ADVERTISEMENT

Scotland 12-2 @ Cardinal Gibbons 11-2.... 4A East Final

scotswin

Sep 16, 2003
Laurinburg, NC
Scotland makes a return trip again this year to Gibbons after a 7-6 win last year in round 2. Scotland was a big underdog last year but that won’t be the case this year but still the Crusaders are favored once again by a smaller margin. Scotland still does what they do pounding that run game while Gibbons has a much more balanced attack. Comments , thoughts, predictions ??

I cannot prediction a score but I do feel like Scotland can win if they stay discipline and cut out then penalties. When Richmond played them Richmond had 18 penalties they had 1 so they know how to play. If Scotland don’t make unnecessary Penalties and play mistake free Scotland will come home with win .
I hope both Richmond & Scotland comes home with a win if so I think this will maybe the first time both goes to the state at the same time , does anyone know that answer?

Obviously, Scotland has more experience winning in the playoffs. Overall, I think they probably have the edge. But Gibbons is playing their best and peaking at just the right time. Their defense has not allowed points in the last two games (NB's defense provided their only score). They will need to be at the top of their game against Scotland.

Like Hogan said, This is the game CG wanted, we have face the top teams in the small 4A within the last few years, the next man up. We still here in the hunt. Best believe this maybe an away game but with our fans, should be like a home field game with the the crowd back at LB Nation. Let get ready to rumble. Those who are traveling, leave early.

Unless Scotland can fix their pass coverage woes, Cardinal Gibbons will have a field day on Offense. Scotland will make this a close game IF their ball control run offense is able to grind the clock and maintain possession.

I cannot prediction a score but I do feel like Scotland can win if they stay discipline and cut out then penalties. When Richmond played them Richmond had 18 penalties they had 1 so they know how to play. If Scotland don’t make unnecessary Penalties and play mistake free Scotland will come home with win .
I hope both Richmond & Scotland comes home with a win if so I think this will maybe the first time both goes to the state at the same time , does anyone know that answer?
Yes, since the 4A/4AA change.

I have seen Gibbons play and Scotland play multiple times. Of course I will take flak for this but if Gibbons throw the ball they should walk away from the Scots.

I have seen Gibbons play and Scotland play multiple times. Of course I will take flak for this but if Gibbons throw the ball they should walk away from the Scots.
we weren't suppose to win last year on their home field with a 5-5 team found a way to get it done anyway. We,ve play a couple of bad half's all year so of coarse u would pick us to loose, I like the Scots to win good luck to the Raiders.

Why keep bringing up the past "we was 5-5" I really don't understand why keep bringing it up. We get it Scots was not that good but got hot and barely escaped some teams that was not that good. It has nothing to do with this season. Still picking Gibbons in a close one.

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
No disrespect to CG because they are a great team , but I feel like Scotland has this one . I could be wrong but Scotland since 2011 hasnt had much trouble going to state just hasn’t won but one state championship , and I don’t mean that any type of disrespect to Scotland please do not that way . My point is Scotland my have had okay regular in the past and present seasons but they shine when it comes to the playoff .
I hope to see both Richmond & Scotland going to the state I think it will be the largest crowd they will every have for a state title game

No disrespect to CG because they are a great team , but I feel like Scotland has this one . I could be wrong but Scotland since 2011 hasnt had much trouble going to state just hasn’t won but one state championship , and I don’t mean that any type of disrespect to Scotland please do not that way . My point is Scotland my have had okay regular in the past and present seasons but they shine when it comes to the playoff .
I hope to see both Richmond & Scotland going to the state I think it will be the largest crowd they will every have for a state title game

Well it's hard to argue that Scotland has the edge--they have proven to be overachievers come playoff time. And they have experience winning it all. But CG has the momentum in my view. I expected CG to beat New Bern but not to dominate the way they did.The big question in my mind is can Scotland effectively go to the air or will they be relying on the run game? If it's the latter I think CG's chances of winning increase.

Why keep bringing up the past "we was 5-5" I really don't understand why keep bringing it up. We get it Scots was not that good but got hot and barely escaped some teams that was not that good. It has nothing to do with this season. Still picking Gibbons in a close one.
Its the subtle jabs you just have to throw in there, there were no teams not that good, it was the 2nd 3rd, 4th round of the playoffs on the road.
enjoy your Raiders, they haven't been this level for a while, players graduate, good luck Friday night, I think youll win.

Well it's hard to argue that Scotland has the edge--they have proven to be overachievers come playoff time. And they have experience winning it all. But CG has the momentum in my view. I expected CG to beat New Bern but not to dominate the way they did.The big question in my mind is can Scotland effectively go to the air or will they be relying on the run game? If it's the latter I think CG's chances of winning increase.
Scotland will do what Scotland does and we all know what that is. Pound that run game with the
pass sprinkled in at the appropriate times. You really didn't see that last year. Scotland is more like itself this year. Hard nose, hard hitting football. We will see come Friday night.

Scotland will be ok, we stuck in there with RC during the first half, after that we got our butts kick, they made adjustments and we didn't. If we can play with them, we will be alright, anyway, we got few things going our way, one of the winnest active coaches in NC, experience playoff playmakers. As everyone knows SC travel with a crowd, As of last year we are the underdogs. GO SCOTS/GO RAIDERS

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
This could go either way. CGs passing offense vs the Scots defense is the matchup I am most interested in. Two teams this good, it will surely come down to who makes the least mistakes!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

I gave u last year record so u could see different team different year, i'm ok with you picking Gibbons wouldn't have it any other way the cycle coming remember when u had them 198 pound line and couldn't stop nobody. i never once said Richmond wasn't that good. Enjoy this year sir and the Scots will be be fine.

It has been said, but CG is a very disciplined team that just play great fundamental football. They typically won’t make many mistakes. They have some playmakers and some horses to go along with that.

Scotland is very athletic as usual. They have been a tremendous playoff team. Faster and a few more athletes than CG. Some other things are pretty equal.

I am pulling for Scotland and they can win this. They will have to play disciplined. May have to pass a bit to keep that D honest. Mix that O up. Defense will be key and Scotland has a good one. Get that secondary ready and get some pressure on the QB.

It would be a classic if both RC and Scotland play in the title games. That would make for one great Saturday and would speak volumes for the Sandhills area football teams. If they both make it and win...priceless. Go Scots!

I gave u last year record so u could see different team different year, i'm ok with you picking Gibbons wouldn't have it any other way the cycle coming remember when u had them 198 pound line and couldn't stop nobody. i never once said Richmond wasn't that good. Enjoy this year sir and the Scots will be be fine.
I'll enjoy next year too cause it's more of the same. Scots will get rolled again. I'm just echo what the Scots say. "We was 5-5 we was a JV team we barely got in the playoffs. Good luck against the team we blew out this season my opinion is if they throw it y'all going to need it.

I'll enjoy next year too cause it's more of the same. Scots will get rolled again. I'm just echo what the Scots say. "We was 5-5 we was a JV team we barely got in the playoffs. Good luck against the team we blew out this season my opinion is if they throw it y'all going to need it.
You are a funny Dude, Good Luck Friday. GO SCOTS!!!!

CG reminds me of Pinecrest... well coached...few penalties... taking nothing from Pinecrest but we really beat ourselves in that game, if we play smart disciplined football we'll win... play dumb and we heading back home with an L.

Oh I see its has turned into a barn burner over here. Been quite but I guess I will jump in the deep end but I must address the entire SC/RC thing. RC you are awesome this year and you will better next year but as you all said when we were curbstomping you all our time is coming. Our time is coming again just look down the road at the class coming next year OMG! Unfortunately due to our dwindling numbers the game might fade away (never thought TX and A & M would). We are both blessed to have two of the best players I have seen in NC in Hood and White. I think your team is our team his senior year before he got injured. I will caution you guys that you have not won yet and Lord knows football is a cruel game and anything can happen before you can put that belt around your waist. So haters on each side and I'm one. let RC be RC and SC will be SC. I hope they win it because at the end of the day I would prefer to say we lost to the 4aa state champs than just lost. If they think CG is better so what- Opinions are like - well you know. Now to CG if anyone wants to think CG is going to walk over SC I would not wager that. CG is very good but here is a concern I would have they have not played anyone worth a salt since week 4 or so and that was Leesville. They are going to see an animal Friday that they have not seen since RC game and by that I mean speed, speed and more speed. SC doesn't have RC speed but it ain't far off. The difference between SC and RC is size, elite qb and a wide open offense. Yes that is a lot but you put Hood on SC I would feel pretty safe they would have rolled RC. I think this will be a great game but everyone says this is not CG from last year and I agree but SC has 6 impact players playing Friday that were either in street clothes or not even at SC. Strap it on CG because we are coming. I expect this to be a dog fight and I'm pulling for the Dog from the SAC because I believe we have a few more Jimmy's & Joe's!

Last edited:
Scotland will do what Scotland does and we all know what that is. Pound that run game with the
pass sprinkled in at the appropriate times. You really didn't see that last year. Scotland is more like itself this year. Hard nose, hard hitting football. We will see come Friday night.

I would put zero credence into last years 7-6 game. Totally different CG offensively. Not to mention CG actually had 4 scoring drives in second half, the third was a TD called back then CG held SC to (-) yardage turnover on downs and CG missed a less then 20yd Fg with about 5 seconds left to give SC a 7-6 win. SC had only one scoring drive, the TD on a busted play (he was all alone) at end of first half. If you have not noticed a diff CG offense from these playoffs you will. Last year both teams were mostly underclassmen. I have seen both. It may be a 21-17 type game in which case I would lean SC, but there is a very good chance of a 42-14 win for CG. I mean very good chance. Not ready to make a pick yet

Last edited:
CG will not hold sc to 14 points and if they do it means SC wins. I'm not sure you all understand that SC is different. At the end of the day other than WF which is not a great team you all have not proven anything nor has Sc. We both got slaughtered by the one common opponent and we damn sure played them better than you all for the first half. You beat NB OMG - They were the worst 1 seed in years and Heritage could not stop a baby. I cannot wait to see the look on the fans from CG when they realize they are in for a dog fight. Sorta like that look last year when the horn went off! CG is not some juggernaut I'm sorry. seen enough football and if you went down the roster of athletes I would bet SC has a lot more Jimmy and Joe's. Football is about matchups and the one thing that kills SC besides turnovers and penalties its teams that are faster or as fast with mobile qb's. CG doesn't fit that description. You all might win and if you do I will tip my hat but this talk about CG is some juggernaut is just not factual the combined records of the teams they beat is somewhere between awful and down right shitty! This is a step up in competition if you don't know you will know Friday!

Reactions: sikner51
CG will not hold sc to 14 points and if they do it means SC wins. I'm not sure you all understand that SC is different. At the end of the day other than WF which is not a great team you all have not proven anything nor has Sc. We both got slaughtered by the one common opponent and we damn sure played them better than you all for the first half. You beat NB OMG - They were the worst 1 seed in years and Heritage could not stop a baby. I cannot wait to see the look on the fans from CG when they realize they are in for a dog fight. Sorta like that look last year when the horn went off! CG is not some juggernaut I'm sorry. seen enough football and if you went down the roster of athletes I would bet SC has a lot more Jimmy and Joe's. Football is about matchups and the one thing that kills SC besides turnovers and penalties its teams that are faster or as fast with mobile qb's. CG doesn't fit that description. You all might win and if you do I will tip my hat but this talk about CG is some juggernaut is just not factual the combined records of the teams they beat is somewhere between awful and down right shitty! This is a step up in competition if you don't know you will know Friday!

Funny how you want to talk about how SC played RC better than us the first half. Well CG put up more than twice the amount of points you did against RC in the game. As for who CG has played, yes CG was beaten badly by RC (though not as badly as Scotland was), and their other loss was against a regional finalist in Leesville. That game easily could have gone in the other direction if CG didn't run into the LR kicker. As for the playoffs, CG defense held both opponents to zero points (NB scored on defense). You were beaten by Pinecrest and were lucky to recover against Britt. So sorry if I'm not as impressed with SC's performance as you are. And I haven't seen anyone call CG a juggernaut but they sure as hell don't play as sloppy and undisciplined as SC. Yeah you guys have the experience but CG is playing great on both sides of the ball. Looking forward to Friday night.

Lol.

Jimmy’s and joes huh... well nope never said CG was a monster, but I don’t think Scotland either. I don’t know about SC, but a quick look on FB/twitter/MaxPreps tells me that last year CG had a total of 8 senior starters. 5 went to FCS or higher none as PWOs. Two went DII as scholarship players. So..... they got some jimmies. These current juniors (majority) took in and beat Sanderson and Cleveland and SE Raliegh with talent currently starting at NCSU. They were not just on the bench. Believe the low talent story at your Lea sure. I am not a connected dude,but I can read. I also know that SC did not do much vs CG, who moved and and down the field at will. A missed FG saved SC when they could not get a 1st down to close the game. My 42-14 possible is very rational if you know the most important difference between last years CG vs Now. It’s very real

Last edited:
BTW, I am actually WF guy. TBH, you could argue CG has underachieved the 2 of 3 prior years based on the talent they have sent to next level. 2017 they over achieved

Jimmy’s and joes huh... well nope never said CG was a monster, but I don’t think Scotland either. I don’t know about SC, but a quick look on FB/twitter/MaxPreps tells me that last year CG had a total of 8 senior starters. 5 went to FCS or higher none as PWOs. Two went DII as scholarship players. So..... they got some jimmies. These current juniors (majority) took in and beat Sanderson and Cleveland and SE Raliegh with talent currently starting at NCSU. They were not just on the bench. Believe the low talent story at your Lea sure. I am not a connected dude,but I can read. I also know that SC did not do much vs CG, who moved and and down the field at will. A missed FG saved SC when they could not get a 1st down to close the game. My 42-14 possible is very rational if you know the most important difference between last years CG vs Now. It’s very real
Oh we will see my man - you beat the powder puff girls all year other than WF. Yep RC rolled us like we have not been rolled in a while total beat down. Two weeks ago SD was saying the same thing. This years teams is better and we only lost by one and they got curbstomped. Now I know you are much better than SD but you don't know much about SC so I will tell you. Starting QB (ACL) last year, starting left tackle (ACL), starting DT/DE (NECK), starting ILB (Kidney Issues), starting corner (not even in the state) and starting tailback at neighboring school. So add that to your 42-14. You have now become my new trashing talking buddy. Cannot wait to get my wristband! Ask the Dr. is this the same SC team he will tell you hell no!

BTW, I am actually WF guy. TBH, you could argue CG has underachieved the 2 of 3 prior years based on the talent they have sent to next level. 2017 they over achieved
Well you sure are tooting their megaphone like you are the Father over there - LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT