ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond opening for 2020 season

BlackKnight24

Apr 17, 2015
Richmond is looking for a week 2 game for 2020 season. We have the ability to share some proceeds of the gate or negotiate a fee for this game if necessary. Please contact head fb coach Bryan till at bryantill@richmond.k12.nc.us if interested

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Come on Mallard Creek, Vance, Myers Park, etc.

MC is most likely not going to schedule a team, they will possibly see in the playoffs. It's already bad enough that they were put out 2 years in row against teams they beat in the regular season. Dillon will play anybody.

MC is most likely not going to schedule a team, they will possibly see in the playoffs. It's already bad enough that they were put out 2 years in row against teams they beat in the regular season. Dillon will play anybody.

Dillon and Richmond have played several times over the years.

I think one time I looked it up. Richmond had only lost 3 games against South Carolina teams. Lost twice to Dillon and once to either Cheraw or Hartsville. Richmond beat South Carolina teams about 18 times over the years but mostly against Marlboro whom Richmond has never lost to. They beat Marlboro like 11 to 13 times something like that

When's the last time they've played? Has it been over 10 years?

Yes. They played into the 1990's.

At one time Dillon was a 3A school in the four classification system and may have been 4A for awhile. That area has struggled economically.

I do not do the Facebook or Twitter thing but the guy on one of the Raiders page pretty much knows all the history of Richmond raider football he can probably answer any questions
Anybody has on the raiders history

I am pretty sure Richmond beat Dillon twice in the 90's but I may be off. Dillon won some, also.

Dillon and RS played four times in the mid nineties and the home team won each game 2-2. Even though Dillon just played for a state championship (lost) I don't see them as a competitive matchup. Hartsville or West Florence or maybe Carolina Forest would be much better matchups...

These are the only two scores I can find on the record maybe the games were so good it seemed like four games. LOL

1993 Dillon, SC 6 13

1994 Dillon, SC 21 13

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiders Rollin
I'm not a Dillon homer but they are more than a worthy opponent for Richmond. Dillon has played Mallard Creek twice in the last 7 years and gave Mallard Creek all they could handle, small classification or not. I know Purnell Sweet and Lumberton are far from great but Dillon has absolutely destroyed both of them over the last 2 years as well as coming out on top over Scotland I believe twice in recent year scrimmages. So I do think they could beat Richmond or at least be competitive with Richmond absolutely.

I'm not a Dillon homer but they are more than a worthy opponent for Richmond. Dillon has played Mallard Creek twice in the last 7 years and gave Mallard Creek all they could handle, small classification or not.

I agree that they would provide a solid opponent for Richmond. I think Richmond beats them by about three TDs this season if the game were played at Richmond.

If would only play at Dillon if the refs were from NC. Very noticeable the last game MC played there on the pace of the game was delayed in the late third and fourth quarter.

MC looked unreal physically that year and had a great group of talent but was not an impressive MC football team.

If you really want a measuring stick on where your program stands give a shout out to St. Francis Academy (SFA). I guarantee you they will travel if the date is still open and you won't have to pay them a dime. Beware of what you ask for though. They destroyed IMG 35-7 and lost to Mater Dei 34-18. They have a roster full of 4 and 5 star recruits heading to the Power 5 like MC only with capable coaching. It would be a great way to make a statement about North Carolina football to the rest of the country. Make the call. This goes out to Vance also. It is time for some program in NC to step to the plate on the national level.

If you really want a measuring stick on where your program stands give a shout out to St. Francis Academy (SFA). I guarantee you they will travel if the date is still open and you won't have to pay them a dime. Beware of what you ask for though. They destroyed IMG 35-7 and lost to Mater Dei 34-18. They have a roster full of 4 and 5 star recruits heading to the Power 5 like MC only with capable coaching. It would be a great way to make a statement about North Carolina football to the rest of the country. Make the call. This goes out to Vance also. It is time for some program in NC to step to the plate on the national level.

It's not a HS program

If it’s about gate money not saying it is but that’s what I heard the reason why they added anson back to the schedule
This would be my top 3

Mallard creek just b/c everyone seems to want this matchup

Myers park this past game the crowd was unbelievable

South pointe of S.C.
But will it bring the gate money in

Now
Weddington I would like to see it but still not for sure if Richmond has ever played them ? And what type of crowd they would bring

Shelby Lions well I am pretty sure y’all know the answer to that one

But you Also got to consider if you make the pre season tough are you taking a chance of getting more injuries? I mean yes injuries can happen either way

Take Maye off of Myers Park roster and they never play Richmond this year. The only way they play Richmond next year, is putting them on the schedule.

If by Shelby you mean Crest, then yes, please schedule them for Game 2. That OT classic between them and Richmond was unbelievable.

Would really rather see a matchup that wont possibly happen in the playoffs.

I got one...How bout Richmond- Shelby??

@Blue and Gold22
I would love to see Shelby there one Shelby fan who use to always run that mouth of his

Because y'all brought us up....

Blue and Gold22 above was quickly the third post on this thread.
Richmond County (2109 students). Who just played in the Western Finals of the 4AA classification. The largest schools in the state.
And besides the big three of 4AA playoff teams this year, Mallard Creek (2564), Vance (2312), and Myers Park (3688), your first thought is you want little 2A Shelby with 827 students.
Well guys. That is quite a compliment. Thank you.
And the Golden Lions are so consuming in your heads. As it should be.
Shelby wins more than anyone else.
How many Titles do the Golden Lions have to win before it’s proud fans aren’t just always running our mouths? When is it True?
You do realize how close Shelby is to matching Independence’s 7 straight Titles accomplished just 10 years ago, right? You already know about the 50 years of unmatched success before that, correct?

Someone said earlier about a 2A Shelby matchup with 4A top dogs;
Only 11 play at a time call and set something up if not SHUT UP!

You are correct. 11 play. So you get 4.
See it this way. Using State Finalist Vance as the example.

827 Shelby ADM
2312 Vance ADM

So Shelby is 35.8% the size of Vance.
35.8% of 11 players equals 4.
Not your best 4, just a random 4 of your starting 11.
The other 7 players come from, say, a group of average 2A level players on the Vance roster.
If you have no average 2A players on your second team (Vance is 2.8 times larger than Shelby), take them off your third team.
Now it is even.

Would that Vance team defeat Shelby?

Or

Take the Shelby starting 11, and multiply that group by 2.8 so that Shelby now has 31 championship level starters to provide position shifts and depth to take on the current Vance team.
And that is only on one side of the ball.

Would that Shelby team defeat Vance?
You want to schedule that?

You dismiss as opponents IMG and St. Francis Academy due to there “advantages”, yet you quickly embrace playing down to a smaller Dillon or Shelby, aggressively mocking the enormous difference in players to choose from. Why?
Play up. Play one of these “super teams”.
Shelby used to play college teams.
Shelby has played regularly against schools 3 times their size. It has been a key to its historic success.
The Golden Lions have scheduled and played South Carolina’s #1 All-Time 4Aplus program Gaffney off and on for decades, even defeating the Indians in one of their SC State Championship years.
Crest won the non subdivided 4A Title in 94 and 96.
Shelby defeated Crest in 93, 95, and 97 (as 2A).

Shelby has scheduled and played up against much larger programs for over 100 years.
Most recently, in 2017, the Golden Lions scheduled and played the final # 4 team in the country. Rock Hill South Pointe.
While losing 25-0 on South Pointe’s field, the game was competitive and Shelby represented well.
That was also the only non-Championship Game team Shelby has produced since 2013 (6 of the last 7 years).
Has Vance, RC, MP, or MC ever scheduled and played a team that finished #4 in the country?

The Golden Lions have nothing left to prove.
Certainly not to you guys.
If there is any pressure on the program currently, it is simply to continue within the community to live up to the demand for excellence, on and off the field, that has remained consistent and sustained for the past six decades. And have fun.
Shelby has another first year coach in the Championship game Saturday.
No coincidences.
But we certainly acknowledge we are greatly blessed and fortunate.

Richmond County (2109 students). Who just played in the Western Finals of the 4AA classification. The largest schools in the state.
And besides the big three of 4AA playoff teams this year, Mallard Creek (2564), Vance (2312), and Myers Park (3688), your first thought is you want little 2A Shelby with 827 students.
How many Titles do the Golden Lions have to win before it’s proud fans aren’t just always running our mouths? When is it True?
You do realize how close Shelby is to matching Independence’s 7 straight Titles accomplished just 10 years ago, right? You already know about the 50 years of unmatched success before that, correct?

827 Shelby ADM
2312 Vance ADM

The other 7 players come from, say, a group of average 2A level players on the Vance roster.
If you have no average 2A players on your second team (Vance is 2.8 times larger than Shelby), take them off your third team.
Now it is even.

Or

Take the Shelby starting 11, and multiply that group by 2.8 so that Shelby now has 31 championship level starters to provide position shifts and depth to take on the current Vance team.

You dismiss as opponents IMG and St. Francis Academy due to there “advantages”, yet you quickly embrace playing down to a smaller Dillon or Shelby, aggressively mocking the enormous difference in players to choose from. Why?
Shelby has played regularly against schools 3 times their size. It has been a key to its historic success.
The Golden Lions have scheduled and played South Carolina’s #1 All-Time 4Aplus program Gaffney off and on for decades, even defeating the Indians in one of their SC State Championship years.

Shelby has scheduled and played up against much larger programs for over 100 years.
Most recently, in 2017, the Golden Lions scheduled and played the final # 4 team in the country. Rock Hill South Pointe.
While losing 25-0 on South Pointe’s field, the game was competitive and Shelby represented well.
That was also the only non-Championship Game team Shelby has produced since 2013 (6 of the last 7 years).
Has Vance, RC, MP, or MC ever scheduled and played a team that finished #4 in the country?

If there is any pressure on the program currently, it is simply to continue within the community to live up to the demand for excellence, on and off the field, that has remained consistent and sustained for the past six decades. And have fun.
No coincidences.
Dude go away...no one is going to call anybody and set anything up and the 1 time yall did South Pointe yall got boat raced by almost 4 TDs...I would never tell a grown person shut up but dude...SHUT THE HELL UP!!!

Reactions: hodgesd13

827 Shelby ADM
2312 Vance ADM

Now it is even.

Or

No coincidences.

Good grief that was dumb

827 Shelby ADM
2312 Vance ADM

Now it is even.

Or

No coincidences.

Very few of those kids go on to college. That's what you don't talk about. A degree will take you a lot further than a trophy. Get a Life Clown!

Last edited:
If it’s about gate money not saying it is but that’s what I heard the reason why they added anson back to the schedule
This would be my top 3

Mallard creek just b/c everyone seems to want this matchup

Myers park this past game the crowd was unbelievable

South pointe of S.C.
But will it bring the gate money in

Now
Weddington I would like to see it but still not for sure if Richmond has ever played them ? And what type of crowd they would bring

Mallard Creek would be a huge draw because of who the two teams are.

Not sure what MP will be like next year so it would depend on that. If they basically the same team coming back it would be huge.

Note, I am not a fan of playing a team that will appear in your subclassification for the playoffs. I always say if you are good enough you will meet.

I doubt South Pointe would bring a huge crowd.

Shelby would obviously bring a strong crowd. That is the type of game you could do back to back years with each team getting a home game. Not sure Shelby is up to their current level the next few years but I do not know.

Weddington has never played Richmond. The crowd would be huge. Most likely they will be the back to back 3AA state champion with a five star athlete and a lot of the core team back. Richmond should have their best team in over twenty years. This is the matchup I prefer.

Mallard Creek would be a huge draw because of who the two teams are.

Not sure what MP will be like next year so it would depend on that. If they basically the same team coming back it would be huge.

Note, I am not a fan of playing a team that will appear in your subclassification for the playoffs. I always say if you are good enough you will meet.

I doubt South Pointe would bring a huge crowd.

Shelby would obviously bring a strong crowd. That is the type of game you could do back to back years with each team getting a home game. Not sure Shelby is up to their current level the next few years but I do not know.

Weddington has never played Richmond. The crowd would be huge. Most likely they will be the back to back 3AA state champion with a five star athlete and a lot of the core team back. Richmond should have their best team in over twenty years. This is the matchup I prefer.
And Richmond would bring a huge crowd. But Shelby isnt going to call them.

Vance offered to play at Shelby this season. Split the gate with no split on season tickets or any other items. Shelby had an open date. Shelby declined and had conversations with fellow 2A school Mountain Heritage which did not materialize which I think was MH's decision.

I have no issue with Shelby not accepting the matchup. They played ten (corrected, did not schedule an eleventh) regular season games including historical and county rivals Crest and Kings Mountain plus AC Reynolds and Freedom.

Last edited:
And Richmond would bring a huge crowd. But Shelby isnt going to call them.

I am not sure what Shelby has planned for next season. 2021 is the first year of the new alignment so they would probably only do a one off in 2020 as no one is sure how the conference schedules are going to look and will not know until early spring of 2021. It would be profitable for both teams but if I am Shelby I look at what it does for me competitively. You are winning state titles and playing good competition to prepare you.

Vance offered to play at Shelby this season. Split the gate with no split on season tickets or any other items. Shelby had an open date. Shelby declined and had conversations with fellow 2A school Mountain Heritage which did not materialize which I think was MH's decision.

I have no issue with Shelby not accepting the matchup. They played eleven regular season games including historical and county rivals Crest and Kings Mountain plus AC Reynolds and Freedom.
lol shelby knew better

I have no issue with Shelby not accepting the matchup. They played eleven regular season games including historical and county rivals Crest and Kings Mountain plus AC Reynolds and Freedom.

Shelby declined? This is not what we heard. Lance was on his way out to APP with the talks of a game with Vance starting up. Lance decided to let the new coach fill the open date. The coaching selection process took months. By the time Wilbanks took the reigns, Vance had already put someone in the slot. There were few schools left with open dates so he did reach out to MH and I also heard Robbinsville but nothing ever came to fruition. Thus we only played TEN regular season games this season and sit at 13-1 going into tomorrow's championship game.

Would love to know where you heard that we declined? Also, would have loved to play Vance this season...this year's team is one of the best in the 6 of 7 year run.

Next year's team will be pretty good. We are losing some athletes at the skill positions but return several D1 studs on defense in Jack Hollifield and 10th grader Malaki Hamrick also 10th grader Santana Flack will start having the offers role in soon...kid is a beast. RB Omar Phillips will be back as well. Our biggest question mark will be at the QB position. Our current backup was the JV QB this season and will only be a 10th grader next season. Not sure what is going to happen at QB.

I am not sure what Shelby has planned for next season. 2021 is the first year of the new alignment so they would probably only do a one off in 2020 as no one is sure how the conference schedules are going to look and will not know until early spring of 2021. It would be profitable for both teams but if I am Shelby I look at what it does for me competitively. You are winning state titles and playing good competition to prepare you.

It will be never happen

The dates and when the games were scheduled is incorrect. The game was availble to be scheduled.

Wilbanks was officially named the new HC the first week of April and it was known before then. I wrote on this site that Lance decided to let the new coach make the call and noted it was the right thing to do. While MH was in the mix after he took the job Vance was still available.

Vance did not hire their new coach until the end of May. The AD was attempting to schedule an eleventh game the whole time. The game with defending VA State Champion, Heritage, was not finalized until June. Vance would have preferred to travel to Shelby for a bigger pay day than Lynchburg.

I wrote that I did not blame Shelby for not taking the game. Already had four solid teams scheduled. Not sure it was a make sense game for them.

Speaking of Lance Ware, his college teammate is the new App State HC. The decision to go to App is going the route he wanted. Well deserved for a class act!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT