ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman vs Brevard

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
For the first time in quite some time or maybe even ever, Rosman was OPEN for the first week of the season.....The same cannot be said for their first opponent this week as Brevard signaled their return to respectability last week with a convincing win on the road at Andrews(41-6) against a team that beat them in Brevard last season....

The Rosman/Brevard rivalry is really in its infancy as the two teams have only played 12 times since Rosman started a football program in 1959....Of course, back in those days Brevard was a 3A powerhouse around the state playing and winning State and Regional titles back in the day....Transylvania County back in those days had the lowest employment rate in the state of N.C. thanks to Ecusta, Dupont and American Thread....All those industries have long since left Transylvania County, and a lot of the Blue Collar kids left with them as a lot of families have since moved away which has dramatically affected the once 1,000+ Student body of the Bluedevils whose numbers are now reported to be hovering around the 800 mark, making Brevard a small 2A school, presently.....

Brevard won the first 9 games in this series , dating back to the first-ever meeting in the fall of 1975 when the Bluedevils throttled the Tigers 40-6, and again in 76'(49-7) before the teams took a 20yr break in the County battle which continued in 1997 with a 41-6 Brevard win over the eventual state 1A runnerups from Rosman as Jim Fox returned to face former Rosman Coach Dan Essenburg who had left the Tigers to return to Brevard, and Dan also had a very fine team that year that lost a hard fought game to Eastern Randolph in the playoffs, later that year, I think?....

Rosman played the Bluedevils off their feet in 1998, but came up a little short, losing 23-13, but later that season the Tigers shared the SMC title with Hendersonville and star RB Vincent Neclos before losing to Maiden in the 3rd round of the playoffs...It was also the first and last time that Rosman beat every current member of the SMC in the same season....

The two teams played again at the turn of the new Millineum with Brevard scoring 41pts in both wins and the Tigers only managing to score 6pts in 1999 to extend the losing streak to the Bluedevils to 6....

The next 3 games basically ended the series for a little while between the two teams as Brevard shutout the Tigers 49-0 in 2005 and 40-0 in 2006 to extend their winning streak over the Tigers to 8 games overall....

2007 marked the beginning of changes in this rivalry as Brevard blasted the Tigers 62-3 in Rosman in former Rosman Coach Brian Bailey's debut.....Brevard would later make a deep playoff run, losing at Lincolnton in the final 2 minutes on a long TD run by C.J.Wilson who broke a tackle, and raced 50+yds with the game winner.....The Bluedevils have not been back to that stage of the playoffs since that time, and have had their own struggles since then with 4 different Head Coaches since that season, counting current Coach Craig Pritchett....

After several seasons of despair by both teams since that 2007 season, both teams seem to finally be turning the corner back to respectability.....

Beginning in 2013, the series between Brevard and Rosman resumed in Brevard, and Rosman won for the first time ever that season as the Tigers rallied behind a strong Sophomore class led by Tanner Green and Gage Orr to beat the Bluedevils 40-27 to mark Rosman's first-ever Transylvania County title, and first win in Brevard against the Bluedevils...It was however not the first time Rosman had won a football game in Brevard as the Tigers played in Brevard until their own field was constructed, and ready for that first game against Bakersfield in 1968 which was a magical season for former Coach Bill Cathy who would later retire from Coaching football after that season...A season in which the Tigers advanced to the state 1A semifinals, losing to Boone Trail(26-20) in the mud in Brevard.. A game in which the Tigers led at the half....It would be the final "HOME" game for Rosman in Brevard as the Tigers have played in Tigertown at Silversteen Stadium since that time....Joseph Silversteen donated the land , and volunteers made a football field where there once was a swamp on one end, and a baseball field on the other end.....Bill Cathy always refused to call the home of the Tigers Silversteen Stadium, but rather chose to call it the Rosman Football Field.....

In 2014, Rosman beat the Bluedevils for the first time ever 28-14 in Rosman as both Green and Orr scored TDs ....Green suffered a knee sprain which hampered him the rest of the season, while Gage Orr went on to lead the SMC in rushing as a Junior....

Last year, Rosman extended their winning streak over the Bluedevils to 3 games, and did so in convincing fashion 42-7, but in the process, lost SR. QB Josh Rice for most of the regular season, which had a definite impact on the season as a whole, although the season did finish with a winning record for the first time in over 10 yrs.....

This year, Rosman is very Young after graduating a large and talented Senior Class last year.....On the other hand, Brevard returns Preseason WNCAC Preseason Player of the year QB Tanner Ellenberger along with as many as 18 other Seniors I've been told, so Brevard will definitely have the advantage as far as experience goes, and the Bluedevils also have the motivational factor of ending their 3-year losing streak to Rosman and giving Coach Craig Pritchett his first Transylvania County Championship.....

Emotions will likely be running higher than normal on friday night in the opener for the Tigers as legendary Coach Bill Cathy will have the Football Field named in his honor.....Coach as most know still lives in Rosman, and is still jogging into his late 80's and early 90's....Bill Cathy was Rosman's first Head Football Coach, a former town Mayor,School Principal, School Superintendent and School Board Member, so he's been a fixture in the Transylvania County school system since he first arrived from Bakersfield back in 1958......

When there's been any past discussion of Consolidation between Rosman and Brevard, Coach Cathy has always been against the idea, and his feelings are still the same to this day....Don't believe me?.....Ask him!......And ask him what color his blood is, and he will tell you he bleeds Orange....

Doubt he would ever read this forum, but I will certainly congratulate him when I see him....

After this friday, it will not be called the Rosman Football Field any longer, but instead will be rightly named for the man who has inspired generations of young people throughout Transylvania County, and continues to do so to this day...

So welcome Bluedevil fans to Silversteen Stadium and Coach Cathy Field....

As for the game, Brevard will be a heavy favorite this year to end the streak, and start one of their own, but I will be there rooting for those little ole' scrawny but scrappy Rosman Tigers nonetheless!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Congratulations to Coach Cathey! Should be a great game and I wouldn't call Brevard the heavy favorite after the past few seasons. Hopefully we will have some good weather. It feels like it's rained every evening for the past 3 weeks in Transylvania County.

Hope the devils can build on last fridays win,heres to a good game and best of luck to both teams.

First off, congratulations to the Bluedevils, and good luck the rest of the season....Looks like the WNCAC is going to be much more difficult this year than it was last year, based on early season results!

As for the game, it was about what I expected when asked earlier this week what I thought the outcome would be, and I told a friend that the score would probably be similar to the Andrews game, and it was ....

Brevard has a very large senior class as Rosman had last year, and a lot of those kids have played together a long time is what I was told at the game last night, and it showed.....It was somewhat strange to see the grandkids of former Rosman players now playing for the Bluedevils,, but that's the way it is nowadays in this County....Thought the Shook kid who transferred back to Brevard this year had a good game, and would have helped the Tigers this year, but guess you've got to be from Rosman to want to play for Rosman....At least , that's the way I see it, but I wish him nothing but the best....

As for the atmosphere, it quite possibilly was the biggest crowd to watch a football game in Rosman since the Burlington Cummings/Rosman playoff game back in 1997, and may have been the biggest crowd to EVER watch a Brevard/Rosman game, but someone who follows the attendance for these County battles would have to confirm that?....Both stands were packed, and there were fans lining the fence all around Silversteen Stadium with people parked at the other end of town up around the pool near the town hall of Rosman..This game is a definite money-maker for the schools, and showed last night why this game HAS TO BE PLAYED EVERY YEAR.....I was disappointed that Coach Cathy was not honored at halftime instead of before the game, but that's just my opinion.....Just believe that he should have been honored with all the fans in attendance because he's had such a big impact on not just Rosman but the Transylvania County School system as a whole, but was glad to see Coach Cathy interviewed by WLOS last night prior to the game....

The Stadium looked tremendous with all the new upgrades, and Silversteen Stadium is once again fan-friendly as the Prison fence is NO more, thank goodness....No more standing in mud along the sidelines either as the sidelines around the field has been paved since last year with Brick Columns also at each corner of the field that adjoin the new 4' fence surrounding the field....Very nice upgrade for the newly named Cathy Field, but can we please get the field clocks fixed along with the "ball on" indicator on the scoreboard?....Seems like these problems have been happening for years now, and it makes it harder to follow the game when the ball is on the other end of the field, and I'm getting too old to run up and down the sidelines like I used to do...

As for the Tigers, we are extremely young, but very talented as we were 4 years ago when Green, Orr, Rice and Company were Sophomores....The Stewart kid is going to be one of the better passing QBs that Rosman has ever had before he's through....That's right, I said passing QB...lol!....Lots of talented skill players for the Tigers, but there is going to be some serious growing pains this year, and those began last night, thanks to Brevard ....

As most have probably noticed, the Tiger fans seemed to have disappeared on this forum with the exception of myself, so it begs the question:

Are Tiger fans still as passionate about their Tigers as they use to be?

Based on the responses on this forum, I would say NO, but based on the large crowd last night, I would say YES!

Guess we will find out which is true moving forward!

Next up, Madison County next friday night in Tigertown!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Good summary Rick,experience tells the tale from last year to now,best of luck to your tigers the rest of the season.

Yeah, it is amazing if you think about it because a missed extra point is all the difference between the score from last year(42-7) and the score this year(41-7)....Just kinda sums up what life is like for most small 1A schools like Rosman and small 2A schools like Brevard......A big Senior class is great one year, but the drop the following year can be pretty tough to say the least...

Again, good luck to the Bluedevils, I believe that you got the right guy to bring the program back to respectability!

Hope all the kids that were injured during the game will have a quick and successful recovery, moving forward!

We need to cherish the game of football for now because I fear we will not recognize the sport in the very near future....Again, just my opinion!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Yeah, it is amazing if you think about it because a missed extra point is all the difference between the score from last year(42-7) and the score this year(41-7)....Just kinda sums up what life is like for most small 1A schools like Rosman and small 2A schools like Brevard......A big Senior class is great one year, but the drop the following year can be pretty tough to say the least...

Again, good luck to the Bluedevils, I believe that you got the right guy to bring the program back to respectability!

Hope all the kids that were injured during the game will have a quick and successful recovery, moving forward!

We need to cherish the game of football for now because I fear we will not recognize the sport in the very near future....Again, just my opinion!

Roar Tigers Roar!
Great informative posts as always Rick. Look forward to seeing your remodeled stadium. Good luck to your Tigers this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT