ADVERTISEMENT

Regional Rankings

19yardline

Nov 8, 2018
Since everybody has asked for it (ok. nobody has, but you KNOW you want it!), here's the breakdown of where the top 25 teams are by region based on the final regular season ncpreps 2A rankings (can't guarantee that I have all of them in the geographic region they naturally fall in, but hopefully reasonably close):
Western/Mountains(10 ranked teams)- Hilbriten (4), Maiden (5), South Point (6), Burns (8), Chase (13), R-S Central (14), Pisgah (17), Ashe (19), Forbush (23), Bunker Hill (24)
Central/Piedmont (8 ranked teams)- Reidsville (1), North Davidson (3), Shelby (7), Mount Pleasant (9), Randleman (10), Oak Grove (11), Salisbury (12), Eastern Randolph (25)
Eastern/Coastal Plain(7 ranked teams)- Clinton (2), Washington (15), Kinston (16), Croatan (18), St. Pauls (20), Northeastern (21), SW Onslow (22)

So w/o much regard to a team's actual ranking(way too much variability is strengths of schedules to compare w/o numerous common opponents) , but if we're pretty much in agreement that these teams are a good representation of the top 25 teams give-or-take, it appears that quality football is fairly evenly spread across the state. While by my calculation (and ability to look at a map!) the West is currently a little better represented that the other two regions, it's not enough to claim a clear superiority, in fact close enough that wouldn't surprise me if from year-to-year these 3 regions toggle back-and-forth (or perhaps by the end of this years playoffs!). To me, looking at our state from a 3-region approach is more accurate than a straight-up East/West comparison (unless you're willing to accept that Reidsville has somehow been picked up and moved to Eastern N.C...but if it has, then welcome!). Again, just a fun way to compare football across our great state. Some of us old timers (looking at you Wiz!) will remember how each week back in the 60's/early 70's, Sports Illustrated, instead of having a top 20 ranking (no top 25 in those days), listed their top 5 by region: East, West, North and South.

My only question is why you have Burns in the Western/Mountains & Shelby in the Piedmont? Not questioning your rankings, they are pretty accurate, but Burns & Shelby should be in the same region. Actually South Point should be Central too, they are farther "East" than Shelby or Burns

My only question is why you have Burns in the Western/Mountains & Shelby in the Piedmont? Not questioning your rankings, they are pretty accurate, but Burns & Shelby should be in the same region. Actually South Point should be Central too, they are farther "East" than Shelby or Burns
Yeah, like I said , some of my regional assignments could be off based on geography; this eastern N.C. guy is kinda' shaky on locations when he gets past Raleigh (but I'm still sure that Reidsville ain't in the East!)..
And thanks for not questioning "my" rankings, but I pulled those straight from the ncpreps poll. I would never try to put together a poll myself unless I'd seen a team play, and I've seen a whopping 5 teams in action this spring, and all of them down east and only 3 were from 2A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT