ADVERTISEMENT

Round 1 playoffs, post scores here

That'll never happen. Getting ready to break ground on a new 20 some million dollar campus for TCEC. It'll just continue to grow like most all charter type schools. I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy was the size of Rville 10 years from now, if it even still exists.
I don't know when, but eventually there will be two high schools in this county: Cherokee County High and TCEC. Numbers continue to fall at Murphy, Andrews and HD. They'll probably push for a Cherokee Co West (Ranger) and Cherokee Co East (Marble) as an intermediate step but eventually that will be untenable as well.

Personally I will never support consolidation as long as Conley and others are hellbent on splitting up Murphy's current student body. The only plan I would support is a central high school for the whole county. Murphy is the geographic, demographic and economic center of the county, as much as it upsets some it's the only logical place to put a consolidated high school. I'm not suggesting to keep the Murphy name if that happened either, figure something out that represents the whole county.

The biggest blow back on a one high solution is the travel arguments but they are largely bunk, it's no farther to Murphy from Topton or Culberson than it is from Unaka or parts of Beaver Dam. Plenty of kids are already traveling from Hiwassee Dam or Andrews to Peachtree for the early college, very similiar travel distance. The travel would be a hardship for some but the needs of the many should always outweigh the needs of the few.

Last edited:
Early colleges are killing enrollments across the state. Here in rural Edgecombe County, our early college is growing quickly and just finished expanding campus buildings. Two realignments from now, SW Edgecombe will be 1A, Tarboro will remain 1A, and North Edgecombe, currently with 190 students, will close their doors. Like someone said earlier, how could you blame students serious about academics for choosing early colleges? And I know of none that play sports.

What is invalid about your argument is that there are many kids that through online avenues are graduating from HD, Andrews, and Murphy with an associates and a diploma. In fact I believe more graduated with an associates from those 3 than the early college graduated last year. The early college is a waste of time and resources.

What is invalid about your argument is that there are many kids that through online avenues are graduating from HD, Andrews, and Murphy with an associates and a diploma. In fact I believe more graduated with an associates from those 3 than the early college graduated last year. The early college is a waste of time and resources.

Agree to some extent. As someone responsible for interviewing and hiring the past 40 years, I see a miss in the daily social interaction with some students. School settings help teach social awareness and basic communication skills some applicants will miss from on line only classes. Just my thought!

The all online thing is definitely not the way to go. In some situations yes but not on a broad scale. An actual early college program in which students are physically in the classroom helps prepare for a 4 year school whereas a strictly online program not so much. Not every degree can be earned online. Also I'll 2nd the motion about students missing out on communication and social skills by stritcly being online.

Reactions: Swain97
Early college puts more state tax money into the community college system. You and I are paying TWICE for that student in most systems. Once for a public school teacher and AGAIN for the community FTE( full time). The question becomes where does the high school end and the community college begin. The Governor, NC General Aasembly, and state Board of Education have NOT decided! And the High school coaches and Athletic Directors have not approached or explained our situation to local boards! Add open enrollment, charters, specialization, selfish parents, and poverty in rural areas and we have a problem!

Early college puts more state tax money into the community college system. You and I are paying TWICE for that student in most systems. Once for a public school teacher and AGAIN for the community FTE( full time). The question becomes where does the high school end and the community college begin. The Governor, NC General Aasembly, and state Board of Education have NOT decided! And the High school coaches and Athletic Directors have not approached or explained our situation to local boards! Add open enrollment, charters, specialization, selfish parents, and poverty in rural areas and we have a problem!

How are we paying twice?

Don’t know if you know but the head coach is Travis Gaster the son of Jack Gaster who coached at Albemarle. Travis played for his dad at Albemarle. His mother was also the principal or assistant principal at North Rowan during that time.Does Princeton still run the single wing?

I thought Princeton just ran the single wing during the Harvey Brooks era back in the 70s and 80s.

this is wrong, wrong, and uh wrong. Sure taxpayers are paying for additional high school teachers. (Few more jobs yay) but the community college instructors are already there teaching college age students. I'm not sure what athletic directors have to do with anything, seeing as it has nothing to do with athletics, only education. Which is, you know, what kids go to school for...

We live in a poor, rural area, and the EC has been a great opportunity for many of our kids...whether they be wealthy, median, or lower income. EC has been a tremendous benefit to education, which is what it's supposed to be about anyway. These anti-EC comments are simply ridiculous
They are trying to lump early colleges in with charter schools, because in their little Robbinsville minds, it offers some sort of advantage.

Most of the comments are not from Robbinsville fans but dont let facts get in your way mountie.

I thought Princeton just ran the single wing during the Harvey Brooks era back in the 70s and 80s.
I was told they still run the single wing and looking at their roster on Maxpreps there is no QB listed on their roster and they have only attempted 23 passes during the regular season.

If that happened wouldn't Murphy be exactly the same as ten years ago? 1aa wasn't to worried then.

This is the only comment in 2 pages from a Robbinsville fan about the EC. Not one comment is trying to lump them with charters. Facts dont matter to you do they?

Hayesville may be considering calling in more security. The 11 fans from Albermarle may be hard to control.

Reactions: Swain97
I was worried about Albermarle rushing game being to much for Hayesville. Hayesville gave up alot of rushing yds to Robbinsville and Murphy.

Its not a charter school, its not a charter-type school. An early college is a school where students earn their associates degree while earning their high school diploma. A charter school is a public school billed as an alternative to county or city based schools. There is no degree involved. Im sure you already knew that, but God forbid facts get in the way of a narrative...
What I meant by "charter type" is that it is non-traditional. Not just anyone can go there. There is an application and selection process.

God forbid we provide a great option for our kids. Any kid thinking about going to college is crazy to not consider an early college program imo. 5 years to get a hs diploma and associates. Transfer and have a bachelors by the time you're 21? Why not?

An EC is nothing like a charter and is held to the same standards and testing a traditional public school is.
I don't read anywhere in there where I said it was a bad thing

What I meant by "charter type" is that it is non-traditional. Not just anyone can go there. There is an application and selection process.
Charters select by a random lottery. You have to have an excellent GPA and teacher recommendation o be accepted into an EC.

How many football players attend your school
1 from Avery county, none that I know of from Mountain Heritage, and 0 from Mitchell. There are 8 students from Mitchell county, 16 from Avery county, and 19 from Yancey county. Mitchell is still 1aa, so is Avery. Don't where the advantage is bud.

1 from Avery county, none that I know of from Mountain Heritage, and 0 from Mitchell. There are 8 students from Mitchell county, 16 from Avery county, and 19 from Yancey county. Mitchell is still 1aa, so is Avery. Don't where the advantage is bud.
Would it be an advantage if about 30 more kids from Mitchell that didnt play football went to the EC and the EC had an athletic program, and the students were not allowed to play at Mitchell and thus not counted in the ADM?

Im not saying it would be an advantage, just asking your thoughts.....
Personally I think it depends on who your asking. Bad for the school system losing kids, good for the EC. From the football perspective, I guess it would depend on whether you think youre better off at the 1A of the 1AA.....

Last edited:
Would it be an advantage if about 30 more kids from Mitchell that didnt play football went to the EC and the EC had an athletic program, and the students were not allowed to play at Mitchell and thus not counted in the ADM?

Im not saying it would be an advantage, just asking your thoughts.....
EC students aren't allowed to participate in sports, and their enrollment is not counted in adm's. And to answer your question, no I see no inherent advantage. We all know what Robbinsville fans argument is, and I just don't see it. Knights fans are the only ones who whine about it. There are early colleges in almost half the counties in the state. It is purely academic. I am all for the advancement of education in North Carolina, cause apparently there are some really dumb people out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT