ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING

SPRaiders78

May 24, 2020
Belmont
I've seen several posters mention recruiting. I guess I'm going to show my ignorance but I didn't realize recruiting was legal in high school sports. I may be wrong but to my knowledge, South Point does not recruit. I sure liked it better when there were hard rules regarding where students were allowed to play. Recruiting is unfair to schools that have struggled. Their better players move to greener pastures, leaving those schools to continue to struggle. I'm definitely not a fan of the practice

Here my opinion- Big schools with big Reputations Recruit because they WIN . Take Mallard Creek, Hough , Etc Kids move into there area because those teams win now weather coaches and players have any influence on that is possibly high but I believe Many Successful program get a influx of kids or If your school isn’t that good and say for example: Stuart Cramer was going be really bad one year and there best player may go to SP to be on winning team things like this happen In Every State.

Also Open Enrollment and other things has helped kids move around to “Better” schools then where they were at previously

Kids go where they will win or get playing time because there is no loyalty no more at the HS level - just my opinion you don’t have to agree

I remember this person telling me he was at a barbershop. He overheard them talking about a certain HS that was good at the time for a certain period of time. He said this one person said they don’t recruit, the players just change addresses. Even though I know schools can’t and don’t recruit, I found it little humorous at what he said.

Before the county decided you could only go to a school outside of your district IF you moved into the new district OR had a medical condition that made it where you needed to be closer to a parent that worked at or near said school, Clinton used to get athletes from all over the county because if football was your sport and you lived in Sampson Co, you went to Clinton.

Reactions: FOOTBALLFANTIC
I've seen several posters mention recruiting. I guess I'm going to show my ignorance but I didn't realize recruiting was legal in high school sports. I may be wrong but to my knowledge, South Point does not recruit. I sure liked it better when there were hard rules regarding where students were allowed to play. Recruiting is unfair to schools that have struggled. Their better players move to greener pastures, leaving those schools to continue to struggle. I'm definitely not a fan of the practice
Agree 100%! Needs to stop!

WC-W. It will never happen. It’s like the rest of society, the rich get richer and the poor rarely get a fair shake. I don’t mind having down years because very few if any areas have top notch talent year after year. It’s just sad when the best talent in an area always seems to migrate to the same schools year after year. Years ago I was a huge MLB fan. Just like recruiting ruined HS Football, free agency ruined baseball for me.

Reactions: WC-Warriors
Before the county decided you could only go to a school outside of your district IF you moved into the new district OR had a medical condition that made it where you needed to be closer to a parent that worked at or near said school, Clinton used to get athletes from all over the county because if football was your sport and you lived in Sampson Co, you went to Clinton.
Myself and several of my friends actually lived in the Union district in the early 90s. We had to pay an out-of-district fee to attend Clinton. We went to Clinton for football, but also to take advantage of the myriad of classes offered in the city school system that the county didn’t offer.

WC-W. It will never happen. It’s like the rest of society, the rich get richer and the poor rarely get a fair shake. I don’t mind having down years because very few if any areas have top notch talent year after year. It’s just sad when the best talent in an area always seems to migrate to the same schools year after year. Years ago I was a huge MLB fan. Just like recruiting ruined HS Football, free agency ruined baseball for me.
It's our sorry ass school board letting it go on here. Have the rules in place, but don't enforce them period.

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
Mr realjoejr, as WC-W stated there are rules in place to prevent it from happening. The problem is the rules aren’t enforced. Kinda like Attorney Generals in many states that decide, on their own not to enforce certain laws. They should all be fired. If you don’t like the laws or rules petition the powers that be to change them.

Mr realjoejr, as WC-W stated there are rules in place to prevent it from happening. The problem is the rules aren’t enforced. Kinda like Attorney Generals in many states that decide, on their own not to enforce certain laws. They should all be fired. If you don’t like the laws or rules petition the powers that be to change them.

The question really is, how do you teach kids that America is a free country...EXCEPT when it comes to high school football? I know that was a very liberal statement and I'm very conservative. However the rest of the world isn't. So how do you convince a kid who has free will to honor a code or establishment or tradition? The parents. So its not juniors fault he wants to play for Shelby or Crest...you gotta get deeper. Laws and rules are always broken, especially if comes down to profit or attention.

Reactions: Mopar forever
As Lucius Jackson said, “calling it your job don’t make it right boss.” Your statement would have been more acceptable had it come from an East Gaston fan or someone else who usually comes out on the short end of transfers. Very easy to have that viewpoint when your school benefits from the practice.
I used to give Charlotte Catholic fans a hard time about drawing players from all over the place. At least they have something besides sports that unite them The vast majority of students at CC are practicing Catholics.
By using your logic, the struggling programs shouldn’t even have teams. Everyone that wants to play sports should transfer to more successful programs.

No such thing as community pride anymore. It’s all about me, me , me. In college kids take scholarships to play sports. These scholarships should be like contracts. They should be nearly unbreakable. Now it’s not unheard of for a kid to transfer two or three times. When I was a kid, I don’t know of anyone who would have been willing to leave their town, community or school district to play somewhere else. Nowadays I guess there is nothing that holds communities together. Most folks these days don’t even know their neighbors.

No such thing as community pride anymore. It’s all about me, me , me. In college kids take scholarships to play sports. These scholarships should be like contracts. They should be nearly unbreakable. Now it’s not unheard of for a kid to transfer two or three times. When I was a kid, I don’t know of anyone who would have been willing to leave their town, community or school district to play somewhere else. Nowadays I guess there is nothing that holds communities together. Most folks these days don’t even know their neighbors.
Lots of factors. But one that can’t be overlooked....travel ball. It’s become more important than ties to a school.

But we are free to move to a better job. For some kids a move can make sense. I know at reidsville we haven’t had to worry about losing many transfers

College is closer to a job, way more money involved, coaches can bail anytime they please and if I’m at school A and I am not playing, best believe I will find a place I can. You can’t compare HS to college it’s apples to oranges

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
Recruiting does happen all the time. Yes, some schools get transfers because of their success but recruiting happens all the time and at a lot of schools. i know "my school" doesnt recruit, but trust me, if your school gets a significant number of transfers regularly, there is something going on.

And i cant even fathom what America being the land of freedom has to do with recruiting. You can move all you want, but we have a LOT of kids who dont move, use different adresses, are recruited and THEN move, etc. We have to have rules. Now, they arent being enforced nearly enough if at all but there has to be aframework. As it is now, the people following the rules are being punished and the rulebreakers are rewarded.

Scholarships are generally given a year at a time. That’s because universities don’t want to commit to an athlete for four years and they can pull his scholarship for a number of reasons including him getting hurt. With that in mind, why should a kid who the university won’t fully commit to be required to fully commit to the university?

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Recruiting does happen all the time. Yes, some schools get transfers because of their success but recruiting happens all the time and at a lot of schools. i know "my school" doesnt recruit, but trust me, if your school gets a significant number of transfers regularly, there is something going on.

And i cant even fathom what America being the land of freedom has to do with recruiting. You can move all you want, but we have a LOT of kids who dont move, use different adresses, are recruited and THEN move, etc. We have to have rules. Now, they arent being enforced nearly enough if at all but there has to be aframework. As it is now, the people following the rules are being punished and the rulebreakers are rewarded.
Correct. Sure is regular round here.

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
WC-W, do you know where you are loosing players too? I said earlier that to my knowledge SP didn’t recruit, that doesn’t mean that they don’t. I hope not but this day and time I wouldn’t be surprised. I guess there is a difference between recruiting and kids transferring on their own. Either way I don’t like the practice.

Scholarships are generally given a year at a time. That’s because universities don’t want to commit to an athlete for four years and they can pull his scholarship for a number of reasons including him getting hurt. With that in mind, why should a kid who the university won’t fully commit to be required to fully commit to the university?
Ugh, NO. Colleges can't pull scholarships just because a player is injured and cannot play.

Ugh, NO. Colleges can't pull scholarships just because a player is injured and cannot play.
Scholarships are yearly and it’s up to the university as to whether or not they renew an injured athletes scholarship. You might want to do a little research on that. If a player gets hurt, their scholarship is only guaranteed until the end of that school year and then the university can move on from them.

A good article about this topic from The NY Times that notes “Under N.C.A.A. rules, players can still lose their scholarships after being hurt....” while discussing the need for reform of the system.

Also, HBO did a documentary on Kyle Hardrick, a basketball player at Oklahoma who lost his scholarship after tearing his meniscus. He’s one of many that’s happened to over the years. It’s somewhat rare because it’s not a good look for the university but it still happens.

So YES, they can lose their scholarships due to injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT