ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Big news as Roy Williams retires from UNC basketball. Question is. Who will take the head coach job.

Those are the two I’ve heard a lot. Used to hear Stackhouse and Haase some, but their Vandy and Stanford teams have underperformed.

Can’t blame Roy, if I was 70 and rich I’d be over dealing with teenagers and sports parents, too.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Pay attention. We are witnessing the end of college sports as we know it. Free for all, wild, wild west transfers, NIL (name, image and likeness) paying of players, too much parental involvement, etc.. Roy won’t be the last HOF coach to hang it up in the next twelve months. Last I checked, over 1200 players in the transfer portal. And last year, only 23% found a team. It will be lower this year percentage wise.
I’m not against change, but I am for improvement. Not seeing much of that.

Pay attention. We are witnessing the end of college sports as we know it. Free for all, wild, wild west transfers, NIL (name, image and likeness) paying of players, too much parental involvement, etc.. Roy won’t be the last HOF coach to hang it up in the next twelve months. Last I checked, over 1200 players in the transfer portal. And last year, only 23% found a team. It will be lower this year percentage wise.
I’m not against change, but I am for improvement. Not seeing much of that.
Agree 100%, Dickie V said this morning on Dan Patrick Show, when it’s over it will be over 2000 in the transfer portal.

I am happy with it. I personally am not part of the crowd that wanted us to hire away a big time P5 coach. Hubert has the same experience Roy had when Kansas hired him (UNC assistant and JV head coach) except a decade+ in the NBA instead of a few years at Owen High.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I just wish Hubert Davis the best and hopefully a successful time while he is at UNC.

This day has been in the works in one way or another since May 2, 2012 when he left ESPN to sit beside Coach Williams. Not a sexy hire but I think Hubert will do a fantastic job in Chapel Hill. I think he'll add a few former players to the bench, can't wait until the Fall!

I am happy with it. I personally am not part of the crowd that wanted us to hire away a big time P5 coach. Hubert has the same experience Roy had when Kansas hired him (UNC assistant and JV head coach) except a decade+ in the NBA instead of a few years at Owen High.
What he also brings is NBA and television success. In today’s free agent environment, that’s what’s important to high school kids. I’m not at all concerned with his lack of head coaching experience. Playing for Dean and sitting beside Roy for nine years is an experience not many head coaches have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT