Sep 16, 2003
Laurinburg, NC
The Scots make the long 3 hr road trip this Friday to Greenville to play
the Vikings of DH Conley. The defense for the Scots has been lights out
so far while the offense a work in progress. Three consecutive games
Scotland has rotated the qbs 2 series each hoping one steps up and
takes the job. We all have our opinions on the subject. Regardless, the
Scots should be much too good for these Vikings providing the long haul
doesn't have effect. Thoughts, opinions, or the lowdown on Conley???
GO SCOTS

I watched them against Rocky Mount. Good QB, decent offense, and Swiss Cheese defense. Like you said WIN, if the long ride don't effect the young men. I see a 3 score win for the Scots - ATLEAST!!!

If sc struggles with this bunch- i will have serious doubts. The defense has given this team multiple short fields and the offense has screwed it up with bad snaps and penalties. Put #3 at qb and we don't have the injuries in the past he can get what he has been chasing. We are winning in spite of and eventually that will come back to visit you when the defense is not pitching a shutout because this d is eventually going to give up some points. Look at mighty lsu all they talked about was their NFL secondary texas roasted them.

Northeastern adjusted and their pass rush dominated Conley. Plus Conley plays tonight, if I'm not mistaken.

Northeastern is legit. They just beat a really good team from VA. Conley re-scheduled their game to their BYE week in October. SC should be able to have success on the ground but their DB's will be tested through the air on D.

Well... if we can keep our snaps good we should be ok... was glad to finally see Bailey put in the backup center... been going through snap issues since game 1... Offense need to start clicking early...cant wait until the 2nd half to get it right; pretty sure if he decides and stick with a QB that may fix itself.

Well... if we can keep our snaps good we should be ok... was glad to finally see Bailey put in the backup center... been going through snap issues since game 1... Offense need to start clicking early...cant wait until the 2nd half to get it right; pretty sure if he decides and stick with a QB that may fix itself.
Neither one of the qb's are playing anywhere you need them to be to win a conference championship not too mention anything else. If either were progressing I would agree with you. The changing every 2 series is a bad idea. Play 1 guy a full quarter then the next guy unless one is rally stinking up the joint. Feel bad for Chavis and Wall each one of those cats should get 5 catches per game easily.

Neither one of the qb's are playing anywhere you need them to be to win a conference championship not too mention anything else. If either were progressing I would agree with you. The changing every 2 series is a bad idea. Play 1 guy a full quarter then the next guy unless one is rally stinking up the joint. Feel bad for Chavis and Wall each one of those cats should get 5 catches per game easily.

Agreed...some ways off on offense to win the conference...

5 catches each you are correct, but that isnt possible
with what we have, so we all should understand the
Richmond speculation over the summer, I think a half
each in these preconference games would have been
great, flip flop who starts so each would have gotten a
first and a second half over a 2 game period. This 2
series stuff you cant get any rhythm. Johnson really
has looked better with balls down the field, nice deep ball to 84 dropped then the bad looking interception on the next play. I read on another site the center change was really due to injury and not because of bad snaps, but snaps did seem to improve. If there is no improvement this week is there a chance with the bye week that coach goes back
to #3 at qb or is that just something not on the table.

Northeastern played DH Conley the first game of the season with a new quarterback if we played them tomorrow we would win by 40 we also had what like 2 or 3 tds called back the Scotland should win by 3 or more touchdowns

Northeastern played DH Conley the first game of the season with a new quarterback if we played them tomorrow we would win by 40 we also had what like 2 or 3 tds called back the Scotland should win by 3 or more touchdowns

Ya'll struggling with Rose tonight?

Yeah but the Young quarterback coming alive if we finish tonight we will win 2 or 3 tds

I hope so Scots roll y'all to far play..lol but New Bern is not it's been what about 20 since we played

The key to beating Conley is to get pressure on Hamilton the QB. That's not easy to do, kid has a quick release. Only other offensive threat is the bruiser at RB #7. He won't bust the game open for Conley but if Conley gets a lead they will grind the clock out with him. If the Scots can pass well, the Conley secondary has struggled with the 15 yard dig route on both sides of the field. If the Scots can expose this as well they win by 3 maybe 4 tds.

Last edited:
5 catches each you are correct, but that isnt possible
with what we have, so we all should understand the
Richmond speculation over the summer, I think a half
each in these preconference games would have been
great, flip flop who starts so each would have gotten a
first and a second half over a 2 game period. This 2
series stuff you cant get any rhythm. Johnson really
has looked better with balls down the field, nice deep ball to 84 dropped then the bad looking interception on the next play. I read on another site the center change was really due to injury and not because of bad snaps, but snaps did seem to improve. If there is no improvement this week is there a chance with the bye week that coach goes back
to #3 at qb or is that just something not on the table.

That's whats so frustrating... I've seen both do good, turn right around a do bad... I think Wall is more valuable at WR... though I like how Bailey uses him in the Wildcat on goal line situations... he's a double threat.

We aren’t exactly blowing into the end zone in that wildcat , 4 plays from the 8 and then it was a jump pass for the score ..I’d just prefer the regular offense personally, run that wildcat out when you got even more space on the field , but I’m sure it will improve . Just not sure if the qb play will or not I really don’t think 12 has it mentally , 6 better there
But the hands aren’t good ... of course not knowing where the snap is going can alter ones focus ..

That's whats so frustrating... I've seen both do good, turn right around a do bad... I think Wall is more valuable at WR... though I like how Bailey uses him in the Wildcat on goal line situations... he's a double threat.
So you think wall is more valuable at wideout getting 5 to 6 touches a game .than at qb where he will have his hand in every offensive play. I can't make the math work on that. Last week he took nothing and scored a touchdown can #6 or #12 do that answer is heck no and I'm being nice. Your best athlete should have the ball at qb in high school and our best two athletes IMO (which means nothing) is #5 and #3 on the offensive side of the ball and #5 is already being asked to do a lot.

So you think wall is more valuable at wideout getting 5 to 6 touches a game .than at qb where he will have his hand in every offensive play. I can't make the math work on that. Last week he took nothing and scored a touchdown can #6 or #12 do that answer is heck no and I'm being nice. Your best athlete should have the ball at qb in high school and our best two athletes IMO (which means nothing) is #5 and #3 on the offensive side of the ball and #5 is already being asked to do a lot.
If #6 or #12 don't take the reigns against Conley, I expect #3 running the show against Britt. Just my opinion!

SC has not had to get wall 10-15 touches yet. When they do, they will. Wall out in space with one on one coverage with just able anyone in the state is a big mismatch. I like what SC is doing. You can not just run the ball all year and then get good at passing in the playoffs. In the playoffs, if SC runs into a defense that matches up with their running game they will be comfortable throwing it. You cant put wall at QB all year then put him at WR deep into the playoffs and expect great things. This is a work in progress.

SC has not had to get wall 10-15 touches yet. When they do, they will. Wall out in space with one on one coverage with just able anyone in the state is a big mismatch. I like what SC is doing. You can not just run the ball all year and then get good at passing in the playoffs. In the playoffs, if SC runs into a defense that matches up with their running game they will be comfortable throwing it. You cant put wall at QB all year then put him at WR deep into the playoffs and expect great things. This is a work in progress.
You are making the assumption that the other two can get him the ball consistently and I don't think they can. SC could easily put #5 at wideout the kid that broke the db or lb ankles on the long run . along with Chavis and that is still more than enough from a receiving standpoint to do serious damage.. You for one ought to know that SC has enough running backs that we can afford to put #5 at wideout and now we have him in space with Bruce running and throwing. Everyone forgets the Chavis kid had over 500 yds receiving last year on 25 catches. He is faster than Bruce and he can get open deep. The guys agreeing with you are probably RC guys - lol! I fully expect #3 to be playing QB by October. You saw the best of them against Hoggard (#6 mainly) and let me tell you that was not anything to write home about. Neither makes great in game decisions and that in itself can get you beat. In the end our opinions mean nothing but if you do not think Bailey is looking at this as option I would be shocked. He has seen the inconsistent play and the lack of the athleticism from both. #6 is an ok athlete but he isn't someone that makes your jaw drop. Wall is! You really think either one of these guys can get Bruce 7 to 10 catches a game? You are mighty kind - bless your heart! You are sharp football guy Port but you know those kids are struggling. We won in spite of qb play last year when we got on a roll and this will be the same this year. I bet if you ask any SAC defensive coordinators who would you rather see at qb among the three and it would go in this order#12 first, #6 next and lastly #3 with a big smile and a sigh of relief!

Somebody better step up this week , if it’s bellow
Average to ok again for the 4th consecutive week going into the bye week then u never know , a big move could happen going into the Britt game.
Yes devil you are correct with your 1,2,3....

I think they played better once they got a center that could get the ball to them...yes much room for improvement... but better... I just think we're desperately reaching for an answer...last week you guys were talking about putting #5 Leak at qb...now #3 Wall, who next the Ball and water boy...lol...one of the 2 qb's will be fine, they just need consistent "good" snaps.... lets have a little faith in them... they were good enough to get us to the ship last year...

I think they played better once they got a center that could get the ball to them...yes much room for improvement... but better... I just think we're desperately reaching for an answer...last week you guys were talking about putting #5 Leak at qb...now #3 Wall, who next the Ball and water boy...lol...one of the 2 qb's will be fine, they just need consistent "good" snaps.... lets have a little faith in them... they were good enough to get us to the ship last year...
Funny but if you think those kids got us anywhere you are off your rocker my good SC friend Defense and Running Game - Not qb play. I have seen . the water boy he can throw it!

Funny but if you think those kids got us anywhere you are off your rocker my good SC friend Defense and Running Game - Not qb play. I have seen . the water boy he can throw it!

No doubt Dmac ... when I say "get us to the Ship" don't take that the wrong way... I guess I should say...they handled themselves and took care of the football, by no means am I putting them up there with Smiley / Poppa and the defense... Long story short... there not the best...but good enough in my opinion. Just cant see any good in all this drastic shifting that people are proposing. If you take your top receiver out and put at QB...who's gonna catch the ball?...I'm not that confident yet in our other receivers.

No doubt Dmac ... when I say "get us to the Ship" don't take that the wrong way... I guess I should say...they handled themselves and took care of the football, by no means am I putting them up there with Smiley / Poppa and the defense... Long story short... there not the best...but good enough in my opinion. Just cant see any good in all this drastic shifting that people are proposing. If you take your top receiver out and put at QB...who's gonna catch the ball?...I'm not that confident yet in our other receivers.
You don't think Chavis is a quality receiver come on man and we all know #5 can play wideout - You can tell that by his soft hands. He is truly a Swiss army knife. I think these kids will eventually get us in a bind. I would feel better if they just settled on one or at least let them play a full quarter. This every two series is no way to get rhythm as a QB. It puts more pressure on them because they know they have 2 series to shine and they are coming out. You can't operate like that with 15 & 16 year olds at that position. Too many variables are involved in QB play. My last point if #3 was the best choice at the start of last year why is he not the best choice now. If the answer is because of his knee I might can buy that but from everything i have seen #3 looks good. He has not shown any signs of a limp and his routing running and cuts have been crisp. We all know you can get hurt by just walking or doing those silly chest bumps.

You don't think Chavis is a quality receiver come on man and we all know #5 can play wideout - You can tell that by his soft hands. He is truly a Swiss army knife. I think these kids will eventually get us in a bind. I would feel better if they just settled on one or at least let them play a full quarter. This every two series is no way to get rhythm as a QB. It puts more pressure on them because they know they have 2 series to shine and they are coming out. You can't operate like that with 15 & 16 year olds at that position. Too many variables are involved in QB play. My last point if #3 was the best choice at the start of last year why is he not the best choice now. If the answer is because of his knee I might can buy that but from everything i have seen #3 looks good. He has not shown any signs of a limp and his routing running and cuts have been crisp. We all know you can get hurt by just walking or doing those silly chest bumps.

as many as Chavis has caught... he has dropped... not a bad receiver but would rather the ball be thrown to Wall (not saying he's perfect...I've seen him drop a few too). If we keep doubling and tripling up positions on one man make him more prone to injury.

I have always tried to be fair and honest with my opinion here. This isnt about Hoggard or any other school. I think Bailey wants a ring as much as anyone and I can’t blame him. He has been so close. He has a system that has gotten him to the door step year after year but he hasn’t been able to get thru. My opinion is that he is willing to take some lumps developing the passing game so it will be an asset come playoff time. If he feel the two guys he’s rotating can get the job done than he can develop Wall at WR which he may need deep into the playoffs. Now, some of you may do it differently and that’s ok but I like what he’s doing. You guys are 3-0. You have outscored your opps 92-22, while going thru some growing pains. I think your ok. I think these guys will get better and make another deep run and it might just be Wall at WR that makes the difference. I think Bailey has earned the benefit of the doubt that he has a plan for what he’s trying.

I have always tried to be fair and honest with my opinion here. This isnt about Hoggard or any other school. I think Bailey wants a ring as much as anyone and I can’t blame him. He has been so close. He has a system that has gotten him to the door step year after year but he hasn’t been able to get thru. My opinion is that he is willing to take some lumps developing the passing game so it will be an asset come playoff time. If he feel the two guys he’s rotating can get the job done than he can develop Wall at WR which he may need deep into the playoffs. Now, some of you may do it differently and that’s ok but I like what he’s doing. You guys are 3-0. You have outscored your opps 92-22, while going thru some growing pains. I think your ok. I think these guys will get better and make another deep run and it might just be Wall at WR that makes the difference. I think Bailey has earned the benefit of the doubt that he has a plan for what he’s trying.
Port, what you are saying is reasonable and I get it but here is my problem:
1. These kids both have played a full season alternating and they look the same as last year so they look the same (missing receivers, making bad decisions and looking absolutely lost at times. No improvement through the spring or fall camp (that says a lot to me) . Maybe not to you all but it does whether you want to admit it or not.
2. Wall was the qb last year prior to injury so he was obviously the pick over these two or anyone else on the roster so other than the knee injury which is a concern but ACL's happen all the time and players return to play their position - why not him?
3. If not now when - You point out the scoring difference well even coach says we are leaving 3 td's at a minimum on the field (he just said that yesterday to the local reporter and he pointed the line play and the qb play of which i have stated is less than stellar). If you wait until late in the season to make this change it doesn't give you time to make adjustments
4. Lastly, wall is a playmaker period and if these guys cannot get him the ball at the receiver position consistently you are limiting his ability to impact the game.
We can go on all day about this but neither one of these kids to this point has shown any significant improvement and I'm come from the old school if the guy(s) you have can't get it done find someone who can. They have had more than enough time to step-up and take the job neither has done so.
I wish one of the would step up because this rotating is work well now but what happens when you play someone with equal or better talent and the defense is struggling do you really want a struggling alternating qb system to help you get over the top? Fellows ya'll have a great day this is good football conversation - unlike some of the garbage on here at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT