ADVERTISEMENT

RIP to the NCHSAA??

One of the more influential football coaches in the state who is highly respected by probably every coach said that this will end up hurting "us" more than helping. I agree.

I remember when the House got involved about 12 years go because two schools complained about their new conferences. The local rep had it voted on first thing in the morning to change their conferences without hearing from the NCHSAA or other schools in the two conferences (one they left and one they joined). The two reps that initially backed the bill to give it traction were not from other parts of the state. Typical.

Reactions: tigertown21
Doesn't the state senate have anything better to do? Wish they cared about raising teacher salaries as much as they seem to care about this. Or care about making NC even more attractive to people, businesses and corporations as many move here. Seems a misplacement of priorities by politicians who think they know all, shocking!

Pretty good source texted me this: This will basically eliminate and replace the board of NCHSAA with one picked by governor and legislature. Governor has picks, legislature has picks. This will be who institutions answer to. These people MUST be employed by an LEA and must remain employed (coaches, ADs, principals, asst. principals, or superintendents). So board would be made up of people from association.

I have about as much faith in the NCHSAA as I do the NC Senate. Not much. There does need to be some kind of check and balance in how the NCHSAA does things. Schools struggling to fund programs yet they sit on a massive endowment made by member schools. Time to share that cash with these schools who built it for them. And look at their discipline rulings, eligibility issues, member schools, etc. Make sure rules and regulations are equitable for all schools involved in the NCHSAA.

What I was told by same source is this would end the fines made by the NCHSAA against member schools for things like ineligible players, at least that was what it came across as. Or if fines are imposed must be approved by whatever this new board would be.

Also, this might not even happen. Just a hearing on it, not voting or anything.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
What I was told by same source is this would end the fines made by the NCHSAA against member schools for things like ineligible players, at least that was what it came across as. Or if fines are imposed must be approved by whatever this new board would be.

Also, this might not even happen. Just a hearing on it, not voting or anything.
Just going to a committee now, doesn’t mean it will pass full vote or even come to a vote.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Pretty sure Eastern Alamance's fine was $500 and their portion of the gate receipts they received during those playoffs.

A lot of misinformation there.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
I was referencing the parents of the students.
This is 1000% the motivation. They could care less about the well being of the HS athlete. They understand the power of these programs especially in these rural communities. This is yet another way to use political influence to generate votes. It's a TERRIBLE idea that will have huge consequences on the playing field.

In today’s world of politics nothing is guaranteed except bickering and gridlock.

in most cases i couldn’t agree with you more on that! but take notice of the amount of bipartisan support around this bill. this is one of those rare exceptions.

this story has been in the public eye for some time now …. and not the slightest hint of opposition from any democratic figure in the legislature. silence from the governors mansion.

Reactions: UNC91
This is 1000% the motivation. They could care less about the well being of the HS athlete. They understand the power of these programs especially in these rural communities. This is yet another way to use political influence to generate votes. It's a TERRIBLE idea that will have huge consequences on the playing field.

They already had those parents votes. The politicians sponsoring this bill come from heavy red districts. They win elections in landslides by simply having (R) next to their name on the ballot.

What issue do y’all have with the proposed bill?

$40M endowment is now going to be subject to transparency. We’re going to see how every dollar is spent. sounds good, sign me up.

Instead of incompetent NCHSAA leadership we now get a 17 member commission board that’ll be made up of superintendents, principals, athletic directors, and coaches. ya know … people literally involved with high schools/high school athletics.i can’t get on board with that fast enough.

They already had those parents votes. The politicians sponsoring this bill come from heavy red districts. They win elections in landslides by simply having (R) next to their name on the ballot.

What issue do y’all have with the proposed bill?

$40M endowment is now going to be subject to transparency. We’re going to see how every dollar is spent. sounds good, sign me up.

Instead of incompetent NCHSAA leadership we now get a 17 member commission board that’ll be made up of superintendents, principals, athletic directors, and coaches. ya know … people literally involved with high schools/high school athletics.i can’t get on board with that fast enough.
One must assume they spend that $41 million. Seems like they were mostly stockpiling it.

The Board of Directors in place now is the same people plus a few non school affiliated members such as one from DPI and one that represents school boards.

Who is going to run the day to day operations? The people that are making up that board will not be able to put large amounts of time into this. They have full time gigs that take up a large amount of time.

It would seem that a better option would be to leave the NCHSAA intact with some new structure and operating procedures, and have an oversight committee.

The NCHSAA is now a lame duck if this plan is put in place. Any employee needs a promise of a continuation of employment with the new organization or get ready for a large exodus because those folks will be looking for new work.

The 17 won’t be acting in a ‘Board of Directors’ role. Essentially it’s a panel designed to both lead and execute. There’s no management team under them. They are the whole show.
and there lies the problem. I have no issues with the concerns about stockpiling money and concerns about fines. Not for profit organization should have to donate monies from their organization when it hits a certain level. In this case shame on the management for not sending it back to the schools. Since they are entrusted to runs school programs they should be held accountable.. However, common sense says to beware of any solution that has partisan politics involved. Our system of government was not designed to be efficient but to insure freedom. I will also note that I read and heard the transcript... the elected speaker struggled with her communication. If this is the voice behind this I think the chances are pretty slim that it will go as many perceive. Hopefully wiser minds will prevail.

Doesn't the state senate have anything better to do? Wish they cared about raising teacher salaries as much as they seem to care about this. Or care about making NC even more attractive to people, businesses and corporations as many move here. Seems a misplacement of priorities by politicians who think they know all, shocking!
B A M!!!! You said it ALL.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Maybe I'm wrong, but I always felt that the schools themselves had the power to address their own issues with the NCHSAA. Meaning that if enough of them left the association on their own and formed a new body and maybe others might follow. All this can be done without state government handling it, if schools really wanted more say and to be heard. Im not a bureaucrat so what do I know.

Reactions: nepsy7
This is government overreach. This will destroy NC Athletics as we know it. If you have a problem with a private entity issuing fines to a public institution, SUPER! Pass legislation that prevents that from happening. the NCHSAA will have to discover new ways to keep their schools in line. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water though.

I'm embarrassed to be from Richmond County knowing Tom McInnis is leading this fight.

I do not like every decision the NCHSAA makes and I agree they need to look closely at how the NCAA has rendered themselves irrelevant by refusing to change. BUT.....to say they are incompetent? C'mon....Incompetence doesn't generate 40 million dollar endowments. I wish I were that incompetent.

This is government overreach. This will destroy NC Athletics as we know it. If you have a problem with a private entity issuing fines to a public institution, SUPER! Pass legislation that prevents that from happening. the NCHSAA will have to discover new ways to keep their schools in line. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water though.

I'm embarrassed to be from Richmond County knowing Tom McInnis is leading this fight.

I do not like every decision the NCHSAA makes and I agree they need to look closely at how the NCAA has rendered themselves irrelevant by refusing to change. BUT.....to say they are incompetent? C'mon....Incompetence doesn't generate 40 million dollar endowments. I wish I were that incompetent.
what does richmond county got to do with this

I asked in a different thread. Just wondering how the NCHSAA compares to how the TSSAA is ran. Are they similar. I know the TSSAA is over the private schools which is different than the NCHSAA.

Pretty sure Eastern Alamance's fine was $500 and their portion of the gate receipts they received during those playoffs.

A lot of misinformation there.
That decision is what completely destroyed my faith in the NCHSAA. Regardless of whatever the fine was that decision was horrible and did not have the student athletes interest at heart. Anybody who knows anything about that situation knows how wrong that was. Not that i think a bunch of legislatures would do much better if any. The thing i did not like about the States proposal was there was no mention of representation by Coaches or AD's. But i agree something has got to change. Sitting on those assets, 35 scholarships for a total of around $40,000 and the appeals process are travesties and bad business.

The appeals process is the biggest issue to me. But if you look at every case it pretty much goes straight by the written rules. They do not move away from that much. I was part of a citizens group 13 years ago that looked at residency and other issues where eligibility was in question. It was mind boggling some of the situations families were in and even more so what some people would do get what they wanted.

I hated it for John Kirby but where do you draw the line. Whether it be Dudley and Pinecrest with the eight quarter rule or Anson and fighting.

It is my understanding that certain monies can be used for scholarships and certain funds cannot. It is along the lines of a hotel and rental car tax can only be used for certain items although something else may need tax dollars more.

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT