ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond @ Scotland for all the marbles again!

Was over at Raider Stadium tonight and saw that thing
that used to be called Magic rear its head in a loss
that turned into a win in the final 3 minutes. 71st
must be sick about now. With that being said, Scotland scores at will and plays enough defense to win
56-28.

Reactions: RAIDERS2014
I don't get it RAIDERS2014. Are you a Raider fan or not? Richmond has made the playoffs every year for...a long time. Nobody wins it all every year. Like someone else said, we win our share. The coaches and players are not playing to please you or these posters on here. Either get behind what we got or jump the fence. We have a tough game coming up but it's not the end of the world if we "win or lose". Part 3 begins in 2 weeks and it's loser go home. Last time I looked, were still in. These kids have done good, win, lose or draw. (Not attacking you) a true fan is a fan even if you're 0-10... enough...GO RAIDERS...

Reactions: Raiderdev23
Scots must focus and play their game. Feed the ball to Zeus and McQueen behind that big Oline then let QB Bell mix in some runs. It will take more than magic to stop the Scots offense. I'm calling it a 49 to 21 Scots win.

Will be closer than you all think. RC will score on us. I see this being a lot like 71st game. I'm still not convinced our D is championship level. I don't believe you can win by assuming you are going to maul everyone every weekend. I hope I'm wrong! The prize it not this game.

Reactions: Ben-Badd
I just don't think RC has enough to stay with SC. White is only avg 15 touches a game and SC is still putting up crazy numbers. If things get tight I can see White getting it more which means more points. I don't think 35 points will be enough to beat SC from here on out. Heck scoring in the 40's may not be enough. Would love to see this rivalry become tight again.

Yea... it's gonna take alot of points and alot of willpower... Scots are mighty strong. They shouldn't lose again this year, but I thought that last year. If they're gonna lose I hope its Richmond.

Scotland’s line play has been much better this year over last. Zamir has gone from 9.7 yards per carry to just shy of 14 yards per carry this year. Some of that gain is attributable to him...most is the fellows up front. The scary things is all 5 starters have only all played together about 6 quarters this year. Friday, they should all be back again.

Plus having a bigger running threat at QB has made a difference. Bell is at just shy of 10 yards per carry right now. Bell has already doubled Sergio’s rushing yards last year in almost half the games. The offensive production this year over last year isn’t even comparable. I think a good bit of that is line play.

Last edited:
2010 RAIDERS 31-21
2009 RAIDERS 35-7
2008 RAIDERS 32-7
2007 RAIDERS 30-27
2006 RAIDERS 31-13
2005 RAIDERS 41-17
2004 RAIDERS 35-14
This is far back as I could go on max preps. But I believe the RAIDERS HANDLE the Scots the ten previous times to. 7>1

The last 7 nor any of the other previous games through out the history of this rivalry means anything Friday night. The Scots just need to go 1-0 THIS week!

Reactions: paulraiderfan
Only chance Richmond has is to mix up the run and pass, and do it efficiently. Move the chains, and keep 34, 5, and 10 on the sideline. Time of possession and 3rd down conversions, and some stops by the defense could make this interesting. A lot of hypotheticals in this breakdown, but that’s why we play the game. I’ll be coming from Charlotte to watch this one. Can’t wait for Friday! I enjoy this game at Pate over Raider Stadium. Pate is more on-top of the field.

@rcoraider98 let me help you out; This is not the same Scotland of old and this is not the same Richmond; We can't continue to live in the past. This Scotland team reminds me of there State Title Team but there Defense is suspect especially against the pass. You have to outscore this team to beat them it can be done ask Mallard Creek. I think when Richmond finds there identity they will be a good ball team. I want to give a shot out to whomever made that 2pt. conversion call 2x, that was sweet. Also that Trips Formation is going to be deadly for any team to defend...................
2003 Raiders 35-33
2002 Raiders 21-14
2001 Raiders 20-13
2000 Raiders 21-14

I usually make this game but I will not make the trip this year. For a change there is a pretty good game in the port city on week 12.

@rcoraider98 let me help you out; This is not the same Scotland of old and this is not the same Richmond; We can't continue to live in the past. This Scotland team reminds me of there State Title Team but there Defense is suspect especially against the pass. You have to outscore this team to beat them it can be done ask Mallard Creek. I think when Richmond finds there identity they will be a good ball team. I want to give a shot out to whomever made that 2pt. conversion call 2x, that was sweet. Also that Trips Formation is going to be deadly for any team to defend...................
2003 Raiders 35-33
2002 Raiders 21-14
2001 Raiders 20-13
2000 Raiders 21-14
Till said Brad Denson made those calls. Great calls. We have a good group of receivers and with #1 back after being injured most of the year makes the receivers even more dangerous.

Will be closer than you all think. RC will score on us. I see this being a lot like 71st game. I'm still not convinced our D is championship level. I don't believe you can win by assuming you are going to maul everyone every weekend. I hope I'm wrong! The prize it not this game.

I think one of the issues the defense has is the offense scores so fast they are on the field a ton.

I think one of the issues the defense has is the offense scores so fast they are on the field a ton.
That could be a part of it but 2 weeks ago SC gave up two drives greater than 85 yards to Pinecrest. Championship defenses normally don't allow that to happen and they were long methodical 4 yards a play drives. That concerns me if a team can get up on SC and then control the ball. The only way to stop that offense if you don't have the front is to keep #10 & #34 on the bench with a lead or tied. The problem with beating SC right now 14 is the magic number. You cannot go down by 14 because you now have to try and play catch up and that means playing at a faster pace which leads to more possessions for the offense. That is the formula. I would always take the ball on the coin flip because that allows you to get up on SC. I think it is pretty fair to say SC will score 6 on 70% of their possessions. Right now they are hovering around 90% if my math is correct and that is insane.

Last edited:
That could be a part of it but 2 weeks ago SC gave up to drives greater than 85 yards to Pinecrest. Championship defenses normally don't allow that to happen and they were long methodical 4 yards a play drives. That concerns me if a team can get up on SC and then control the ball. The only way to stop that offense if you don't have the front is to keep #10 & #34 on the bench with a lead or tied. The problem with beating SC right now 14 is the magic number. You cannot go down by 14 because you now have to try and play catch up and that means playing at a faster pace which leads to more possessions for the offense. That is the formula. I would always take the ball on the coin flip because that allows you to get up on SC. I think it is pretty fair to say SC will score 6 on 70% of their possessions. Right now they are hovering around 90% if my math is correct and that is insane.
I'll say this Pinecrest had a long drive and scored we receive the Kick off and return inside the 20 and fumble so defense go right back out and gets scored on again, i'm not sure we gonna run into a team that runs the ball like Pinecrest when they are down by 21 or better, so as you know they've made some changes on defense time will tell if it works , but Richmond should know our Offense is working fine.

I'll say this Pinecrest had a long drive and scored we receive the Kick off and return inside the 20 and fumble so defense go right back out and gets scored on again, i'm not sure we gonna run into a team that runs the ball like Pinecrest when they are down by 21 or better, so as you know they've made some changes on defense time will tell if it works , but Richmond should know our Offense is working fine.
Yes that was a long time on the field but if they don't allow the first one then they don't get 24 plays on them. If SC pins them on both of those drives its a running clock because PC wasn't going to stop us. The talent is there for this defense to be keeping good teams to 21 and bad teams should be getting goose eggs. I guess its more of when you can put someone away go ahead and do it. The defense needs to be relentless like the offense. Someone noted how our backs are blocking down field. i saw Bell pancake a number of kids on friday after he had handed the ball off. That is no holds barred right there.

Last edited:
IMO SC D looks like Georgia Techs D. They dont have a passing attack to practice against so it seems foreign

If I had to choose between elite defense and elite offense I would take defense. I think great defensive teams can generate offensive production with short fields, turnovers and occasionally scoring. That said its rare you get both. A defense that gives up 22 a game is a bit high by state title standards but the good news is there is really oly 1 or 2 good QB's out there that can take advantage of SC's issues in the back end.

Let me ask this?? Can White and/or Mcqeueen play snaps on that side? Sometimes just one elite athlete for a couple crucial 2nd half series can make a huge difference. I cant imagine having to block White coming off the edge.

If I had to choose between elite defense and elite offense I would take defense. I think great defensive teams can generate offensive production with short fields, turnovers and occasionally scoring. That said its rare you get both. A defense that gives up 22 a game is a bit high by state title standards but the good news is there is really oly 1 or 2 good QB's out there that can take advantage of SC's issues in the back end.

Let me ask this?? Can White and/or Mcqeueen play snaps on that side? Sometimes just one elite athlete for a couple crucial 2nd half series can make a huge difference. I cant imagine having to block White coming off the edge.
McQueen played this week at safety. I would definitely put both of them out there on crucial situations if needed during the playoffs. Just the thought of those two on that side of the ball creates doubt. As you well B & G elite players are hard to find in HS football and when you have two guys like Smiley and White it could change the entire look of a defense. The kid i want to see on that side of the ball full-time is the wall kid. Next year there will be hell to pay when this kid is at QB. He is electric and at 6 ft 2 he can play every skill position.

Last edited:
Wall played DB all night last Friday and smiley played at safety. I think from we could see that the rest of the way and it will be a difference maker. I think it was smart to wait as long as possible to make the move to minimize injury.

Scotland has punted 8 times this year. 6 of those were in the first two weeks. As a team they were averaging 9.7 yards per play coming into the Lumberton game. If you limit it to 1st string plays only, it goes up to 10.6 yards per play.

Last edited:
Wall played DB all night last Friday and smiley played at safety. I think from we could see that the rest of the way and it will be a difference maker. I think it was smart to wait as long as possible to make the move to minimize injury.

Scotland has punted 8 times this year. 6 of those were in the first two weeks. As a team they were averaging 9.7 yards per play coming into he Lumberton game.
Then they are probably over 90% on scoring when they have the ball because they have not turned the ball over much. I remember 3 all year. 1 vs. MC, 1 at WM and the INT against SF. I'm sure there might be more but it has been few and far between. That is good.

Yes that was a long time on the field but if they don't allow the first one then they don't get 24 plays on them. If SC pins them on both of those drives its a running clock because PC wasn't going to stop us. The talent is there for this defense to be keeping good teams to 21 and bad teams should be getting goose eggs. I guess its more of when you can put someone away go ahead and do it. The defense needs to be relentless like the offense. Someone noted how our backs are blocking down field. i saw Bell pancake a number of kids on friday after he had handed the ball off. That is no holds barred right there.
Agree on everything stated and i give the coaching staff credit with Wall and Smiley getting snaps on the d side they will be better. Once we got up 21-0 would have like to seen the D put them away. i think ya'll see another player on the D side this week getting ready for play down.

Agree on everything stated and i give the coaching staff credit with Wall and Smiley getting snaps on the d side they will be better. Once we got up 21-0 would have like to seen the D put them away. i think ya'll see another player on the D side this week getting ready for play down.
I do believe after last years loss Bailey is not leaving anything to chance. He senses that this team offensively is going to be almost impossible to stop and he needs the d to be able to put teams away.
Friday will be a spectacle - RC has got to be feeling pretty good about holding 71st to 19 points. I didn't see that coming.

Reactions: sikner51
Heard 71st was inside the 20 4 times and came away with nothing. Turnovers, missed FG, etc.

They fumbled once on 4th down missed a fg with 1 second til half time and turned over on downs I think 2 times. One of there tds came off of a strip and run back for a td. So our defence gave up 2 tds.

I found an error, so I deleted the previous post.... Starters have scored 55 tds on 72 possessions (not including end of half and end of game possessions) 2 ints, 4 fumbles, 7 punts. Since mallard creek, 52 tds on 62 possessions 1 int, 3 fumbles, 4 punts. These are off of my notes and maxpreps, so it may not be completely accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT