ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman at Robbinsville Rd# 2!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
The Rosman Tigers head over to Graham County this friday to renew a playoff rivalry that dates all the way back to the 1960's when the Tigers were a member of the old Pisgah Conference and Robbinsville a member of the A/AA Smoky Mountain Conference...

There are many common ties between the Black Knights and the Tigers with both schools being virtually the same size in terms of the number of students...Both communities are similar and not as isolated today as they were back in those early years when it was a 2-lane road between Rosman and Asheville with the same being said for the Robbinsville area...Although, I can't remember exactly when Hwy 74 expanded to 4 lanes?...Don't think it was there back then, but can't say for certain?

Anyway, friday night will be the 40th time that these two teams have faced off, and Robbinsville holds a commanding 29-10 advantage all-time against the Tigers....Best I can remember, Rosman has only won twice at Big Oaks Stadium...Once when Dan Essenburg was coaching back in the mid 90's...Think it was 1995 when Rosman beat the Black Knights 25-8, but one of those team members from those years will have to verify that?....Tigers also won(28-21) at Robbinsville back in 2006 in Coach Jim Fox's final season at the helm of the Tigers.....Other than that, it's been a long run of smackdowns, mixed with a close game every now and then...Earlier this season, it was close for a half at least(21-13) before Robbinsville kicked-in the jets, and pulled-away for a relatively easy 42-13 victory over the Tigers...

Robbinsville won 3 titles before the modern era even started with a Region 4 title in 1965, followed by state titles in 69' and 70' with a QB by the name of Mark Manuel leading the way for ledgendary Coach Bob Colvin....Manuel would go on to play DB at Wake Forest before taking over the Rosman Head Coaching job in 1976 with Assistants Reverand J.K. Pressley coaching the O and D line, and a young and very enthusiastic WR Coach in Marty "the stump" Griffin....Coach Manuel's best season came in his 2nd year in 1977 as the Tigers won the old Appalachian Conference, but lost 2 close games that year to the Black Knights, marking the first time that these two schools had met twice during the same season...Rosman was poised to win that 77' playoff game with the ball inside the Robbinsville 30yd line, and leading 9-7 with 2 minutes left in the game, but Jr. QB Billy Powell heard a whistle from the stands, and thought the play had been blown dead, so he laid the ball on the ground, and Robbinsville's Shane Laughter picked it up, and raced to the other end with the game winning points(14-9)....The next 2 games were anti-climatic for the Black Knights who thrashed Maxton 60-6 before hammering Rock Ridge(42-7)....It was the Tigers frist chance in the modern-era to earn a state title....Of course, there are more of those playoff heartbreaks with the Black Knights, like that 6-0 Robbinsivlle win in 1982 when Rosman Coach Jim Fox decided that he wanted his son to throw a pass right before the half, and the Black Knights intercepted the pass, and ran it back for a TD.... Junior QB Eddie Fox broke his hand or ankle on the play, and the 2nd half was played in a defensive stalemate...It's still the combined fewest points ever scored in a game between the Black Knights and Tigers...The epic 4-overtime battle the following year in Rosman in 1983 is still considered one of the greastest games in the mountains, and would have been remembered even more if the right call by Head official Clarence Pressley had been made because the Tigers would have probably won the state that year as well....The interesting thing about that season that is seldom if ever mentioned, is the fact that neither Rosman nor Robbinsville had won their respective conferences that season...Tryon won the Appalachian, and Andrews won the SMC for the last time to date...Both the Black Knights and Tigers beat the Conference champs from the SMC and AAC in round 1 to set up the epic playoff game...As for Head Official Clarence Pressley, the NCHSAA ruled he and his crew was NEVER to call another game that Rosman played, but that was, and still is little solace for another possible title season that slipped thru the hands of the Tigers....Jim Fox left after that 83' season to Coach Pisgah, but Rosman returned a lot of players including LBer Freddie Whitman, and the Tigers later that season ended the 5-year reign of the defending state champs from Robbinsville, beating the Black Knights 21-6 and SMC champ Cullowhee(10-7) in round 2. before losing to Jamesville(6-0) in their first state championship game appearance....

The Western Final game in 92' when the Tigers had 2 whole days(Tongue & Cheek...lol) to prepare after a postponed Monday night playoff win at Bladenboro for the Black Knights' Notre Dame box offense led by McCracken, is another sore-spot for Tiger fans to remember...It was also the final time to date that Robbinsville played for a state championship....I honestly don't remember the last undefeated Robbinsville state champion, so a Black Knights' fan would have to give us that info...I'm thinking 1970's or early 1980's, but don't really know the exact year...

That brings us to this year....The top 3 SMC teams are still going strong, and are favored to win their 2nd round games at home against their 2nd round playoff opponents...The 4th place SMC team also won it's first round game, but will now travel to the SMC Champ....Most rational fans will say Robbinsville by at least 3 or 4 TDs, and it's really hard to argue that, since the Black Knights beat the Tigers by 4 TDs in the first meeting....The Tigers face very long odds this friday more so than they did back in 2003 when they shocked the 2nd-seeded Hayesville Yellowjackets in Hayesville in the 2nd round...A game that Robbinsville Head Coach Dee Walsh is very familiar with since he was the Offensive Coordinator for Hayesville back then....The difference is simple, Rosman had double-digit number of Seniors on that 2003 team, while this team has only 4 Seniors....There was also the humiliation factor back in 2003 after Hayesville beat Rosman 50-0 on Homecoming, even going for a 2pt conversion late to make it an even 50....That 2003 Rosman team never forgot that when the two teams met again in the playoffs!

Speaking of Dee Walsh, he has a chance this season to do something that very few Coaches get the opportunity to do, and that is to Play on a Championship team(1974), and then later, Coach that same school(Robbinsville) to a state title(2014-?)....It has to be a motivation for this group of Robbinsville Seniors to try and achieve that goal for Coach Walsh who took over the Robbinsville program again in 2008...Don't remember if that 1974 team that Dee played on was undefeated or not, but I have heard and read things thru the years from SMC fans who remember that 1974 Robbinsville squad that won a state title along with fellow 2A SMC foe Murphy that season...

I have to say that I'm really proud of this year's Rosman Tigers who have faced lots of adversity all year long, but seem to be playing their best football of the season....Will it be enough to knock off an Unbeaten Black Knights' team at Big Oaks Stadium this friday?....Long odds for sure, but would for just once like to see lady luck shine on the Tigers this friday....

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: Maiden Creek
The last undefeated Black Knight team was 34 years ago in 1980.

Look for the Tigers to put up a tough fight this Friday. Should be alittle warmer than last friday for sure. #10 Lane had his best rushing game of the year last friday (16-134yds) filling in for Cruz.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Originally posted by BK13T-$:
The last undefeated Black Knight team was 34 years ago in 1980.

Look for the Tigers to put up a tough fight this Friday. Should be alittle warmer than last friday for sure. #10 Lane had his best rushing game of the year last friday (16-134yds) filling in for Cruz.
Thanks for the info BK13T, I knew I could count on you!

Was that 1980 team the one that had Ricky Stiles playing?....I remember a friend or two of mine and I riding over to Cullowhee, and watching Robbinsville and the Cullowhee Rebels play, and Stiles put on a show that night....

Another good friend of mine relayed a story about playing at Big Oaks Stadium back when he was playing in the early 80's....Says he remembers in Coach Fox's 2nd year in 1981 that Coach Fox was trying to fire-up the team(Think he was a Freshman on that team?) for their playoff game at Robbinsville, telling them, "This bunch over here in Robbinsville may be state champs, but they ain't been hit like we're going to hit them tonight."....My buddy said he remembers the team getting off the bus for that playoff game, and he said, "Rick, it was cold, and I mean cold that night, we were all about froze to death from just doing the warmups, but we looked over, and a Robbinsville player Max S ?(Getting old I guess, can't remember at the moment his last name, so need help Black Knights' fans?) was standing over there stretching with a muscle shirt on...We got killed that night(22-0) he said, laughing about it now...lol!

The interesting thing about that season in 1981 is that Cherokee was Appalachian Conference Champs for the 4th straight season, and the Western Class A Playoffs changed that season, adding the 2nd place team from both the Appalachian and Smoky Mountain to the Class A Western Playoffs...Back before 1985, there were only 8 Class A teams state wide that qualified for the playoffs from when the modern-era began in 1972-1984, meaning teams only had to win 3 games to win a state title....From 1981-1983, Robbinsville beat 2 members of the Appalachian Conference each year to reach the title game, which they won all 3 years, beating Rosman(22-0) and Cherokee(18-6) before beating Belhaven-Wilkinson(68-0) in 1981...The Black Knights beat Rosman(6-0) and AAC Champ Edneyville(41-20) in the Western Playoffs before beating Bath(21-6) in the final, in 1982....Can't say for sure, but I think that may have been the final year that Coach David Gentry was coaching the Edneyville Yellowjackets?...Think he took over the Murphy Bulldogs beginning in 1983?....Could be wrong, but believe that's what he told me in an earlier interview, but again this old man's memory is starting to fade a bit...lol?....Anyway, Robbinsville's 5 year reign as state champs, was capped-off with road playoff victories over AAC Champ Tryon(21-12) in round 1 before the epic 34-33(4 OT) victory over Rosman in Tigertown in 1983...Black Knight's then beat Creswell(28-6) in the final to wrap up a remarkable era in which the Black Knights won 11 state titles in 15 seasons between 1969-1983...A feat that is likely to NEVER be seen again...Although, Murphy's 4 straight title-game appearances are impressive in today's playoffs as is Elkin's 4 titles in 5 years between 2002-2006....The fact that Robbinsville not only won the state title, but some of those years even beat the 2A state champ in conference play, is pretty amazing in an of itself as 2A foes Sylva-Webster(72',73' & 80'), Murphy(74'), Franklin(76') and Swain County(79') all won 2A titles during that same time, meaning the SMC produced 9 Class A titles and 6 Class AA titles in 13 years from1972-1983, not counting the Robbinsville state titles in 69' & 70'...Still hard to believe just how tough the SMC was back then...

Lots of great games and stories thru the years between Robbinsville and Rosman, and regardless of the lopsided number of wins by the Black Knights in the overall series of games with Rosman....There has always been a lot of mutual respect between the two teams and their fans, which is the way it should be....

My hope is that it's an injury-free game this friday, and that the Tigers and especially the 4 Seniors will play their best game of the season at Big Oaks Stadium and at the end of the game, will be able to hold their head high regardless of what the scoreboard says...

Roar Tigers Roar!

Originally posted by BlackCat93:

Good stuff Rick, as usual. Max Patterson could be the guy you are talking about.
Thanks BlackCat93, heard he was a local legend around those parts back then?

Roar Tigers Roar!

After working with a lot of people that played back in "those days" I have heard so many stories. Someone should write a book because there is a lot of good stuff to talk about. What I heard most was while they may not always have been the biggest team, they were the strongest and definitely the meanest..lol! And I think Max fit in this category? Some of the older R-ville posters like BKfan87, maybe Go4it, and BK can shed some more light on the subject!

Dont throw me in with those old guys.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Tigertown Rick, I was at that Bladenboro game in 1992, what was the final. I know it was close for a good while. I seem to remember an incomplete pass on a 2-point conversion.

Originally posted by jpc4unc:
Tigertown Rick, I was at that Bladenboro game in 1992, what was the final. I know it was close for a good while. I seem to remember an incomplete pass on a 2-point conversion.
The final score that night was 21-20, and you're right....Bladenboro scored right before the end of the game and quickly went for 2 with a pass to the corner of the endzone....I was standing right in the corner where the ball was thrown, and a Tiger DB just got a finger on the pass to change it's direction, and the ball fell about 6 inches away from the diving Bladenboro receiver....Great game for sure!

Also remember a Bladenboro player running up and down the Tiger sideline prior to the game, shouting at the Tigers and the Tiger fans, which of course more than got us Tiger fans riled-up...lol!

Great game that night down in Bladenboro, but wish the NCHSAA would have moved the Robbinsville/Rosman game to Saturday that week instead of friday, but the NCHSAA chose not to do that, so the road weary Tigers had nothing left in the 2nd half as Robbinsville pulled away from a close game at halftime....Remember Robbinsville had a big offensive Tackle that Travis McCraken ran behind a lot, and neither the Tigers or Lakewood(35-3) were able to stop the Notre Dame box offense that night or the following week in the title game....

Roar Tigers Roar!

David Rogers was the center for the box. It takes a good center to run the box. Greg Cable, James Hall, Wally Strictland, and Wolfie wast the other lineman.

Great post Rick! I always get a kick out of your history synopsis.

An addition - Coach Walsh was on the 1973 and 1974 championship teams. Unfortunately those teams were not undefeated. Two losses each year to ...... you guessed it, Sylva-Webster and Murphy. Both of those teams were 2A at the time.

You spoke about how strong the SMC was during some of those years and our playoff scores those 2 years tells the tale - Of the 6 playoff games in those 2 years we had 4 shutouts - the combined scores for those 6 games 225-34.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. Hoping for an injury free game. And maybe Mother Nature will give us a little warmer weather than last Friday night.

Man 1A is really bad compared to all the other classes. I was looking at the brackets and it just weak.

Originally posted by Ramnasty:

Man 1A is really bad compared to all the other classes. I was looking at the brackets and it just weak.
It's hard to argue that there are teams with overall records that aren't that good but as Wildcat noted earlier: A lot of these small schools have less than 400 students, and there just aren't that many small schools around anymore for these small schools to play, so they are forced in most cases to play teams from larger classifications, which obviously takes its toll on the won/loss record of most of those schools with the exception of course of Robbinsville who is undefeated...

Back to the topic!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Originally posted by Go4itKnights:
Great post Rick! I always get a kick out of your history synopsis.

An addition - Coach Walsh was on the 1973 and 1974 championship teams. Unfortunately those teams were not undefeated. Two losses each year to ...... you guessed it, Sylva-Webster and Murphy. Both of those teams were 2A at the time.

You spoke about how strong the SMC was during some of those years and our playoff scores those 2 years tells the tale - Of the 6 playoff games in those 2 years we had 4 shutouts - the combined scores for those 6 games 225-34.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. Hoping for an injury free game. And maybe Mother Nature will give us a little warmer weather than last Friday night.
Appreciate the info Go4itKnights!

BK had mentioned earlier in the thread that Robbinsville's last undefeated state champion was 1980, which was also the last time that Sylva-Webster won a state title as the Golden Eagles captured the state 2A title that year....I know that Sylva-Webster moved-up to the 3A class for a brief time after the 74' season because I believe that they lost to Pisgah in the 3A 1975 playoffs when the Bears captured the first of their back-to-back state titles in 75 & 76 behind hard-nosed RB David Singleton and Russ Conley, and the Bears of course also ran the famed Notre-Dame Box offense, back then.....Were the Golden Eagles a member of the Smoky Mountain Conference in 1980?

Roar Tigers Roar!

It is basic math that the states smallest class will have the worst records. Robbinsville has played two 3a schools and one 2a.

Ready for a good game tonight with hard hits and hopefully no one gets hurt for either team. The winner will need to be 100% for Murphy. After all Gentry said he will never lose to Rville again. Dang, I was hoping to win. Oh well....... On to basketball for us.
rolleye0012.r191677.gif

Pretty sure Gentry has never said he would never lose to R-ville again. Thanks again BK for clogging up the boards with amazingly accurate information about your knowledge about Murphy which knows no bounds.

Dogman, I should of said that I heard that from someone. Not that he said it.

I am just going with the favorites to make it. That doesnt mean they will.

It's always a pleasure to get some historical information from Tigertownrick.....

Good luck to everybody tonight.....I hope there are great and injury free games for all of you to enjoy!

First off, congratulations to the Black Knights!

The Tigers fought hard for 4 quarters, but early turnovers and Penalties were their undoing in the end as Robbinsville moves on to the third round with a 28-14 victory...Rosman will miss the 4 Seniors who gave all they had, but return everybody else, meaning the Tigers should be pretty good next season...

Roar Tigers Roar!

I would expect the Tigers to finish no less than 4th next season. You guys could be good enough to break into the top 3. Who know?

The Rosman Tigers head over to Graham County this friday to renew a playoff rivalry that dates all the way back to the 1960's when the Tigers were a member of the old Pisgah Conference and Robbinsville a member of the A/AA Smoky Mountain Conference...

There are many common ties between the Black Knights and the Tigers with both schools being virtually the same size in terms of the number of students...Both communities are similar and not as isolated today as they were back in those early years when it was a 2-lane road between Rosman and Asheville with the same being said for the Robbinsville area...Although, I can't remember exactly when Hwy 74 expanded to 4 lanes?...Don't think it was there back then, but can't say for certain?

Anyway, friday night will be the 40th time that these two teams have faced off, and Robbinsville holds a commanding 29-10 advantage all-time against the Tigers....Best I can remember, Rosman has only won twice at Big Oaks Stadium...Once when Dan Essenburg was coaching back in the mid 90's...Think it was 1995 when Rosman beat the Black Knights 25-8, but one of those team members from those years will have to verify that?....Tigers also won(28-21) at Robbinsville back in 2006 in Coach Jim Fox's final season at the helm of the Tigers.....Other than that, it's been a long run of smackdowns, mixed with a close game every now and then...Earlier this season, it was close for a half at least(21-13) before Robbinsville kicked-in the jets, and pulled-away for a relatively easy 42-13 victory over the Tigers...

Robbinsville won 3 titles before the modern era even started with a Region 4 title in 1965, followed by state titles in 69' and 70' with a QB by the name of Mark Manuel leading the way for ledgendary Coach Bob Colvin....Manuel would go on to play DB at Wake Forest before taking over the Rosman Head Coaching job in 1976 with Assistants Reverand J.K. Pressley coaching the O and D line, and a young and very enthusiastic WR Coach in Marty "the stump" Griffin....Coach Manuel's best season came in his 2nd year in 1977 as the Tigers won the old Appalachian Conference, but lost 2 close games that year to the Black Knights, marking the first time that these two schools had met twice during the same season...Rosman was poised to win that 77' playoff game with the ball inside the Robbinsville 30yd line, and leading 9-7 with 2 minutes left in the game, but Jr. QB Billy Powell heard a whistle from the stands, and thought the play had been blown dead, so he laid the ball on the ground, and Robbinsville's Shane Laughter picked it up, and raced to the other end with the game winning points(14-9)....The next 2 games were anti-climatic for the Black Knights who thrashed Maxton 60-6 before hammering Rock Ridge(42-7)....It was the Tigers frist chance in the modern-era to earn a state title....Of course, there are more of those playoff heartbreaks with the Black Knights, like that 6-0 Robbinsivlle win in 1982 when Rosman Coach Jim Fox decided that he wanted his son to throw a pass right before the half, and the Black Knights intercepted the pass, and ran it back for a TD.... Junior QB Eddie Fox broke his hand or ankle on the play, and the 2nd half was played in a defensive stalemate...It's still the combined fewest points ever scored in a game between the Black Knights and Tigers...The epic 4-overtime battle the following year in Rosman in 1983 is still considered one of the greastest games in the mountains, and would have been remembered even more if the right call by Head official Clarence Pressley had been made because the Tigers would have probably won the state that year as well....The interesting thing about that season that is seldom if ever mentioned, is the fact that neither Rosman nor Robbinsville had won their respective conferences that season...Tryon won the Appalachian, and Andrews won the SMC for the last time to date...Both the Black Knights and Tigers beat the Conference champs from the SMC and AAC in round 1 to set up the epic playoff game...As for Head Official Clarence Pressley, the NCHSAA ruled he and his crew was NEVER to call another game that Rosman played, but that was, and still is little solace for another possible title season that slipped thru the hands of the Tigers....Jim Fox left after that 83' season to Coach Pisgah, but Rosman returned a lot of players including LBer Freddie Whitman, and the Tigers later that season ended the 5-year reign of the defending state champs from Robbinsville, beating the Black Knights 21-6 and SMC champ Cullowhee(10-7) in round 2. before losing to Jamesville(6-0) in their first state championship game appearance....

The Western Final game in 92' when the Tigers had 2 whole days(Tongue & Cheek...lol) to prepare after a postponed Monday night playoff win at Bladenboro for the Black Knights' Notre Dame box offense led by McCracken, is another sore-spot for Tiger fans to remember...It was also the final time to date that Robbinsville played for a state championship....I honestly don't remember the last undefeated Robbinsville state champion, so a Black Knights' fan would have to give us that info...I'm thinking 1970's or early 1980's, but don't really know the exact year...

That brings us to this year....The top 3 SMC teams are still going strong, and are favored to win their 2nd round games at home against their 2nd round playoff opponents...The 4th place SMC team also won it's first round game, but will now travel to the SMC Champ....Most rational fans will say Robbinsville by at least 3 or 4 TDs, and it's really hard to argue that, since the Black Knights beat the Tigers by 4 TDs in the first meeting....The Tigers face very long odds this friday more so than they did back in 2003 when they shocked the 2nd-seeded Hayesville Yellowjackets in Hayesville in the 2nd round...A game that Robbinsville Head Coach Dee Walsh is very familiar with since he was the Offensive Coordinator for Hayesville back then....The difference is simple, Rosman had double-digit number of Seniors on that 2003 team, while this team has only 4 Seniors....There was also the humiliation factor back in 2003 after Hayesville beat Rosman 50-0 on Homecoming, even going for a 2pt conversion late to make it an even 50....That 2003 Rosman team never forgot that when the two teams met again in the playoffs!

Speaking of Dee Walsh, he has a chance this season to do something that very few Coaches get the opportunity to do, and that is to Play on a Championship team(1974), and then later, Coach that same school(Robbinsville) to a state title(2014-?)....It has to be a motivation for this group of Robbinsville Seniors to try and achieve that goal for Coach Walsh who took over the Robbinsville program again in 2008...Don't remember if that 1974 team that Dee played on was undefeated or not, but I have heard and read things thru the years from SMC fans who remember that 1974 Robbinsville squad that won a state title along with fellow 2A SMC foe Murphy that season...

I have to say that I'm really proud of this year's Rosman Tigers who have faced lots of adversity all year long, but seem to be playing their best football of the season....Will it be enough to knock off an Unbeaten Black Knights' team at Big Oaks Stadium this friday?....Long odds for sure, but would for just once like to see lady luck shine on the Tigers this friday....

Roar Tigers Roar!
Dang history lesson there, but a good one!

Reactions: RealStihl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT