ADVERTISEMENT

Robbinsville boys over Rosman 66-39

I heard today a Rosman varsity girl tested positive for covid and the whole Robbinsville girls team is now quarantined.

Swain boys over Andrews 77-49. Maroon Devils went on a 29-0 run in first half and that pretty much did it. They have a few kids that can shoot it.

Reactions: mbdfan
Murphy up 51-13 over Nantahala at the half, very down looking Nantahala team.

Swain could be shaping up as the team to beat this season in the SMC with early results and the personnel losses of Andrews and Hayesville.

Where's Groenewold for Swain though? Averaged nearly 16 a game as 10th grader last season but isn't listed on the Swain roster this year.

Last edited:
Swain could be shaping up as the team to beat this season in the SMC with early results and the personnel losses of Andrews and Hayesville.

Where's Groenewold for Swain though? Averaged nearly 16 a game as 10th grader last season but isn't listed on the Swain roster this year.

I don’t know, but he wasn’t out there. I think he could have really thrived with what they’re doing, they look like a completely different team from last year. Obviously, when a 1A school has the type of size Swain had last year, they’re going to play to that. But they’re better with the faster pace, pressure D and and more perimeter-oriented approach they’re using this year.

Also have to keep in mind, though, that Andrews is breaking in a new backcourt where they thought they were going to have the same guards for the 4th year in a row. Lots of TOs against the press but should get better. I don’t think Swain will be able to rip and run on Hayesville like they did today. I’d expect that to be a good game.

I don’t know, but he wasn’t out there. I think he could have really thrived with what they’re doing, they look like a completely different team from last year. Obviously, when a 1A school has the type of size Swain had last year, they’re going to play to that. But they’re better with the faster pace, pressure D and and more perimeter-oriented approach they’re using this year.

Also have to keep in mind, though, that Andrews is breaking in a new backcourt where they thought they were going to have the same guards for the 4th year in a row. Lots of TOs against the press but should get better. I don’t think Swain will be able to rip and run on Hayesville like they did today. I’d expect that to be a good game.
On another note Murphy girls set the NCHSAA record for made 3's in a game tonight. Nantahala was, to put it nicely, really lacking in the talent department. It's still a pretty cool accomplishment regardless.

With all their pieces Murphy girls would have run the table again in my opinion. Without Wilson (and to a lesser extent Torin's little sister, who is out for the season) it will definitely be a much tougher road to a title but I think they should still be near the top of the heap at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Boys:
Hayesville 68-54 over Andrews
Cherokee over Robbinsville 100-81
Murphy over Swain 92-79. Can’t figure either of those teams out.

In girls, Cherokee beat Robbinsville 70-57. Big game because highly likely SMC only gets two playoff berths.

Lincoln Charter boys looking really good again this year. They are 3-0 in the conference and beat 4A power Northwest Guilford in a nonconference game by 30. They play Henderson Collegiate in nonconference this year which should be a heck of a game. Good luck to all teams. Hope everyone gets through the season and playoffs.

I think there’s a good chance that’s the state final preview. Granville Central my sleeper team in the East (as much as you can have a D1 signee and be a sleeper)

Reactions: Dadof23
I think there’s a good chance that’s the state final preview. Granville Central my sleeper team in the East (as much as you can have a D1 signee and be a sleeper)

I think Pine Lake and Mountain Island Charter is good as well. It looks like Mt. Airy and East Surry are playing well and I'm sure will be tough in the playoffs. Hayesville in the West seems like they are capable again this year. North Stanly looks like they are ready to make some noise as they have had some big wins (North Rowan). It should be a fun playoff, if allowed, this year. I'm not familiar with East teams so I can't comment on those, but I'm sure there are some excellent teams as always. But Henderson Collegiate is my pick from the east. Good luck to all.

I think Pine Lake and Mountain Island Charter is good as well. It looks like Mt. Airy and East Surry are playing well and I'm sure will be tough in the playoffs. Hayesville in the West seems like they are capable again this year. North Stanly looks like they are ready to make some noise as they have had some big wins (North Rowan). It should be a fun playoff, if allowed, this year. I'm not familiar with East teams so I can't comment on those, but I'm sure there are some excellent teams as always. But Henderson Collegiate is my pick from the east. Good luck to all.

Hayesville doesn't have much size after starting SF and C went across the state line so they could play football in the fall. Find a Towns Co. (GA) game on their YouTube channel and watch their 6-7 kid and you'll see that what Hayesville lost isn't easy to replace for anybody--especially for a 1A school. This clip gives a pretty good idea of the kid's size and athleticism. But they still have really good guard play--junior point guard is in the Phenom NC rankings for his class and the senior SG is a four year starter and son of the girls coach. They're readjusting to not having a dominant big man any more, but seem to be getting better each game. Beat Cherokee by 15 Tuesday night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadof23 and BK13T-$
Murphy girls up 28-15 over Cherokee at the half. Murphy has played solid D, so credit due, but Cherokee has really struggled with their shot, had some good looks that wouldn't fall.

Also, and maybe I'm misremembering, but it definitely seems like Cherokee has more size this year than they did last season.

Murphy boys over Cherokee 89-80 in OT. It was a fun game, Murphy has some talent this season. If Isra Smith were out there I think they would've no doubt grabbed that 2nd slot in the SMC and played a McTaggart-less Hayesville tough at the top. They still probably have the talent to make a real run at 2nd, but that opening loss to Andrews may come back to haunt them as far as grabbing 2nd place goes.

Last edited:
Murphy boys over Cherokee 89-80 in OT. It was a fun game, Murphy has some talent this season. If Isra Smith were out there I think they would've no doubt grabbed that 2nd slot in the SMC and played a McTaggart-less Hayesville tough at the top. They still probably have the talent to make a real run at 2nd, but that opening loss to Andrews may come back to haunt them as far as grabbing 2nd place goes.

Abling is obviously a player, but I was also impressed with Brown the couple times I’ve watched Murphy. Even with the loss to Andrews, I think they have a good shot at 2d, but they’ll probably need to root for Hayesville to sweep Swain, which I’m sure you’ll enjoy doing.

In other news, Hayesville over Rosman 67-23, Robbinsville over Andrews in a close one. The Adams kid from Robbinsville is really good.

Last edited:
How are y'all watching games if only 25 allowed? I'd like to watch cherokee games are they available online or something?

Robbinsville girls about to hand Murphy their first loss in nearly two years. After watching the Cherokee game I kind of saw this coming. Murphy are a guard short without Wilson, who in my opinion made a terrible decision to transfer to Rabun Gap.

Robbinsville girls about to hand Murphy their first loss in nearly two years. After watching the Cherokee game I kind of saw this coming. Murphy are a guard short without Wilson, who in my opinion made a terrible decision to transfer to Rabun Gap.

I’m not sure anybody would’ve predicted Rabun Gap girls would be 1-13 right now.

Hayesville boys beat Swain 68-58.

Robbinsville girls 6-1, 5-0 at home.

Lady knights 67
Lady dogs 53

Robbinsville girls 6-1, 5-0 at home.

Lady knights 67
Lady dogs 53

Looks like Asheville Citizen hired a new writer and it has a pretty good write up of the game. Seems the four main scorers for Robbinsville are all underclassmen, should be good for a while. Also appears to be a good chance somebody really good might get left out of the playoffs from the SMC.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Cherokee girls lost to Rosman.

Braves with 2 losses and still have Murphy and Robbinsville.

Murphy and Robbinsville girls with 1 loss

Cherokee girls lost to Rosman.

Braves with 2 losses and still have Murphy and Robbinsville.

Murphy and Robbinsville girls with 1 loss
I don't want to say they're "done" because Cherokee does have enough talent to beat Murphy and Robbinsville on any given night, but the odds of them beating Robbinsville a second time AND going to Murphy and picking up a win aren't great.

Given Cherokee's loss to Rosman I would say it's likely at this point that Murphy and Robbinsville grab the two playoff spots out of the SMC.

Murphy boys just beat Swain by about a dozen. I dont remember the final margin because Abling got hurt late in the 4th driving to the basket (definitely looked like a foul in real time but it wasn't called) and I was focused on that. He landed hard on his elbow and never came back in, had ice wrapped around it at the end of game, hope he's ok. Abling was having a big game too before he got hurt, 35 points.

I would have felt decent about Murphy's chances of grabbing 2nd place after tonight with their last three games at home but if he's out that would make that odds on that slim to none.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT