ADVERTISEMENT

Scores

He caught the ball just about every time because he is just simply the best athlete out there. He did have major issues with cramps and came out several times.

Starmount has a passing attack. First play of the Grinton era was a 7-yard pass play.

Reactions: gdawg74
Starmount is unpredictable year to year but I go back to last year when mt airy was idle first round of the playoffs they gave east surry a ball game I listen to it on the radio these guys might be pretty tough and they threw that ball around pretty good tonight I'd say east won't score 52 next week

Reactions: gdawg74
He caught the ball just about every time because he is just simply the best athlete out there. He did have major issues with cramps and came out several times.

Starmount has a passing attack. First play of the Grinton era was a 7-yard pass play.

Man these bugs schools missed on him. He’s the best athlete in the state, without question. Thanks for the update Deanna, sounds like Starmount will be pretty good this year as well

EW defense and offense are simply shells of what they were two or three yrs ago. It would not surprise me one bit if EW goes 2-9 or worse!! ES was solid..but EW made them look excellent! EW line play was a flat out joke. Also best player was sidelined the entire 1st half..but it def would not have mattered.

Braves fall by 3....still working out the kinks. NB qb will hurt you for sure if you let him. Not a bad ball player. But 3 games of non conference should give he Braves time to get it together. Good luck to all.

Andrews youth and low numbers really hurt. I’m not upset and we’re going to have to be patient with this young team. I will give Smoky Mountain credit for the win but was not impressed at all for the size of school they are. Their home side wasn’t even full for their first home game. SMC Hhad a bad night but I believe every team played large schools but Hayesville. SMC will be ok come playoff time

Cramp / penalty fest for the bears in booneville. Hats off to this rams squad for a heck of a game. Shewwwww 3 hours and 40 minute football game. I think for me my take away is this of the game, bears are sitting 4 players that would be starters ( that’s not an excuse ) listening to Bareman on the radio on the way home I think he said it best , this is a line that hasn’t played a varsity snap together, gonna have to be patient with them as they are gonna get better as the weeks go by. You have a sophomore qb that threw for 300 plus yards behind that inexperienced line, and a host of skill players that wasn’t on the field because of cramps most of the night. Bears are very young. They are loaded with skill once everybody is able to be on the field, great coaching staff, I have a feeling they gonna be just fine. I agree with bearfan , rams are much better than advertised. Great first game , glad we squeaked out the win , winning ugly is much better than losing pretty. On to week 2

Wow SMC just had a big taste of humble pie tonight.
Well personally the only SMC team I thought would for sure win tonight was Cherokee. So the only thing that REALLY surprised me was Cherokee losing to a poor North Buncombe team. I also expected Rosman to be a lot more competitive against a poor East Henderson team.

Murphy was always going to have a tough time tonight with their injury issues. The Swain, Hayesville and Andrews games went about how I expected them to, although I figured Andrews would put up more fight.

Starmount was better prepared and in better condition. Several stupid penalties on the Bears really hurt them. Execution has always been a strong point for MA but not tonight. They will get better. I take into consideration that the qb is just a sophomore.

Hayesville played a good first half against Towns. Towns is pretty good this year, they return 17 seniors from a playoff team. HHS depends on 17 freshmen and sophomores. The second started with a turnover, a special teams mistake and a few missed tackles and things began to snowball. Not the outcome they wanted but did provide hope for the future. HHS lost two starting skill people this week and the sophomore replacements did fairly well. I fear their youth will produce a rollercoaster season. They probably lost another skill player for 5 or 6 weeks.

Props to Starmount; had a feeling this game would be close but figured it wouldn't be because I've felt that way before and not so much.

What happened with East Wilkes? Did Adkins leaving just kill the excitement of the kids off or is this group just not that talented?

Since this isn't a thread on 2A/3A board figured I'd post my summary here:

North Surry 41, North Forsyth 33

Never in my life have I seen a game at any level be like this one. We started at 7:30 on the dot and got done at 10:30.. yes 4 hours. We scored first and never lost the lead but darn if NF didn't give us a ball game.

In the 1st half alone we scored 34 points.. 7 came on offense. Yes we scored 28 points on defense, 21 in the 2nd quarter. 2 scope and scores in the endzone, a fumble recovery for 20 yards, and a 99 yard pick six that tied the school record. Never in my life at any level seen a team score that many so rapidly.

NF came back and made it a game though. We had 2 kids get banged up and our best WR/S had to be put on IV's for heat exhaustion it really hurt the secondary but we never quit despite their speed getting us here and there. NF passed it a ton in the 2nd half and it took 2 hrs to finish. Longest game I've ever experienced and it's not due to weather.

That was a darn solid team effort; kids played their hearts out. If we play even 60% this determined the rest of the year my goodness.

EW lost a lot of talent. The current coach arrived too late to change to the spread. They do not have a good enough line nor the athletes for that type of offense. EW is very weak on both sides of the ball. Just realtalk. Defense is not physical, and they stand around and let the play come to them, instead of making the play. They just aren't good.

I couldn’t agree with sbbfan any more on his assessment, Bears had 2 or 3 called back because of penalties, rams owned the line play. Offense was out of sync most of night , lots of confusion. When Greene and smith were sidelined on defense and offense it was very noticeable. Cramps killed hurt the team as a whole , already thin in depth with the missing 4 players, but let’s be honest , 30 / 32 players you are already pretty thin across the board , losing 4 hurts even worse, again when 2 or more players were on the bench due to cramps it hurt badly on both sides of the ball. On a positive note , that kicking game is off the map, missed 1st extra point , but rest of night looked like he will be good from 40 yds out, kickoffs most of night were deep in the back of end zone. Another positive note was seeing a sophomore qb throw for 300 plus from behind a non existent line. Bears will go as line play gets better ( they are young ) and players return. Gonna be interesting to see how they bounce back against a real good west stokes team, gonna learn a lot about new coaching staff as well, they got a week to clean up a notebook full of things.

Last edited:
Well personally the only SMC team I thought would for sure win tonight was Cherokee. So the only thing that REALLY surprised me was Cherokee losing to a poor North Buncombe team. I also expected Rosman to be a lot more competitive against a poor East Henderson team.

Murphy was always going to have a tough time tonight with their injury issues. The Swain, Hayesville and Andrews games went about how I expected them to, although I figured Andrews would put up more fight.
I thought all the SMC would win but the very young Andrews team which I believe only have 3 seniors. Youth and inexperience every where on the field. I thought our young line looked good. As for the other SMC teams who all played larger schools except Hayesville vs Towns County, it looked like every team held their own except Rosman and of course Andrews. No disrespect to Pisgah at all but you can’t tell me the outcome could have been different if Murphy would have had Roberts & McTaggert. McTaggert at any time can take it to the house and Murphy only lost by 7. Swain playing at Tuscola and only losing by 10 with a fairly young team is nothing to be ashamed of and everyone knows Swain gets better as the season goes on. Cherokee only losing by 3 after losing so many great seniors will mesh as the season goes on and I don’t want to hear how bad NB has been. It’s a new season so you can see they worked hard during the off season. Andrews, Rosman & Hayesville have a lot to work on especially dealing with youth, inexperience and low turnout. It might be a off year for all the SMC teams especially come playoff time but I sure won’t count anyone out only after one game. The usual top 4 teams will be just fine

It does appear it will be a long year for East Wilkes. Yes, losing JK has hurt the kids, especially the seniors. There is talent on the team, but learning new schemes on both sides of the ball appears to be more than they are willing to handle. East Surry is just a better club this year than East Wilkes, but most disappointing was the effort. EW played defeated from the first snap and no one looked like they wanted to be on the field. Truly surprising from a group of kids that are use to winning. I did not see the scrimmage, but I heard it was the same type of effort.

Hopefully the kids will buy into what the coaching staff is trying to accomplish. East will not face a better team that East Surry until possibly Wilkes Central at the end of the year, however they could wind up fighting with Alleghany if they are not careful for last place. Way too much talent for that outcome.

Alleghany won 56 to 6. We might not be the doormat of the mvac this year. But then again we have started out 4 and 0 due to weaker competition the last 2 years and lost every game the rest of those 2 seasons...so time will tell...but im optimistic about this group.(was last 2 seasons too though lol).

Since this isn't a thread on 2A/3A board figured I'd post my summary here:

North Surry 41, North Forsyth 33

Never in my life have I seen a game at any level be like this one. We started at 7:30 on the dot and got done at 10:30.. yes 4 hours. We scored first and never lost the lead but darn if NF didn't give us a ball game.

In the 1st half alone we scored 34 points.. 7 came on offense. Yes we scored 28 points on defense, 21 in the 2nd quarter. 2 scope and scores in the endzone, a fumble recovery for 20 yards, and a 99 yard pick six that tied the school record. Never in my life at any level seen a team score that many so rapidly.

NF came back and made it a game though. We had 2 kids get banged up and our best WR/S had to be put on IV's for heat exhaustion it really hurt the secondary but we never quit despite their speed getting us here and there. NF passed it a ton in the 2nd half and it took 2 hrs to finish. Longest game I've ever experienced and it's not due to weather.

That was a darn solid team effort; kids played their hearts out. If we play even 60% this determined the rest of the year my goodness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT