would not have been as much support. I hope he stays, for selfish reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT