ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Rough Draft of Proposed NC State Tourney Schedule

Post 36

Jun 6, 2007
Please shoot holes in this as I've spent about 5 minutes putting together a rotating schedule to propose for the State Tournament going forward.
Including Games 5-8 for Day 2 in the first schedule; however, they will always remain the same as normal in the Legion bracket to ensure teams from the same Area have a chance to meet in the winners bracket final on Day 3.

If the Host wins the Area Championship and secures the #1 Seed; then Games 3 & 4 simply switch to accommodate the Host team having the last game of the day.

Area 1 - Host
Game 1: Area 3 - #1 vs. Area 4 - #2
Game 2: Area 4 - #1 vs. Area 3 - #2
Game 3: Area 1 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2
Game 4: Area 2 - #1 vs Host

Game 5: Loser of Gm 1 vs Loser Gm 3
Game 6: Loser of Gm 2 vs Loser Gm 4
Game 7: Winner of Gm 1 vs Winner Gm 3
Game 8: Winner of Gm 2 vs Winner Gm 4

Area 2 - Host
Game 1: Area 4 - #1 vs Area 1 #2
Game 2: Area 1 - #1 vs Area 4 #2
Game 3: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 3 #2
Game 4: Area 3 - #1 vs Host

Area 3 - Host
Game 1: Area 1 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2
Game 2: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 1 - #2
Game 3: Area 3 - #1 vs Area 4 - #2
Game 4: Area 4 - #1 vs Host

Area 4 - Host
Game 1: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 3 - #2
Game 2: Area 3 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2
Game 3: Area 4 - #1 vs Area 1 - #2
Game 4: Area 1 - #1 vs Host

I'm totally open to suggestions and comments. Since all teams attend orientation the day before the tournament starts, travel for the teams is not an issue, but I do realize travel for fans is an issue for 9:30 games. Historically, the 9:30 games, especially on a weekday are poorly attended. That's the only downside I see. Please let me know if you like this better or prefer to leave it the same as the past.

Looks good to me. That's the way it should be done. At one time back a good many years ago I seem to remember for a couple years there seemed to be an attempt at some type of rotation. In any case leaving it the same as it has been done in the recent pass is not preferable since there was not consistency.

As far as travel considerations for the fans the most important thing is for the times for the day 1 games be announced ASAP and not change.....unlike what happened this year. Your proposal takes care of that.

Post36
I like this idea and agree that it needs to be this way. The one thing that I noticed is that area 3 and area 1 never get to play in the first round in the 4 year cycle. I would like to see every area play once in the 4 years in the first round.

I caught that before submitting to the Legion folks, but thanks for the reply. Thought a cyclical rotation would resolve, but it took a little more thought. Here is what I sent.

If the Host wins the Area Championship and secures the #1 Seed; then Games 3 & 4 opponents simply swap to accommodate the Host team having the last game of the day as shown in first example.

Area 1 - Host

Game 2: Area 4 - #1 vs. Area 3 - #2 Host Champion Adjustment

Game 3: Area 1 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2 Game 3: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 1 - #2

Game 4: Area 2 - #1 vs Host Game 4: Area 1 - #1 (Host) vs Area 2 - #2

Area 2 - Host

Area 3 - Host

Game 1: Area 2 - #1 vs Area 4 - #2

Game 2: Area 4 - #1 vs Area 2 - #2

Game 3: Area 3 - #1 vs Area 1 - #2

Area 4 - Host

Game 3: Area 4 - #1 vs Area 3 - #2

From what I heard South Carolina is going to go Best of 5 all the way through until they have a Upper State and Lower State Champion. Both those winners will play a best of 3 series at the Columbia Fireflies stadium!

NC should do the same accept the finals should be a 5 game series. back in the 1990's the final 2 series were 7 game series . and area 3 played 7 game series in the final 2 rounds. in other words, the first 2 rounds in area 3 were 5 game series and the next 2 series were 7 game series, then area 3 played area 4 and area 1 played area 2 a 7 game series and winners played a 7 game series

each team would have more fans playing games on home field, , the 5 games in state finals could be played on 1 of the 2 teams home field.. teams would make more money , some fans cant go to the state tournament.

Last edited:
area finals would need to start sooner. ,the 4 area champs would have to play 2 , 5 game series after the area finals instead of state tournament to win the state.. would need to start playoff about a week sooner, or have only 8 teams in the playoffs from each area, with 32 teams in the playoffs (8 from each area) would need to play 5, 5 game series, would need 5 weeks for the playoff for rain dates. each round could start on a Friday , which would be Friday June 22, June 29, July 6, July 13, and July 20 in 2018.....................not sure would want to have only 4 teams in playoffs from each area , and would be hard to have more than 8 teams in playoffs in each area

Last edited:
Please shoot holes in this as I've spent about 5 minutes putting together a rotating schedule to propose for the State Tournament going forward.
Including Games 5-8 for Day 2 in the first schedule; however, they will always remain the same as normal in the Legion bracket to ensure teams from the same Area have a chance to meet in the winners bracket final on Day 3.

If the Host wins the Area Championship and secures the #1 Seed; then Games 3 & 4 simply switch to accommodate the Host team having the last game of the day.

Area 1 - Host

Area 2 - Host

Area 3 - Host

Area 4 - Host

I'm totally open to suggestions and comments. Since all teams attend orientation the day before the tournament starts, travel for the teams is not an issue, but I do realize travel for fans is an issue for 9:30 games. Historically, the 9:30 games, especially on a weekday are poorly attended. That's the only downside I see. Please let me know if you like this better or prefer to leave it the same as the past.
South Carolina format is the best format, accept the final should be 5 games

From what I heard South Carolina is going to go Best of 5 all the way through until they have a Upper State and Lower State Champion. Both those winners will play a best of 3 series at the Columbia Fireflies stadium!
nc should go to the sc format accept finals should be 5 games. all game should be played on west champs home in 2019 and east 2020 rotate between east and west every other year. wouldnt need a host ,. High Point would be the host team in 2018 sense they have already planed to host in 2018 but wouldn't get to play in the finals unless they win the west .

Last edited:
Didn't want to start another thread but does anyone know if league IV had their meeting yet? Is Huntersville going to have a team this year?

Area 1 - Host

Area 2 - Host

Area 3 - Host

Area 4 - Host

need to change to the South Carolina format

South Carolina Updated:
Only going to have 16 teams in South Carolina make the playoffs for senior. They have 8 total leagues. Top two teams make the playoffs from each league. They divide the state up by lower and upper state. 4 Leagues in Upper and 4 Leagues in Lower. 8 teams from upper state make the playoffs and 8 teams from the lower state make the playoffs.

Upper State and Lower State will each play 2 rounds of 3 out of 5 to have 4 teams left. Two in the Upper and Two in the Lower.

Then the new wrinkle now is they will play a double elimination tournament at Fireflys stadium in Columbia SC!

if NC had only 16 playoff teams they could play 3 out of 5 all the way though the state playoffs, area 3 , north 1 seed vs area 3 south 2 seed , and area 3 , south 1 seed vs area 3 north 2 seed, 2 winners play for area championship . area 3 champion plays area 4 champion, area 2 champion plays area 1 champion, , 2 winners play in state finals

Last edited:
if NC used the SC format there would be only 1 team from each area in the state tournament. therefore they should play 3 out of 5 though out the state finals

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT