ADVERTISEMENT

Referee microphone?

HowerinJr

Jan 9, 2010
I noticed at last night’s Tarboro/Holmes game that the head referee was wearing some kind of wireless microphone. Is this something that’s standard for regional finals? I haven’t seen this at any previous games, but this game there was a big wireless relay system located behind the west end zone. Did this happen at other venues and does anyone know who the guy was talking to?

The ref at the Robbinsville game had a mic too. I'm unsure of the cost to implement it, but it is a nice addition to the game.

Some schools have the white hat wired to announce the results of penalties to the fans. This is totally provided at s school level and is not required.

Most officials are wearing a wireless walkie talkie to communicate with each other on the field. I do not believe NCHSAA is requiring them, but they are strongly suggested. In the Triad all officials were required to use them in all JV and Varsity games by the regional supervisor. Not against them, but officials were required to pay for their own also.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Some schools have the white hat wired to announce the results of penalties to the fans. This is totally provided at s school level and is not required.

Most officials are wearing a wireless walkie talkie to communicate with each other on the field. I do not believe NCHSAA is requiring them, but they are strongly suggested. In the Triad all officials were required to use them in all JV and Varsity games by the regional supervisor. Not against them, but officials were required to pay for their own also.

So the regional supervisor required the officials to buy their own wireless microphones even though it isn't required by the state. That is bogus. If you require something that isn't required by the state, you should foot the bill.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
So the regional supervisor required the officials to buy their own wireless microphones even though it isn't required by the state. That is bogus. If you require something that isn't required by the state, you should foot the bill.

That's just part of it. I mean officials have to buy their own uniforms. Pretty much like being an independent contractor.

That's just part of it. I mean officials have to buy their own uniforms. Pretty much like being an independent contractor.
This year they were required to purchase 2” wide striped shirts. No real reason given. Another $100 for short and long sleeve.

I can see both sides when it comes to the actual uniform and who pays. I know businesses that provide it, while others make you pay. And there are some that provide the shirt, but you have to pay for the pants (since you keep the pants, but have to return the shirt). But when it comes to the other equipment, that should all be on the NCHSAA to provide. We know they're making enough money to put into place the mics and stuff to add a little bit more to the game. I really enjoyed the Rville game with the head ref using the system. I do wish they would also use it when they wave off a flag as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT