ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman getting middle school football team!!!

TigerDen1

Aug 20, 2017
I love this. Especially since numbers for youth have dropped off recently. Plus Rosman plays in a stupid youth league that puts restrictions on weight. I believe this will be huge for Tiger's. So glad we have a Coach that's passionate about football. Congratulations Coach Stack for getting this done.

Reactions: Rhinos87
I agree Tigerden. I think this is a huge step in the right direction! I never have understood the weight restrictions. It’s hard to tell a kid to hit the weights but also cut weight to make the weight limit for football. We’ve always had a few bigger kids get discouraged and just not play football. Usually because they are in 7th grade and can’t make weight for youth and feel like they can’t compete on JV. I’m proud of coach Stack for taking a stand and implementing change. It needed to be done.

Agree Rhinos, this is huge. There are already some parents whining on Facebook about the poor youth league. Rosman's youth league is successful, however the ? Has always been why don't that translate. Well here is your answer, the last great youth league team was the junior class now. 2 super bowl appearances, and we beat the same kids from Reynolds that played in state this year, Flynn, St Onge. But now the youth league teams have dropped off tremendously some weekends there is no teams to play and your playing against kids that are 6th and 7th, were some of Rosman kids are 8th and 9th grade depending on age. It's ridiculous. And then you throw in the mix the only thing the Midget coaches work on is offense no defense. That's why when the kids finally show up to JVs, those coaches are starting from ground zero. I mean are biggest struggle this year on varsity was deffense. So wake up parents and get on board stop whining.

Last edited:
Will they drop jvs or how does that work ? Wish smc to reg jvs and middle school football

Facebook is definitely heating up about this subject! It amazes me how most people are so scared of change. Even if it is for the betterment of our program. That’s what it should be about, the future of our program. I look forward to a middle school football team. It will definitely be a rocky transition since the nay sayers will be out in full force. We’ll have the ones that think it’s ruining tradition and the ones that think it will never work. Bottom line is, you never know until you try. At this point we have nothing to lose!
Youth football in general is slowly going away whether we like it or not. I think it mostly has to do with the “concussion”era but I also think most parents are encouraging their kids to do different sports and specialize in a year round travel sport!

Question guys, how does middle school football work at Robbinsville and in the Smoky Mountain Conference. Do 7th and 8th graders play jayvees with 9th graders?

I would disagree with the only thing the midget coaches work on is offense , they know to win you have to stop people ! It is a huge step up from midgets to jv ball at rosman ! I do agree that going to a middle school program is a good move ! So good luck to our new program hopefully it will be a huge success!!

I would disagree with the only thing the midget coaches work on is offense , they know to win you have to stop people ! It is a huge step up from midgets to jv ball at rosman ! I do agree that going to a middle school program is a good move ! So good luck to our new program hopefully it will be a huge success!!
Ask all those great youth program kids the Rice kids, Shook,Deland, Luke, Gage.They all told me the only thing that got worked on at youth practice was offense. Which Weldon is great coach but it's the truth.

If you look all across the States this is how it's done. I think SMC only conference in state that does not have middle school programs. Our Jv teams can only play each other due to the fact we have 7,8,9 on JVs were everyone else has 9,10 graders on JVs.

Tiger you think it will be hard to field just a 9th grade jv team ? That seems a hard task

Reactions: BK13T-$
96 Tiger have you been to a Midget practice? Cause if you have than you know why defense is Rosman's Achilles Heel. Ask everyone else in SMC typically we move the ball on offense but we always give up too many big possessions. Even when Freddie was coaching. We just tend to give up the big play. This all starts at the youth level.

Last edited:
You don’t win consistently on any level without some defense ! I know our defense on varsity and jv hasn’t been up to par! You have to work on timing on offense when you’re a predominately a running team so yes you do work on offense more ! But you can’t sit and tell me the won aome superbowls just outscoring people

You don’t win consistently on any level without some defense ! I know our defense on varsity and jv hasn’t been up to par! You have to work on timing on offense when you’re a predominately a running team so yes you do work on offense more ! But you can’t sit and tell me the won aome superbowls just outscoring people
We won those super bowls with older kids. The last 2 supper bowls we lost with this junior class same problem no defense. You know at one time WNC youth allowed us to play 9th graders down at midget level depending on age. So we basically whipped up on younger kids. I know this makes people upset but it's the truth. Once they changed that rule not as much success. Also we are playing kids that don't make there middle school teams. So are so called studs are playing those other schools B team. You have to see this??? You may not want to admit it but that's the truth. I told my grandson whose a junior now there were only 4 kids off of his midget team that could hit and if nobody didn't help them it was going to be horrible at JV and high school level. That's the first thing Coach Stack said end of season was wow we are well behind on that level.

i Never knew of any 9th graders ever being young enough to play youth ball !!!! Most of the teams yes it is b level players but rosman isn’t always playing with out of this world talent at every position so I think that evens out! And no we haven’t been very aggressive on defense when it comes to contact. So now let’s see if this new middle school team will help out and our kids get more aggressive

i Never knew of any 9th graders ever being young enough to play youth ball !!!! Most of the teams yes it is b level players but rosman isn’t always playing with out of this world talent at every position so I think that evens out! And no we haven’t been very aggressive on defense when it comes to contact. So now let’s see if this new middle school team will help out and our kids get more aggressive
When coach Bailey was there all those kids played down on midgets cause they didn't like the coach. The last 2 appearances we lost had about 3 to 4 9th graders. Dave's kid, Minor, Lance can't remember the rest. It doesn't even out as far as the B teams because we aren't getting better and learning. But I'm hoping we can make this middle school program a success

When I played the age limit was about the same , I was one of the older kids in my 9th grade class because of my birthday and no one in my class could’ve played on age ! Well some of that has to fall upon the jv coaches not getting it done as well as varsity , also the kids ha e to work harder to get better ! We can’t put all of our lack of success on the youth league coaches ! If we’re looking at these junior and seniors upcoming my opinion they were not being coached well on defense by our prior coaching staff under whitman

Besides tiger den we should be trying to do what we can to get coach stack some help we’ve got two openings to get filled

When I played the age limit was about the same , I was one of the older kids in my 9th grade class because of my birthday and no one in my class could’ve played on age ! Well some of that has to fall upon the jv coaches not getting it done as well as varsity , also the kids ha e to work harder to get better ! We can’t put all of our lack of success on the youth league coaches ! If we’re looking at these junior and seniors upcoming my opinion they were not being coached well on defense by our prior coaching staff under whitman
96 Tiger I'm not saying it's all on youth league coaches but they do have some blame. None of those coaches wanted to work with high school coaches. Not Bailey. Freddie, and now midget parents with Coach Stack. It kills me. Trust me I was not a coach Whitman fan. He drove a lot of kids away. And he takes the most blame but youth coaches can and should do better.

Besides tiger den we should be trying to do what we can to get coach stack some help we’ve got two openings to get filled
I agree can't wait for next year. I hope we can get some great coaches in to help. We have a lot of work to do on defense.

That’s true about the midget parents now I agree whole heartedly! A lot of the varsity coaches I know this for a fact has never supported the youth programs either ! Yes Freddie ran off kids and talented kids ! That’s the past we’ve got to build our program back ! I’m also looking forward to the new season !

Reactions: TigerDen1
I heard that they wanted to move all middle school sports into that league. But I'm not 100% sure.

I heard that they wanted to move all middle school sports into that league. But I'm not 100% sure.
Haven't heard that in about 2 years. I know at one time that was brought up due to $ and travel times. But did not get approved, but I don't blame School board for making us make the move at least for middle school. It's tough traveling like we do and cost a fortune.

Youth football is a far cry from middle school football. Just as middle school is a far cry from JV. In youth/Rec/daddy football on offense it's sweep right, sweep left, reverse, then flea-flicker. On defense, it's gap 8 or 7 diamond, gap assignment defense with man coverage. They play "whack-a-mole" defense. If the sweep is killing you, move your best players to the edge, If they have a kid that can catch move your best player to cover him. This mentally might work in Rec. league and is great for featuring "daddies Rec. League All-Star" but doesn't translate to school ball where the talent is more diverse. The introduction of middle school football will allow for offensive schemes and defensive responsibilities to be a watered down version of the varsity's. It will allow for reads on defense as opposed to "go get them" or "Timmy blitz". On offense the holes and formations can to learned as well as basic route combos and run schemes. Stack started this process at his last gig and was faced with similar resistance. Change is not always easy just necessary and constant. With your new middle school and jv arrangement you can at least play teams from outside your conference to get some "new blood" into the mix.............. The definition of insanity is doing the samething over and over and expecting the result to change....

That's exactly what happens at youth league level at Rosman. They also go straight from youth to JV and don't understand the offense or defense. Can't make a read. Half of them don't know what a read is. Most of the people are excited, however there are a few going off on Facebook,but they sound stupid.

As with most powerhouse programs the earlier the kids can run the same system and, the more game reps they can get as a cohesive unit, the better the end result will be. Their will be some kids left behind and, a few less participation trophies handed out but, the cream will raise. This is the price for fielding consistent talent at the high school level. The middle schools in this county do a "5th quarter" before the middle school game begins. It is a 8:00 clock where each team has 4:00 on offense and 4:00 on defense. The only stipulation is that the "5th quarter" kids can not start on offense or defense in the middle school game. They can play just not start. The major advantage of this is if a kid doesn't come to practice he just watches where as in rec. League the kids/parents have a pay to play attitude. It forces kids to commit to something bigger than themselves.

There also needs to be a sit down between the youth coach and the middle school coach. Let the Rec. League roster all of the eligible kids that haven't aged out and, if the middle school coach can't use them allow them to play youth. Rec. League reps are better than no reps. Or, better yet, allow the kids to dual participate. Be a piece or the puzzle for the school team and a Rec. League All Star on Saturdays.

I don't know if this will work or not because it is something new?.....I just don't see how Rosman can field both a Middle School and JV football program at the same time, so I'm guessing that freshman will now play varsity if there aren't enough players to field a JV team?....I also don't understand all this criticism of the Youth League coaches who at the very least, kept kids interested enough to play the sport of football.....I haven't attended any Youth League practices, so I don't know what they do, or do not work on, but I do know some of the Coaches, and all the kids who played for those coaches seemed to like them very much, and that too is important....If kids don't like the Coaches, they don't play the sport of football....

This whole new concept could once again divide the fan base, and that would be a disaster...

As for whether the Tigers are positioning themselves to leave the SMC, I don't know if that's the case or not because I haven't spoken to any of the Coaches, but it's fair to say that the other SMC teams don't field Middle School teams, so Rosman will not be playing ANY SMC teams prior to varsity play, unless there are enough 9th graders to field a JV team, which I highly doubt will be the case, so this could be the first move toward Rosman leaving the SMC, but I don't know that for sure....

It will be interesting to see how this all comes together, and whether it benefits or hurts the football program as a whole?

Remember, Rosman is a school that has an enrollment of generally less than 400 students, and there's only so many boys who are willing to play the sport of football....

I'm also curious to what Middle School League Rosman will participate in since the SMC doesn't field Middle School Football teams?

The Youth Leagues has a great membership of 8 teams in each division, and all those other schools are generally bigger schools than Rosman, and have more kids to choose from than do the Youth Coaches at Rosman.....

Weldon Whitmire has done a great job through the years in coaching and getting kids to play football, and I only hope that our Middle School Coaches will be able to do the same, and keep kids interested in playing?....If not, the sport of Football in Rosman will be doomed to failure in the future....

Just my opinion!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: 96 tiger
They will be playing in a different middle school conference! As for the youth one thing that’s happening rick is very few teams are fielding a midget program now ! I think that’s one reason they are looking at middle school ball

That's the biggest problem with Youth it's dying out. They will play in Brevard conference MTN 6. I'm not trying to down Weldon, but the fact remains defense has always been huge hurdle for Rosman. Weldon is spot on with offense,but that's all those kids practice. No defense practice at all. And sometimes there is not enough kids to run full line.i believe Weldon was asked to Coach new middle school team, but im not sure if he accepted. Also our youth league plays in terrible league. They put weight restrictions where all the other SMC schools play in different youth league that has no weight restrictions. So some kids that are heavy in 7,8 grade don't want to play JV but can't play youth.

I might not understand this fully but it seems to me Rosman is giving up JVs for middle school. Not sure thats a plus. Unless rosman is moving to a different conference. Keep us informed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT